Tommy Byrne?

The place for respectful and reverent discussion of Reject drivers and teams, whether profiled or not as yet
Chilled Phill

Tommy Byrne?

Post by Chilled Phill »

An interesting story of sorts from this somewhat unknown Irishman. Showed plently of promise in Formula Ford and Formula Three. Sadly never got into F1 after a certain interview with Ron Dennis, I believe Byrne put it down to this one question:

"How to do you rate the importance of R&D?" - Dennis

Byrne's answer of "Oh, what's that then...?" wasn't exactly the most impressive answer in Dennis' eyes and despite a great showing at the McLaren test drive, a reward (originally made that year for Ayrton Senna if I remember correctly...) for winning the British Formula Three championship, wasn't good enough for the Woking team. Even then, apparently the team tuned down Byrne's car during that particular test and yet he was still faster than John Watson.

Anyway, having read his autobiography, "Crashed and Byrned", it has a very interesting story to tell and five GP entries and only two GP starts (both ending in retirement) he qualifies for F1 Reject-dom... ;)
Alexander

Re: Tommy Byrne?

Post by Alexander »

I think he is one of those talents where the big question is: "what if...?". He showed real great talent in a car, but outside he was "undesirable" (to put it mildly) as a driver. Someone I would love to see in the Formula Master series, if something like that ever races again.

His book is great, I would recommend it to any one interested in motor racing.
"A Ferrari is a scaled down version of God" - Jeremy Clarkson
Chilled Phill

Post by Chilled Phill »

Indeed. Although I wasn't really around to have the pleasure of seeing him in action... :(

Agree with you somewhat in terms of his off track attitude. Although one could pin that down to his desire to leave Dundulk (?), although "desire" doesn't really fully capture that idea... ;) But one has to admire his sense of humour. :lol:
Enforcer
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Enforcer »

It is a good book (if you like reading loads of swear words), and he was clearly a driver with some talent. Leaving the McLaren test aside, you have to wonder what would've happened if whatever he thinks had broken on his Theodore in Austria had stayed in good nick and he'd qualified in the 13th place he got in free practice.
Faustus
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Faustus »

I've just finished reading "Crashed and Byrned". Great book, highly recommended!
Following Formula 1 since 1984.
Avid collector of Formula 1 season guides and reviews.
Collector of reject merchandise and 1/43rd scale reject model cars.