2016 Silly Season Thread

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
Rob Dylan

Re: 2016 Silly Season Thread

Post by Rob Dylan »

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/122169
Alonso confirmed for MotoGP Honda seat, 2016.
Murray Walker at the 1997 Austrian Grand Prix wrote:The other [Stewart] driver, who nobody's been paying attention to, because he's disappointing, is Jan Magnussen.
Felipe Nasr - the least forgettable F1 driver!
Fetzie

Post by Fetzie »

Rob Dylan wrote:http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/122169

Fastest he's been all year :/
UncreativeUsername37

Post by UncreativeUsername37 »

"Confirmed" is... exaggerating it.
Rob Dylan wrote:Mercedes paying homage to the other W12 chassis by breaking down 30 minutes in
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

UgncreativeUsergname wrote:

"Confirmed" is... exaggerating it.

You heard it here first!
Murray Walker at the 1997 Austrian Grand Prix wrote:The other [Stewart] driver, who nobody's been paying attention to, because he's disappointing, is Jan Magnussen.
girry

Post by girry »

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/122199

Formula 1 too focused on protecting small teams - Fernando Alonso

...ohhh...dear....
when you're dead people start listening
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

Small teams like McLaren?
Dj_bereta

Post by Dj_bereta »

Typical statement from Alonso, but he is forgetting the fact that a small team was very important in his career.
Waiting for Lotus hiring Johnny Cecotto jr.
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

Dj_bereta wrote:Typical statement from Alonso, but he is forgetting the fact that a small team was very important in his career.

He is also forgetting that it were not for the small teams, he and his team would have been dead last for pretty much all the races this season and thanks to them he was spared of such ignominy.
Colin Kolles on F111, 2011 HRT challenger: The car doesn't look too bad; it looks like a modern F1 car.
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

Dj_bereta wrote:Typical statement from Alonso, but he is forgetting the fact that a small team was very important in his career.

Not just that, but said small team was saved before the season began.
I like the way Snrub thinks!
mario

Post by mario »

DanielPT wrote:

He is also forgetting that it were not for the small teams, he and his team would have been dead last for pretty much all the races this season and thanks to them he was spared of such ignominy.

I have to agree that Alonso's comments are rather short sighted - asides from the increased competition those teams provide, they are essential outfits for nurturing and developing new talents, both in terms of drivers and in terms of designers. Without those smaller teams, I would wager that the sport would stagnate fairly quickly (we already see many complaining about a lack of opportunities for promising up and coming drivers, a situation that is unlikely to improve if the number of small teams fell).
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

Dj_bereta wrote:Typical statement from Alonso.

To be honest, I didn't think it was a typical statement from Alonso. I don't recall him having such a short-sighted view in the past. Ron Dennis must be rubbing off on him (Urgh, what an image)
Just For One Day...
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

CoopsII wrote:
Dj_bereta wrote:Typical statement from Alonso.

To be honest, I didn't think it was a typical statement from Alonso. I don't recall him having such a short-sighted view in the past. Ron Dennis must be rubbing off on him (Urgh, what an image)

New signature I think :D
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

Sebastian Vettel wrote:If I was good at losing I wouldn't be in Formula 1.
Everything's great.
I'm not surprised about anything.
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

€15 million! For you yanks that's $16.5 million or £10.8 million in Sterling. Not to be sniffed at, but hardly megabucks Maldonado level. Still, I suspect Manor will be delighted with that cash.
I want my MTV...Simtek Ford

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
AxelP800

Post by AxelP800 »

AndreaModa wrote:€15 million! For you yanks that's $16.5 million or £10.8 million in Sterling. Not to be sniffed at, but hardly megabucks Maldonado level. Still, I suspect Manor will be delighted with that cash.

15m euros is what Manor ask to Haryanto if he wants to race with them. Source from local newspaper and sites
Rio Haryanto for the win!
He upon seeing me accidentaly paint Belgian flag rotated 90 deg to right
tommykl returns from the bathroom
tommykl reads the chat logs
tommykl has a stroke
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

Go Manor. Maybe they can actually pay for those Mercedes engines now :D
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

If Manor's new package proves even remotely competitive, I reckon he will be a driver to watch in 2016. Even if that removed yet another seat from more capable and awarded hands.
Last edited by DanielPT on 11 Dec 2015, 18:04, edited 1 time in total.
Colin Kolles on F111, 2011 HRT challenger: The car doesn't look too bad; it looks like a modern F1 car.
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

He still doesn't have a valid superlicense though; he had one in 2012, but it will expire and there's no guarantee it'll be renewed. Will Buxton is suggesting that Jean Todt won't want his new points system to be bypassed in the first year, and although I know you guys think it'll be sidestepped, it probably won't be.

It's a letter of intent and nothing more, and I suspect Manor will use it to eke a bit more out of Mercedes for Wehrlein, or from Rossi and Stevens' backers.
Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
novitopoli
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by novitopoli »

Who would have, then, enough points to get a superlicense with the new system? Wehrlein?
sw3ishida wrote:Jolyon Palmer brought us closer as a couple, for which I am grateful.

Ataxia wrote:
Londoner wrote:Something I've thought about - what happens to our canon should we have a worldwide recession or some other outside event?

We'll be fine. It's Canon, non Kodak.
Miguel98

Post by Miguel98 »

novitopoli wrote:Who would have, then, enough points to get a superlicense with the new system? Wehrlein?

Nope.

You know who has enough points? ANDRE LOTTERER
Mario on Gutierrez after the Italian Grand Prix wrote:He's no longer just a bit of a tool, he's the entire tool set.

18-07-2015: Forever in our hearts Jules.
25-08-2015: Forever in our hearts Justin.
sswishbone

Post by sswishbone »

The points system got even more convoluted with the changes due to the originally non-existant F2 championship, introduction of DTM and Indycar and all that. I know that Buemi, Davidson, Webber, Hartley and Bernhard have enough via WEC. Doubt any of them will be battling their way back to the grid any time soon
"Hispania are a waste of talent and petrol!" Martin Brundle, Australia Qualifying 2011

Live streams and podcasts from yours truly at http://www.youtube.com/user/sswishbone
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

Buemi's got to be due a comeback, right?
And I haven't heard about Hartley in like 6 years! Back in 2009 I remember him being touted as "the next big thing" in a few years, and I haven't heard about him since.
AxelP800

Post by AxelP800 »

Rob Dylan wrote:Buemi's got to be due a comeback, right?
And I haven't heard about Hartley in like 6 years! Back in 2009 I remember him being touted as "the next big thing" in a few years, and I haven't heard about him since.

Hartley is 2015 WEC champion! It's a thing!
Rio Haryanto for the win!
He upon seeing me accidentaly paint Belgian flag rotated 90 deg to right
tommykl returns from the bathroom
tommykl reads the chat logs
tommykl has a stroke
AdrianBelmonte_

Post by AdrianBelmonte_ »

Miguel98 wrote:
novitopoli wrote:Who would have, then, enough points to get a superlicense with the new system? Wehrlein?

Nope.

Lotterer-Stevens for '16 lineup, PLEASE, LET ME DREAM ABOUT IT
#FoxesFansHooligans

#HaasShouldBeSoLucky
RonDenisDeletraz

Post by RonDenisDeletraz »

AdrianBelmonte_ wrote:
Miguel98 wrote:

Nope.

Lotterer-Stevens for '16 lineup, PLEASE, LET ME DREAM ABOUT IT

I would love to see a Lotterer-Treluyer lineup in F1, doubt it would ever haapen though
aerond wrote:Yes RDD, but we always knew you never had any sort of taste either :P

tommykl wrote:I have a shite car and meme sponsors, but Corrado Fabi will carry me to the promised land with the power of Lionel Richie.
Klon
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Klon »

Ataxia wrote:Will Buxton is suggesting that Jean Todt won't want his new points system to be bypassed in the first year, and although I know you guys think it'll be sidestepped, it probably won't be.

I must disagree with Buxton there. This points system falls under the classic "let's give a "solution" to a supposed "problem" so the unwashed masses keep their worthless traps shut"-method of FIA management (an approach I fully support). I cannot imagine Todt cares about it anymore than he does about a random pimple on his face.
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

Klon wrote:
Ataxia wrote:Will Buxton is suggesting that Jean Todt won't want his new points system to be bypassed in the first year, and although I know you guys think it'll be sidestepped, it probably won't be.

I must disagree with Buxton there. This points system falls under the classic "let's give a "solution" to a supposed "problem" so the unwashed masses keep their worthless traps shut"-method of FIA management (an approach I fully support). I cannot imagine Todt cares about it anymore than he does about a random pimple on his face.

Funny... Todt always struck me like the kind of guy who went berserk if he woke up with a pimple on his face. After Ferrari one got the idea he went deep on details and now with his tenure at FIA where he got more worried about image and moving up the politics ladder than about ruling the sport and FIA itself, both ideas coupled together clearly show that he would care a lot about a pimple. Although, given how spineless he is, I am sure an arrangement can be made. Like with the engines, the ruling of the sport and pretty much anything else FIA related.
Bobby Doorknobs

Post by Bobby Doorknobs »

#FreeGonzo
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

Hardly a definitive "no". Motorsport.com are reporting the decision has been delayed until January. Whether it goes ahead or not, the wait can't be doing the team any good. You can only be in limbo for so long. Just ask Lotus.
I want my MTV...Simtek Ford

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
Wallio
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Wallio »

Ataxia wrote:He still doesn't have a valid superlicense though; he had one in 2012, but it will expire and there's no guarantee it'll be renewed. Will Buxton is suggesting that Jean Todt won't want his new points system to be bypassed in the first year, and although I know you guys think it'll be sidestepped, it probably won't be.

It's a letter of intent and nothing more, and I suspect Manor will use it to eke a bit more out of Mercedes for Wehrlein, or from Rossi and Stevens' backers.

Yes it will. Again, this points system is MEANINGLESS. If they gave Kimi a license back in the day, they are in no way going to deny one to a driver who ALREADY HAD ONE. Plus all Manor has to say is it needs the money or it will fold (which is probably true). No way Todt will let a team go after all the economic backlash of the last 18 months.

Just a shame though, as this locks Rossi out of a race seat....
Professional Historian/Retired Drag Racer/Whiskey Enthusiast

"He makes the move on the outside, and knowing George as we do, he's probably on the radio right now telling the team how great he is." - James Hinchcliffe on George Russell
mario

Post by mario »

Wallio wrote:
Ataxia wrote:He still doesn't have a valid superlicense though; he had one in 2012, but it will expire and there's no guarantee it'll be renewed. Will Buxton is suggesting that Jean Todt won't want his new points system to be bypassed in the first year, and although I know you guys think it'll be sidestepped, it probably won't be.

Yes it will. Again, this points system is MEANINGLESS. If they gave Kimi a license back in the day, they are in no way going to deny one to a driver who ALREADY HAD ONE. Plus all Manor has to say is it needs the money or it will fold (which is probably true). No way Todt will let a team go after all the economic backlash of the last 18 months.

Just a shame though, as this locks Rossi out of a race seat....

Looking more thoroughly at the regulations, Haryanto might be able to sidestep the points total requirement when you review the additional clauses for former superlicence holders - presumably, the FIA included those clauses to cover drivers who have previously raced in F1 but could theoretically return to the sport.

Asides from points, there are two other ways a driver can become eligible to earn a superlicence:
1) If they have been awarded a full superlicence within the last three years;
2) If they were awarded a full superlicence more than three years ago, but have recent experience in a high powered single seater car.

Now, Haryanto could argue that, having raced continuously in GP2 since he gained his superlicence in 2012 and having finished 4th in the championship this year, he would be eligible under that second clause. That clause effectively allows all parties to save face, since the idea of the points total remains intact whilst allowing the FIA to award a superlicence to Haryanto under that exception.
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

Mr and Mrs Button are going their separate ways. So, er, where will he end up next?
Just For One Day...
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

So Jessica is single again? Better put on my best cologne...

...but seriously that didn't last too long now did it? Didn't they have a long break-up when they were going out a couple of years ago? Gossip gossip gossip!
andrew

Post by andrew »

Well that caps off an awful year for Button.
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

andrew wrote:Well that caps off an awful year for Button.

Not necessarily. He may feel well rid of the miserable cow.
Just For One Day...
andrew

Post by andrew »

CoopsII wrote:
andrew wrote:Well that caps off an awful year for Button.

Not necessarily. He may feel well rid of the miserable cow.

Haaha, for. Second I thaught you meant Ron Dennis
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

CoopsII wrote:Mr and Mrs Button are going their separate ways. So, er, where will he end up next?

The news is currently the second-most read news story on the BBC News website...
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
Aguaman

Post by Aguaman »

dr-baker wrote:
CoopsII wrote:Mr and Mrs Button are going their separate ways. So, er, where will he end up next?

The news is currently the second-most read news story on the BBC News website...

It's important gossip.
AustralianStig

Post by AustralianStig »

New tyre rules finally explained properly:

http://www.skysports.com/f1/news/24100/ ... -explained

I'm actually really looking forward to this. I don't think it will affect the races all that much, but will certainly throw up some extra strategic options for qualifying, especially Q2.
Join the GP Rejects league at Fantasy F1: https://fantasy.formula1.com/join/?=2a1f25

CoopsII wrote:
Biscione wrote:To the surprise of no-one, Daniil Kvyat wins ROTR for Sochi, by a record margin that may not be surpassed for some time.

I always knew Marko read this forum.