2016 Bahrain Grand Prix

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
Londoner

Re: 2016 Bahrain Grand Prix

Post by Londoner »

What a blinding vote of confidence in Vandoorne that is. Seriously, screw McLaren. :x
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
Aguaman

Post by Aguaman »

CoopsII wrote:
Aguaman wrote:Herbert calls for Alonso to retire.

Why does he hate Alonso as much as Keith hated Maldonado?

My first thought was 'Go Home Johnny Herbert!' but having read his comments I sort of see where he's coming from even if I don't fully agree with him. Certainly looking at the stats it looks like Alonso's been on the slide for some time and if he was a few years older then maybe I would agree more with JH but they guys' still young enough to deliver with a half decent car, I think.

Fernando is still good enough. He's been on this train of Alonso should retire since the last year of Ferrari.
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

What's ironic (don't you think?) is that F1 drivers as a species are notorious for clinging on to their careers when their best days are behind them and Herbert epitomises that as much as anybody.
Just For One Day...
Miguel98

Post by Miguel98 »

If Ferrari take pole... Dick measuring runs by Mercedes confirmed.
Mario on Gutierrez after the Italian Grand Prix wrote:He's no longer just a bit of a tool, he's the entire tool set.

18-07-2015: Forever in our hearts Jules.
25-08-2015: Forever in our hearts Justin.
Aguaman

Post by Aguaman »

Dig this track at night. Looks very pretty.
Aguaman

Post by Aguaman »

Haryanto ahead of Nasr. Yay
Aguaman

Post by Aguaman »

Wehrlein in Q2

Oh wait it's not the old system.

Woo 16th.
Meatwad

Post by Meatwad »

Wehrlein! :dance:

Pérez down in 18th... That's karma for you, Force India!
Aguaman

Post by Aguaman »

I miss Maldonado. :(

Kevin doesn't have the same charm.
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

They've lost a minute of Q2 due to the lights failing. Pinnacle of motorsport, this.

Wehrlein is the hero we need, but we don't deserve at this time.
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
Aguaman

Post by Aguaman »

Stoffel ahead of Jense.

Tsk tsk tsk.
Aguaman

Post by Aguaman »

lol this session is a flop
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

........my god, this is actually WORSE than Melbourne. ImageImageImage
AxelP800

Post by AxelP800 »

What in the world is Williams doing :?:
Rio Haryanto for the win!
He upon seeing me accidentaly paint Belgian flag rotated 90 deg to right
tommykl returns from the bathroom
tommykl reads the chat logs
tommykl has a stroke
Aguaman

Post by Aguaman »

It's too late for this qualifying. Qualifying can go bathplug off with Herbert and his ugly shirt.
AxelP800

Post by AxelP800 »

Ham only 4th!
Rosberg pole again!

EDIT Not yet !

It's good, with 3 minutes to go done
tommykl has a stroke
Aguaman

Post by Aguaman »

Lewis gets the pole :O
Miguel98

Post by Miguel98 »

New lap record at Sakhir!!!!

Slow cars? Uh? 2004 cars the best? Your ass.
Mario on Gutierrez after the Italian Grand Prix wrote:He's no longer just a bit of a tool, he's the entire tool set.

tommykl

Post by tommykl »

I'm already seeing plenty of people proclaiming the "death of the sport".

I would like to make the point that this is qualifying. Qualifying is not the essence of the sport, it is a means to an end, and that end is to set the grid for the race.

If The Sport™ were a person, that person hasn't been killed. That person has just taken up macramé.
kevinbotz wrote:Cantonese is a completely nonsensical f*cking alien language masquerading as some grossly bastardised form of Chinese

Gonzo wrote:Wasn't there some sort of communisim in the East part of Germany?
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

And suddenly, we have a new twist

That surely means a back row start for Hamilton if this is true.
mario

Post by mario »

East Londoner wrote:And suddenly, we have a new twist

That surely means a back row start for Hamilton if this is true.

There are rumours going round that the FIA have chosen to just reprimand Hamilton instead of giving a full penalty.
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
Nessafox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nessafox »

tommykl wrote:I'm already seeing plenty of people proclaiming the "death of the sport".

I would like to make the point that this is qualifying. Qualifying is not the essence of the sport, it is a means to an end, and that end is to set the grid for the race.

If The Sport™ were a person, that person hasn't been killed. That person has just taken up macramé.

Indeed. The majority of casual F1 fans never watched qualifying anyway. And to admit, I rarely watched it either. (mostly because i can't be bothered to get up as early as 1 pm :D )
I don't know what i want and i want it now!
Barbazza

Post by Barbazza »

I like Johnny but here he's talking bollocks. All Fernando needs to do is point to Johnny's final season in F1 which, unless I'm misremembering was pretty much utterly terrible. He could then turn round and point to Damon Hill as well, come to think of it.
Miguel98

Post by Miguel98 »

Barbazza wrote:

I like Johnny but here he's talking bollocks. All Fernando needs to do is point to Johnny's final season in F1 which, unless I'm misremembering was pretty much utterly terrible. He could then turn round and point to Damon Hill as well, come to think of it.

Except for 2 or 3 races, where he was hit by the shittiest of lucks, yes, he was vastly outperformed by Eddie "3rd highest paid employer at Ford" Irvine.

Enforcer
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Enforcer »

I didn't actually see Australia, so I didn't know how bad the qualy was. But having seen it here, it's kind of unbelievable that they didn't predict this.

"Hey guys, do you know the way a lap of fuel is estimated to cost on average 1/10th of a second in lap time? So all the drivers will want just enough fuel to stop the car fuel starving as it comes back into the pits, and no one is going to take more than that? Let's set up a qualy format that starts eliminating people before they have time to make a run, stop for more fuel and then make a second run? So the end of the session is nearly a ghost town?"
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

Barbazza wrote:

Guess what? Alonso went to pay Herbert a visit!

As for qualifying, well, I understand why people rage about it, specially those within F1, but I still think it is not that bad. Sure, checkered flag with no cars running and the clock reaching zero and everything already decided looks awkward but last year we also got lots of time without anything happening on the track and people weren't furious about that. Again, it is a question of removing time to Q3 for the two runs or increasing the number of tyres (perhaps the latter with changing how the tyres behave lasting two flat out laps, like in the past). What hurt Q2 this time was teams preferring to have free choice of tyre for the race instead of trying another lap (those who had the time of course) to unseat others. Only Hulk made what he and others were supposed to do. As for Q1, well, sure the clock thing also happened here, but there was plenty of excitement during this period specially with those Werhlein and MRT heroics. We even managed to see a full lap of him! Many must forgive me but I will go against our former overlords on this one and say this kind of Q1 is probably the best format that happened in a long time for us reject lovers. There is so much more focus on the back markers! It was great to listen to Portuguese commentators backing Pascal on his run! Yet I can already imagine the Mark Webbers of this world moaning about it... :(

To conclude. This format still has potential. It just needs tweaking... and probably more tyres.
Colin Kolles on F111, 2011 HRT challenger: The car doesn't look too bad; it looks like a modern F1 car.
Miguel98

Post by Miguel98 »

Daniel, we can probably brag about having the best commentator team in Europe :geek:

dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

DanielPT wrote: It just needs tweaking....

I feel bad for thinking that this said, "it just needs more twerking." :oops:
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
Nessafox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nessafox »

dr-baker wrote:

You.... want to see the current F1 drivers twerk....? :facepalm: You really want to see Hamilton twerk? Metaphorically speaking, we indeed want to see more F1 cars shaking their rear ends.

Personally - this time i watched (to see Vandoornes debut) - i think Q1 isn't that bad. It could work if they changed 90 seconds with something a bit longer, i suppose. I even think it will actually work on tracks like Monaco where starting position is more crucial than strategy.
Last edited by Nessafox on 02 Apr 2016, 23:55, edited 1 time in total.
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

Only just got around to watching qualifying, and it was just as shite as last time.

Wehrlein, Vandoorne and Haas were bright spots though.
I like the way Snrub thinks!
Bobby Doorknobs

Post by Bobby Doorknobs »

dr-baker wrote:

You should feel even worse for making that comment and putting horrible images in our heads :P
#FreeGonzo
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

Great to see Pascal in P16. I wondered why he didn't come in, do a quick race-speed pitstop and go back out and set another lap because, being the last driver to be eliminated, he wasn't constricted to the 90 second countdown, right? So perhaps he could have made Q2, but realistically I suppose he would still have ended up only 14th/15th maybe. Considering Manor's tyre choices, probably better to save the extra set of tyres.
I want my MTV...Simtek Ford

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
Nessafox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nessafox »

AndreaModa wrote:Great to see Pascal in P16. I wondered why he didn't come in, do a quick race-speed pitstop and go back out and set another lap because, being the last driver to be eliminated, he wasn't constricted to the 90 second countdown, right? So perhaps he could have made Q2, but realistically I suppose he would still have ended up only 14th/15th maybe. Considering Manor's tyre choices, probably better to save the extra set of tyres.

Because maybe Manor feel they have some genuine race pace too, and don't want to compromise their strategy?
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

AndreaModa wrote:Great to see Pascal in P16. I wondered why he didn't come in, do a quick race-speed pitstop and go back out and set another lap because, being the last driver to be eliminated, he wasn't constricted to the 90 second countdown, right? So perhaps he could have made Q2, but realistically I suppose he would still have ended up only 14th/15th maybe. Considering Manor's tyre choices, probably better to save the extra set of tyres.

Also, they're unable to refuel in the pits nowadays. They have to be pulled back into the garage. And I think yesterday, Brundle said that they could only refuel at a rate of 0.8 litres per hour, so it is not quick.
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
sswishbone

Post by sswishbone »

Watched qualifying this morning and I like the elimination in Q1, that works, there's enough time for people with the poor runs to go again, but also enough chance for the little teams to scalp. But in Q2 it was awful, at one point between 8th and 14th were covered by 2/10s but rather than let everyone have pretty much the F1 equivalent of a bare knuckle brawl to get in to Q3, drop drivers after barely any time has passed so the last six minutes are almost totally lifeless. Had Hamilton not messed up in his first run same would have happened in Q3

Q1 - current elimination
Q2 & Q3 - Old system

There I've solved it, Bernie you can have that for free, just get it done!
"Hispania are a waste of talent and petrol!" Martin Brundle, Australia Qualifying 2011

Live streams and podcasts from yours truly at http://www.youtube.com/user/sswishbone
Miguel98

Post by Miguel98 »

This wrote:

Because maybe Manor feel they have some genuine race pace too, and don't want to compromise their strategy?

If they display the same tyre wear as in Melbourne, they are insanelly screwed in the race.

AxelP800

Post by AxelP800 »

Read carefully please

Hmm F1 and Eccelstone seems to screw something the fans are happy with (quali) so to reverse the curse I'm going to say this elimination qualifying is the best ever system F1 has ever use. Great excitement, action, drama. Keep it up!
tommykl has a stroke
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

Brilliant. I always liked Johnny Herbert but he just got owned.
Just For One Day...
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

Dear HWNSNBM, this lot couldn't organise a piss up in a brewery. :roll:
Miguel98

Post by Miguel98 »

2005 system?

Hum.... No. One lap qualifying only please. bathplug AGREGGATE SYSTEMS.