F1 Challenge '99-'02

The place for alternate championships that use real results as a base of forming alternative results, driver careers, and games in general
Nuppiz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: My F1 Challenge career/general F1C discussion

Post by Nuppiz »

Results - 1989 Monaco GP

Fastest lap: Alain Prost, 1:28.650

Sophie Fabron wrote:Mais oui! I won the Monaco Grand Prix, and my team mate also got on the podium! And the last two thirds of it were surprisingly easy. The start saw Brundle, Brabham and Martini stall, and on the tight Monaco main straight that meant chaos. All cars ahead of me except the McLarens and Gugelmin's March collided, so I was 4th by the first corner. I then kept with the pace of Gugelmin, but couldn't challenge him until on lap 5 he hit the barriers at Nouvelle Chicane and spun right in front of me. I narrowly avoided the collision and was on 3rd place! However, the narrow escape left me mentally shaken for a moment and so Pirro (who had also benefited from the start chaos) got past me at Rascasse, but I quickly recovered and outbraked him into St. Devote, so I was back in 3rd. I knew that my pace was nowhere near the McLarens, so instead of chasing Senna I concentrated on keeping Pirro behind me. Then on lap 16, Senna made a mistake very similar to Gugelmin's, and I just barely managed to get past him as well! Having noticed that I could easily benefit from other people's mistakes, I decided to try keeping my gap to Prost as small as possible. However, on the next lap I braked too late to Nouvelle and overshot it. Luckily I didn't break the car nor get a penalty for cutting the track, but while I had to correct my position Senna and Pirro got past me again.

As it turns out, that was the last time I lost positions in the race. Prost had caught up with Piercarlo Ghinzani, but for some reason the Italian didn't move over despite being a lap down and even more oddly Prost couldn't get past him at all despite the massive difference between the two cars. Soon Senna and Pirro joined the line as well, and Ghinzani Express circled around the track! They lost so much time that already by the next lap (18) I had caught up with them and got past Pirro again just after Piscine. Next up was Senna at Loews, and on lap 19 just after Piscine I overtook Prost and was 1st! Ghinzani then let me past very easily right after that - was this planned all along? I started to suspect that even more as it became clear that Ghinzani was still holding up the rest of the pack, as in just six laps I had an almost 20 second gap to the 2nd place. How he did not get black flagged still remains a mystery, but eventually Prost got tired of him on lap 25 and literally punted him out of the way. However, this also cost Prost a couple of positions and he dropped down to fifth, so now it was Senna who chased me, but Ghinzani had cost him almost 20 seconds so I had a comfortable lead and didn't feel threatened at all. It didn't take long for his brakes to fail, so for a few laps Pirro was second before he hit the barriers and was forced to replace his front wing. Suddenly Alesi found himself in second, albeit about 50 seconds behind me. During that phase Alliot, who was 4th at the time, had a frightening accident which saw his car land upside down after its brakes failed at - you guessed it right - Nouvelle Chicane. However, he was OK and the car got cleared out of the way very quickly.

It didn't take long for the same chicane to claim yet another victim as Alesi went wide and lost his rear wing. He managed to limp to the pits but the car was damaged beyond reasonable repair so the team decided to retire him. Then it was Piquet's turn to be second, but by then the gap was already over a minute. It was in fact so long that even though I was given a stop-and-go penalty as I again overshot the Nouvelle on lap 38, by the time I had finished my penalty there was no visible reduction in the gap between us. Apparently Alliot's accident had frightened other drivers and they hesitated to overtake lapped drivers, which made them lose huge amounts of time. Around lap 45 I already overtook Piquet, so I was a lap ahead of everyone else! I made my only actual pitstop on lap 58 as I made a mistake at Tabac and lost my front wing. At the same time my rather worn hard tyres were replaced with fresh soft ones, and I was soon back on the track. Meanwhile, Piquet was doing a whole bunch of mistakes which eventually cost him the second place as Pirro retook it. Meanwhile, Prost had not gained any positions as he struggled with a suspension that had been damaged in the collision with Ghinzani. The problems eventually became too big and he had to retire from 6th place. For some reason no-one even attempted to overtake lapped traffic, and there were basically two packs of cars circling around the track at slow speeds while I had the time of my life and lapped them again. And again. And again. And all this time Tarquini was making an excellent job as he rose through the ranks from 10th to 3rd in just twenty laps. Perhaps Pirro was the only driver besides him who actually overtook cars, given that in the end he was two laps ahead of the others. At around lap 73 I felt that my tyres were nearing the end of their cycle, but even though I was literally laps ahead of everyone else I decided to get to the finish without another pitstop. So, I won with the largest margin in F1 history, and a brilliant day for AGS was made even better when Tarquini got home third!

I just can't believe it , me and my team are leading both championships with ease! How long can this continue.

Most of that is based on assumptions, because the game won't save full replays as it CTDs every time I exit a race. So I had to rely on instant replay and pausing the game every now and then to go through all the cars to see their positions.

So yeah, as it turns out reducing aggression also reduced the quality of racing a lot, as the AI decided to ensure its ROTR for this race by making the AI cars very hesistant to overtake each other, even if the other one was a lap down. Also, almost every lap at least one car spun at Nouvelle Chicane and they had to replace their front wings so often that the world market price of carbon fibre rose. That further slowed them down. Meanwhile I was posting 1:30 lap times and still caught up the others by a lap time and again, so it was actually too easy.Next track will be Mexico - there I can again use more AI aggression and the fact that the track is relatively new to me means that I probably won't be that good there. Probably.

Some pics:

Start chaos, I'm on the far right.

Ovetaking Senna (for the second time) at Loews in the middle of the Ghinzani Express:

A triumphant win:

Driver's championship standings
1. Sophie Fabron 22
2. Christian Danner 9
3. Andrea de Cesaris 6
== Philippe Alliot 6
== Emanuele Pirro 6
5. Michele Alboreto 4
== Gabriele Tarquini 4
7. Roberto Moreno 3
== Olivier Grouillard 3
== Nelson Piquet 3
10. Eddie Cheever 2
== Ivan Capelli 2
12. Ayrton Senna 1
== Satoru Nakajima 1

Constructor's championship standings
1. AGS-Ford 26
2. Lola-Lamborghini 10
3. Rial-Ford 9
4. Dallara-Ford 6
== Benetton-Ford 6
6. Lotus-Judd 4
7. Coloni-Ford 3
== Ligier-Ford 3
9. Arrows-Ford 2
== March-Judd 2
11. McLaren-Honda 1
Last edited by Nuppiz on 10 Aug 2012, 13:57, edited 2 times in total.
Eurosport broadcast for the 1990 Mexican GP prequalifying:
"The Life, it looked very lifeless yet again... in fact Bruno did one, slow lap"
Nuppiz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nuppiz »

Results - Prequalifying for the 1989 Mexican Grand Prix
Pos.|Driver|Team||Best Lap|Gap

1. Alex Caffi Dallara-Ford 1:18.763
2. Sophie Fabron AGS-Ford 1:18.926 +0.163
3. Nicola Larini Osella-Ford 1:18.999 +0.236
4. Martin Brundle Brabham-Judd 1:19.122 +0.359
5. Stefano Modena Brabham-Judd 1:19.236 +0.473
6. Stefan Johansson Onyx-Ford 1:19.570 +0.807
7. Pierre-Henri Raphanel Coloni-Ford 1:19.670 +0.907
8. Piercarlo Ghinzani Osella-Ford 1:19.834 +1.071
9. Bernd Schneider Zakspeed-Yamaha 1:19.938 +1.175
10. Bertrand Gachot Onyx-Ford 1:20.022 +1.259
11. Aguri Suzuki Zakspeed-Yamaha 1:20.160 +1.397
12. Gregor Foitek EuroBrun-Judd 1:20.228 +1.465
13. Volker Weidler Rial-Ford 1:21.055 +2.292

Sophie Fabron wrote:I had not driven on this track before, so for the first few laps I concentrated on learning the track. However, I was helped by Tarquini who had driven here last year with Coloni, and he also gave me good tips for setting up the car. So after a few practice laps I decided to go for a full-on charge, and when I got back to the pits I was impressed to hear that my first fast lap was good enough to advance from prequalifying! The differences between the drivers were so small that had I made a single mistake I would've probably been 5th or even 6th.
Last edited by Nuppiz on 09 Aug 2012, 18:20, edited 1 time in total.
"The Life, it looked very lifeless yet again... in fact Bruno did one, slow lap"
Nuppiz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nuppiz »

Nuppiz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nuppiz »

Results - Qualifying session 1 for the 1989 Mexican Grand Prix

1. Ayrton Senna McLaren-Honda 1:16.997
2. Alain Prost McLaren-Honda 1:17.197 +0.200
3. Nigel Mansell Ferrari 1:17.393 +0.396
4. Gerhard Berger Ferrari 1:17.491 +0.494
5. Riccardo Patrese Williams-Renault 1:18.013 +1.016
6. Alessandro Nannini Benetton-Ford 1:18.497 +1.500
7. Andrea de Cesaris Dallara-Ford 1:18.558 +1.561
8. Sophie Fabron AGS-Ford 1:18.704 +1.707
9. Philippe Alliot Lola-Lamborghini 1:18.724 +1.727
24. Christian Danner Rial-Ford 1:19.669 +2.672
25. Gabriele Tarquini AGS-Ford 1:19.715 +2.718
26. Pierluigi Martini Minardi-Ford 1:19.789 +2.792
27. Jean Alesi Tyrrell-Ford 1:19.923 +2.926
28. Michele Alboreto Lola-Lamborghini 1:21.603 +4.606
29. Satoru Nakajima Lotus-Judd 1:24.358 +7.361
30. Roberto Moreno Coloni-Ford 1:26.400 +9.403

Sophie Fabron wrote:I was able to improve a bit from the prequalifying, but not much as I made a mistake and went a bit wide in the second-to-last corner. However, I was happy to again qualify for the race. Too bad Jean Alesi didn't make it again - it's looking pretty bad for Tyrrell if Palmer doesn't perform miracles in the race. However, the experienced compatriot Alliot did very well - it remains to be seen how he performs tomorrow.
Nuppiz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nuppiz »

Time for more F1 C.R.A.P. as their editor has now returned from the hospital after suffering a heart attack when Ms. Fabron got the pole in Imola.

F1 C.R.A.P. wrote:Comment: kerbs need to be raised

So, Ms. Sophie Fabron won last weekend's Formula One GP at Imola. And also was on pole, scored the fastest lap of the race and led every lap from start to finish. In a car which we deemed to be an utter failure before the season. However her success was down to practically cheating her way through the circuit. We mean, did you just see how wildly she bounced off the kerbs? She was driving the car through the corners in a style which is sure to put you into hospital pretty soon, yet somehow she managed to keep the car on the track. Our firm belief is that the height of the kerbs should be raised so that the drivers wouldn't cut them so heavily, as the current style will only lead to serious accidents sooner or later.

F1 C.R.A.P. wrote:Piercarlo Ghinzani disqualified from the Monaco GP

The stewards of the Monaco GP have rightfully decided to disqualify Osella driver Piercarlo Ghinzani for blocking Alain Prost when he was about to lap him. This allowed Sohpie Fabron, who had demonstrated her lack of skills by spinning off at Nouvelle Chicane, to catch up with the leaders and eventually pass them on her way to a totally undeserved victory. We believe that had this not happened, Fabron would've had a lot tougher time and probably crashed out, as her driving was again quite nervous despite being in a comfortable lead mainly caused by the retirements of her biggest competitors. However, the disqualification has no effect on the final results as Ghinzani retired with brake problems not long after the incident.
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

Nuppiz wrote:...

:shock:

I'm shocked that Martini is only 26th too.
I like the way Snrub thinks!
Nuppiz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nuppiz »

redbulljack14 wrote:
Nuppiz wrote:...

:shock:

I'm shocked that Martini is only 26th too.

Well, he can still (hopefully) improve his position in the second qualifying session. Minardi desperately needs points to escape prequalifying in the second half of the season.

As a matter of fact, here are the current teams who would be in prequalifying for the second half of the season, based on their best results from the 1988 German GP up to this year's Monaco GP.

Minardi (2 cars, 0 points, best result 7th)
Tyrrell (2 cars, 0 points, best result 9th)
EuroBrun (1 car, 0 points, best result 11th)
Osella (2 cars, 0 points, best result 12th)
Zakspeed (2 cars, 0 points, best result 12th)
Brabham (2 cars, 0 points, best result Ret.)
Onyx (2 cars, 0 points, best result Ret.)

On the other hand, Volker Weidler's Rial, Alex Caffi's Dallara, Sophie Fabron's AGS and Pierre-Henri Raphanel's Coloni would proceed directly into main qualifying. In the case of Weidler and Raphanel this is totally unjustified, as both have so far DNPQed at every event of this season.

Currently the last team that would go straight into qualifying is Ligier with three points (one 4th).
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

Nuppiz wrote:As a matter of fact, here are the current teams who would be in prequalifying for the second half of the season, based on their best results from the 1988 German GP up to this year's Monaco GP.

Osella (2 cars, 0 points, best result 12th)
Brabham (2 cars, 0 points, best result Ret.)

On the other hand, Volker Weidler's Rial, Alex Caffi's Dallara, Sophie Fabron's AGS and Pierre-Henri Raphanel's Coloni would proceed directly into main qualifying.

Currently the last team that would go straight into qualifying is Ligier with three points (one 4th).

Pre-qualifying will be great in the second half of the season. Minardi, Tyrrell and Brabham all have good cars, Osella and Onyx can also surprise. They'd feel cheated, especially considering Rial and Coloni won't be in pre-qualifying.
Nuppiz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nuppiz »

redbulljack14 wrote:Pre-qualifying will be great in the second half of the season. Minardi, Tyrrell and Brabham all have good cars, Osella and Onyx can also surprise. They'd feel cheated, especially considering Rial and Coloni won't be in pre-qualifying.

Well, there's still 5 GPs left before the PQ teams are changed, so anything can still happen. If Brundle only manages to keep his car on the track he is likely to score good results which will take Brabham out from the PQ. Jean Alesi has usually been doing well in the races but hasn't finished yet either. And of course Martini can still grab some points for Minardi.

Also forgot that Coloni also has only three points (like Ligier) and likely won't qualify for most of the future races, so they are also in danger of falling into PQ.
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

Nuppiz wrote:
redbulljack14 wrote:Pre-qualifying will be great in the second half of the season. Minardi, Tyrrell and Brabham all have good cars, Osella and Onyx can also surprise. They'd feel cheated, especially considering Rial and Coloni won't be in pre-qualifying.

Well, there's still 5 GPs left before the PQ teams are changed, so anything can still happen. If Brundle only manages to keep his car on the track he is likely to score good results which will take Brabham out from the PQ. Jean Alesi has usually been doing well in the races but hasn't finished yet either. And of course Martini can still grab some points for Minardi.

Also forgot that Coloni also has only three points (like Ligier) and likely won't qualify for most of the future races, so they are also in danger of falling into PQ.

I'm really interested to see what happens now. This is my primary/secondary interest now, other one being the Grand Prix 2 1989 season currently being ran, mostly because i'm involved in that series.
Nuppiz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nuppiz »

Results - Qualifying session 2 for the 1989 Mexican Grand Prix

1. Nigel Mansell Ferrari McLaren-Honda 1:17.312
2. Ayrton Senna McLaren-Honda 1:17.326 +0.014
3. Gerhard Berger Ferrari 1:17.427 +0.115
4. Alain Prost McLaren-Honda 1:17.500 +0.188
5. Riccardo Patrese Williams-Renault 1:18.093 +0.781
6. Sophie Fabron AGS-Ford 1:18.316 +1.005
7. Thierry Boutsen Williams-Renault 1:18.334 +1.022
8. Alessandro Nannini Benetton-Ford 1:18.444 +1.132
9. Alex Caffi Dallara-Ford 1:18.492 +1.18.492 +1.180
10. Pierluigi Martini Minardi-Ford 1:18.662 +1.350
11. Andrea de Cesaris Dallara-Ford 1:18.687 +1.375
12. Philippe Alliot Lola-Lamborghini 1:18.754 +1.442
13. Emanuele Pirro Benetton-Ford 1:18.776 +1.464
14. Mauricio Gugelmin March-Judd 1:18.853 +1.541
15. Nicola Larini Osella-Ford 1:18.854 +1.542 :o
16. Martin Brundle Brabham-Judd 1:18.879 +1.568
17. Nelson Piquet Lotus-Judd 1:18.953 +1.641
18. Ivan Capelli March-Judd 1:19.007 +1.696
19. Luis Perez-Sala Minardi-Ford 1:19.252 +1.940
20. Derek Warwick Arrows-Ford 1:19.271 +1.959
21. Jonathan Palmer Tyrrell-Ford 1:19.271 +1.959 (yep, two drivers with exactly the same time)
22. Rene Arnoux Ligier-Ford 1:19.441 +2.129
23. Gabriele Tarquini AGS-Ford 1:19.621 +2.310
24. Olivier Grouillard Ligier-Ford 1:19.944 +2.632
25. Christian Danner Rial-Ford 1:20.289 +2.977
26. Eddie Cheever Arrows-Ford 1.26.285 +8.973

Sophie Fabron wrote:Once again I managed to improve my time, and my sector bests combined could've been enough for 5th. But 6th is still a great place to start. Too bad Tarquini didn't get his car working similarly, and what on earth was Cheever doing?
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

What exactly was Cheever doing? Did he have mechanical issues?
pasta_maldonado
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by pasta_maldonado »

redbulljack14 wrote:What exactly was Cheever doing?

They'll be asking the same question of a certain Swiss pay-driver in 6 years' time... :lol:
Klon wrote:more liek Nick Ass-idy amirite?
Nuppiz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nuppiz »

redbulljack14 wrote:What exactly was Cheever doing? Did he have mechanical issues?

For some reason he hadn't started a lap when only 5 minutes were left in the session (likely because the game engine doesn't like races with more than 22 cars), so I clicked on "Finish Session" which forces the game to generate at least some result to every driver who already doesn't have one (excluding the player). And it turned out to be shite for him.

FYI the poor qualifying performance by Ferrari at the past few events has also been caused by this - their cars havent' started any laps at all so I've had to let the game generate times for them. This time all cars but Cheever drove a timed lap.
Nuppiz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nuppiz »

Results - 1989 Mexico Grand Prix
Fastest lap: forgot to take notes, but it sure wasn't Fabron.

Sophie Fabron wrote:Wow, I'm amazed how easy it was! I got a great start and I overtook Patrese and Prost on the straight, before outbraking Senna into the first corner. However, he got past me at Peraltada, but I managed to get into his slipstream and got past him again on the main straight. After that I followed the Ferraris, with my gap to them staying roughly the same for about then laps. Then, they caught Rene Arnoux, who had pitted early for a new front wing, he slowed them down in Peraltada so much that I could get into the slipstream of Mansell (who himself had dropped behind Berger because of Arnoux) and then outbrake him into the first corner. After that I chased Berger, who proved to be a tougher nut to crack. But after applying pressure on him for a few laps he finally made a mistake in Ese del Lago, which allowed me to outbrake him into the hairpin that followed. After that it was surprisingly easy to pull a gap to others, probably because the others had started on soft tyres which were not good anymore. Also, the other drivers again lost a lot of time behind lapped drivers while I got past them relatively easily. I could even afford to make a mistake and spin in the first corner on lap 32 without losing too much time. My win was sealed when the top drivers had to pit for a new set of tyres while my hard set again lasted throughout the entire race.

1. Sophie Fabron 31
2. Christian Danner 9
3. Emanuele Pirro 8
4. Ayrton Senna 7
5. Andrea de Cesaris 6
== Philippe Alliot 6
7. Michele Alboreto 4
== Gabriele Tarquini 4
== Gerhard Berger 4
== Nelson Piquet 4
11. Roberto Moreno 3
== Olivier Grouillard 3
== Alain Prost 3
14. Eddie Cheever 2
== Ivan Capelli 2
16. Satoru Nakajima 1

1. AGS-Ford 35
2. Lola-Lamborghini 10
== McLaren-Honda 10
4. Rial-Ford 9
5. Benetton-Ford 8
6. Dallara-Ford 6
7. Lotus-Judd 5
8. Ferrari 4
9. Coloni-Ford 3
== Ligier-Ford 3
11. Arrows-Ford 2
== March-Judd 2

Teams in danger to be in prequalifying in the second half of the season
Osella (2 cars, 0 points, best result 8th)
Brabham (2 cars, 0 points, best result 14th)

Looks like I need to run the next race with 110% difficulty again...
Last edited by Nuppiz on 24 Aug 2012, 07:37, edited 4 times in total.
pasta_maldonado
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by pasta_maldonado »

There's only one thing I can say.... how do you manage to drive so well with a keyboard? [/stunned@howeasyyoumakeitlook]
Klon wrote:more liek Nick Ass-idy amirite?
Nuppiz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nuppiz »

pasta_maldonado wrote:There's only one thing I can say.... how do you manage to drive so well with a keyboard? [/stunned@howeasyyoumakeitlook]

Well, the main reason is admittedly the driving aids. Without them I would be spinning around (like a record baby right right right round... :lol: ), but on the other hand the keyboard doesn't allow for precise steering, throttle or brake control so I have little choice. But not even the best driving aids can keep anyone on the best racing line so I think there's a fair bit of experience from literally weeks of driving on the keyboard (and on the PS2 as well) that also helps me a lot. Combined with my generally aggressive driving style (braking as late as possible always works against the AI) and the fact that the cars in this mod are relatively poorly balanced (most cars are actually quite equal and only separated by their engines) makes it relatively easy to win even in an AGS.

I also learned a new trick to do at the start today. Previously I had been holding the clutch and pressing the throttle simultaneously, then releasing the clutch when the lights came off while still pressing the throttle. However, when I did some start practicing in qualifying I noticed that if I momentarily release the throttle after releasing the clutch, then press on it again, I'll accelerate much faster than with my previous style. That contributed to the good start I had today; my previous good starts have been caused by the AI always being very slow in the first corner, however on the Hermanos Rodriguez track the first corner is far from the start/finish line so this "new" trick worked better.
Nuppiz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nuppiz »

Results - Prequalifying for the 1989 United States Grand Prix

1. Martin Brundle Brabham-Judd 1:35.020
2. Alex Caffi Dallara-Ford 1:35.093 +0.073
3. Stefano Modena Brabham-Judd 1:36.004 +0.984
4. Sophie Fabron AGS-Ford 1:37.929 +2.909
5. Bertrand Gachot Onyx-Ford 1:37.972 +3.052
6. Stefan Johansson Onyx-Ford 1:38.241 +3.221
7. Nicola Larini Osella-Ford 1:38.899 +3.679
8. Bernd Schneider Zakspeed-Yamaha 1:39.233 +4.213
9. Volker Weidler Rial-Ford 1:39.458 +4.438
10. Aguri Suzuki Zakspeed-Yamaha 1:40.160 +5.140
11. Pierre-Henri Raphanel Coloni-Ford 1:40.288 +5.268
12. Piercarlo Ghinzani Osella-Ford 1:40.543 +5.523
13. Gregor Foitek EuroBrun-Judd 1:40.697 +5.577

Sophie Fabron wrote:Everyone was a bit lost on this new track which is little more than an endless sequence of 90-degree turns. I just barely got through, so I'm not hoping much from the main qualifying session. Even qualifying for the race would be a small victory here.
Nuppiz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nuppiz »

Results - Qualifying session 1 for the 1989 United States Grand Prix

1. Alain Prost McLaren-Honda 1:32.795
2. Ayrton Senna McLaren-Honda 1:33.335 +0.560
3. Nigel Mansell Ferrari 1:33.440 +0.645
4. Thierry Boutsen Williams-Renault 1:33.810 +1.015
5. Alessandro Nannini Benetton-Ford 1:33.946 +1.151
14. Pierluigi Martini Minardi-Ford 1:36.239 +3.444
15. Sophie Fabron AGS-Ford 1:36.454 +3.659
16. Derek Warwick Arrows-Ford 1:36.545 +3.750
21. Gabriele Tarquini AGS-Ford 1:37.008 +4.213
27. Satoru Nakajima Lotus-Judd 1:38.295 +5.500
28. Eddie Cheever Arrows-Ford 1:38.381 +5.576
29. Olivier Grouillard Ligier-Ford 1:38.542 +5.748
30. Michele Alboreto Lola-Lamborghini 1:38.828 +6.033

Sophie Fabron wrote:Even though I improved my best time by almost one and a half seconds, the other drivers were ready for the challenge as well. Whatever shyness about the new track which was prevalent in prequalifying was nonexistent here. In the end both me and Tarquini managed to qualify for the race, but I doubt my grid position for the race will be very good.
Nuppiz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nuppiz »

Results - Qualifying session 2 for the 1989 United States Grand Prix

Sophie Fabron wrote:I managed to push further in the second session, as I finally learned the tricks of this track. 7th is a good position to start from, as it gives me a good opportunity to gain places in the race itself.

Results - 1989 United States Grand Prix
Fastest lap: Sophie Fabron, 1:34.415 on lap 58

Sophie Fabron wrote:Well, that didn't go the way I planned. I did have a good start which promoted me to 2nd, and a series of aggressive maneuvres eventually promoted me to 1st by the end of lap 2. However after a few laps the McLaren's had heated up their softer tyres and I had no chance of holding them back, so I dropped down to 3rd. They went into the distance and within 15 laps they had over 10 seconds of a gap to me. Then, the gap suddenly started to reduce, and I began pushing harder to catch up with them. By lap 30 I was only a couple of seconds behind Prost, and a few laps later I got past him and started to chase Senna. However, it backfired as I made a huge mistake, lost my front wing and dropped down to 4th, behind Prost and also Nannini who had made his way through the pack. At first it looked like I would have no chance at a podium now with about 20 seconds of a gap to 3rd, but then Nannini's times slowed down and I had the time of my life chasing him. I consistently set laptimes in the 1:36.6 bracket when his times were above 1:38, and by lap 48 there was only 4 seconds between us. It was to no avail as yet another mistake cost me 10 seconds, and it was becoming clear that my hopes for a podium would require major problems for the leading pack.The leading pack pitted on laps 50 and 51, and for a while I was back in 3rd. But my hard tyres were past their prime as well, and I pitted on lap 55 hoping for a slight tyre advantage later in the race. My gap to Nannini was again around 15 seconds. With fresh soft tyres, for a few laps I was able to extract 120% out from the car, as evidenced by my fastest lap of the race. However, after reducing the gap to 10 seconds I made my third big mistake of the day, lost the front wing again and soon found myself battling for 4th with Gugelmin. I guess I lost a bit of my concentration after that, as a series of smaller mistakes made me drop down to 6th, then 7th and finally 9th. By this time I had lost all of my motivation and eventually even Mansell, who like his team mate Berger had had his fair share of problems early on, got past me. Senna lapped me at the same moment, and for the last couple of laps I drove slowly, thinking to myself what could've been had I not made such a ginormous amount of mistakes.

1. Sophie Fabron 31
2. Ayrton Senna 16
3. Christian Danner 9
== Alain Prost 9
5. Emanuele Pirro 8
6. Andrea de Cesaris 6
== Philippe Alliot 6
8. Nelson Piquet 5
9. Michele Alboreto 4
== Gabriele Tarquini 4
== Gerhard Berger 4
== Alessandro Nannini 4
13. Roberto Moreno 3
== Olivier Grouillard 3
== Rene Arnoux 3
16. Eddie Cheever 2
== Ivan Capelli 2
== Martin Brundle 2
19. Satoru Nakajima 1

1. AGS-Ford 35
2. McLaren-Honda 25
3. Benetton-Ford 12
4. Lola-Lamborghini 10
5. Rial-Ford 9
6. Dallara-Ford 6
7. Ligier-Ford 6
== Lotus-Judd 6
9. Ferrari 4
10. Coloni-Ford 3
11. Arrows-Ford 2
== March-Judd 2
== Brabham-Judd 2

Brabham (2 cars, 2 points, best result 5th)

Brabham needs at least another 5th or two 6ths to drop Coloni into prequalifying.
Nuppiz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nuppiz »

Results - Prequalifying for the 1989 Canadian GP

1. Martin Brundle Brabham-Judd 1:23.460
2. Sophie Fabron AGS-Ford 1:23.616 +0.156
3. Stefano Modena Brabham-Judd 1:23.635 +0.175
4. Gregor Foitek EuroBrun-Judd 1:23.961 +0.501
5. Piercarlo Ghinzani Osella-Ford 1:24.060 +0.600
6. Bernd Schneider Zakspeed-Yamaha 1:24.074 +0.614
7. Stefan Johansson Onyx-Ford 1:24.224 +0.763
8. Pierre-Henri Raphanel Coloni-Ford 1:24.309 +0.849
9. Alex Caffi Dallara-Ford 1:25.585 +2.125
10. Bertrand Gachot Onyx-Ford 1:29.218 +5.757
11. Nicola Larini Osella-Ford 1:29.298 +5.837
12. Volker Weidler Rial-Ford 1:33.606 +10.146
13. Aguri Suzuki Zakspeed-Yamaha 1:36.098 +12.638

Sophie Fabron wrote:After a few practice laps, I immediately found a good balance to the car and set a very good time, which was eventually enough for getting through to the main qualifying session. The weather was cloudy at first, before around halfway through the session a slight drizzle started, which soon worsened into heavy rain. That explains how Caffi, who has usually prequalified his car this season, was left so far behind. However, I'm more amazed to notice that somehow Foitek dragged his EuroBrun into 4th!
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

Just realised Williams still don't have any points.
Last edited by FullMetalJack on 28 Aug 2012, 18:20, edited 2 times in total.
Nuppiz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nuppiz »

redbulljack14 wrote:Just realised Williams still don't have any points.

Yep, they are fast but very unreliable, although most of the retirements have been caused by the drivers themselves.
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

Nuppiz wrote:

Yep, they are fast but very unreliable, although most of the retirements have been caused by the drivers themselves.

Yeah, tell me about it...
Sebastian Vettel wrote:If I was good at losing I wouldn't be in Formula 1.
Everything's great.
I'm not surprised about anything.
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

BlindCaveSalamander wrote:
Nuppiz wrote:

Yeah, tell me about it...

Douglas Mann found that offensive...
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

dr-baker wrote:
BlindCaveSalamander wrote:Yeah, tell me about it...

Browse the F1 1989 thread, then you'll get the joke.
Sebastian Vettel wrote:If I was good at losing I wouldn't be in Formula 1.
Everything's great.
I'm not surprised about anything.
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

dr-baker wrote:
BlindCaveSalamander wrote:Yeah, tell me about it...

Douglas Mann was often blamed for Williams's mechanical failures in the "Grand Prix 2" Championship thread in their 1995 season...
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
RonDenisDeletraz

Post by RonDenisDeletraz »

dr-baker wrote:
dr-baker wrote:Douglas Mann found that offensive...

Douglas Mann was often blamed for Williams's mechanical failures in the "Grand Prix 2" Championship thread in their 1995 season...

And then proceded to throw a tantrum about it.
aerond wrote:Yes RDD, but we always knew you never had any sort of taste either :P

tommykl wrote:I have a shite car and meme sponsors, but Corrado Fabi will carry me to the promised land with the power of Lionel Richie.
Nuppiz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nuppiz »

Results - Qualifying session 1 for the 1989 Canadian Grand Prix

1. Alain Prost McLaren-Honda 1:21.772
2. Ayrton Senna McLaren-Honda 1:21.844 +0.072
3. Riccardo Patrese Williams-Renault 1:22.112 +0.340
4. Thierry Boutsen Williams-Renault 1:22.253 +0.481
5. Alessandro Nannini Benetton-Ford 1:22.530 +0.757
15. Jean Alesi Tyrrell-Ford 1:23.348 +1.576
16. Sophie Fabron AGS-Ford 1:23.366 +1.594
17. Michele Alboreto Lola-Lamborghini 1:23.429 +1.657
26. Roberto Moreno Coloni-Ford 1:23.675 +1.902
27. Philippe Alliot Lola-Lamborghini 1:23.679 +1.907
28. Gabriele Tarquini AGS-Ford 1:23.837 +2.065 :(
29. Christian Danner Rial-Ford 1:23.846 +2.074
30. Nigel Mansell Ferrari 1:24.546 +2.774 :shock:

Sophie Fabron wrote:Well, in the main qualifying everyone was much faster, but I still managed to improve my time and ensure that I'll start the race. Too bad that Tarquini didn't make it, the margins were so small that a single mistake cost very much here. I don't know if Mansell had a problem or soemthing, but his DNQ will surely raise some eyebrows, as does the fact that bot Moreno and Foitek qualified for the race.
Nuppiz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nuppiz »

Results - Qualifying session 2 for the 1989 Canadian Grand Prix

Sophie Fabron wrote:I was pleased to see that I further improved my driving for this session, and I'm probably very near the limits of what this car can handle. Ferrari's horror continues; that must be among their worst starting positions ever.
Nuppiz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nuppiz »

Results - 1989 Canadian Grand Prix
Fastest lap: Nelson Piquet, 1:23.628

Sophie Fabron wrote:Well, this race was a bit mad again. The track was wet at the start, so everyone else but me started on intermediate tyres. I gambled on the slicks, and while I was unable to gain any positions in the start, the track started to dry soon and most cars pitted at around lap 10 so I gained a lot of positions. I was 3rd by the time my Ford engine decided to explode, being my first retirement this season. However, congratulations to Minardi for getting such a brilliant podium.

1. Sophie Fabron 31
2. Ayrton Senna 16
3. Nelson Piquet 11
4. Christian Danner 9 (second-best result: 12th)
5. Riccardo Patrese 9 (second-best result: Ret.)
6. Alain Prost 9 (best result: 2nd)
7. Emanuele Pirro 8
8. Philippe Alliot 6 (second-best result: 7th)
9. Andrea de Cesaris 6 (second-best result: 10th)
10. Alessandro Nannini 4 (second-best result: 7th)
11. Gerhard Berger 4 (second-best result: 10th)
12. Gabriele Tarquini 4 (second-best result: 12th)
13. Michele Alboreto 4 (second-best result: Ret.)
== Pierluigi Martini 4 (second-best result: Ret.)
15. Roberto Moreno 3 (second-best result: 14th)
16. Olivier Grouillard 3 (second-best result: 9th)
17. Rene Arnoux 3 (second-best result: Ret.)
== Stefano Modena 3 (second-best result: Ret.)
19. Satoru Nakajima 3 (best result: 5th)
20. Ivan Capelli 2 (second-best result: 7th)
21. Martin Brundle 2 (second-best result: 8th)
22. Eddie Cheever 2 (second-best result: 12th)
23. Luis Perez-Sala 1

1. AGS-Ford 35
2. McLaren-Honda 25
3. Lotus-Judd 14
4. Benetton-Ford 12
5. Lola-Lamborghini 10
6. Rial-Ford 9 (second-best result: 12th)
7. Williams-Renault 9 (second-best result: Ret.)
8. Dallara-Ford 6 (best result: 2nd)
9. Ligier-Ford 6 (best result: two 4ths)
10. Minardi 5 (best result: 3rd)
11. Brabham-Judd 5 (best result: 4th)
12. Ferrari 4
13. Coloni-Ford 3
14. March-Judd 2 (third-best result: 8th)
15. Arrows-Ford 2 (third-best result: 9th)

Brabham (2 cars, 5 points, best result 4th)
Coloni (2 cars, 3 points, best result 4th)
Tyrrell (2 cars, 0 points, best result 7th)

Minardi gets past Coloni as the last team that would skip pre-qualifying, while Brabham is currently the first team that has to do so based on countback. Dallara, Ligier and Minardi are all in the danger zone with no points scored in the second half of the 1988 season.
Nuppiz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Sophie Fabron's F1 career 1989-2005?

Post by Nuppiz »

Results - Prequalifying for the 1989 French Grand Prix

1. Sophie Fabron AGS-Ford 1:08.739
2. Martin Brundle Brabham-Judd 1:09.182 +0.444
3. Stefano Modena Brabham-Judd 1:09.301 +0.563
4. Nicola Larini Osella-Ford 1:09.516 +0.778
5. Gregor Foitek EuroBrun-Judd 1:09.708 +0.969
6. Bernd Schneider Zakspeed-Yamaha 1:09.744 +1.005
7. Pierre-Henri Raphanel Coloni-Ford 1:09.819 +1.081
8. Aguri Suzuki Zakspeed-Yamaha 1:09.922 +1.183
9. Piercarlo Ghinzani Osella-Ford 1:09.971 +1.232
10. Stefan Johansson Onyx-Ford 1:10.025 +1.286
11. Bertrand Gachot Onyx-Ford 1:10.199 +1.460
12. Volker Weidler Rial-Ford 1:10.563 +1.825
13. Alex Caffi Dallara-Ford 1:11.845 +3.107

Sophie Fabron wrote:I was really pumped up for my home race, and it didn't take long for me to get a good setup in the car and easily get through to the main qualifying session. Not much of surprises apart from Alex Caffi continuing his poor form in PQ.
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

And what is Caffi doing?
Nuppiz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nuppiz »

redbulljack14 wrote:And what is Caffi doing?

Sitting in the garage until it is too late to put up a good lap. I honestly don't know what could be the issue there, it shouldn't be much of a problem for the game to run only 12 AI cars.
Nuppiz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nuppiz »

Results - Qualifying session 1 for the 1989 French Grand Prix

1. Alain Prost McLaren-Honda 1:06.993
2. Gerhard Berger Ferrari 1:07.787 +0.794
3. Ayrton Senna McLaren-Honda 1:07.793 +0.801
4. Nigel Mansell Ferrari 1:07.938 +0.945
5. Alessandro Nannini Benetton-Ford 1:08.001 +1.008
6. Sophie Fabron AGS-Ford 1:08.123 +1.130
7. Riccardo Patrese Williams-Renault 1:08.295 +1.303
18. Roberto Moreno Coloni-Ford 1:08.684 +1.691 :shock:
26. Jean Alesi Tyrrell-Ford 1:09.036 +2.043
27. Michele Alboreto Lola-Lamborghini 1:09.075 +2.082
28. Christian Danner Rial-Ford 1:09.169 +2.177
29. Jonathan Palmer Tyrrell-Ford 1:09.206 +2.213
30. Gabriele Tarquini AGS-Ford 1:09.615 +2.622 :(

Sophie Fabron wrote:I improved a lot for the first main qualifying session, which was needed considering that my prequalifying time would've only been good for the lower midfield. The short course makes for small time differences so every thousandth of a second counts. Prost looks to be on fire in his home GP, while it's sad to see my team mate out of the race for the second time in the row.
Nuppiz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nuppiz »

Results - Qualifying session 2 for the 1989 French Grand Prix

Sophie Fabron wrote:I was delighted to see that the lead drivers were unable to improve their times, so I managed to get to 5th on the grid with a very similar lap as in the first qualifying session. Of note should be Berger's pole, as Prost failed was much slower this time.

Results - 1989 French Grand Prix

Fastest lap: Sophie Fabron, 1:08.289 on lap 60

Sophie Fabron wrote:Well, this race was both good and bad for me. I had a very good start and managed to take the lead in the second corner. It was surprisingly easy to hold the other cars behind, and after about 15 laps the hard tyres started to work so well that I was able to generate a gap between me and Senna. On lap 31 Mansell's brakes failed and he was out, meaning that only thee cars - both McLarens and Berger - could threaten my win. By lap 51 my gap to Senna was already 20 seconds when disaster struck. I was lapping Modena, who ran wide at La Tour, when he suddenly dived into Le Pont and slightly nudged my right front wheel. This forced me to run wide and I crashed into the barriers. Both of my wings got broken off, and my suspension was also damaged as the car started to slightly veer to the right. Luckily enough the pit entrance was nearby and I could immediately get my car repaired, but it took so long that I rejoined the track in 9th, ironically right behind Modena who crashed out on his own accord moments later. However, despite the buckled suspension my pace on the new soft tyres was so good that I eventually set the fastest lap of the race. This combined with both Piquet and Alesi crashing out in front of me meant that I was soon in 6th, back on points. My gap to the front was too long to catch with even the best driving possible, but then Pirro crashed with Moreno who was already two laps behind. Pirro had to pit for a new front wing, and I got promoted to 5th. Finally, Berger ran out of fuel just a lap before the finish, and despite all of my troubles I finally finished 4th.

Highlights video here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C4xv1N-NVyg

Drivers' championship standings
1. Sophie Fabron 34
2. Ayrton Senna 25
3. Alain Prost 15
4. Riccardo Patrese 11 (best result: 1st)
5. Nelson Piquet 11
6. Christian Danner 9
7. Emanuele Pirro 8
8. Philippe Alliot 6 (second-best result: 7th)
9. Andrea de Cesaris 6 (second-best result: 8th)
10. Alessandro Nannini 4 (second-best result: 7th)
11. Gerhard Berger 4 (second-best result: 10th)
12. Gabriele Tarquini 4 (second-best result: 12th)
13. Michele Alboreto 4 (second-best result: Ret.)
== Pierluigi Martini 4 (second-best result: Ret.)
== Thierry Boutsen 4 (second-best result: Ret.)
15. Olivier Grouillard 3 (second-best result: 9th)
16. Roberto Moreno 3 (second-best result: 14th)
17. Rene Arnoux 3 (second-best result: Ret.)
== Stefano Modena 3 (second-best result: Ret.)
19. Satoru Nakajima 3 (best result: 5th)
20. Ivan Capelli 2 (second-best result: 7th)
21. Martin Brundle 2 (second-best result: 8th)
22. Eddie Cheever 2 (second-best result: 12th)
23. Luis Perez-Sala 2 (best result: two 6ths)

Constructors' championship standings
1. McLaren-Honda 41
2. AGS-Ford 38
3. Williams-Renault 15
4. Lotus-Judd 14
5. Benetton-Ford 12
6. Lola-Lamborghini 10
7. Rial-Ford 9
8. Dallara-Ford 6 (best result: 2nd)
9. Minardi 6 (best result: 3rd)
10. Ligier-Ford 6 (best result: two 4ths)
11. Brabham-Judd 5
12. Ferrari 4
13. Coloni-Ford 3
14. March-Judd 2 (third-best result: 8th)
15. Arrows-Ford 2 (third-best result: 9th)

Brabham (2 cars, 5 points, best result 4th)
Coloni (2 cars, 3 points, best result 4th)
Tyrrell (2 cars, 0 points, best result 7th)
Last edited by Nuppiz on 11 Sep 2012, 18:52, edited 1 time in total.
Nuppiz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nuppiz »

I found a way to replace drivers, so:
F1 C.R.A.P. wrote:Moreno injured, Pirro banned

Following his huge crash with Emanuele Pirro at the French GP, Coloni driver Roberto Moreno is forced to miss at least the next GP at Silverstone due to a concussion and injured wrist. A press statement released by the Coloni team confirmed German F3 champion Joachim Winkelhock, who was earlier rumoured to take the second AGS seat before Sophie Fabron interfered with her charms, as Moreno's replacement for the time being.

Benetton driver Emanuele Pirro was found quilty of failing to exercise reasonable caution while lapping a slower car (Moreno), resulting in a heavy collision between the two. Due to the severity of the incident, FISA has decided to give Pirro a three-race ban effective immediately. Benetton has confirmed Englishman Johnny Herbert, himself a victim of a serious accident last year, to be Pirro's replacement.

Results - Prequalifying for the 1989 British Grand Prix

1. Sophie Fabron AGS-Ford 1:09.067
2. Alex Caffi Dallara-Ford 1:09.253 +0.144
3. Martin Brundle Brabham-Judd 1:09.351 +0.284
4. Stefano Modena Brabham-Judd 1:09.368 +0.301
5. Nicola Larini Osella-Ford 1:09.676 +0.609
6. Bernd Schneider Zakspeed-Yamaha 1:09.950 +0.883
7. Gregor Foitek EuroBrun-Judd 1:10.137 +1.070
8. Aguri Suzuki Zakspeed-Yamaha 1:10.144 +1.077
9. Stefan Johansson Onyx-Ford 1:10.157 +1.090
10. Pierre-Henri Raphanel Coloni-Ford 1:10.166 +1.099
11. Bertrand Gachot Onyx-Ford 1:10.196 +1.129
12. Piercarlo Ghinzani Osella-Ford 1:10.239 +1.171
13. Volker Weidler Rial-Ford 1:10.540 +1.472

Sophie Fabron wrote:What looks to be my last prequalifying session in a long while went perfectly for me, as I only needed a couple of laps again to get a good time on this extremely fast circuit - there's only two corners where I have to shift down to 2nd gear. No surprises among the rest of the prequalifiers either, as it looks like that Caffi has fixed whatever was wrong with him in the previous couple of races.
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

Nuppiz wrote:To get these working properly, I've made two "new" 1989 seasons: one for pre-qualifying and one for the 30-car qualifying. The first one has the 13 cars which had to prequalify in the first half of the season, while the other one has the 26 cars which didn't need to PQ + the four (five in the Brazilian GP due to Streiff's accident) fastest cars of PQ. By editing the "filters" of the cars I can control which cars appear in which sessions, and also which cars need to PQ after each half-season. And before you say that I copied this straight form the RaceSimulations forums, I quarantee that I figured it out entirely by myself before I read about it there! :)

How exactly do you go from 30 to 26 drivers in qualifying? What will I have to edit on the PLR file?
Nuppiz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nuppiz »

redbulljack14 wrote:How exactly do you go from 30 to 26 drivers in qualifying? What will I have to edit on the PLR file?

There's a few lines in the PLR file which read "Opponents", which is the amount of AI cars competing with you. From the in-game settings you can't increase that beyond 21 (as the 1999-2002 seasons had 22 cars and you're always taking one of them), but if you edit it in the PLR file there's no limit at all. So when I need to run a 30-car qualifying, I go to my PLR file and edit the value to be 29. Once I've ran the first qualifying session I drop it down to 25 (this can be done both in-game and from the PLR file), exit the game, deactivate the four cars which DNQed (usually by renaming the files so that the game won't load them), start the game again and run the second qualifying session and the race itself back-to-back with 26 cars.

Notice that I no longer have three different "seasons" (one for PQ, one for 30-car quali and one for 26 cars), as it was too much of a hassle. Instead, I first run PQ with a profile set for 12 opponents (13 from the next GP on, as I won't be taking part myself anymore). For this purpose I've created a "new" 1989 season strictly for PQ, and by default all of the cars that need to take part in PQ have been removed from the main season (by editing the vehicle filters), and set to take part here instead. Once the prequalifying has run its course, I include the four fastest cars in the main season and then do the above 30/26 car qualifyings and finally the GP. Then I'll just repeat the process, and each half-season I update the PQ teams (just like in real life).

It gets a lot simpler after the 1992 Hungarian GP when I no longer have to run PQ at all.
Nuppiz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nuppiz »

On with the show:
Results - Qualifying session 1 for the 1989 British Grand Prix

1. Ayrton Senna McLaren-Honda 1:07.088
2. Alain Prost McLaren-Honda 1:07.127
3. Riccardo Patrese Williams-Renault 1:07.677 +0.590
4. Nigel Mansell Ferrari 1:07.704 +0.616
5. Gerhard Berger Ferrari 1:07.792 +0.704
18. Satoru Nakajima Lotus-Judd 1:08.794 +1.706
19. Sophie Fabron AGS-Ford 1:08.795 +1.707
20. Michele Alboreto Lola-Lamborghini 1:08.855 +1.767
26. Jean Alesi Tyrrell-Ford 1:09.169 +2.081
27. Jonathan Palmer Tyrrell-Ford 1:09.205 +2.117
28. Gabriele Tarquini AGS-Ford 1:09.220 +2.132
29. Christian Danner Rial-Ford 1:09.295 +2.208
30. Joachim Winkelhock Coloni-Ford 1:09.752 +2.664

Sophie Fabron wrote:I think that I can get a lot faster time if I try harder in Q2. Now I just concentrated on getting a good enough time to avoid dropping out from the race, and I only drove one flying lap. The McLarens are again very strong, and whatever bugged Ferrari early on in the season is gone. Shame that Tarquini once again misses the grid with such a small margin, and with results like these it is all but confirmed that my compatriot Alesi has to endure prequalifying in the second half of the season.