Your Reject of the Race - Belgium!

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
TomWazzleshaw

Re: Your Reject of the Race - Belgium!

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

This is probably the hardest race yet to pick ROTR because most people during the weekend did something reject worthy. The 2 candidates that stand out the most though are Renault and Totoya. Both teams threw away big results in the first lap (That was why Alonso's stop didn't go to plan because he had run into the back of somebody damaging the rubbish bin lid) and never really recovered
Biscione wrote:"Some Turkemenistani gulag repurposed for residential use" is the best way yet I've heard to describe North / East Glasgow.
Ferrim

Post by Ferrim »

Ben Gilbert wrote:Kimi Raikkonen

A controversial one I know, but hear me out. Yes he won the race, but to my mind he shouldn't have. Notice that on the first lap, he ran straight off onto the run-of areas, kept his foot hard downand leapt into second, thus alowing him to overtake Fisi at the restart via KERS. Since when was it legal to go off track and gain an advantage? He should have been penalised for that at the very least. Then, still on the opening lap, he runs off at Les Combes, and re-joins slamming into a BMW, and causing the chain-reaction that took off Button, Alguersuari, Hamilton and Grosjean, and doesn't get damaged.

Watch the race again. He didn't cause it, he was way ahead of them. It was Grosjean who started it.

Captain Hammer wrote:Actually, I'm changing my mind again. My Reject of the Race for Belgium is The Championship Quartet. Pretty much all four of them have blown it at some point or another, be it Button's poor qualifying, Barrichello stalling at the start again, Webber's unsafe release and drive-through or Vettel's nothin race.

This is probably my ROTR, too. More exactly, my ROTR are Barrichello and the Red Bull drivers, for repeatedly missing to take points out of Jenson.

For God's sake, since when the championship leader only scores 11 out of 50 points, yet his lead only decreases from 26 to 16 points?
Go home, Bernie Ecclestone!

"There will be no other victory this year, I can tell you, more welcomed than this one" Bob Varsha, 1995 Canadian GP

F1 Rejects Forums – going off-topic since 2009!
Nuppiz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nuppiz »

Ferrim wrote:For God's sake, since when the championship leader only scores 11 out of 50 points, yet his lead only decreases from 26 to 16 points?

If they aren't careful enough, Räikkönen will soon challenge the three runner-ups... :lol:
Eurosport broadcast for the 1990 Mexican GP prequalifying:
"The Life, it looked very lifeless yet again... in fact Bruno did one, slow lap"
rffp

Post by rffp »

It might be too early to say, but a Reject candidate would be BMW fatcats. The team showed clear signs of recovery, but unfortunately the company pulled the plug.
A fan of Roberto Pupo Moreno, the one and only, the legend!
Ben Gilbert

Post by Ben Gilbert »

Ferrim wrote:
Ben Gilbert wrote:Kimi Raikkonen

A controversial one I know, but hear me out. Yes he won the race, but to my mind he shouldn't have. Notice that on the first lap, he ran straight off onto the run-of areas, kept his foot hard downand leapt into second, thus alowing him to overtake Fisi at the restart via KERS. Since when was it legal to go off track and gain an advantage? He should have been penalised for that at the very least. Then, still on the opening lap, he runs off at Les Combes, and re-joins slamming into a BMW, and causing the chain-reaction that took off Button, Alguersuari, Hamilton and Grosjean, and doesn't get damaged.

Watch the race again. He didn't cause it, he was way ahead of them. It was Grosjean who started it.

It is debatable that part. In my view, his late rejoining of the track started the concertina reaction over everyone behind, which as going to lead to an inevitable collision. But you're quite right, he was too far ahead for a judgement to be made as to whether the collision was as a result of him.

However, what isn't debatable is that he rejoined the track dangerously, and apparently without looking*, which should warrant a penalty.

*Had he looked, he would have seen the BMW-Sauber he was about to hit, as it was in the area around his rear wheels.
Cynon wrote:Look further down the field, enjoy the view of the little guys and/or crap drivers in cars too good for them giving their all for a meager result.

Because that's what I thought this forum celebrates the most.
tastyhouse

Post by tastyhouse »

Grosjean gets my vote for taking out Button and subsequently Hamilton and Jaime....then saying that it was Button that took him out. :lol:
noisebox

Post by noisebox »

My nomination is for... Kimi Raikonnen. This was a Force India win for the taking, but Fisi knowing Raikonnen's previous form with Force India took th wise decision to let him through early in the race so as to avoid the inevitable rear end shunt which other wise would have followed.
"will you stop him playing tennis then?", referring to Montoya's famous shoulder injury, to which Whitmarsh replied "well, it's very difficult to play tennis on a motorbike"
Waris

Post by Waris »

noisebox wrote:My nomination is for... Kimi Raikonnen. This was a Force India win for the taking, but Fisi knowing Raikonnen's previous form with Force India took th wise decision to let him through early in the race so as to avoid the inevitable rear end shunt which other wise would have followed.

Nominating the winner for RotR is childish, IMO. I think Räikkönen deserved that victory, even if you could argue Fisico deserved it more.
MOTOR RACING IS DANGEROUS
kowalski

Post by kowalski »

Ferrim wrote:This is probably my ROTR, too. More exactly, my ROTR are Barrichello and the Red Bull drivers, for repeatedly missing to take points out of Jenson.

For God's sake, since when the championship leader only scores 11 out of 50 points, yet his lead only decreases from 26 to 16 points?

- Yup, ROTR MUST be the "Championship Contenders". Does nobody want to win this thing? (I would include Jenson in that too though)
Sakon Yamamoto - Not bad for a third driver
noisebox

Post by noisebox »

Waris wrote:
noisebox wrote:My nomination is for... Kimi Raikonnen. This was a Force India win for the taking, but Fisi knowing Raikonnen's previous form with Force India took th wise decision to let him through early in the race so as to avoid the inevitable rear end shunt which other wise would have followed.

Nominating the winner for RotR is childish, IMO. I think Räikkönen deserved that victory, even if you could argue Fisico deserved it more.

Did it not cross your mind that my post was not 100% serious? :roll:
"will you stop him playing tennis then?", referring to Montoya's famous shoulder injury, to which Whitmarsh replied "well, it's very difficult to play tennis on a motorbike"
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

kowalski wrote:
Ferrim wrote:This is probably my ROTR, too. More exactly, my ROTR are Barrichello and the Red Bull drivers, for repeatedly missing to take points out of Jenson.

- Yup, ROTR MUST be the "Championship Contenders". Does nobody want to win this thing? (I would include Jenson in that too though)

It's 1982 all over again. We just need a race like the Monaco GP from then and we're all set.
Sebastian Vettel wrote:If I was good at losing I wouldn't be in Formula 1.
Everything's great.
I'm not surprised about anything.
dresda

Post by dresda »

Those stupid wheel fairing/spinner thingys for costing Alonso a decent finish! ARRRGGGHHHHH!
'08 BMW F650GS (Jutta), '01 Suzuku DR650, '03 VW Golf TDI (Teddy)
lostpin

Post by lostpin »

ROTR for the championship contenders. They're simply lousy. :lol:
An animator that happens to love racing... :)
http://lostpin.net
Bort

Post by Bort »

All three men on the podium are rejects, purely for the reason that not a single one of them gave us an awesome photo like this.

Jack O Malley

Post by Jack O Malley »

nice picture :lol:

I'll nominate MW. His championship chances are now very very thin. :(
Sorry guys, I had a little outing.
Cynon

Post by Cynon »

KERS -- For basically allowing Kimi Raikkonen to drive wide and swerve all over the place, on and off the road to gain spots, all the while stacking up the field in the back once he merged onto the road and causing the first turn crash.
Check out the TM Master Cup Series on Youtube...
...or check out my random retro IndyCar clips.

Dr. Helmut Marko wrote: Finally we have an Australian in the team who can start a race well and challenge Vettel.
razta

Post by razta »

lostpin wrote:ROTR for the championship contenders. They're simply lousy. :lol:

ditto - all of them didn't capitalise on quite literally an open goal
CarlosFerreira

Post by CarlosFerreira »

Bort wrote:All three men on the podium are rejects, purely for the reason that not a single one of them gave us an awesome photo like this.

This casts my bet on Mark Webber's for WDC in a totally different light.
Stay home, Colin Kolles!
lostpin

Post by lostpin »

This picture is a "Caption this!" worthy. :mrgreen: Here goes my line:

Another proof that Webber suffered more than an injured leg at his pre-season biking non-sense..
AllAmericanReject

Post by AllAmericanReject »

It has to be Badoer. Crashing in qualifying, starting last, and finishing last in a race that was won by his teammate is reject-worthy, no matter how old he is or how long it's been since he last raced. Ferrari would have been better off putting Mika Salo in the car.
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

AllAmericanReject wrote:Ferrari would have been better off putting Mika Salo in the car.

As left of the field as that sounds, I agree. At least he has won something in his entire career! + he would be a GP winner by now if it weren't for team orders...
Novitopoli wrote:Everytime someone orders at Pizza Hut, an Italian dies.
Novitopoli wrote:Juve's Triplete: Calciopoli, doping & Mafia connections.

Image Image
Valrys

Post by Valrys »

kostas22 wrote:
AllAmericanReject wrote:Ferrari would have been better off putting Mika Salo in the car.

At least he has won something in his entire career!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1992_International_Formula_3000_season#Driver
FW08

Post by FW08 »

Cynon wrote:KERS -- For basically allowing Kimi Raikkonen to drive wide and swerve all over the place, on and off the road to gain spots, all the while stacking up the field in the back once he merged onto the road and causing the first turn crash.

First of all, this wasn't even close to being the first time when a driver has to run wide in the first corner on the first lap at Spa in order to avoid a crash. He did not gain any places for it, and as DC said, he gathered enough dirt on his tires to still go a bit wide on the breaking at Les Combes. I challenge anyone to explain how he could've possibly avoided Kubica as he returned on the track?

Give the man the credit he is due. He drove a great race, the most impressive we've seen in years. (I mean when was the last time somebody with the clearly slower car won over a faster car without any tactical advantage?)
CarlosFerreira

Post by CarlosFerreira »

Cynon wrote:KERS -- For basically allowing Kimi Raikkonen to drive wide and swerve all over the place, on and off the road to gain spots, all the while stacking up the field in the back once he merged onto the road and causing the first turn crash.

To quote someone in Top Gear, what KERS has shown is the power... of power.
Stay home, Colin Kolles!
eytl
F1 Rejects Founder

Post by eytl »

Wow - having looked at this thread for the first time now ... has anyone NOT been nominated?

Agreed, this is yet another very very tough ROTR decision.
Ferrim

Post by Ferrim »

eytl wrote:Wow - having looked at this thread for the first time now ... has anyone NOT been nominated?

By the way, Jamie and you are my ROTR for Valencia - for having yet to upload the European GP review! :lol:

"There will be no other victory this year, I can tell you, more welcomed than this one" Bob Varsha, 1995 Canadian GP

CarlosFerreira

Post by CarlosFerreira »

Ferrim wrote:
eytl wrote:Wow - having looked at this thread for the first time now ... has anyone NOT been nominated?

By the way, Jamie and you are my ROTR for Valencia - for having yet to upload the European GP review! :lol:

I nominate you, for failing to read the reasons why the European GP Review is still not online, on another thread.

I think that's everyone nominated now! :D
Stay home, Colin Kolles!
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

Valrys wrote:
kostas22 wrote:

At least he has won something in his entire career!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1992_International_Formula_3000_season#Driver

Eh? Surprised at the drivers he beat...Rubens Barrichello, David Coulthard, Olivier Panis, Allan McNish, Laurent Aïello...must have been some strange forces at work there...Andrea Montermini 2nd?
F3000 was just plain weird sometimes. For example:
1. Vincenzo Sospiri
2. Ricardo Rosset
5. Tarso Marques
1. Sébastien Bourdais
2. Giorgio Pantano
3. Tomáš Enge

Thats a big dollop of rejectfullness from supposedly the Formula inferior only to F1. I think not.
See what I mean? Never trust F3000 titles...:D
Novitopoli wrote:Everytime someone orders at Pizza Hut, an Italian dies.
Novitopoli wrote:Juve's Triplete: Calciopoli, doping & Mafia connections.

Image Image
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

kostas22 wrote:Eh? Surprised at the drivers he beat...Rubens Barrichello, David Coulthard, Olivier Panis, Allan McNish, Laurent Aïello...must have been some strange forces at work there...Andrea Montermini 2nd?
F3000 was just plain weird sometimes. For example:
1. Vincenzo Sospiri
2. Ricardo Rosset
5. Tarso Marques
1. Sébastien Bourdais
2. Giorgio Pantano
3. Tomáš Enge

Thats a big dollop of rejectfullness from supposedly the Formula inferior only to F1. I think not.
See what I mean? Never trust F3000 titles...:D

To be fair, Sospiri, Marques, and Badoer were never given a real chance, and didn't exactly show that they shouldn't be in F1.
Sebastian Vettel wrote:If I was good at losing I wouldn't be in Formula 1.
Everything's great.
I'm not surprised about anything.
Ferrim

Post by Ferrim »

CarlosFerreira wrote:
Ferrim wrote:

I nominate you, for failing to read the reasons why the European GP Review is still not online, on another thread.

I nominate you for not giving me a link to that thread I failed to read! :mrgreen:

DonTirri
Location: Herttoniemi, Helsinki, Finland, Europe, Earth, Sol System, Milky Way.

Post by DonTirri »

BlindCaveSalamander wrote:To be fair, Sospiri, Marques, and Badoer were never given a real chance, and didn't exactly show that they shouldn't be in F1.

Thats putting it mildly. Sospiris only had one shot, with Lola :E Marques had three, all on Minardi :E and Badoer... well... BMS Scuderia, Forti and Minardi...

Well, Badoer had his chance with Ferrari but he was well.. Bad :P
I got Pointed Opinions and I ain't afraid to use em!
F1rejects no.1Räikkönen and Vettel fan.
BTW, thats Räikkönen with two K's and two N's. Not Raikonnen (Raikkonen is fine if you have no umlauts though)
CarlosFerreira

Post by CarlosFerreira »

Ferrim wrote:
CarlosFerreira wrote:
Ferrim wrote:By the way, Jamie and you are my ROTR for Valencia - for having yet to upload the European GP review! :lol:

I nominate you for not giving me a link to that thread I failed to read! :mrgreen:

Apologies where they are due:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=426#p10360
;)
Stay home, Colin Kolles!
lostpin

Post by lostpin »

I think that I'll nominate Fisico, for being so damn good in Spa and for snatching away the Monza drive from Badoer.. :mrgreen:
Captain Hammer

Post by Captain Hammer »

lostpin wrote:I think that I'll nominate Fisico, for being so damn good in Spa and for snatching away the Monza drive from Badoer.. :mrgreen:

Sorry, but I'm going to have to nominate you for that one. How is Fisichella moving to Ferrari - and replacing the woeful Badoer - a bad thing? Ferrari probably bought his Force India contract out a little, so it's not like Mallya is losing out.
mario wrote:I'm wondering what the hell has been going on in this thread [...] it's turned into a bizarre detour into mythical flying horses and the sort of search engine results that CoopsII is going to have a very hard time explaining ...
Alianora La Canta

Post by Alianora La Canta »

I think this thread has got slightly out of hand...

My choice for Reject of the Race is Badoer. Where was he all race weekend (apart from the memorable moment in FP3 when Rob Smedley told him off)?
Bort

Post by Bort »

Captain Hammer wrote:Sorry, but I'm going to have to nominate you for that one. How is Fisichella moving to Ferrari - and replacing the woeful Badoer - a bad thing? Ferrari probably bought his Force India contract out a little, so it's not like Mallya is losing out.

Because we will not get the enjoyment of seeing Badoer race at Monza.
Captain Hammer

Post by Captain Hammer »

Bort wrote:
Captain Hammer wrote:Sorry, but I'm going to have to nominate you for that one. How is Fisichella moving to Ferrari - and replacing the woeful Badoer - a bad thing? Ferrari probably bought his Force India contract out a little, so it's not like Mallya is losing out.

Because we will not get the enjoyment of seeing Badoer race at Monza.

I'm fairly certain the only word you could use to describe what Badoer was doing is "driving", not "racing".
mario wrote:I'm wondering what the hell has been going on in this thread [...] it's turned into a bizarre detour into mythical flying horses and the sort of search engine results that CoopsII is going to have a very hard time explaining ...
Irisado

Post by Irisado »

Do you think it might just be possible to leave Luca Badoer alone now? His career is over, nobody will ever beat his record, and his dream of driving for Ferrari came ten years too late, and ended up being shattered into tiny little pieces like a mirror falling from the sky. The media have crucified him, the Italians hate him, and there have some rather ill informed comments made across a variety of media sources towards him.

Yes, he didn't do very well in either of those races. He knows that, we know that, but let's just leave it at that now and move on.

FW08 wrote:First of all, this wasn't even close to being the first time when a driver has to run wide in the first corner on the first lap at Spa in order to avoid a crash.

There should have been penalties awarded last year as well, I agree, but the point is he went wider than was necessary, the stewards should have taken action, but failed to do so.

He did not gain any places for it, and as DC said, he gathered enough dirt on his tires to still go a bit wide on the breaking at Les Combes.

He passed both BMWs easily thanks to running wide, so I don't agree at all. Yes, he slithered off the road at Les Combes, but he had a huge slice of luck when Kubica didn't just crash straight into the back of him

I challenge anyone to explain how he could've possibly avoided Kubica as he returned on the track?

By not running all four wheels off it in the first place. He didn't even look in his mirrors on rejoining, as far as I could tell, which made it even worse.

Give the man the credit he is due. He drove a great race, the most impressive we've seen in years. (I mean when was the last time somebody with the clearly slower car won over a faster car without any tactical advantage?)

So, KERS wasn't a tactical advantage at the re-start? If that's what you are claiming, I disagree with you I'm afraid.

I have more issues with the stewards than I have with Raikkonen though (see my earlier posts in this thread for my detailed argument).
My favourite teams: Minardi, Forti, Osella

Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente
DonTirri
Location: Herttoniemi, Helsinki, Finland, Europe, Earth, Sol System, Milky Way.

Post by DonTirri »

KERS is a tactical advantage thats for sure, I am not denying that. But guess what?

It's a legal advantage. A legal advantage that Ferrari developed at the cost of other car development.

I find it slightly amusing that when KERS, after months of unabased bashing, is actually advantegous, people throw a fit.

Are you just ticked off that it wasn't the utter and complete failure you wanted it to be?
I got Pointed Opinions and I ain't afraid to use em!
F1rejects no.1Räikkönen and Vettel fan.
BTW, thats Räikkönen with two K's and two N's. Not Raikonnen (Raikkonen is fine if you have no umlauts though)
Irisado

Post by Irisado »

DonTirri wrote:Are you just ticked off that it wasn't the utter and complete failure you wanted it to be?

I'm not throwing a fit. I don't like it, because I think when the idea is meant to be one of cutting costs, to introduce KERS is an oxymoron in that respect, and also it makes a mockery of the ridiculous rules on gearbox and engine restrictions, both of which make F1 cars too reliable in my opinion. In other words, the FIA basically set, we must keep costs down, but you can all spend loads of money on KERS! That makes no sense in my opinion.

I didn't question it's legality, so I have no idea why you brought that point up.
My favourite teams: Minardi, Forti, Osella

Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente