The Caterham Thread

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
Frogfoot9013

Re: The Caterham Thread

Post by Frogfoot9013 »

Biscione wrote:Barrichello? No, go away.

André Lotterer - Loïc Duval is the lineup of the century. And so my message to Caterham...

Caterham will have failed us all if that lineup does not come to pass.
James Hunt, commentating on the 1991 German Grand Prix wrote:The Benettons looking very smart together on the track, mostly because they're both going so slowly.
Yannick

Post by Yannick »

From a sporting perspective, only a lineup of Kobayashi and Lotterer would make sense, now that Ericsson has already set sail for Sauber, wouldn't it? Is Kamui-san even interested in driving for the team again after what happened in Sotchi?
"I don't think we should be used to finance (the manufacturers') R&D because they will produce that engine anyway" said Monisha Kaltenborn.
"You will never see a Mercedes using a Ferrari engine or the other way round."
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

Three names I missed out that might be eligible, if they applied for a Superlicense within 90 days of the Silverstone test - Julian Leal, Will Stevens and Stoffel Vandoorne.

Leal could be in with a real shout - he fits the mould of so-so pay-driver, that (potentially) got his license only by the 300km testing rule. It's plausible he has the cash and the desperation to cough up 500K for one shot in F1 with the dying team he paid to test for earlier in the year...
Novitopoli wrote:Everytime someone orders at Pizza Hut, an Italian dies.
Novitopoli wrote:Juve's Triplete: Calciopoli, doping & Mafia connections.

Image Image
mario

Post by mario »

And now it seems that things may not have been quite so rosy behind the scenes as was initially portrayed - The Guardian are reporting that, on the very same day that the administrators announced that they were going to race in Abu Dhabi, all of the 230 members of staff of 1MRT were made redundant.

Now, O'Connell has claimed that he was only appointed to administer 1MRT on Friday (the same day that the redundancy notices were sent out), and has also claimed that the majority of the workforce wanted to be made redundant in order to set up claims against the team. However, one senior aerodynamicist has been suggesting that the announcement the team would race in Abu Dhabi was a smokescreen to hide the bad news that the workforce were being made redundant, and that the members of staff had not been paid for at least seven weeks.

Perhaps two of the paragraphs in the article sum up the situation quite bitterly:
With the sport’s governing body, the FIA, showing no leadership, and its leading shareholders, CVC Captial Partners, creaming off profits of £350m without reinvesting anything as they hope to sell it on, it is little wonder that F1 is such a basket case.

It doesn’t really deserve a climax like Abu Dhabi next week.

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/blog/2 ... aul-weaver
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
andrew

Post by andrew »

According to Mehri and autosport, Mehri has a race deal for Abu Dhabi
GwilymJJames

Post by GwilymJJames »

andrew wrote:According to Mehri and autosport, Mehri has a race deal for Abu Dhabi

Not quite.

He has a contract to be the replacement if either Kobayashi or Ericsson cannot race. But contracts mean little in this game.
WARNING: Vettel fan.

Shut up Eccles!
Frogfoot9013

Post by Frogfoot9013 »

andrew wrote:According to Mehri and autosport, Mehri has a race deal for Abu Dhabi

That is, if Caterham still exists by Abu Dhabi.
James Hunt, commentating on the 1991 German Grand Prix wrote:The Benettons looking very smart together on the track, mostly because they're both going so slowly.
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

GwilymJJames wrote:

Not quite.

He has a contract to be the replacement if either Kobayashi or Ericsson cannot race. But contracts mean little in this game.

Not true. Ericsson has fully rescinded his Caterham contract. Therefore, a seat is free for Mehri to drop into.

It looks like they also want to replace Kobayashi with Lotterer again. Not sure what the motivation behind it is this time however...
Novitopoli wrote:Everytime someone orders at Pizza Hut, an Italian dies.
Novitopoli wrote:Juve's Triplete: Calciopoli, doping & Mafia connections.

Image Image
Frogfoot9013

Post by Frogfoot9013 »

Biscione wrote:
GwilymJJames wrote:

Not quite.

Not true. Ericsson has fully rescinded his Caterham contract. Therefore, a seat is free for Mehri to drop into.

It looks like they also want to replace Kobayashi with Lotterer again. Not sure what the motivation behind it is this time however...

Based on his scathing criticism of F1 at Belgium, I'm not sure if he'd want to race for Caterham again.
f1andrea

Post by f1andrea »

The italian newspaper "La Gazzetta dello Sport" said that for Abu Dhabi GP Caterham will have Kobayashi and Chilton. I'm not so sure about this news, recently this newspaper is became rubbish about motorsport.
Anyway, Khalil Beschir said that Caterham offered him to drive in FP1

http://www.blogf1.it/2014/11/16/caterha ... abu-dhabi/ (italian)
Bobby Doorknobs

Post by Bobby Doorknobs »

f1andrea wrote:The italian newspaper "La Gazzetta dello Sport" said that for Abu Dhabi GP Caterham will have Kobayashi and Chilton. I'm not so sure about this news, recently this newspaper is became rubbish about motorsport.
Anyway, Khalil Beschir said that Caterham offered him to drive in FP1

http://www.blogf1.it/2014/11/16/caterha ... abu-dhabi/ (italian)

At this rate I'm certain that this is going to happen:
#FreeGonzo
Frogfoot9013

Post by Frogfoot9013 »

I think Taki Inoue has a better chance of driving for Caterham than Alonso at Abu Dhabi.
Bobby Doorknobs

Frogfoot9013 wrote:I think Taki Inoue has a better chance of driving for Caterham than Alonso at Abu Dhabi.

I'm not so sure. We've already established that Caterham is the template for the future Audi F1 team, hence Lotterer's presence there at Spa. Stefano Domenicali has joined Audi in a "non-motorsport-related" capacity. Using typical F1 thinking that means that it is a motorsport-related capacity. Given Domenicali's connection with Alonso at Ferrari, it's obvious that Audi are enticing Alonso to join their effort. This means that Audi are attempting to install a Lotterer-Alonso lineup at Caterham for Abu Dhabi, to see if it could work for their 2016 title bid.
#FreeGonzo
Frogfoot9013

Post by Frogfoot9013 »

Simtek wrote:
Frogfoot9013 wrote:I think Taki Inoue has a better chance of driving for Caterham than Alonso at Abu Dhabi.

I'm not so sure. We've already established that Caterham is the template for the future Audi F1 team, hence Lotterer's presence there at Spa. Stefano Domenicali has joined Audi in a "non-motorsport-related" capacity. Using typical F1 thinking that means that it is a motorsport-related capacity. Given Domenicali's connection with Alonso at Ferrari, it's obvious that Audi are enticing Alonso to join their effort. This means that Audi are attempting to install a Lotterer-Alonso lineup at Caterham for Abu Dhabi, to see if it could work for their 2016 title bid.

I hope Audi use the name Lamborghini if they were to enter F1, considering their proud history in F1. :P
Bobby Doorknobs

#FreeGonzo
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

Well, it's not exactly unexpected. Andre's been vocal on his stance on F1, and to return would be a touch hypocritical.
Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
Frogfoot9013

Post by Frogfoot9013 »

NNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

Frogfoot9013 wrote:

You seriously expected him to take the drive? Really???
Sebastian Vettel wrote:If I was good at losing I wouldn't be in Formula 1.
Everything's great.
I'm not surprised about anything.
pasta_maldonado
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by pasta_maldonado »

Frogfoot9013 wrote:

There was no need for that huge text. Next, you'll be using comic sans...
Klon wrote:more liek Nick Ass-idy amirite?
Frogfoot9013

Post by Frogfoot9013 »

pasta_maldonado wrote:
Frogfoot9013 wrote:

There was no need for that huge text. Next, you'll be using comic sans...

I needed to use large text because it's such a tragedy that Lotterer won't be racing. And I don't even like comic sans. :cry:
pasta_maldonado
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by pasta_maldonado »

Frogfoot9013 wrote:I needed to use large text because it's such a tragedy that Lotterer won't be racing. And I don't even like comic sans. :cry:

But yet, you've missed the point. We're all a bit annoyed that Lotterer has made the (admittedly, better) choice to not race for Caterham, but that doesn't warrant the size a billion bold font. Even that would have been no problem, if there'd had been something written after it that had the possibility of moving the thread along.

The problem is not your disappointment in Lotterer, but in the quality of your posts. If posts are not of Noble-prize winning standard, that's not a problem. What is a problem is when people interject into discussions with stuff like "Imagine F1 cars having 8 wheels", "what if F1 awarded 7 points for a win?", or "what if all F1 constructors had to be named after cheese references?". When there's attempts to have a discussion, nonsensical interjection isn't welcome unless it's funny in some way...which, most of the stuff you've posted isn't.

I appreciate you have ADHD, but it seems like you're not making an effort to make worthwhile posts. Quite frankly, it looks like you're posting utter crap, and using ADHD as an excuse. Just because you have ADHD, it does not give you a license to make low-quality posts all of the time without trying.
Klon wrote:more liek Nick Ass-idy amirite?
andrew

Post by andrew »

Darn that is a bit disappointing, didn't expect him to race anyway but would have been nice. Maybe he should turn up in his LMP1 Audi and see where he finishes.
f1andrea

Post by f1andrea »

I'm disappointed about his choice...ok, Caterham is the slowest car on the gird, but is always F1..
Nessafox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nessafox »

pasta_maldonado wrote:... "what if all F1 constructors had to be named after cheese references?"....

To be honest, everybody would like to see that. Altough it reminds me of that potato guy we once had on this forum. :roll:

More on topic: i never understood what convinced Lotterer to race in Spa in the first place. Altough he did prove a point by turning out to be quite good. But he is wise enough to soon have realised Caterham was pathetic. I think that means they are now forced to run with Kobayashi. I don't mind seeing Kobayashi, but his heart isn't in it anymore.
I don't know what i want and i want it now!
Miguel98

Post by Miguel98 »

This is the best tweet ever. In all of history.

:mrgreen: :lol:
Mario on Gutierrez after the Italian Grand Prix wrote:He's no longer just a bit of a tool, he's the entire tool set.

18-07-2015: Forever in our hearts Jules.
25-08-2015: Forever in our hearts Justin.
Frogfoot9013

Post by Frogfoot9013 »

pasta_maldonado wrote:
Frogfoot9013 wrote:I needed to use large text because it's such a tragedy that Lotterer won't be racing. And I don't even like comic sans. :cry:

But yet, you've missed the point. We're all a bit annoyed that Lotterer has made the (admittedly, better) choice to not race for Caterham, but that doesn't warrant the size a billion bold font. Even that would have been no problem, if there'd had been something written after it that had the possibility of moving the thread along.

The problem is not your disappointment in Lotterer, but in the quality of your posts. If posts are not of Noble-prize winning standard, that's not a problem. What is a problem is when people interject into discussions with stuff like "Imagine F1 cars having 8 wheels", "what if F1 awarded 7 points for a win?", or "what if all F1 constructors had to be named after cheese references?". When there's attempts to have a discussion, nonsensical interjection isn't welcome unless it's funny in some way...which, most of the stuff you've posted isn't.

I appreciate you have ADHD, but it seems like you're not making an effort to make worthwhile posts. Quite frankly, it looks like you're posting utter crap, and using ADHD as an excuse. Just because you have ADHD, it does not give you a license to make low-quality posts all of the time without trying.

Having taken that criticism into account, and coming to the conclusion that it will impossible for me to change my incredibly annoying habits, I have decided to step away from the forum indefinitely. This does not mean for good, just for a considerably long time.
EDIT: I'm gonna change from leaving the forum indefinitely to leaving for good simply because I'll probably be the exact same annoying fool as before, even 10-20 years down the line if I'm still alive then.
Last edited by Frogfoot9013 on 17 Nov 2014, 00:43, edited 1 time in total.
mario

Post by mario »

Ataxia wrote:

Well, it's not exactly unexpected. Andre's been vocal on his stance on F1, and to return would be a touch hypocritical.

I imagine Audi might perhaps have been leaning on Lotterer not to participate too - his participation in Spa disrupted their testing program, and given Toyota have been pressuring Audi pretty hard in the WEC this season, I imagine that they wouldn't want any further disruption.
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
noiceinmydrink

Post by noiceinmydrink »

Miguel98 wrote:This is the best tweet ever. In all of history.

Brilliant! :lol:
Bobby Doorknobs

Miguel98 wrote:This is the best tweet ever. In all of history.

This is why I love Conor Daly! :lol:
#FreeGonzo
GwilymJJames

Post by GwilymJJames »

WARNING: Vettel fan.

Shut up Eccles!
Bobby Doorknobs

GwilymJJames wrote:

So this is it. Kamui's swansong. I'm going to miss him. :cry:
#FreeGonzo
AustralianStig

Post by AustralianStig »

This wrote:
pasta_maldonado wrote:... "what if all F1 constructors had to be named after cheese references?"....

To be honest, everybody would like to see that. Altough it reminds me of that potato guy we once had on this forum. :roll:

"And it's Alonso in the Wensleydale-Brie around the outside of Massa in the Jarlsberg-Cheddar!"

Yeah, I can see that catching on!
Join the GP Rejects league at Fantasy F1: https://fantasy.formula1.com/join/?=2a1f25

CoopsII wrote:
Biscione wrote:To the surprise of no-one, Daniil Kvyat wins ROTR for Sochi, by a record margin that may not be surpassed for some time.

I always knew Marko read this forum.
fjackdaw

Post by fjackdaw »

pasta_maldonado wrote:

Harsh - who made you forum police? I'd rather see someone who's enjoying themselves than a humourless rant which drives them away,
watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

If Chilton races, I rescind all my comments about the pointlessness of Caterham racing at Abu Dhabi. It suddenly becomes the most meaningful thing in motorsport.

Trouble is, have they said how they intend to race at Abu Dhabi without any staff? Do they only have the race-day staff left or is it a case of the staff being made redundant but still working the grand prix weekend and then leaving? Or neither of these?
Watka - you know, the swimming horses guy
andrew

Post by andrew »

Not sure why KK has chosen to race but i suppose that is his contract ( unless in is stated otherwise) II believe Mehri will be racing alongside him if he has a super licence. I'm not to sure about maxie, does the fact marussia has gone out of business mean that he can break a contract? Here's one to throw out there. How about red Bull pay Caterham to run Sainz, winning the WSBR will give him the necessary licence to race I believe.

And pasta, just because his posts may not be as amusing or as good as yours does not warrant you to have a go at him. If you do not like it you don't have to reply or make issue of it, everybody has a different sense of humour and you don't have to like it but get over it, it's just a post.
andrew2209

Post by andrew2209 »

watka wrote:If Chilton races, I rescind all my comments about the pointlessness of Caterham racing at Abu Dhabi. It suddenly becomes the most meaningful thing in motorsport.

Trouble is, have they said how they intend to race at Abu Dhabi without any staff? Do they only have the race-day staff left or is it a case of the staff being made redundant but still working the grand prix weekend and then leaving? Or neither of these?

Seeing Chilton in a Caterham just wouldn't feel right to me, especially seeing what's happened to Marussia.
Faustus
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Faustus »

watka wrote:Trouble is, have they said how they intend to race at Abu Dhabi without any staff? Do they only have the race-day staff left or is it a case of the staff being made redundant but still working the grand prix weekend and then leaving? Or neither of these?

That is exactly what I was thinking. Colin Kolles' mob, maybe?
Following Formula 1 since 1984.
Avid collector of Formula 1 season guides and reviews.
Collector of reject merchandise and 1/43rd scale reject model cars.
Backmarker

Post by Backmarker »

Faustus wrote:
watka wrote:Trouble is, have they said how they intend to race at Abu Dhabi without any staff? Do they only have the race-day staff left or is it a case of the staff being made redundant but still working the grand prix weekend and then leaving? Or neither of these?

Mob is the word for it.

Interestingly, I hadn't realised, but the chassis design and manufacturing element of Caterham was spun off into a business called CF1 Manufacturing and run by John Iley. The word is that CF1 Manufacturing will make the chassis for Forza Rossa (Colin Kolles having burnt bridges with Dallara and SCE) in 2016...
The Iceman Waiteth
What if Kimi Räikkönen hadn't got his chance in 2001?
Klon
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Klon »

This wrote:

Oi! That guy was a classic. Next you know you going to talk smack about Whole Spanish Press? :evil:
mario

Post by mario »

Faustus wrote:

The indication so far is that the redundancy notice is effective immediately and that that the people who will be working for Caterham in Abu Dhabi will be external consultants hired in for that weekend. Kolles does seem like the most plausible figure who would be in a position to do that, given his current connections with the team - I'm not really sure who else could or, perhaps more importantly, would, deal with Caterham at this late stage.