2015 United States Grand Prix Discussion Thread

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
Paul Hayes

Re: 2015 United States Grand Prix Discussion Thread

Post by Paul Hayes »

I'm glad it seems as if we may get a full race today, and a wet one too. I just hope we don't have to spend too long behind the safety car. I think the championship is over, but let's hope we have some entertaining races in and of themselves before the end of the season.
Paul Hayes

Post by Paul Hayes »

Actually, having said that, looking at the coverage it looks as if it might even be a mostly dry race... Intriguing.
mario

Post by mario »

Aguaman wrote:So Seb will start from 15th. Ooft

And Kimi is back down in 18th place, as he has to take a grid penalty as well - the only consolation is that the wet conditions may actually give both drivers a better chance of climbing through the field.

Paul Hayes wrote:I'm glad it seems as if we may get a full race today, and a wet one too. I just hope we don't have to spend too long behind the safety car. I think the championship is over, but let's hope we have some entertaining races in and of themselves before the end of the season.

Well, the track seems to have dried up quite rapidly due to the fairly high wind speed - Kravitz was wondering whether it might be dry enough for intermediates, and most of the drivers seem to be heading to the grid on intermediate tyres instead of full wets.
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
Miguel98

Post by Miguel98 »

Most of the cars are on the intermediates, indeed. Showers are predicted for late on the race.. Hopefully they'll arrive on time.
Mario on Gutierrez after the Italian Grand Prix wrote:He's no longer just a bit of a tool, he's the entire tool set.

18-07-2015: Forever in our hearts Jules.
25-08-2015: Forever in our hearts Justin.
mario

Post by mario »

Breaking news, and it is not good news for Bottas - it turns out that he damaged his rear suspension in qualifying and has to change the gearbox as a result (I guess it must have been a mounting point that has been damaged), so he has to take a grid penalty as well.
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
good_Ralf

Post by good_Ralf »

At last McLaren made the final qualifying session! :P

Lol, Rosberg once again lets himself get pushed off by Lewis.
Also stupid strategy from Williams, Bottas got lapped because of the lack of grip he has on the slicks.
Check out the position of the sun on 2 August at 20:08 in my garden

Allard Kalff in 1994 wrote:OH!! Schumacher in the wall! Right in front of us, Michael Schumacher is in the wall! He's hit the pitwall, he c... Ah, it's Jos Verstappen.
Fetzie

Post by Fetzie »

So much for Hamilton not pushing to win the Championship this race :p
rachel1990

Post by rachel1990 »

talk about a nightmare with tyres at the moment. the Inters are dying and yet there isn't enough grip for slicks. Might have to change for more inters especially for merc . Red Bull 1st and 2nd looking likely.
Benetton of 1992. Never a reject
good_Ralf

Post by good_Ralf »

Damn it Kvyat, if only you hadn't mis-braked for the last corner! Well Salamander is going to wish the race stopped now/soon.

Allard Kalff in 1994 wrote:OH!! Schumacher in the wall! Right in front of us, Michael Schumacher is in the wall! He's hit the pitwall, he c... Ah, it's Jos Verstappen.
rachel1990

Post by rachel1990 »

However I reckon Hamilton will win the championship today.
UncreativeUsername37

Post by UncreativeUsername37 »

räikkönen recovery of the year
Rob Dylan wrote:Mercedes paying homage to the other W12 chassis by breaking down 30 minutes in
rachel1990

Post by rachel1990 »

well done kimi. um... back to the back but still! :D
good_Ralf

Post by good_Ralf »

At long last, Williams get a double-DNF again!

rachel1990

Post by rachel1990 »

And usual service has resumed. Mercedes 1st and 2nd

And Kimi is out. all scandinavians gone.
good_Ralf

Post by good_Ralf »

Come on, how can after all this the top 3 be the same as usual? Ohh, why you do this Hulk? C'mon Max, you can do this!

Londoner

Post by Londoner »

Remember when everyone said Nico Hulkenberg deserves a top car? No, I can't either. :facepalm:

McLaren P5 and P6. What is this shite?
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
UncreativeUsername37

Kvyat out, two more for a Rossi point
Rob Dylan wrote:Mercedes paying homage to the other W12 chassis by breaking down 30 minutes in
rachel1990

Post by rachel1990 »

and to think Red Bull looked like they were heading for a 1/2 at one point

Oh and Ferrari. interesting call.
rachel1990

Post by rachel1990 »

come on Honda- can we have an engine failure please!!
UncreativeUsername37

Rosberg :facepalm:
rachel1990

Post by rachel1990 »

and thats it surely. Well done Nico. :facepalm:
rachel1990

Post by rachel1990 »

Come on Alonso Drop out!!!
UncreativeUsername37

With 3 laps to go, it's looking like... Hamilton-Rosberg-Vettel.
rachel1990

Post by rachel1990 »

Looks like Vettel's going to ruin Hamilton's day
UncreativeUsername37

Well, Hamilton the deserving champion.

meh
good_Ralf

Post by good_Ralf »

UgncreativeUsergname wrote:With 3 laps to go, it's looking like... Hamilton-Rosberg-Vettel.

Sums up the dominance of the top 3 this season, in spite of all the events of this weekend. Still, I was expecting this result the whole race.

And Hamilton matches Senna. Bravo!

rachel1990

Post by rachel1990 »

but Vettel Didn't

Hamilton wins the title for the third time. Hopefully next season Vettel vs Hamilton because I have given up on Nico.
Miguel98

Post by Miguel98 »

Nico choking like Power or Helio wouldn't choke. :facepalm:

Race of the year this one, really good. We need rain every weekend. :P
Mario on Gutierrez after the Italian Grand Prix wrote:He's no longer just a bit of a tool, he's the entire tool set.

18-07-2015: Forever in our hearts Jules.
25-08-2015: Forever in our hearts Justin.
Paul Hayes

Post by Paul Hayes »

Well that's annoying - all that excitement, all that drama, and Hamilton still bloody wins the race. Ah well, hats off to him I suppose.
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

After this race, I'd happily take Rosberg being sacked for Pascal Wehrlein.
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
rachel1990

Post by rachel1990 »

Paul Hayes wrote:Well that's annoying - all that excitement, all that drama, and Hamilton still bloody wins the race. Ah well, hats off to him I suppose.

In face it was the same top 3 that we have had all year!!! Just goes to show something. God knows what!
Enforcer
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Enforcer »

Cannot deny Hamilton deserves his Championship. No driver's been near him for consistency and speed all season. I think even had Vettel the same machinery, he wouldn't have quite been able to stop him. Well done, lad.

Now excuse me whilst I insulate myself from the British F1 media for the next month.
Aguaman

Post by Aguaman »

Yeah avoiding the post race stuff because I don't want to hear Crofty and co like go blahhhhh
Bobby Doorknobs

Post by Bobby Doorknobs »

Interesting that we unexpectedly ended up with a normally expected top three. Still, most stories have virtually the same ending. What matters is how they get there.
#FreeGonzo
mario

Post by mario »

rachel1990 wrote:but Vettel Didn't

Hamilton wins the title for the third time. Hopefully next season Vettel vs Hamilton because I have given up on Nico.

Ultimately, I think that kind of summed up Rosberg's season - he had moments of brilliance and good fortune during the race that put him in an advantageous position, but he ultimately blew it by himself (because, at least in that point in the race, Hamilton was only slowly catching him).

To a certain extent, I wonder whether Rosberg's evident frustration at the end (the little moment with the cap chucking) was because he felt Hamilton was too forceful at the start, or whether it was because Rosberg knew that he ultimately gifted the win and the title to Hamilton with his mistake - I half wonder if it was more the latter than the former.
Enforcer
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Enforcer »

Simtek wrote:Interesting that we unexpectedly ended up with a normally expected top three. Still, most stories have virtually the same ending. What matters is how they get there.

Well, as much as we say "rain spices things up!", and don't get me wrong it does sometimes, and you can get unexpected results, most of the time, it's just going to highlight who has the best chassis.

The best chassis is usually going to be at or near the front of the grid anyway. The only possible surprise rain could really pull is promoting Red Bull from 3rd / 4th quickest car to quickest. Which is what it did - Ricciardo waltzed away from the Mercs once he got past on inters. But it's never going to create a Sauber or Manor victory.
Dan B

Post by Dan B »

While I do think Hamilton is an insufferable git, for the most part he was the most consistent driver with the most consistent team with the most consistent crew all season out of the top teams. Would I have preferred to see a different champion? Yes, definitely, but aside from Vettel there really isn't anyone on the grid that is championship material, whether it be due to inconsistency with the car (Alonso, Button, possibly Raikkonen) or inconsistency with themselves (Rosberg, Raikkonen). So with that, congratulations to Hamilton, even if I type this with baited fingers.

As far as the race goes, this has probably been the most entertaining one all year. Fantastic wheel-to-wheel racing, drama with the weather, attrition, and general stupidity on some drivers, and all on a Tilke designed circuit on top of that.

Kvyat's crash looked nasty, but it looked unforced rather than something just breaking on the car. Verstappen's also making a good case for himself by outdriving both Red Bulls; I wouldn't be surprised to see him at Red Bull for 2017.

Hulkenberg is overdriving; That was more or less the same move Raikkonen did two weeks ago and look what happened to him, though this time Hulkenberg was the unfortunate outcome of that. It's a shame too because I do think he's a decent driver, but these stupid crashes and retirements need to stop happening. Meanwhile the driver who has been labeled as more erratic, Perez, instead is racking up the results.

Williams were astonishingly poor, with Massa being caught in a first corner pileup (and then later retiring) while Bottas retires for suspension issues. From what I heard, suspension issues are what caused Grosjean to retire, and on top of that there were some large bumps on the circuit that might've caused the cars to go awry.

Red Bull dropped the ball big time. Kvyat looked strong but kept going wide (and eventually binned it) and Ricciardo kept getting into tangles that eventually dropped him into 11th.

As for Kimi, just what the hell? :facepalm: I wonder if that car wrestling was what forced his retirement.

All in all though, a great race, and probably the best this season. Bring on Mexico!
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

I wonder what must be going through Kvyat's mind. He had such a brilliant start to the race, got mugged on the first restart, slipped back, went off the track several times and finally crashed out with a dozen or so laps left.

Ricciardo kept getting into tangles that eventually dropped him into 11th.

Not his fault Hulkenberg forgot he had damage, and that Sainz drove straight into him.
Sebastian Vettel wrote:If I was good at losing I wouldn't be in Formula 1.
Everything's great.
I'm not surprised about anything.
Bobby Doorknobs

Post by Bobby Doorknobs »

Enforcer wrote:
Simtek wrote:Interesting that we unexpectedly ended up with a normally expected top three. Still, most stories have virtually the same ending. What matters is how they get there.

Well, as much as we say "rain spices things up!", and don't get me wrong it does sometimes, and you can get unexpected results, most of the time, it's just going to highlight who has the best chassis.

The best chassis is usually going to be at or near the front of the grid anyway. The only possible surprise rain could really pull is promoting Red Bull from 3rd / 4th quickest car to quickest. Which is what it did - Ricciardo waltzed away from the Mercs once he got past on inters. But it's never going to create a Sauber or Manor victory.

That Hamilton and Rosberg were going to end up on the podium, I was never fully in doubt. That Vettel was going to beat both Red Bulls after the pace the latter showed in qualifying and the early part of the race plus Vettel's grid penalty, I was not expecting to happen. Obviously I wasn't expecting Verstappen to win or anything like that, I just wasn't expecting the usual Hamilton-Rosberg-Vettel podium in that order.
#FreeGonzo
Aguaman

Post by Aguaman »

It was weird for Lewis to ask about braking in Turn 1. Anyway he can relax and try to rack up more wins.

Happy to see Maldonado score as well. 8th place and kept it clean even though he struggled this whole weekend.

Though the one sour thing about Lewis winning is that a Ferrari wouldn't and I guess Crofty trying to defend Lewis on those #AskCrofty things such as answering "why does Hamilton get such a bad rep, if other people were in the car etc etc... Why doesn't he get the praise he deserves"

&

"Do you think Nico was tempted to let Seb past to spite Lewis and prolong the championship?"
Last edited by Aguaman on 25 Oct 2015, 21:41, edited 2 times in total.