2015 Belgian Grand Prix

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
Fetzie

Re: 2015 Belgian Grand Prix

Post by Fetzie »

dr-baker wrote:
Biscione wrote:Why not a historic Rally Monte Carlo style start? All their penalties mean they have to start the race from Woking and drive to the track before starting their racing laps.

Could be an interesting rule for the non-European races (particularly Melbourne!). Better get Chitty Chitty Bang Bang ready for that stage of the race! (With Count Louis Zborowski as car consultant, perhaps? ;) )

Nah, that bit's easy...

I'm sure their very clever aerodynamics boffins know that if you turn a spoiler upside-down you get a wing that generates lift :D
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

In the latest installment of the 2015 Penalties Grand Prix, Kimi's just copped a 5-place grid penalty for a gearbox change. He now starts 17th.
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
Miguel98

Post by Miguel98 »

East Londoner wrote:In the latest installment of the 2015 Penalties Grand Prix, Kimi's just copped a 5-place grid penalty for a gearbox change. He now starts 17th.

Which he won't serve, turning a 5 place grid penalty into a 2 place grid penalty. He'll start 16th, ahead of Mehri.
Mario on Gutierrez after the Italian Grand Prix wrote:He's no longer just a bit of a tool, he's the entire tool set.

18-07-2015: Forever in our hearts Jules.
25-08-2015: Forever in our hearts Justin.
Aguaman

Post by Aguaman »

Sky hatin' on Pastor.

:|

lol. So rumors of rain at the end of the race. Oooh
RonDenisDeletraz

Post by RonDenisDeletraz »

Stalled Hulk
aerond wrote:Yes RDD, but we always knew you never had any sort of taste either :P

tommykl wrote:I have a shite car and meme sponsors, but Corrado Fabi will carry me to the promised land with the power of Lionel Richie.
Aguaman

Post by Aguaman »

So lost Hulk and lost Maldonado. Dandy.

Sainz still going.
Fetzie

Post by Fetzie »

What was that from Button?!

"we forgot to connect the batteries"?
Aguaman

Post by Aguaman »

Bottas with 3 of the same compound and 1 different. ROTR?
tBone

Post by tBone »

Max again manages to scare and amaze me at the same time.
YOUR
LOGO

Here
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

I wish the FIA would get rid of some of this over-regulation. I'd love to see teams using different compounds of tyres on each side, or even each corner of the car. It also makes non-stopping a possibility.

But oh no, that's far too interesting for F1. Gotta have that rigid set of rules.

My god, Pastor's luck is tragic. The Lotus is a legit rocketship this afternoon, and it breaks down on him on Lap 2. :( :( :(
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
Miguel98

Post by Miguel98 »

We can all celebrate, as Romain Grosjean is back on the podium! :D
Mario on Gutierrez after the Italian Grand Prix wrote:He's no longer just a bit of a tool, he's the entire tool set.

Aguaman

Post by Aguaman »

RoGo ftw. Also damn for Vettel. That's just unlucky but I guess it happens.
mario

Post by mario »

Miguel98 wrote:We can all celebrate, as Romain Grosjean is back on the podium! :D

And it was a great drive from him too - although I wager that F1Fanatic is going to be in full "shrieking tabloid" mode following what happened to Vettel, which will sadly drown out everything else.
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
Miguel98

Post by Miguel98 »

While the result was again predictable (at least, top 2 related), it was a fairly decent. Not the best Spa race, and not as good as last year, but still fairly decent. The biggest downside was probably the weather forecast, which changed midweek from rain all weekend, to sun all weekend, to the chance of rain hitting the end of the race today. Which, sadly, didn't happen.

Mercedes once again almost perfect. If Rosberg hadn't screwed up his start, he probably could've fought Hamilton, since he was on pace with him when he was not busy passing people. But 28 points of a gap from Lewis is just too big... The only way for Nico to win the title now is if Lewis has one reliability gremlin. And that just ain't happening.

Williams we're nowhere. This was clear Reject of the Race worthy. Not just for the shenanigans of the tyres with Bottas car, but also they had no pace in what should've been their most competitive circuit. They kept getting overtaken, and we're not that fast. Massa still grabbed 6th, but we expected much more from them on a power track. I wonder if they we're running a bit more downforce than most though, seeing they had no straightline speed what so ever today.

Ferrari had a troubled weekend. After Kimi's car died on Q2, and coincidently, that ruined Vettel's qualifying (he only had one set of tyres come Q3), and he made a scrubby lap out of it, they had to pull something amazing. And to be fair, Seb almost did the one stop work, until the tyre went boom. One can wonder though, if this was Pirelli's fault, Ferrari's fault, or simple debris that caused the tyre explosion. Who ever's fault it was, Vettel did a superb race. Kimi came from 16th to 8th, and he seemed to be running a shorter final gear than everyone else most times. Well, not the best way to see your first race after contract renewal ending, but at least he still brought points in order for Ferrari not to loose much for Williams.

Red Bull once again proving that running -1 wings ( :P ) works. Even though the Renault engine wasn't great, like last year, their aerodynamic package was bloody incredible, and it did wonders for them with DRS. Shame Ricciardo's car kinda died on him, he probably could've gotten 3rd or 4th. Another bad luck for him... Or is it bad luck? Kvyat did a good race, using the soft tyres to great extent on his final stint, climbing into 4th place, which is a great result for him again. He's driving much better than what he was doing at the start of the year.

Force India had a great weekend. Their straightline speed was great, which helped Perez in qualifying (Hulk kinda borked his qualifying lap...) to grab a great 4th place on the grid. A great start saw him run 2nd, and attack Lewis, but the lack of downforce in the car showed come Les Combes. He still finished 5th, which is a great result, and now he's ahead of Hulk in the driver standings. Hulk had some bad luck, having loss of power, and couldn't even start the race. Shame, both Force India's could've scored points today.

Lotus we're the surprise package of today though. They had some very good qualifying pace (both cars on Q3, Grosjean P4 on the grid before penalty), but we didn't expect them to do so good come race day. Or, sadly, at least one of them. Pastor's bad luck continues, as once again, his car dies. To make it even more unlucky, today the car was a bullet. Hopefully Pastor's bad luck will end at Monza, where we expect the car to be even more bullet, where the lack of downforce of the chassis won't be clearly shown. Romain, though, a great race from him. 9th on the grid to his first podium since 2012, and one his best drivers so far on his career in F1. Bloody impressive, as Lotus become the first team besides the top 4 to score a podium this year. And they're into 5th in the constructors as well. Hopefully they'll be on the grid for Monza.

Toro Rosso again with mixed feelings. Verstappen once again made a great race, climbing into the points, and showing again great talent and prowess on overtaking (his move around the outside on Blanchimont and then finishing it into the Bus Stop, bloody hell). Shame though, Sainz continues to have bad luck, as he get's his 4th consecutive retirement. It's a shame really, since Sainz has been showing some great pace, as good or even better than Max, but he can't get the lucky to grab the top results.

Sauber had a circuit which suited them, with power. But the car has no downforce, and it showed when Nasr was eliminated in Q1. Ericsson did a great race, to score points, and Nasr finished 11th. While the car had barelly been developed since Australia, they've fallen way behind after 5th and 8th in Melbourne. They better wait for Monza, which should be the race where they should do better. Even though 8th place in the constructor standings is assured, since I hardly doubt McLaren will be able to score plenty of points till the end of the year.

McLaren... Well, do JB and Alonso have pacience? Most probably, a bit of it still. Honda claimed they would match Ferrari, and werent' even close. Then McLaren claimed they we're still 130HP down on Mercedes. Contradictory opinions are contradictory... Both drivers tried their best, gather data, and they probably did it, but the lack of straightline speed showed when the Sauber's passed them easilly. But then, according to the lap chart, Alonso did the *5th* fastest lap of the race. I wonder if they the engine at full power during one or two laps to test it. One can be hopefull of that.

Manor did again what they need to do. Drive on track to try and see if chaos happens and if they can snatch a point. Another 15th for the team, with once again Mehri beating Stevens. They're tanking this year, but, well, at least, if they we're running 2015 spec Ferrari engines, how far away would they be from McLaren?

Enforcer
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Enforcer »

East Londoner wrote:I wish the FIA would get rid of some of this over-regulation. I'd love to see teams using different compounds of tyres on each side, or even each corner of the car. It also makes non-stopping a possibility.

But oh no, that's far too interesting for F1. Gotta have that rigid set of rules.

My god, Pastor's luck is tragic. The Lotus is a legit rocketship this afternoon, and it breaks down on him on Lap 2. :( :( :(

People probably said "tire changes add to the interest and excitement" in a survey once and they just took that at face value without looking at why tire changes add to interest and excitement.
good_Ralf

Post by good_Ralf »

During the race I recorded the race and my live reactions to it on my phone, and I have now posted it on YouTube if you're interested..

Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ba0jn5sGN9Y
Check out the position of the sun on 2 August at 20:08 in my garden

Allard Kalff in 1994 wrote:OH!! Schumacher in the wall! Right in front of us, Michael Schumacher is in the wall! He's hit the pitwall, he c... Ah, it's Jos Verstappen.
SuzukiSwift

Post by SuzukiSwift »

Honda is very,very bad but I hope they don't withdraw.
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

Just caught the race earlier and I have to say it wasn't bad at all. Lots of different battles up and down the field and some different strategy calls which mixed things up nicely.

Great to see the Lotus run so well, Romain had some real pace today, it would be nice to see it carry through to Monza as well. Likewise with Force India. Would have been great to see Perez take the lead at Les Combes on lap 1!

McLaren predictably no-where, I also thought Williams were very poor. More pitstop errors and their stops seem consistently slower than other teams as well. Go back to 1994/95 and tell me what's changed in 20 bloody years!

Ferrari dropped the ball this weekend. Big opportunities to score decent points lost thanks to Kimi's gearbox, then his poor start and lacklustre race, and of course Vettel's tyre failure. He'd had a good race until that point though.
I want my MTV...Simtek Ford

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_