2015 Bahrain Grand Prix thread

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
Paul Hayes

Re: 2015 Bahrain Grand Prix thread

Post by Paul Hayes »

Looks like the two Manors are having a nice ding-dong at the back there!
AdrianBelmonte_

Post by AdrianBelmonte_ »

#FoxesFansHooligans

#HaasShouldBeSoLucky
Paul Hayes

Post by Paul Hayes »

Button is commentating on his Twitter feed, which is quite fun. Tipping Raikkonen as the one to watch.
Paul Hayes

Post by Paul Hayes »

Interesting that Mercedes managed to undercut themselves. I think Hamilton looks as if he's going to pull away again though.
sswishbone

Post by sswishbone »

Gotta say Rosberg has looked good in to turn one, been nice and aggressive
"Hispania are a waste of talent and petrol!" Martin Brundle, Australia Qualifying 2011

Live streams and podcasts from yours truly at http://www.youtube.com/user/sswishbone
sswishbone

Post by sswishbone »

Nasr does Massa!
"Hispania are a waste of talent and petrol!" Martin Brundle, Australia Qualifying 2011

Live streams and podcasts from yours truly at http://www.youtube.com/user/sswishbone
Paul Hayes

Post by Paul Hayes »

Vettel seems a bit out of sorts in this race.
UncreativeUsername37

Post by UncreativeUsername37 »

Vettel pits for a new wing.
Rob Dylan wrote:Mercedes paying homage to the other W12 chassis by breaking down 30 minutes in
GerhardTalger

Post by GerhardTalger »

Toro Rosso on their usual form again.

Massa is also not very good today.
sswishbone

Post by sswishbone »

Vettel has gone messed it up!!

Alonso passes Raikonnen :D
Last edited by sswishbone on 19 Apr 2015, 16:10, edited 1 time in total.

good_Ralf

Post by good_Ralf »

Looks like that depressing podium-lock-out streak record won't be broken after all! Finally Raikkonen gets the upper hand and some of the better luck.
Check out the position of the sun on 2 August at 20:08 in my garden

Allard Kalff in 1994 wrote:OH!! Schumacher in the wall! Right in front of us, Michael Schumacher is in the wall! He's hit the pitwall, he c... Ah, it's Jos Verstappen.
Bobby Doorknobs

Post by Bobby Doorknobs »

Bad night for the Reverend.
#FreeGonzo
Paul Hayes

Post by Paul Hayes »

Sadly, I think there's a lot of false drama being talked-up on the commentary - Raikkonen has no chance of catching the Mercedes, alas.

I'd love to be proved wrong, of course!
sswishbone

Post by sswishbone »

The commentators are trying to keep a rather dull race interesting to be fair!

Fail from Rosberg!

tanel

Post by tanel »

And Kimi is at P2!
Paul Hayes

Post by Paul Hayes »

If only that problem had occurred for Hamilton one lap earlier!
UncreativeUsername37

I woke up at 06:00 for this?
Rob Dylan wrote:Mercedes paying homage to the other W12 chassis by breaking down 30 minutes in
UncreativeUsername37

Ricciardo's engine blowing up just far enough for him to roll to the line
sswishbone

Post by sswishbone »

Dear oh dear Ricciardo engine blow out!!!

good_Ralf

Post by good_Ralf »

UgncreativeUsergname wrote:Ricciardo's engine blowing up just far enough for him to roll to the line

His Renault did a Button.
Check out the position of the sun on 2 August at 20:08 in my garden

Allard Kalff in 1994 wrote:OH!! Schumacher in the wall! Right in front of us, Michael Schumacher is in the wall! He's hit the pitwall, he c... Ah, it's Jos Verstappen.
Bobby Doorknobs

sswishbone wrote:The commentators are trying to keep a rather dull race interesting to be fair!

Fail from Rosberg!

UgncreativeUsergname wrote:I woke up at 06:00 for this?

Well, I enjoyed the race.
#FreeGonzo
Spectoremg

Post by Spectoremg »

Hamilton - brake by wire snag on the last lap and weaving - nothing like a teeny drama to big up an easy win.
Spectoremg

Post by Spectoremg »

Gangsta Hamilton to Sir Jackie Stewart 'how ya doin' man?' So eloquent.
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

Don't care what anyone says; race was great. Awesome backdrop, great racing, interesting strategies and tactics...what more could you possibly want? A huge inflatable elephant to fly over the stands? Toto Wolff to paint himself in tuna paste and run down the pitlane in a jockstrap? Bernie Ecclestone to ask the FIA to splice in a graphic of his daughters wearing bacon dresses on the start-finish line?

...okay, that last one works, but come on now. Some people moan about F1 so much, it's like they don't even really like the sport that much.
Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
mario

Post by mario »

Spectoremg wrote:Hamilton - brake by wire snag on the last lap and weaving - nothing like a teeny drama to big up an easy win.

It could be that Hamilton was doing that to try and improve the airflow through the brakes by weaving about - he said that the brake by wire system had overheated whilst running behind the backmarkers. It looks like Rosberg might have also had the same issue with his car too, which seems to explain why he overshot the first corner and lost the place to Kimi.

UgncreativeUsergname wrote:Ricciardo's engine blowing up just far enough for him to roll to the line

Well, whilst he did at least manage to make it over the line and secure 6th place, that was a pretty spectacular failure. Renault were worried about the possibilities of more engine failures, and it looks like a repeat of that piston problem they had in China that blew Verstappen's engine apart.
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
Shizuka

Post by Shizuka »

Poor Kimi. :P

Code: Select all

14:03   RaikkonenPlsCare   There's some water in water
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

Feel sorry for Rosberg not really getting any reward for the decent race he put in today. Then again it's 3rd at the end of the day.

Raikkonen deadpan on the podium saying "well obviously you're never happy when you finish 2nd". Oh dear Kimi, you make me chuckle sometimes.

I wonder how many engines people like Ricciardo even have for the rest of the year? Red Bull's weekend had a pretty OK result by this year's standard, but all through the weekend they've had problems with their drivers and car parts generally. They've only just taken 4th in the constructors, and now that Lotus is getting their act together, Red Bull may not even be safe in that position for long!
Murray Walker at the 1997 Austrian Grand Prix wrote:The other [Stewart] driver, who nobody's been paying attention to, because he's disappointing, is Jan Magnussen.
Felipe Nasr - the least forgettable F1 driver!
Aguaman

Post by Aguaman »

Rosberg has finished every single race of the season in the position he qualified.
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

First race I've seen this year and I must say that I enjoyed it. It was a pretty good race. My only grudge comes from the sparks. They seem to have been made on purpose. Maybe that is because I know they are.

Finally, even in second, Rosberg looks completely broken. He is not even as close to Hamilton as he was last year ...
Colin Kolles on F111, 2011 HRT challenger: The car doesn't look too bad; it looks like a modern F1 car.
Bobby Doorknobs

Ataxia wrote:Don't care what anyone says; race was great. Awesome backdrop, great racing, interesting strategies and tactics...what more could you possibly want? A huge inflatable elephant to fly over the stands? Toto Wolff to paint himself in tuna paste and run down the pitlane in a jockstrap? Bernie Ecclestone to ask the FIA to splice in a graphic of his daughters wearing bacon dresses on the start-finish line?

...okay, that last one works, but come on now. Some people moan about F1 so much, it's like they don't even really like the sport that much.

Thank you, Ataxia :)
#FreeGonzo
mario

Post by mario »

Rob Dylan wrote:Feel sorry for Rosberg not really getting any reward for the decent race he put in today. Then again it's 3rd at the end of the day.

Raikkonen deadpan on the podium saying "well obviously you're never happy when you finish 2nd". Oh dear Kimi, you make me chuckle sometimes.

I wonder how many engines people like Ricciardo even have for the rest of the year? Red Bull's weekend had a pretty OK result by this year's standard, but all through the weekend they've had problems with their drivers and car parts generally. They've only just taken 4th in the constructors, and now that Lotus is getting their act together, Red Bull may not even be safe in that position for long!

I think that Ricciardo will be onto his fourth engine in Barcelona - I believe that he had to change one engine in Melbourne after encountering issues during the practise sessions, had to use another engine in Malaysia and, as Renault had feared, he's had another terminal engine failure here. They might be able to salvage the electrical systems, but those won't be much good if the pistons are disintegrating first...
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
tommykl

Post by tommykl »

Ataxia wrote:Don't care what anyone says; race was great. Awesome backdrop, great racing, interesting strategies and tactics...what more could you possibly want? A huge inflatable elephant to fly over the stands? Toto Wolff to paint himself in tuna paste and run down the pitlane in a jockstrap? Bernie Ecclestone to ask the FIA to splice in a graphic of his daughters wearing bacon dresses on the start-finish line?

To be fair, even Monaco '82 would be improved by all these things.
kevinbotz wrote:Cantonese is a completely nonsensical f*cking alien language masquerading as some grossly bastardised form of Chinese

Gonzo wrote:Wasn't there some sort of communisim in the East part of Germany?
Fetzie

Post by Fetzie »

RIcciardo is on his 4th (i.e. last) engine of the season when he goes out for Practice 1 in Barcelona. Which is the 5th race of the season. They're going to have to invent negative season points for Renault engine cars or paint in extra rows for the starting grid that go back to 50th place by the time Abu Dhabi comes around if the penalties for engine changes escalate (which I believe they do).
UncreativeUsername37

I don't need an overtake-a-lap overtakingfest, and I did like the strategy, but... strategy battles inherently leave most of the race with nothing, and if it becomes obvious who's going to win too soon, then you've ended up with a race where nothing happened.
Miguel98

Post by Miguel98 »

The race was a good race. It was so much better after the snooze-fest it was Shaghai last time. Much better.
Mario on Gutierrez after the Italian Grand Prix wrote:He's no longer just a bit of a tool, he's the entire tool set.

18-07-2015: Forever in our hearts Jules.
25-08-2015: Forever in our hearts Justin.
Fetzie

Post by Fetzie »

UgncreativeUsergname wrote:

I don't need an overtake-a-lap overtakingfest, and I did like the strategy, but... strategy battles inherently leave most of the race with nothing, and if it becomes obvious who's going to win too soon, then you've ended up with a race where nothing happened.

There were a couple of good fights for position down the field (6-13), but other than Rosberg passing Raikönnen and Vettel early on, Raikönnen exploiting Rosberg's almost-brake failure and Hamilton's pass on Raikönnen pretty much all of the passing in the top 5 was done via the pit-lane speed limit. One of the BBC commentators summed it up rather well: the most important parts of an event where you have to drive really fast are when the cars are completely stationary. That rankles a bit.
Spectoremg

Post by Spectoremg »

Fetzie wrote:
UgncreativeUsergname wrote:

There were a couple of good fights for position down the field (6-13), but other than Rosberg passing Raikönnen and Vettel early on, Raikönnen exploiting Rosberg's almost-brake failure and Hamilton's pass on Raikönnen pretty much all of the passing in the top 5 was done via the pit-lane speed limit. One of the BBC commentators summed it up rather well: the most important parts of an event where you have to drive really fast are when the cars are completely stationary. That rankles a bit.
I agree... I think ;)
AustralianStig

Post by AustralianStig »

Does anyone else think Mercedes 'sacrificed' Rosberg in the last round of pitstops when they allowed Hamilton to pit first and get the undercut? Obviously they were so worried about losing the victory to Ferrari that they were willing to risk losing 2nd place, which is what ultimately happened.
Join the GP Rejects league at Fantasy F1: https://fantasy.formula1.com/join/?=2a1f25

CoopsII wrote:
Biscione wrote:To the surprise of no-one, Daniil Kvyat wins ROTR for Sochi, by a record margin that may not be surpassed for some time.

I always knew Marko read this forum.
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

Yup, another good race. Personally, Im finding the races this season reminiscent of some races in the 90s. Only a couple of guys in with a chance of actually winning but plenty going on elsewhere. Oh, and lots of whingeing and hand-wringing from elsewhere about "the state of the sport".
Just For One Day...
girry

Post by girry »

The silver car is the one with bad team spirit and Lewis involved, the red car is the one with good team spirit and Kimi involved (but perhaps playing the Massa role this time by), and the white cars are some way behind those two but ahead of the rest. Red Bull and Toro Rosso are easy to confuse because their on track pace is more or less equal.

...it more reminds me of the 2007 season, to be honest. Just that this year's Super Aguris are black/silver.
when you're dead people start listening