The Jacques Villeneuve Music Thread

The place for anything and everything else to do with F1 history, different forms of motorsport, and all other randomness
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: The Jacques Villeneuve Music Thread

Post by FullMetalJack »

Since i'm appreciating britpop today. I went with a variety, Oasis, Blur, The Verve, Supergrass, Ocean Colour Scene etc.

Although it's mostly been The Charlatans for me today.
I like the way Snrub thinks!
Yannick

Post by Yannick »

The thread title is making me curious about what Jacques Villeneuve's music actually sounds like. I remember a soft ballad being played on the F1Rejects podcast. Has he put out any other type of music?

I guess I could talk about what I listen to and not stop since I'm registered on several music forums, so before I start, I'd better have enough time for it. Maybe at some time in the fall, I can find a time slot for that on my schedule, maybe even only during the offseason ;-)
"I don't think we should be used to finance (the manufacturers') R&D because they will produce that engine anyway" said Monisha Kaltenborn.
"You will never see a Mercedes using a Ferrari engine or the other way round."
dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

Looking at one of the other threads, I saw I'd made 1348 posts. Hence, this post is number 1349.

Have a present.

I also managed to spend £13.49 at Tesco's the other day.
James Allen, on his favourite F1 engine of all time:
"...the Life W12, I can't describe the noise to you, but imagine filling your dustbin with nuts and bolts, and then throwing it down the stairs, it was something akin to that!"
Nuppiz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nuppiz »

redbulljack14 wrote:
Nuppiz wrote:Well, not listening to anything at the moment, but earlier today I was listening my mp3 player for some Judas Priest, Saxon, Scorpions, Accept, Railway, Deep Purple and Uriah Heep. So I believe most of you can figure out my favorite style of music based on that list.

In fact, I might use some songs from my extensive Judas Priest bootleg collection (that's what I was doing in 2011 when I wasn't around here!) as background music for any RoLFS videos I'll make next season.

I could have guessed your favourite style of music from the fact that you're Finnish.

Yeah, I have pretty much the stereotypical Finnish music taste. With the exception that I enjoy the more traditional stuff and NWOBHM, and don't find that thrash/death/black/whatever metal most other Finnish metalheads enjoy interesting.

I was aware of dinizintheoven's other escapades outside F1Rejects when I paid a visit to rickdangerous.co.uk after noticing it contained links to my bootleg site. Turns out it was the backups of F1RMGP threads where I had posted a couple of times, and because my bootleg site is also set as my homesite here, the links got copied to the backups. Anyway, through there I found out that he also had a metal website of his own and generally has similar music tastes as I do.

dinizintheoven wrote:
Some Publication wrote:REVEALED! The truth Marktin Brundell's captured-by-pirates "holidays" from the F1RMGP circus, in two parts!

It's true. I do have a life outside the forums. This is why.

Nuppiz will be more interested what I've written than anyone else, I suspect. Especially as the second part contains Saxon. By the way, if you're using Judas Priest for the RoLFS soundtracks, I suggest Freewheel Burning, and not to be tempted by anything from Turbo...

Crusader isn't one of my favorite Saxon albums either, although it's still far better than anything found on Destiny! Not that it would require much...

But but... I was going to use the 12" Hi-Octane Mix of Turbo Lover in one of the videos, honest! Anyway, Freewheel Burning is still guaranteed to make an appearance, most likely as one of the many bootleg versions I have of it. And who knows, maybe I'll still put Turbo Lover in, although it'll be the more rockier version performed on the Painkiller tour.
Eurosport broadcast for the 1990 Mexican GP prequalifying:
"The Life, it looked very lifeless yet again... in fact Bruno did one, slow lap"
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

Novitopoli wrote:Everytime someone orders at Pizza Hut, an Italian dies.
Novitopoli wrote:Juve's Triplete: Calciopoli, doping & Mafia connections.

Image Image
FMecha

Post by FMecha »

Speaking of which Nuppiz, anyone playing (the US version of) Gran Turismo 4 should be able to recognize Freewheel Burning. IMO the song is very apporipate when racing in Motegi's super speedway or the Test Course. :)
PSN ID: FMecha_EXE | FMecha on GT Sport
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

I'm about half an hour away from recieving my AS-level results, and I'm getting rather nervous. To keep my spirits up, I've been listening to a lot of feel-ggod music this morning. And you can't get much more feel-good than Kasabian. ;)
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

East Londoner wrote:I'm about half an hour away from recieving my AS-level results, and I'm getting rather nervous. To keep my spirits up, I've been listening to a lot of feel-ggod music this morning. And you can't get much more feel-good than Kasabian. ;)

I know what you're going through. I was in your boat a couple of years ago.

Hope it all turned out well for anyone doing A-Levels.
Nuppiz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nuppiz »

FMecha wrote:Speaking of which Nuppiz, anyone playing (the US version of) Gran Turismo 4 should be able to recognize Freewheel Burning. IMO the song is very apporipate when racing in Motegi's super speedway or the Test Course. :)

It is in the European version as well. And one of the few songs in the game which is good enough for my taste that I've included in the in-race playlist (along with Van Halen's Panama and Joe Satriani's Summer Song). I personally found most of the game's music too... modern (although Moon Over the Castle is pretty good as well).
"The Life, it looked very lifeless yet again... in fact Bruno did one, slow lap"
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

redbulljack14 wrote:
East Londoner wrote:I'm about half an hour away from recieving my AS-level results, and I'm getting rather nervous. To keep my spirits up, I've been listening to a lot of feel-ggod music this morning. And you can't get much more feel-good than Kasabian. ;)

I know what you're going through. I was in your boat a couple of years ago.

Hope it all turned out well for anyone doing A-Levels.

It actually went very well. A in English, B in Politics (how that was even possible considering how shite the second exam was I'll never know :shock: ), D in Maths (5 marks off a C :x ) and D in Economics. Which means I never have to study Economics again, as I'm taking the other three subjects onto A2. :D
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
F1000X

Post by F1000X »

I work as a private events DJ, so my taste, which is probably terrible by most people's standards, has me listening to this stuff of late. If you don't like to dance, don't bother listening to any of them.
Diplo - Express Yourself feat. Nicky Da B
Long Jawns & Billy The Gent - Holler
Justice - New Lands (A-Trak Remix)
Cinnamon Chasers - Have I Said Something
Grum - Take Me To The Stars
Dream - Go Hard (Crizzly Remix)
Kaskade & Skrillex - Lick It
Kool & the Gang - Jungle Boogie (Kovary nu jump up booty)

Pointrox, since you like Tesla Boy, you should take a listen to everything on the Rosso Corsa label, if you aren't already. MN1984 are my personal favorite. Lifelike, Grum, and Anoraak (not on Rosso Corsa) are also great.
"Sebastian Bourdais- he once was a champ, but now he's a chump." -Will Power
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

Tiësto & Wolfgang Gartner // We Own The Night ft. Luciana (because not everything mainstream is bad. Find some quality on ear headphones (or a very loud nightclub) and this song will blow your mind.

Image Image
DalekSam

Post by DalekSam »

Been watching Initial D, so naturally, I've been listening to eurobeat lately.

And it all started because of MULTI TRACK DRIFTING.
Aerospeed

Post by Aerospeed »

If anyone needs to listen to a good album, Absolution by Muse should do the trick. :D
Mistakes in potatoes will ALWAYS happen :P
Trulli bad puns...
IN JAIL NO ONE CAN HEAR YOU SCREAM
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

JeremyMcClean wrote:If anyone needs to listen to a good album, Absolution by Muse should do the trick. :D

When Muse were geniunely brilliant. What the hell happened to them over the last two years? First there was Neutron Star Collision, then there was the pile of trash that was their Olympics song, and now they've gone 'dubstep'. :cry:
pasta_maldonado
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by pasta_maldonado »

East Londoner wrote:and now they've gone 'dubstep'. :cry:

I really hate dybstep. It just really gets on my nerves, especially that 'Skrillex' shite. There's nothing wrong with dance/techno/house* music but that is just shite.
Klon wrote:more liek Nick Ass-idy amirite?
Aerospeed

Post by Aerospeed »

East Londoner wrote:
JeremyMcClean wrote:If anyone needs to listen to a good album, Absolution by Muse should do the trick. :D

When Muse were geniunely brilliant. What the hell happened to them over the last two years? First there was Neutron Star Collision, then there was the pile of trash that was their Olympics song, and now they've gone 'dubstep'. :cry:

I admit, their olympics song wasn't too good...
Mistakes in potatoes will ALWAYS happen :P
Trulli bad puns...
IN JAIL NO ONE CAN HEAR YOU SCREAM
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

pasta_maldonado wrote:

I really hate dybstep. It just really gets on my nerves, especially that 'Skrillex' shite. There's nothing wrong with dance/techno/house* music but that is just shite.

Same. I love quite a bit of electronic/techno/dance music, like the Prodigy, Chemical Brothers, Fatboy Slim, Pendulum, Underworld, plus electronic bands like New Order and Depeche Mode. Can't stand dubstep though.
pasta_maldonado
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by pasta_maldonado »

East Londoner wrote:
pasta_maldonado wrote:

Same. I love quite a bit of electronic/techno/dance music, like the Prodigy, Chemical Brothers, Fatboy Slim, Pendulum, Underworld, plus electronic bands like New Order and Depeche Mode. Can't stand dubstep though.

80's synthpop's where it's at :)
Klon wrote:more liek Nick Ass-idy amirite?
Myrvold

Post by Myrvold »

Yannick wrote:The thread title is making me curious about what Jacques Villeneuve's music actually sounds like. I remember a soft ballad being played on the F1Rejects podcast. Has he put out any other type of music?

Just checked, I've listened to JV-sing a total of 99 times O.o

Though, for me, Straalen McCallum and Jack Vidgen is on top I see.

http://www.last.fm/user/myrmyra/charts? ... pe=artists
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

East Londoner wrote:
pasta_maldonado wrote:

I dont like Dubstep, I had to tolerate it once as Modestep supported Lostprophets when I went to see them.

Can't stand the fact that Muse have become dubstep influenced.
Last edited by FullMetalJack on 20 Aug 2012, 21:03, edited 1 time in total.
Phoenix

Post by Phoenix »

Did anyone mention Pendulum? This my personal Official Party/Motivation Song :D
RonDenisDeletraz

Post by RonDenisDeletraz »

Phoenix wrote:Did anyone mention Pendulum? This my personal Official Party/Motivation Song :D

Pendulum FTW, up until a couple of weeks ago I thought I was the only one here who had heard of them. Anyway, I have listened to them since 2010.
aerond wrote:Yes RDD, but we always knew you never had any sort of taste either :P

tommykl wrote:I have a shite car and meme sponsors, but Corrado Fabi will carry me to the promised land with the power of Lionel Richie.
RealRacingRoots

Post by RealRacingRoots »

eurobrun wrote:
Phoenix wrote:Did anyone mention Pendulum? This my personal Official Party/Motivation Song :D

Pendulum FTW, up until a couple of weeks ago I thought I was the only one here who had heard of them. Anyway, I have listened to them since 2010.

I first heard of Pendulum back in 2008 when Propane Nightmares was used in F1's race review for the Belgian Grand Prix, and I've listened to them ever since.
The Truth Shall set you free. (no theme music plays)
Tomáš.......Ttaaaaaaaattaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
Watch this if you want to learn about what Canada is really like.
GT Super Series
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

eurobrun wrote:

I thought everyone had heard of Pendulum?! Ironically when they became popular they also became mediocre. Hold Your Colour was probably the second best album of all time (behind The Joshua Tree ofc), there wasn't a single bad song in it. But then they followed that up with the generic turd of In Silico. Their pre-HYC stuff was also really good, look up Masochist and Voyager.

I don't know which Pendulum song Phoenix linked to (YT blocked on the PC I'm currently using), but I sure hope it's Hold Your Colour...or Watercolour, Immersion was an improvement on In Silico but still nowhere close to HYC.

Image Image
RonDenisDeletraz

Post by RonDenisDeletraz »

kostas22 wrote:
eurobrun wrote:

I thought everyone had heard of Pendulum?! Ironically when they became popular they also became mediocre. Hold Your Colour was probably the second best album of all time (behind The Joshua Tree ofc), there wasn't a single bad song in it. But then they followed that up with the generic turd of In Silico. Their pre-HYC stuff was also really good, look up Masochist and Voyager.

I don't know which Pendulum song Phoenix linked to (YT blocked on the PC I'm currently using), but I sure hope it's Hold Your Colour...or Watercolour, Immersion was an improvement on In Silico but still nowhere close to HYC.

I agree to an extent, In Silico was their weakest album. I actually quite liked Immersion.
aerond wrote:Yes RDD, but we always knew you never had any sort of taste either :P

tommykl wrote:I have a shite car and meme sponsors, but Corrado Fabi will carry me to the promised land with the power of Lionel Richie.
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

Muse have just released yet another pile of rubbish from their new album. It's called 'Madness'. I want the Muse from Origin of Symmetry, Black Holes And Revolutions and Absolution back. Even most of The Resistance was better than this. Sod their new album. :cry:

Of course, I wonder if Madness will now release a new single titled 'Muse'? :mrgreen: I'll get my coat...
Phoenix

Post by Phoenix »

kostas22 wrote:
eurobrun wrote:

Well... it was The Vulture, actually. But the first song I've ever heard of Pendulum was Hold Your Colur, actually, and I loved that too at first sight ;) In Silico I agree that it was a tad underwhelming compared to the others, but I like Inmersion.
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

Phoenix wrote:
kostas22 wrote:

Ironically when they became popular they also became mediocre. Hold Your Colour was probably the second best album of all time (behind The Joshua Tree ofc), there wasn't a single bad song in it. But then they followed that up with the generic turd of In Silico. Their pre-HYC stuff was also really good, look up Masochist and Voyager.

Well... it was The Vulture, actually. But the first song I've ever heard of Pendulum was Hold Your Colur, actually, and I loved that too at first sight ;) In Silico I agree that it was a tad underwhelming compared to the others, but I like Inmersion.

I still think this is the better Party/Motivation song by Pendulum :D

Image Image
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

Immersion was crap in my opinion. They knew they'd blown it with In Silico, tried to go back to what they did before and failed. Having said that In Silico had some decent tracks on it, I personally think The Tempest is one of their best tracks. But yeah, can't beat Hold Your Colour.

Also, I don't understand all the hate for dubstep. Maybe people are just listening to it with crap speakers with no bass? Get drunk, get to a club, get some dubstep on, and enjoy the drops. F***in epic.

Similarly, I'm not sure why people are feeling Muse are going downhill? I liken them to Queen in a sense. Quite experimental, and not really sticking to a single genre. It's a well-known fact that prior to Live Aid, Queen had received a fair bit of abuse from both fans and journalists for the direction they were taking, leaving their previous heavier, rock sound behind. And look at the legacy they have now. I'm looking forward to seeing what sort of stuff comes out of Muse's new album. Just listened to Madness, and it's very good. I honestly can't see why people whinge about it all.

Another release I'm looking forward to is the new one from The Killers. Spent my teenage years growing up with them, and I really hope they can put out another top album, because all three studio releases have been excellent.

My main focus of my music tastes is mostly AOR, the sort of pop-rock/metal that made a name for itself in the late 80s, so bands like Def Leppard, Warrant, Winger, Poison, etc. It's started to get a bit more popular again now, with a strong focus in Scandinavia like Reckless Love (Finland), H.e.a.t (Sweden), and Miss Behaviour (also Sweden) to name a few.

My all-time favourite song is probably She Never Looked That Good For Me by Autograph. Such an under-rated band that never got a decent chance like many of their contemporaries did, and consequently despite some excellent songs are very rarely mentioned anywhere which is a real shame.
I want my MTV...Simtek Ford

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

AndreaModa wrote:Also, I don't understand all the hate for dubstep. Maybe people are just listening to it with crap speakers with no bass? Get drunk, get to a club, get some dubstep on, and enjoy the drops. F***in epic.

Still no. Although, better than hearing Rihanna in a club, which is bordering on farcical really.

Needs more stuff like this;
Tiësto // Maximal Crazy
Swedish House Mafia // Greyhound
Bingo Players // L'Amour (Original Mix)
Tiësto & Showtek // HELL YEAH
Orlando Voorn // Paco Di Bango's World (Deadmau5 Remix)
Avicii // Sweet Dreams (Gregori Klosman Remix)
And, I know I posted it once already, but tbfh in this context it needs posted again...Tiësto & Wolfgang Gartner // We Own The Night (ft. Luciana)

Image Image
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

AndreaModa wrote:Immersion was crap in my opinion. They knew they'd blown it with In Silico, tried to go back to what they did before and failed. Having said that In Silico had some decent tracks on it, I personally think The Tempest is one of their best tracks. But yeah, can't beat Hold Your Colour.

Hold Your Colour probably was their best album. The Terminal being my favourite track on that album.

For those of you who have never heard The Terminal, listen to this, and thank me later.
Nuppiz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nuppiz »

AndreaModa wrote:My main focus of my music tastes is mostly AOR, the sort of pop-rock/metal that made a name for itself in the late 80s, so bands like Def Leppard, Warrant, Winger, Poison, etc. It's started to get a bit more popular again now, with a strong focus in Scandinavia like Reckless Love (Finland), H.e.a.t (Sweden), and Miss Behaviour (also Sweden) to name a few.

My all-time favourite song is probably She Never Looked That Good For Me by Autograph. Such an under-rated band that never got a decent chance like many of their contemporaries did, and consequently despite some excellent songs are very rarely mentioned anywhere which is a real shame.

I usually associate bands like Journey, Foreigner, Kansas, Toto etc. to be AOR. I'd say those bands you listed are more like glam metal; they have a harder sound, but unlike "true" metal/hard rock bands they generally have a feel-good tune and lots of pop hooks in their songs. Oh and especially in the 80s they had weird hairdos! :lol:

However, unlike most other metalheads I don't hate glam metal. No, I actually like to listen to it every now and then, it's a great tip back to the 80s (even though I was born in 1991!). Sure, they might not be the most artistic songs there are, but they're still great when you need to relax and try to cheer up a bit. And that Autograph song you linked actually made me look how much their CDs cost, but they're apparantely so rare that they cost a small fortune! :roll: So it won't be too soon that I'll be buying those with what my current monetary situation is...

You should check out the Turbo album by Judas Priest - it was their attempt at making a glam metal album, however it backfired and their reputation never really recovered after that. However, the music itself is still pretty good.
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

Yeah, the AOR tag was a terrible attempt at a 'catch all' description, but you're right, it's more associated with the softer stuff. I love a lot of Toto's stuff, and went to see them live last year at Hammersmith which was brilliant, but by and large the glam/hair/cock/pop metal whatever you want to call it is mainly my scene!

You're right about the Autograph albums, it's a real pity. Loud and Clear was re-released in 2006, that's the copy I have and personally I like that album best, and it was their last one as a group. I also have Sign In Please, their debut, which has some killer songs on as well. Have a search for Thrill of Love and the solo on that, simply superb stuff.
I want my MTV...Simtek Ford

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

I spent yesterday ( :P ) blasting out tracks by The View. If I'm not in 1994/1995/1996, you can usually find me in 2005/2006/2007 musically. :P

Bathplug me, the mid-2000s was a great time for indie rock. All gone now thanks to musical snobs. :(
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

I listened to this over 10 times today...

VERY creative, I think...
Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

Image Image
Phoenix

Post by Phoenix »

As much as I like The Prodigy, I'm embarrassed to say I had only listened the last of those songs previously :oops:
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

Phoenix wrote:

As much as I like The Prodigy, I'm embarrassed to say I had only listened the last of those songs previously :oops:

That is pretty much four different "generations" of The Prodigy. Each album has a totally different sound from the previous. Unlike Pendulum, who were never quite sure what each album following Hold Your Colour was supposed to be, these guys had a very obvious style in each album they produced. For example, Experience is TOTALLY different to anything they did afterwards. With Always Outnumbered Never Outgunned they were edging a bit more towards mainstream, but it certainly wasn't bad. But if you compare, lets say, Hot Ride (from AONO) to Charly (from Experience), the former would get a reasonable amount of radio airplay while Charly would have got very little.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, if you haven't heard some of those songs because you haven't heard the albums they are from either, it's understandable.

Image Image
takagi_for_the_win

Post by takagi_for_the_win »

YouTube actually blocked that first vid from me because I'm under 18 :D so I'd say its Smack My Bitch Up.
TORA! TORA! TORA!