The HRT thread

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: The HRT thread

Post by DanielPT »

Waris wrote:Instead, we should make a few of the current races non-championship, so we have 16 championship rounds and 4 non-championship races. That would be great!

Non-championship races would nothing more than glorified testing sessions, with people sandbagging all over the place and small outfits trying to shine in order to capture those prized sponsors that are left (hey, that is not a bad point! :) ). Except that no one outside F1 world would really care. And I am affraid that the money spent in shipping everything to the race tracks would not be covered by supposed revenues, meaning a huge budget hole for everyone.
Colin Kolles on F111, 2011 HRT challenger: The car doesn't look too bad; it looks like a modern F1 car.
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

You know what I think it would, make ticket prices low, and there'd be loads of places that would take an F1 race, or an extra one to their existing championship one. One in the UK would definately sell at reduced prices, and I bet others like Italy and Germany would do well too. The Japanese would love an extra race I'm sure. It could easily be done, but there's no will there to do it so it won't :(
I want my MTV...Simtek Ford

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
Faustus
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Faustus »

Non-championship races have been mentioned loads of times in the last 20 years and it could be done, but ultimately would there be any money in it? Where would the revenue for the race promoter, the organiser and the teams come from? Not from ticket sales, that's for sure, so there would have to be an extremely generous sponsor that would pick up the bill for the whole thing with the likelihood of losing money. The costs would be obscene.
A winter championship would always suffer from not being the real Formula 1 championship and would always be viewed as a 2nd-rate event. It might get decent television ratings, but it wouldn't be the Formula 1 championship.
Following Formula 1 since 1984.
Avid collector of Formula 1 season guides and reviews.
Collector of reject merchandise and 1/43rd scale reject model cars.
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

dr-baker wrote:
Waris wrote:Instead, we should make a few of the current races non-championship, so we have 16 championship rounds and 4 non-championship races. That would be great!

Maybe no new countries/tracks could have a GP until they have held a non-championship F1 race. It would avoid the embarrassment Korea must have felt in the lead-up to their debut race last year!

Or else we could have a minor-state Winter series. For example:

0. Andorran GP at Pau or Barcelona
1. San Marino GP at Imola
2. Luxembourg GP at the Nurburgring
3. Channel Islands (Jersey/Guernsey) GP at Brands Hatch
4. Manx GP either on the streets of Douglas or perhaps Anglesey, Wales (or perhaps Silverstone/Rockingham)*
5. Monaco GP as a sister event to the Monte Carlo Rally in January
6. A Swiss hillclimbing event to represent Liechtenstein (hillclimbing remained legal in Switzerland, didn't it?)

* Yes I know I am obsessed with this idea, but only in the same way as Jamie and Enoch are with Vanuatu. And the Manx have an established motorsport scene already...

Just wanted to add to my crazy, unrealitic list. Or maybe it's the new A10 WS calendar?
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
MaxZero

Post by MaxZero »

Aunty Beeb saying that a German news group has suggested the second HRT seat is priced at £25m
An extortionate amount
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

MaxZero wrote:Aunty Beeb saying that a German news group has suggested the second HRT seat is priced at £25m
An extortionate amount

I wonder who is capable of paying such price for that seat... That is probably the reason why it is taking some time to fill that second car. Realistically they will auction it to the better price, falling way short of demanded amount. But I hope that some sort of young multi millionaire gets to pay his way in, for that we can get an über reject :D!
Colin Kolles on F111, 2011 HRT challenger: The car doesn't look too bad; it looks like a modern F1 car.
P_Friesacher

Post by P_Friesacher »

Taki Inoue adds two sad pieces of news in the space of just one twitter message to speculations about HRT's drivers in 2011.

@takiinoue wrote:Sakon Yamamoto name is not in the shopping list of HRT. But over 10million euro is a huge amount. Who can pay it? Definitely not me. Hehehe!
Klon
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Klon »

30 Million Euro? How does Kolles expect anyone to pay this, even the biggest paydrivers in F1 history had barely more than ten. Unless they get either Nissany or Plamen Kralev this will never work out.
JohnMLTX

Post by JohnMLTX »

Klon wrote:30 Million Euro? How does Kolles expect anyone to pay this, even the biggest paydrivers in F1 history had barely more than ten. Unless they get either Nissany or Plamen Kralev this will never work out.

Or someone with national banking.
If China puts up the cash, I could see Ho-Pin Tung getting in.
ibsey wrote:Things happen in my underwear, every time I hear those Ferrari's.
mario

Post by mario »

Klon wrote:30 Million Euro? How does Kolles expect anyone to pay this, even the biggest paydrivers in F1 history had barely more than ten. Unless they get either Nissany or Plamen Kralev this will never work out.

If true, it is utterly astounding - to put it bluntly, if you have £25 million of sponsorship at your disposal, you could have bought Petrov out of Renault with ease, and Maldonado wouldn't have got a look in at Williams. Force India, too, would race to throw one of their drivers out of the team and grab you (since Mallya wants new sponsors instead of having to stump up most of the cash from his own businesses).

It just sounds a bit too large to be believable, because any driver who has that sort of money would have been looking much further up the grid - and, moreover, it is about three times what Karthikeyan is said to have paid for his seat. Taki Inoue's tweet - suggesting a price of about €10 million - sounds more believable; it is comparable to the amount Karthikeyan is bringing in, and it is feasible, if not necessarily easy, for a driver to find that sort of money if he is well connected.
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
thehemogoblin

Post by thehemogoblin »

JohnMLTX wrote:

That's what we're all Ho-Pin for.
watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

thehemogoblin wrote:
JohnMLTX wrote:

That's what we're all Ho-Pin for.

So this is why Tung was granted a superlicense...
Watka - you know, the swimming horses guy
David AGS

Post by David AGS »

My take on HRT.

First of all, give em credit for being in F1. I guess when a car is launched on the Thusday of the season, for a new team, with two new drivers, a brand new chassis you are already behind the 8 ball.

A small budget yes, but Senna brought little to the team, and Chandok bought a quarter of what he's meant to bring. A lot of reliability problems, so pretty much from mid-season onwards they were in survial mode.

So for 2011 its already much much better. A updated car. Also, Geoff Willis and Agatheliou (From Red Bull)have had imput into the car, combined with a reliable Cosworth, a new gearbox designed to the engine and all the ingredients are there. Also, despite not scoring points, they got 11th place instead of 12th(Virgin), so they may get some travel bonuses etc. Karthikeyan will bring the bucks, Id say Liuzzi or Valecchi would buy a seat there, and they should be good for the first or second test before the season starts. Whether that will see them be more competitive or now we will see.
Miserable Thierry (Boutsen) staggers round mostly on ten cylinders (out of 12) with no clutch, low oil pressure, bad brakes and no grip to finish tenth, 3 laps down...

(Murray Walkers review of Boutsen's Brazil 1991 race).

Thats a point these days!
Faustus
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Faustus »

I have just ordered Spark's model of Bruno Senna's HRT F110 (would rather have Yamamoto's, but it's not out yet), so I now consider myself an HRT supporter and I'll definitely buy some of their merchandise, if they have any for this year.
Following Formula 1 since 1984.
Avid collector of Formula 1 season guides and reviews.
Collector of reject merchandise and 1/43rd scale reject model cars.
TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

David AGS wrote:Id say Liuzzi or Valecchi would buy a seat there, and they should be good for the first or second test before the season starts.

Anyone would have to be insane to hire Liuzzi after what happened last year. Infact I'm going to go out on a limb and say he's been massively underperforming since the start of his F1 career. (Canada and China 2007, Italy 2009 and Korea 2010 showed what he could do but where was that pace the rest of the time?)
Biscione wrote:"Some Turkemenistani gulag repurposed for residential use" is the best way yet I've heard to describe North / East Glasgow.
David AGS

Post by David AGS »

Agree with you Whizzie,

But where in coming from: Has f1 experience, and it will be his last chance. Also, Force India want to run diResta or Hulkenberg, and they wont let go of Sutil (even though he hasnt signed and is a pay driver!) they may have to 'sell' Liuzzi to HRT, considering he is under-contract.

Personally and being bias, Id rather see Red Bull pump $5 mill (loose change) in HRT and give Ricciardo a go. He aint gonna get a win or mabe not a point, but a year in f1 then to Red Bull or STR in 2012
Last edited by David AGS on 19 Jan 2011, 11:21, edited 1 time in total.
Miserable Thierry (Boutsen) staggers round mostly on ten cylinders (out of 12) with no clutch, low oil pressure, bad brakes and no grip to finish tenth, 3 laps down...

the Masked Lapwing

Post by the Masked Lapwing »

David AGS wrote:Agree with you Wizzie,

But where in coming from: Has f1 experience, and it will be his last chance. Also, Force India want to run diResta or Hulkenberg, and they wont let go of Sutil (even though he hasnt signed and is a pay driver!) they may have to 'sell' Liuzzi to HRT, considering he is under-contract.

Firstly, Liuzzi won't be "sold" to HRT, they'll buy him out of his contract and send him packing. Secondly, why would HRT put Liuzzi in the car because of experience? Christian Klien was the experienced driver for HRT last year, but had the least money, and thus only got 3 races.

And I corrected your spelling of Wizzie, because I'm just like that.
R.I.P.
GM HOLDEN
1948-2017
fjackdaw

Post by fjackdaw »

http://www.autosport.com/news/grapevine.php/id/89034

About time they had a makeover - that dreary grey car last year was as uninspiring as the team generally. Hopefully this is the start of a new level of enthusiasm and determination.
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

fjackdaw wrote:http://www.autosport.com/news/grapevine.php/id/89034

About time they had a makeover - that dreary grey car last year was as uninspiring as the team generally. Hopefully this is the start of a new level of enthusiasm and determination.

At least they'll look good on the way to another DNQ each weekend...
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
Henrique

Post by Henrique »

dr-baker wrote:At least they'll look good on the way to another DNQ each weekend...

Brofist, Doctor :lol:

Seriously, don't they have more important things where they should spend their money?
fjackdaw

Post by fjackdaw »

Henrique wrote:
dr-baker wrote:At least they'll look good on the way to another DNQ each weekend...

Brofist, Doctor :lol:

Seriously, don't they have more important things where they should spend their money?

Could be a way to attract sponsors.
Cynon

Post by Cynon »

Rather, about time they took an original livery instead of copying Ryan Hunter-Reay's IRL car from a few years ago!
Check out the TM Master Cup Series on Youtube...
...or check out my random retro IndyCar clips.

Dr. Helmut Marko wrote: Finally we have an Australian in the team who can start a race well and challenge Vettel.
watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

Cynon wrote:

Rather, about time they took an original livery instead of copying Ryan Hunter-Reay's IRL car from a few years ago!

Seeing Narain Karthikeyan on a lightcycle would be impressive...
ADx_Wales
Location: The Fortress of Sofatude, with a laptop and a penchant for buying now TV day passes for F1 races.

Post by ADx_Wales »

Lets hope he has a CLU what he's doing, arf.
"The worst part of my body that hurt in the fire was my balls" Gerhard Berger on Imola 1989
Aerospeed

Post by Aerospeed »

ADx_Wales wrote:Lets hope he has a CLU what he's doing, arf.

Does this mean you're changing your avvie anytime soon? You do like HRT, right?
Mistakes in potatoes will ALWAYS happen :P
Trulli bad puns...
IN JAIL NO ONE CAN HEAR YOU SCREAM
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

So Kolles now thinks a new paint job will make the car faster... Only if somehow they managed to secretly incorporate turbocharging (which they can't do) and hire HWNSNBM, then they will be.
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
Kobacrashi

Post by Kobacrashi »

Although i don't think a colour scheme can speed a car up i am pretty sure that it managed to slow down honda in 2007 and 2008.

Maybe Colin is hoping that it can have the reverse effect if it looks really sleek and cool, or he will just paint on a picture of a fast car. At least the car almost definately won't be grey any more.
Kobayashi is back! Need I say more!
ADx_Wales
Location: The Fortress of Sofatude, with a laptop and a penchant for buying now TV day passes for F1 races.

Post by ADx_Wales »

JeremyMcClean wrote:
ADx_Wales wrote:Lets hope he has a CLU what he's doing, arf.

Does this mean you're changing your avvie anytime soon? You do like HRT, right?

Once the car is revealed there wll be an adjustment.
"The worst part of my body that hurt in the fire was my balls" Gerhard Berger on Imola 1989
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

A cool colour scheme should at least make them cool rejects if nothing else. :)
Peter

Post by Peter »

Now more making fun of HRT becasue of a Hollywood designer modeling the paint. Kolles doesn't think the paint makes the cars faster, but a pretty car is a happy car, and this will attract attention of people, and sponsors.
"The FIA's implementation of penalties is about as effective as that of the English football team."
mario

Post by mario »

Peter wrote:Now more making fun of HRT becasue of a Hollywood designer modeling the paint. Kolles doesn't think the paint makes the cars faster, but a pretty car is a happy car, and this will attract attention of people, and sponsors.

I think it is more the fact that HRT have still not announced their title sponsor (be it an existing backer or the Spanish corporation that Kolles says he has been talking to, but not yet revealed), a second driver, and the fact that the car will essentially be a modified version of this years car (at least according to Karthikeyan).
Getting a high profile designer to do the new paint scheme isn't in itself a bad idea - and I agree that a new livery could well make the car much more attractive to the viewing public, and therefore sponsors. It's just that it seems a bit frivolous to be worrying about the livery of the car when the general public is awaiting several more important announcements.
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
MaxZero

Post by MaxZero »

Heres hoping it looks awesome, but after reading about it help thinking about that TRON themed Segway.

With an awesome design i wouldn't be half surprised to see it implemented scrappily
David AGS

Post by David AGS »

Apparently new car will be tested in last test before season starts. Karthikeyan says 2nd driver and reserve will be announced 'in 2 or 3 weeks'

AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

Here's something to think about: all the HRT talk recently has been about this designer and the car livery. Obviously it seems suspicious as the likelihood of them even having a car ready is a little far-fetched. But what if it's all sorted already? What if Kolles is bluffing a little, and this news about a designer is an example of how advanced they are for 2011?

Maybe not, its just a thought that came to me! :)

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

AndreaModa wrote:Here's something to think about: all the HRT talk recently has been about this designer and the car livery. Obviously it seems suspicious as the likelihood of them even having a car ready is a little far-fetched. But what if it's all sorted already? What if Kolles is bluffing a little, and this news about a designer is an example of how advanced they are for 2011?

And I'm guessing according to you Force India are dragging out their driver announcement just to hide the fact that they're pretty much screwed this season correct?* :lol:

*Actually that's according to me but that's a different story
Biscione wrote:"Some Turkemenistani gulag repurposed for residential use" is the best way yet I've heard to describe North / East Glasgow.
mario

Post by mario »

Wizzie wrote:
AndreaModa wrote:Here's something to think about: all the HRT talk recently has been about this designer and the car livery. Obviously it seems suspicious as the likelihood of them even having a car ready is a little far-fetched. But what if it's all sorted already? What if Kolles is bluffing a little, and this news about a designer is an example of how advanced they are for 2011?

And I'm guessing according to you Force India are dragging out their driver announcement just to hide the fact that they're pretty much screwed this season correct?* :lol:

*Actually that's according to me but that's a different story

Force India may well be screwed (mainly due to several high ranking designers and managers defecting), but that is indeed another matter. However, with the expectation that HRT are going to re-use at least part of their 2010 car for the 2011 car (and comments from Karthikeyan suggest that is the case), they aren't exactly having to start from scratch.
Besides, they can still reveal their new livery in Valencia as they have already announced that they will re-use the old car for at least the first test (they are planning on having an interim car ready for the 2nd test).
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

Anyway, the future doesn't look too bright for both teams. The Force India brain exodus started to take its tool at the end of last season. Expecting Force India to be nearer the end of the grid than last year. It seems that they are in a bit of management mess, leading to all those key people fleeing.

As for HRT, if it was already hard for them in a car 5 seconds of the pace, we can only imagine how bad it will be like with a version of last year car. The only good news for them is having rid of Xtrac gearboxes. The Williams package is a good deal and should make them more reliable to pick the pieces left by others in attrition races.
watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

David AGS wrote:Apparently new car will be tested in last test before season starts. Karthikeyan says 2nd driver and reserve will be announced 'in 2 or 3 weeks'

I love the fact that Karthikeyan is the "lead" driver! How bad are the 2nd and reserve drivers going to be? :lol:
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

Apparently Kolles says it will be a completely new car after all!

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/89071

That F111 will be a right bucket of bolts I just know it! :lol:

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

AndreaModa wrote:Apparently Kolles says it will be a completely new car after all!

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/89071

That F111 will be a right bucket of bolts I just know it! :lol:

I think that he refers to the revised 2010 car as the 'new car'. After all, it is going to have a whole new and cool livery, so it is totally different! :twisted:

EDIT: I was completely wrong! It is a NEW CAR!
http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2011/01/25/hrt-plan-to-introduce-2011-car-at-bahrain-test/
How the hell did they pulled it off??? (Assuming they do pull it off...)