What Tracks Will Get the Boot?

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
thehemogoblin

Re: What Tracks Will Get the Boot?

Post by thehemogoblin »

Wizzie wrote:
thehemogoblin wrote:And Austin, Texas, is definitely in the American Southwest. It's far too far south to be considered centrally located.

I was under the impression that Texas was too far east to be considered "Southwest"... I probably should have said the Southern part of Central rather than just Central...

Southwest runs from Arizona to Texas. West Coast encompasses California, along with Oregon and Washington.
TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

thehemogoblin wrote:
Wizzie wrote:
thehemogoblin wrote:And Austin, Texas, is definitely in the American Southwest. It's far too far south to be considered centrally located.

I was under the impression that Texas was too far east to be considered "Southwest"... I probably should have said the Southern part of Central rather than just Central...

Southwest runs from Arizona to Texas. West Coast encompasses California, along with Oregon and Washington.

Oregon and Washington are also part of the Pacific Northwest aren't they?
Biscione wrote:"Some Turkemenistani gulag repurposed for residential use" is the best way yet I've heard to describe North / East Glasgow.
thehemogoblin

Post by thehemogoblin »

Wizzie wrote:Oregon and Washington are also part of the Pacific Northwest aren't they?

Yes. Depends on context to determine which is more appropriate. But there's a definite cultural difference between the Pacific Northwest and California.
the Masked Lapwing

Post by the Masked Lapwing »

Most of this American geography would make more sense if I lived in America.
R.I.P.
GM HOLDEN
1948-2017
Phoenix

Post by Phoenix »

the Masked Lapwing wrote:Most of this American geography would make more sense if I lived in America.

Note to the F1 Rejects overlords: add a I like button (and a I don't like one, just in case).
thehemogoblin

Post by thehemogoblin »

the Masked Lapwing wrote:Most of this American geography would make more sense if I lived in America.

Yeah, and everyone's fascination with Bathurst would make more sense to me if I were Australian.
Phoenix

Post by Phoenix »

thehemogoblin wrote:

Yeah, and everyone's fascination with Bathurst would make more sense to me if I were Australian.

What he means (I think) is that he's been teached about American's geography superficially as he's Australian.
the Masked Lapwing

Phoenix wrote:
thehemogoblin wrote:

What he means (I think) is that he's been teached about American's geography superficially as he's Australian.

That's about right Phoenix. I can name some states and capitals (like Phoenix, Arizona...hehe) and that's about it.
R.I.P.
GM HOLDEN
1948-2017
Phoenix

Post by Phoenix »

the Masked Lapwing wrote:
Phoenix wrote:What he means (I think) is that he's been teached about American's geography superficially as he's Australian.

That's about right Phoenix. I can name some states and capitals (like Phoenix, Arizona...hehe) and that's about it.

I've known people that thought New York, Los Angeles, and even Chicago were the capitals of USA...
TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

Phoenix wrote:
the Masked Lapwing wrote:
Phoenix wrote:What he means (I think) is that he's been teached about American's geography superficially as he's Australian.

I've known people that thought New York, Los Angeles, and even Chicago were the capitals of USA...

I'm probably one of the few non-Americans that know that Sacramento is the capital of California.
Biscione wrote:"Some Turkemenistani gulag repurposed for residential use" is the best way yet I've heard to describe North / East Glasgow.
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

Wizzie wrote:I'm probably one of the few non-Americans that know that Sacramento is the capital of California.

I thought it was San Diego?
Sebastian Vettel wrote:If I was good at losing I wouldn't be in Formula 1.
Everything's great.
I'm not surprised about anything.
jackanderton

Post by jackanderton »

Hungary and Turkey must be on the boot list. Spa and Montreal are sadly going to be on the chopping block, or reduced to being held every other season. Silverstone will never be far away from the chop, though I doubt whether ultimately Bernie would go through with it, and Hockenheim is beginning to look past its best (they should never have changed it).

In an ideal world F1 would never again visit Valencia, Shanghai, Sakhir or Yas Marina.

I would be happy with this:

Melbourne
Sepang
Kylami
Istanbul
Imola
Montreal
Monaco
Spa
Jerez
Silverstone
Nurburgring
A1-Ring!!
Monza
Marina Bay
Suzuka
Buenos Aires
Interlagos

Here comes the part where you tell me a certain circuit no longer exists.
uh_clem

Post by uh_clem »

the Masked Lapwing wrote:That's about right Phoenix. I can name some states and capitals (like Phoenix, Arizona...hehe) and that's about it.

FYI: Austin is the capital of Texas.

Even though I live in Texas, I would rather see the USGP return to Indy. F1 has no future in Tejas in my opinion.
F1000X

Post by F1000X »

uh_clem wrote:
the Masked Lapwing wrote:That's about right Phoenix. I can name some states and capitals (like Phoenix, Arizona...hehe) and that's about it.

FYI: Austin is the capital of Texas.

Even though I live in Texas, I would rather see the USGP return to Indy. F1 has no future in Tejas in my opinion.

I think everybody but Bernie and the management agrees with you.
"Sebastian Bourdais- he once was a champ, but now he's a chump." -Will Power
thehemogoblin

Post by thehemogoblin »

Phoenix wrote:
thehemogoblin wrote:

Taught.

Also, I didn't even know Bathurst existed until I started frequenting this forum.
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

BlindCaveSalamander wrote:
Wizzie wrote:I'm probably one of the few non-Americans that know that Sacramento is the capital of California.

Does Orlando deserve to be Florida's capital (or rather, does Florida deserve Orlando as its capital?)
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
thehemogoblin

Post by thehemogoblin »

dr-baker wrote:
BlindCaveSalamander wrote:

Does Orlando deserve to be Florida's capital (or rather, does Florida deserve Orlando as its capital?)

Tallahassee says no.
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

dr-baker wrote:Does Orlando deserve to be Florida's capital (or rather, does Florida deserve Orlando as its capital?)

Tallahassee says no.[/quote]
OK, let me rephrase that. Ought Orlando to be Florida's capital (or vice versa)?... is what I meant. :P A Mickey Mouse state with Mickey Mouse as State guv'nor?
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

All you colonials have no idea. Ottawa in Canada, Washington DC in USA, Canberra in Australia, Wellington in New Zealand...why don't you make your biggest city the capital city like everyone else?
Watka - you know, the swimming horses guy
thehemogoblin

Post by thehemogoblin »

watka wrote:All you colonials have no idea. Ottawa in Canada, Washington DC in USA, Canberra in Australia, Wellington in New Zealand...why don't you make your biggest city the capital city like everyone else?

Because it keeps our centers of finance and government separate.
the Masked Lapwing

thehemogoblin wrote:
watka wrote:All you colonials have no idea. Ottawa in Canada, Washington DC in USA, Canberra in Australia, Wellington in New Zealand...why don't you make your biggest city the capital city like everyone else?

And we don't want Sydney becoming as bad as Canberra. Ever.
R.I.P.
GM HOLDEN
1948-2017
Aerospeed

Post by Aerospeed »

Hopefully Singabore and as many people mentioned, Borerain. Ironically there is no rain in Borerain. How sad.

And what about Valencia being axed? Please tell me Valencia will get axed. I HATE it.

BTW, where does Korea go? If you're asking for my opinion.... I have none since I haven't seen a full practice yet. I'll come back after qualifying.

*sees TV listings*

JEEZ, ANOTHER EARLY MORNING RACE??? >: (
Mistakes in potatoes will ALWAYS happen :P
Trulli bad puns...
IN JAIL NO ONE CAN HEAR YOU SCREAM
the Masked Lapwing

JeremyMcClean wrote:Ironically there is no rain in Borerain. How sad.

Borerainless?
R.I.P.
GM HOLDEN
1948-2017
Ridge Racer

Post by Ridge Racer »

Judging from what I've read on yahoo sports there are allot of Texans who aren't all that interested in having (or seeing) a Formula One race held in Austin so I don't see it lasting more than a season or two before attendance drops severely.

The reason for this is simple: in texas they love their NASCAR , Texas Motor Speedway in Fort Worth routinely sells out both races in the nascar season (sometimes a year or two in advance).

Besides the last two times F1 was in the southwest were when it was in Las Vegas Nevada in the early 80's and Phoenix Arizona during the early 90's and we all know how badly both of those events flopped.

If Bernie really wants a lasting F1 race in the US he should look to cities that have a much more international feel to them like Long Beach California, Seattle Washington or Miami Florida.

If for some reason F1 in Montreal were to become unworkable they could always move ten hours down the road to Toronto and Mosport Park.

It would be sad to see Spa disappear from the schedule because it's such a great track but they could always go back to Zolder if they had to.

I do hope that Valencia gets the boot because it's such a boring track despite it's claim to have somewhere in the neighborhood of thirty turns (although most of them are just kinks and jinks that can be straight lined through) it has never generated a really interesting race.

Personally I'd love to see them race again at the Paul Richard (which may yet happen in 2012) Kyalami (doubtful) and Imola (especially after the reconstruction that put it back the way it was before the hasty redesign after the horrors of 1994)
watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

thehemogoblin wrote:

Touché
Watka - you know, the swimming horses guy
Aerospeed

Post by Aerospeed »

Trulli bad puns...
F1000X

Post by F1000X »

Ridge Racer wrote:Personally I'd love to see them race again at the Paul Richard (which may yet happen in 2012) Kyalami (doubtful) and Imola (especially after the reconstruction that put it back the way it was before the hasty redesign after the horrors of 1994)

:shock: WHERE DID YOU READ THAT.

Imola should make it's way back on the calendar. They've invested enough development money into the circuit to have earned a seat.
"Sebastian Bourdais- he once was a champ, but now he's a chump." -Will Power
Captain Hammer

Post by Captain Hammer »

It's not a question of how much money you sink into the circuit. It's whether the circuit meets safety standards, and Imola has been a problem. Particularly on the start line with that little kink right on top of it. It's caused numerous accidents of late, and a lot have ended with a car rolling over. The problem is that they've ironed out the Variante Bassa; that final chicane no longer exists, so it's flat out from Rivazza to Tamburello. But that little kink can cause problems, and it's virtuially impossible to get rid of it. They can't straighten it out, because doing so would require moving the pit lane backwards, and there is a creek directly behind it that is in the way. Likewise, they can't move in the direction of the infield, because the circuit is bordered by grandstands, and directly behind that is a large hill.

Besides, with the new one-race-per-country plan going on, it's unlikely the race would be revived, even as the San Marino Grand Prix. Ferrari were deeply opposed to a race in Rome (which has now been abandoned), and I don't think they'd be enthusiastic for Imola (even if the circuit has their namesake in its official title). They certainly couldn't appear to be enthusiastic, lest they appear to be hypocrites (not that that's ever stopped them in the past). Likewise, Valencia will probably go once its contract is up, or else Barcelona will and Valencia will inherit the title of the Spanish Grand Prix.
mario wrote:I'm wondering what the hell has been going on in this thread [...] it's turned into a bizarre detour into mythical flying horses and the sort of search engine results that CoopsII is going to have a very hard time explaining ...
P_Friesacher

Post by P_Friesacher »

Captain Hammer wrote:Likewise, Valencia will probably go once its contract is up, or else Barcelona will and Valencia will inherit the title of the Spanish Grand Prix.

Or else it's goodbye to both and Formula One finally goes to the track earning the place on the calendar: The fabulous Motorland Aragón, one of the few really good tracks designed by Tilke. Won't happen, however, because even though it has a level 1 licence from the FIA enabling it to host F1, that track is sadly farther away from big population centers than Spain's other F1 tracks. (Spanish forum members please correct me if I'm wrong, which, in this case, I would love to be!)
Klon
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Klon »

P_Friesacher wrote:Or else it's goodbye to both and Formula One finally goes to the track earning the place on the calendar: The fabulous Motorland Aragón, one of the few really good tracks designed by Tilke. Won't happen, however, because even though it has a level 1 licence from the FIA enabling it to host F1, that track is sadly farther away from big population centers than Spain's other F1 tracks. (Spanish forum members please correct me if I'm wrong, which, in this case, I would love to be!)

Well, not really. I have seen Aragon onboard laps and aside from having much more elevation than both Valencia and Barcelona there is no reason F1 races are really having a chance at being much better there than they do anywhere else in Spain.
Rocks with Salt

Post by Rocks with Salt »

JeremyMcClean wrote:Rome GP abandoned

Hooray!

NOT YAY! Ferrari Mafia or not, who in their right mind would be opposed to the Vatican GP? Why couldn't Alemanno just say that they were on a mission from God - that worked in The Blues Brothers, didn't it? Besides, it would be the ultimate inter-Italian battle royale: Tifosi vs. Catholics!
...in bed.

1998 Monaco GP wrote:Murray Walker: A lot of people here are really debating if Riccardo Rosset is Formula 1 material.
Martin Brundle: Well, that's a fairly short debate, Murray.
Aerospeed

Post by Aerospeed »

Rocks with Salt wrote:

Hooray!

NOT YAY! Ferrari Mafia or not, who in their right mind would be opposed to the Vatican GP? Why couldn't Alemanno just say that they were on a mission from God - that worked in The Blues Brothers, didn't it? Besides, it would be the ultimate inter-Italian battle royale: Tifosi vs. Catholics!

Well, that's A) One bad layout off my list and B) At least Monza will stay in the meantime
Trulli bad puns...
Rocks with Salt

Post by Rocks with Salt »

JeremyMcClean wrote:
Rocks with Salt wrote:

Hooray!

Well, that's A) One bad layout off my list and B) At least Monza will stay in the meantime

Let's be honest: unless Monza is experiencing crippling financial issues at the moment that I'm unaware about, then the track is forever.
...in bed.

1998 Monaco GP wrote:Murray Walker: A lot of people here are really debating if Riccardo Rosset is Formula 1 material.
Martin Brundle: Well, that's a fairly short debate, Murray.
Ferrim

Post by Ferrim »

P_Friesacher wrote:
Captain Hammer wrote:Likewise, Valencia will probably go once its contract is up, or else Barcelona will and Valencia will inherit the title of the Spanish Grand Prix.

Or else it's goodbye to both and Formula One finally goes to the track earning the place on the calendar: The fabulous Motorland Aragón, one of the few really good tracks designed by Tilke. Won't happen, however, because even though it has a level 1 licence from the FIA enabling it to host F1, that track is sadly farther away from big population centers than Spain's other F1 tracks. (Spanish forum members please correct me if I'm wrong, which, in this case, I would love to be!)

Well... it's located in Alcañiz, a small town. That moves it away from Barcelona, but puts it closer to Madrid and not too far away from Valencia, so I don't really know whether more people would attend or not.
Go home, Bernie Ecclestone!

"There will be no other victory this year, I can tell you, more welcomed than this one" Bob Varsha, 1995 Canadian GP

F1 Rejects Forums – going off-topic since 2009!
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

Silverstone is a good hour from both London and Birmingham by car so to be honest, a track doesn't need to be located in a densely populated area. If people want to come, they'll come, the transport links to the circuit just need to be adequate that's all.
I want my MTV...Simtek Ford

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
nome66

Post by nome66 »

to be honest, i'd rather watch f1 on the Norisring than Valencia. At least the track will have some significant history for the commentators to break the ice during the broadcast.
Norisring: what once was the primary stop in the parade route of the third reich...
Valencia: so with the Korean grand prix under the knife we have this week Valenc....zzzzzzzzzzz
I believe in German BARawnda-Tyrrell-Simca(and it's working)

the only difference between the roman gladiators and racing drivers is that racing drivers sit inside the lion that is trying to kill them.
europeanminardi

Post by europeanminardi »

Sure Norisring would be nice, but a lap there would only take about 40 seconds, they'd lap the HRT in lap 8...
Bleu

Post by Bleu »

Norisring race would be 133 laps if they drive the usual 305-kilometre distance!
Myrvold

Post by Myrvold »

But it would be some overtaking I think. And, "no blue flag rules for that race" makes it the ultimate overtaking-skill-race:)
Klon
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Klon »

nome66 wrote:to be honest, i'd rather watch f1 on the Norisring than Valencia. At least the track will have some significant history for the commentators to break the ice during the broadcast.
Norisring: what once was the primary stop in the parade route of the third reich...
Valencia: so with the Korean grand prix under the knife we have this week Valenc....zzzzzzzzzzz

I'd be in favour of this, since it would give me the never-ending pleasure of pointing out that Ralf Schumacher got a pole in a major racing series there before his brother did.