The Marcus Grönholm Rally Thread

The place for anything and everything else to do with F1 history, different forms of motorsport, and all other randomness
dr-baker

Re: The World Rally Championship thread

Post by dr-baker »

Stop the Press !!!!

Some unknown driver called Sebastian Loeb has won Rally Germany!!! Has anybody heard of this guy before? Who is he?

Seriously, that was about as predictable as the sun rising again tomorrow morning...
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

dr-baker wrote:Seriously, that was about as predictable as the sun rising again tomorrow morning...

The sun doesn't always rise in the morning where i'm from.
I like the way Snrub thinks!
Phoenix

Post by Phoenix »

redbulljack14 wrote:
dr-baker wrote:Seriously, that was about as predictable as the sun rising again tomorrow morning...

It always rises, it's just that the clouds hide it.
Nessafox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nessafox »

Phoenix wrote:
redbulljack14 wrote:

It always rises, it's just that the clouds hide it.

actually it doesn't, it's the earth that's rotating ;)
I don't know what i want and i want it now!
Aerospeed

Post by Aerospeed »

dr-baker wrote:Stop the Press !!!!

Some unknown driver called Sebastian Loeb has won Rally Germany!!! Has anybody heard of this guy before? Who is he?

Some guy from France. I'm on a hunch here, but I think Loeb will win the Drivers' title.
Mistakes in potatoes will ALWAYS happen :P
Trulli bad puns...
IN JAIL NO ONE CAN HEAR YOU SCREAM
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

This wrote:
Phoenix wrote:It always rises, it's just that the clouds hide it.

actually it doesn't, it's the earth that's rotating ;)

HERETIC!!

HOW DARE YOU CHALLENGE THE DIVINE, UNCONQUERABLE LAWS THAT HATH BEEN SET IN STONE SINCE THE DAWN OF TIME BY THE ONE ALMIGHTY?

BURN HIM!! :twisted:
I want my MTV...Simtek Ford

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

JeremyMcClean wrote:

Some guy from France. I'm on a hunch here, but I think Loeb will win the Drivers' title.

Really? Loeb winning the driver's title? That's some hunch you have there.
I like the way Snrub thinks!
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

redbulljack14 wrote:
JeremyMcClean wrote:

Really? Loeb winning the driver's title? That's some hunch you have there.

It might not be as crazy as it sounds. This Loeb guy apparently has a fairly decent lead. He might very well take it.
Sebastian Vettel wrote:If I was good at losing I wouldn't be in Formula 1.
Everything's great.
I'm not surprised about anything.
RealRacingRoots

Post by RealRacingRoots »

It looks like Hyundai is to return to the WRC in 2014 after being absent from the series since the end of 2003.

Can't wait for more details once the Paris Motor Show comes around!

http://www.inautonews.com/hyundai-to-enter-wrc-with-i20-rally-car-goes-to-paris-motor-show#.UFVDZY1lQf4
The Truth Shall set you free. (no theme music plays)
Tomáš.......Ttaaaaaaaattaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
Watch this if you want to learn about what Canada is really like.
GT Super Series
Shizuka

Post by Shizuka »

I hope they will have a more successful campaign than with the Accent.

Code: Select all

14:03   RaikkonenPlsCare   There's some water in water
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

Shizuka wrote:I hope they will have a more successful campaign than with the Accent.

They should bring back Juha Kankkunen again :lol:
Novitopoli wrote:Everytime someone orders at Pizza Hut, an Italian dies.
Novitopoli wrote:Juve's Triplete: Calciopoli, doping & Mafia connections.

Image Image
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

If those rumours are true then that's excellent news for the WRC. If Citroen and Ford stay put, and I've no reason to doubt that, and if BMW push on with a proper factory effort for the Mini, then we'll have those three, VW, Toyota and Hyundai competing in 2014. On top of that there'll be a few junior teams I'd imagine, most likely Citroen's and Ford's so at least 8 two car teams competing.

It's like Benetton's alternate WRC championship! :lol:

In other news, someone not called Loeb won Rally GB! That's right folks, the name of this mysterious being is some Finnish bloke called Latvala! Apparently he managed to not crash his Ford for three days straight! Quite an achievement for him I'm told!

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
pasta_maldonado
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by pasta_maldonado »

AndreaModa wrote:If those rumours are true then that's excellent news for the WRC. If Citroen and Ford stay put, and I've no reason to doubt that, and if BMW push on with a proper factory effort for the Mini, then we'll have those three, VW, Toyota and Hyundai competing in 2014. On top of that there'll be a few junior teams I'd imagine, most likely Citroen's and Ford's so at least 8 two car teams competing.

It's like Benetton's alternate WRC championship! :lol:

In other news, someone not called Loeb won Rally GB! That's right folks, the name of this mysterious being is some Finnish bloke called Latvala! Apparently he managed to not crash his Ford for three days straight! Quite an achievement for him I'm told!

WHAT IS THIS FOUL BLASPHEMY!?!?!?!? ;)
Klon wrote:more liek Nick Ass-idy amirite?
Aerospeed

Post by Aerospeed »

AndreaModa wrote:In other news, someone not called Loeb won Rally GB! That's right folks, the name of this mysterious being is some Finnish bloke called Latvala! Apparently he managed to not crash his Ford for three days straight! Quite an achievement for him I'm told!

That's not what the prophecy told us...
Trulli bad puns...
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

And Autosport reported that Kris Meeke competed on one stage in a road-spec Bentley Continental for a Top Gear feature... And was within about 20% of Petter Solberg's time!
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
RonDenisDeletraz

Post by RonDenisDeletraz »

dr-baker wrote:And Autosport reported that Kris Meeke competed on one stage in a road-spec Bentley Continental for a Top Gear feature... And was within about 20% of Petter Solberg's time!

I am now really looking forward to that Top Gear episode.
aerond wrote:Yes RDD, but we always knew you never had any sort of taste either :P

tommykl wrote:I have a shite car and meme sponsors, but Corrado Fabi will carry me to the promised land with the power of Lionel Richie.
dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

As am I, particularly after Jezza deliberately ignored him (for comedy effect, obviously) last time he was on Top Gear just so he could brag about having Amy Williams on the show again...

Incidentally, why hasn't this thread been named after an F1 reject personality like the others have? Pedro Chaves and Stéphane Sarrazin both turned to rallying after their brief F1 forays...
James Allen, on his favourite F1 engine of all time:
"...the Life W12, I can't describe the noise to you, but imagine filling your dustbin with nuts and bolts, and then throwing it down the stairs, it was something akin to that!"
WaffleCat

Post by WaffleCat »

dinizintheoven wrote:
Incidentally, why hasn't this thread been named after an F1 reject personality like the others have? Pedro Chaves and Stéphane Sarrazin both turned to rallying after their brief F1 forays...

Or maybe Jean-Louis Schessler,who has completed quite a few Paris-Dakars IIRC.I even have a model of one of his off road cars.
My friend's USB drive spoiled, spilled tea on her laptop and had a bird poo in her hand.

What did she do in her past life to deserve this?

Signup for the Random Racing League, Season TWO!!!
RonDenisDeletraz

WaffleCat wrote:
dinizintheoven wrote:

Or maybe Jean-Louis Schessler,who has completed quite a few Paris-Dakars IIRC.I even have a model of one of his off road cars.

I always remember really wanting Schlesser to win the Dakar everytime I watches it as a child.
aerond wrote:Yes RDD, but we always knew you never had any sort of taste either :P

tommykl wrote:I have a shite car and meme sponsors, but Corrado Fabi will carry me to the promised land with the power of Lionel Richie.
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Does this prove God? Let's hope that he competes in few enogh rallies to have a stab at the championship, while giving someone else the chance to say that they beat Loeb while he was still competing (Damon Hill, 1996-style).
MCard LOLA
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

Well that is interesting, coupled with the fact that Citroen are looking to enter the WTCC with Loeb in 2014. Maybe they'll run 3 cars next year, Hirvonen, Nasser Al-Attiyah, and then Loeb in a third car occasionally. Then again with Abu Dhabi sponsorship, maybe Al-Attiyah is less likely to feature as he's from Qatar?

Also, the Hyundai i20 has been properly revealed in Paris:

So with Citroen, Hyundai and VW already confirmed for definite, plus with all likelihood Ford and the possibility of a proper factory Mini team, things are finally starting to look good for the WRC again! :D

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

AndreaModa wrote:Well that is interesting, coupled with the fact that Citroen are looking to enter the WTCC with Loeb in 2014. Maybe they'll run 3 cars next year, Hirvonen, Nasser Al-Attiyah, and then Loeb in a third car occasionally. Then again with Abu Dhabi sponsorship, maybe Al-Attiyah is less likely to feature as he's from Qatar?

Also, the Hyundai i20 has been properly revealed in Paris:

So with Citroen, Hyundai and VW already confirmed for definite, plus with all likelihood Ford and the possibility of a proper factory Mini team, things are finally starting to look good for the WRC again! :D

Plus you'll potentially have a crapload of privateers running the Toyota Yaris which will probably be a pre-cursor to a full Toyota works team in the future... there is light at the end of the tunnel yet for the WRC.
Biscione wrote:"Some Turkemenistani gulag repurposed for residential use" is the best way yet I've heard to describe North / East Glasgow.
Phoenix

Post by Phoenix »

All I can say to this flux of news is...

Now we only need the Safari to return and perfection will have been achieved. I wasn't so excited about WRC since 2004.
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

I think Mads Østberg has a chance to get a works drive out of all this. Let's say Citroen will run three cars all season long and no more. Neuville gets dropped because he has been, quite frankly, rubbish, Østberg gets the second full-time DS3 along with Hirvonen and Al-Attiyah/Loeb car share throughout the season. He is only 5 points behind Solberg and 1 ahead of Latvala, despite having competed in one less event than Latvala and two less than Solberg. He has been the best Ford driver this season as he has been extremely consistent. Every time he's raced this year he's finished in the Top 5 - no-one else this season has (yes, not even Loeb).

Ford will retain Latvala/Solberg I expect. Meanwhile Volkswagen look pretty certain to go with Ogier/Mikkelsen for their debut campaign. I don't understand where these rumours of Mini becoming a full works effort again are coming from though, I see no evidence to support this.

I have also been surprised by Evgeny Novikov - having been given a second bite of the cherry he hasn't been his old erratic self, driving much more maturely. The fact he has more than twice as many points as his team-mate Ott Tänak shows as much.

Image Image
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

Oh crap... It seems this bloke Loeb will be retiring at the peak of his powers, totally undefeated. Am I the only one that feels such move will undermine everyone who wins the championship within the next years because "yeah, he won and everything, but you see, if Loeb was here he would take that guy, put him in the front of his car and swipe the stages clean with him..."? Also, Hirvonen move now looks like a genius one because, looking at this years championship, no one will threaten him. Except Ogier. And Ogier will beat him in an inferior car. I wanted to see Loeb vs Ogier so much and now bathplug all. WRC will take some years to convince me to look at it seriously again.
Colin Kolles on F111, 2011 HRT challenger: The car doesn't look too bad; it looks like a modern F1 car.
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

DanielPT wrote:Oh crap... It seems this bloke Loeb will be retiring at the peak of his powers, totally undefeated. Am I the only one that feels such move will undermine everyone who wins the championship within the next years because "yeah, he won and everything, but you see, if Loeb was here he would take that guy, put him in the front of his car and swipe the stages clean with him..."? Also, Hirvonen move now looks like a genius one because, looking at this years championship, no one will threaten him. Except Ogier. And Ogier will beat him in an inferior car. I wanted to see Loeb vs Ogier so much and now bathplug all. WRC will take some years to convince me to look at it seriously again.

That is a very good point. Loeb vs Ogier would have been an incredible focal point of the championship in the next couple of years and we've been robbed of it. Finally, Loeb's "successor" was going to have a team willing to give him everything rather than make him number two, finally he could go head to head with his former mentor on a level playing field, and we'll never get to see it. Darn :(

Image Image
Phoenix

Post by Phoenix »

DanielPT wrote:Oh crap... It seems this bloke Loeb will be retiring at the peak of his powers, totally undefeated. Am I the only one that feels such move will undermine everyone who wins the championship within the next years because "yeah, he won and everything, but you see, if Loeb was here he would take that guy, put him in the front of his car and swipe the stages clean with him..."? Also, Hirvonen move now looks like a genius one because, looking at this years championship, no one will threaten him. Except Ogier. And Ogier will beat him in an inferior car. I wanted to see Loeb vs Ogier so much and now bathplug all. WRC will take some years to convince me to look at it seriously again.

To be honest, I don't give a toss about Loeb retiring. The next champion will be a worthwile one, and the fact he didn't take it off Loeb won't undermine that.
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

Phoenix wrote:

To be honest, I don't give a toss about Loeb retiring. The next champion will be a worthwile one, and the fact he didn't take it off Loeb won't undermine that.

In the long run perhaps your right and people won't remember that. Still won't consider them great rally drivers.
Colin Kolles on F111, 2011 HRT challenger: The car doesn't look too bad; it looks like a modern F1 car.
Phoenix

Post by Phoenix »

DanielPT wrote:
Phoenix wrote:

In the long run perhaps your right and people won't remember that. Still won't consider them great rally drivers.

You don't know if Sébastien Ogier could still achieve as much dominance as Loeb. Very difficult, but not impossible...
Aerospeed

Post by Aerospeed »

Loeb will definitely retire a legend. Almost like Michael Schumacher before he decided to jump back into the circus.
Trulli bad puns...
Jocke1

Post by Jocke1 »

AndreaModa wrote:So with Citroen, Hyundai and VW already confirmed for definite, plus with all likelihood Ford and the possibility of a proper factory Mini team, things are finally starting to look good for the WRC again! :D

When is Lada entering?
-*:-
RealRacingRoots

Post by RealRacingRoots »

Jocke1 wrote:
AndreaModa wrote:So with Citroen, Hyundai and VW already confirmed for definite, plus with all likelihood Ford and the possibility of a proper factory Mini team, things are finally starting to look good for the WRC again! :D

When is Lada entering?

Lada is for the WTCC, not WRC afaik.
The Truth Shall set you free. (no theme music plays)
Tomáš.......Ttaaaaaaaattaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
Watch this if you want to learn about what Canada is really like.
GT Super Series
Jocke1

Post by Jocke1 »

RealRacingRoots wrote:
Jocke1 wrote:

When is Lada entering?

Lada is for the WTCC, not WRC afaik.

I believe they could pull off the transition well.
-*:-
Captain Hammer

Post by Captain Hammer »

Ford has confirmed they're in.

Mini is the big unknown. Rumour has it that they won't support anyone next year, and quietly withdraw.
mario wrote:I'm wondering what the hell has been going on in this thread [...] it's turned into a bizarre detour into mythical flying horses and the sort of search engine results that CoopsII is going to have a very hard time explaining ...
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

Captain Hammer wrote:

Mini is the big unknown. Rumour has it that they won't support anyone next year, and quietly withdraw.

That's odd, I could have sworn I read somewhere a couple of months back that said they were seriously considering renewing a partnership with Prodrive again.

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

AndreaModa wrote:
Captain Hammer wrote:

That's odd, I could have sworn I read somewhere a couple of months back that said they were seriously considering renewing a partnership with Prodrive again.

My sweetheart Prodrive,

Sorry to have left you out in the cold and betrayed you in the back with some other team. It meant nothing to me, I swear! I was having a crisis with my stepmother... You know how she can be. She thinks she knows the best for me and keeps always changing her mind. It's so annoyingly confusing! I never know what she wants next. Because of this I became lost and when we are lost we do silly things. I know I am a worthless company but I have now found myself and know what I want. I want you and only you! I promise to reduce my mother's influence in my live. Can you take me back? Please?

Love you,
Mini
TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

DanielPT wrote:
AndreaModa wrote:
Captain Hammer wrote:Ford has confirmed they're in.

My sweetheart Prodrive,

Sorry to have left you out in the cold and betrayed you in the back with some other team. It meant nothing to me, I swear! I was having a crisis with my stepmother... You know how she can be. She thinks she knows the best for me and keeps always changing her mind. It's so annoyingly confusing! I never know what she wants next. Because of this I became lost and when we are lost we do silly things. I know I am a worthless company but I have now found myself and know what I want. I want you and only you! I promise to reduce my mother's influence in my live. Can you take me back? Please?

Love you,
Mini

If it wasn't so long, that would be my new sig :lol:
Biscione wrote:"Some Turkemenistani gulag repurposed for residential use" is the best way yet I've heard to describe North / East Glasgow.
RonDenisDeletraz

Wizzie wrote:
DanielPT wrote:
AndreaModa wrote:

My sweetheart Prodrive,

Love you,
Mini

If it wasn't so long, that would be my new sig :lol:[/quote]

I agree that is one of the best things I have read in a while

McDuck

Post by McDuck »

Loeb should just suck it up and race full time next year. Then he could be like "WRC? Yeah, I dominated that for an entire decade."

This only racing in WRC part-time next year nonsense smacks of laziness.
The USA is three meals away from chaos.
RonDenisDeletraz

McDuck wrote:Loeb should just suck it up and race full time next year. Then he could be like "WRC? Yeah, I dominated that for an entire decade."

This only racing in WRC part-time next year nonsense smacks of laziness.

Do you really want another year of LOEBWINSLOL