The Marcus Grönholm Rally Thread

The place for anything and everything else to do with F1 history, different forms of motorsport, and all other randomness
TomWazzleshaw

Re: The World Rally Championship thread

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

kostas22 wrote:
Klon wrote:
eurobrun wrote:WRC will be dead in 5 years. I wish for a return to early to mid 2000's levels of manufacturer involvement.

Depending on manufacturer involvement is the biggest death spell a racing series can get - if anything, they should try to support private teams more while trying to find someone who can beat Loeb.

Ogier can. But he was hung out to dry by Citroen and has to play the long game so he can get VW to himself.

And if Malcolm Wilson wasn't an incompetent fool, Solberg would have a fairly good chance as well. Unlike Ogier however, I doubt if he has any option to play the long game.
Biscione wrote:"Some Turkemenistani gulag repurposed for residential use" is the best way yet I've heard to describe North / East Glasgow.
Myrvold

Post by Myrvold »

Mads Østberg was sent to hospital after a crash in Rally Bohemia today. He was cutting a corner. But what he thought was a small bush, was rocks with grass on top.
He complained about backpain. But nothing was broken, though it was a slipped disk in his back. (Is it really called a slipped disk?)
Klon
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Klon »

Myrvold wrote:Mads Østberg was sent to hospital after a crash in Rally Bohemia today. He was cutting a corner. But what he thought was a small bush, was rocks with grass on top.
He complained about backpain. But nothing was broken, though it was a slipped disk in his back. (Is it really called a slipped disk?)

It is. Of course, if you want to be technical it is a prolapsus disci intervertebralis but that is of course fully up to you. :lol:
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

I think we can safely assume that if Ostberg doesn't make it back, Mikkelsen will take his place, if the team continues to attend rallies.
Novitopoli wrote:Everytime someone orders at Pizza Hut, an Italian dies.
Novitopoli wrote:Juve's Triplete: Calciopoli, doping & Mafia connections.

Image Image
Myrvold

Post by Myrvold »

I guess Ostberg will just miss next weekends rally they were supposed to race in Estonia.
However, Adapta WRT do have a good relationship with Anders Grondal and Bilbutikken WRT. And they have a younger driver in the team. Frank Tore Larsen, currently driving R2 cars. And, at last Eyvind Brynildsen raced for Adapta in Sweden.
So, it's very very unlikely that Mikkelsen, contracted to vw/Skoda UK will race any for Adapta.
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

Myrvold wrote:I guess Ostberg will just miss next weekends rally they were supposed to race in Estonia.
However, Adapta WRT do have a good relationship with Anders Grondal and Bilbutikken WRT. And they have a younger driver in the team. Frank Tore Larsen, currently driving R2 cars. And, at last Eyvind Brynildsen raced for Adapta in Sweden.
So, it's very very unlikely that Mikkelsen, contracted to vw/Skoda UK will race any for Adapta.

Epic brain fade. I did mean Brynildsen, because I was trying to think of who drove the second Adapta car earlier in the season. I mistakenly said Mikkelsen.

Image Image
Myrvold

Post by Myrvold »

Oh, and the Rally Bohemian was stopped on SS3 when the car with Martin Semerad and Bohuslav Ceplecha crashed. The crash got a fatal outcome for Ceplacha.
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

First Roberts, now Cepelcha...why do thinks like this always seem to happen in multiples when they do at all? Unbelieveabe...

Breen considered quitting, I now also wonder what Martin Semerad will do.

Image Image
Vepe

Post by Vepe »

It looks like Breen is continuing in rallying.

http://www.craigbreen.com/news.php?&id=373
After taking 'time' to reflect, Craig has decided to continue on the path that saw him rise up the rallying ranks to win the WRC Academy Championship last year and mount a strong early season challenge in this year’s SWRC.

Craig will return to rallying next month on WRC Finland, round five of the SWRC. Partnering Craig in the co driving seat will be Irishman Paul Nagle.

Speaking about his rallying return Craig said, "This has been the hardest decision of my life. I will never fully come to terms with Gareth's death. It's only with the support of my own family and Gareth's family that I'm now ready to take the next step. I will never forget Gareth, we were firstly a driver/co driver partnership but most of all we were best friends. To honour Gareth I will be adding a new section to my website to remember him. In this section there will be the book of condolence that already carries over 2000 messages, The Eulogy from Gareth's funeral by Howard Davies, full details of how you can donate to the Gareth Roberts fund and three years of photographic and video memories”
Myrvold

Post by Myrvold »

kostas22 wrote:First Roberts, now Cepelcha...why do thinks like this always seem to happen in multiples when they do at all? Unbelieveabe...

Breen considered quitting, I now also wonder what Martin Semerad will do.

In 2009, it was 13 deaths in rallying according to a norwegian rally guy. That was the highest amount of deaths in any sport except base jumping.
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

My guess would be safety regulations regarding routes aren't so great on non-WRC rounds. Look what happened to Kubica and Roberts, nobody accounted for the end of an armco barrier sticking out, when they should have given it some sort of protection. But do they have the resources to check over every km of the rally with precision to ensure as many possible problems are countered? Maybe not at regional level...

Image Image
FMecha

Post by FMecha »

I wonder if the Ceplacha's fatal accident could have a great consequence for the sport (read: WRC itself). :|
PSN ID: FMecha_EXE | FMecha on GT Sport
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

FMecha wrote:I wonder if the Ceplacha's fatal accident could have a great consequence for the sport (read: WRC itself). :|

I doubt it. Roberts' death didn't, the sport went on after Park's death, so...no.

Rally Finland is this week, and quite frankly, I just don't care. Might as well just give the winners trophy to Loeb. Hirvonen will be slightly faster but told to move over for team orders. Latvala will be quicker than both but then crash into a tree. Solberg will be third. Mads Ostberg will be a few seconds down in 4th. Evgeny Novikov will lead home team-mate Ott Tanak for 5th and 6th respectively.

There. Rally finished. We can move on to ADAC Rally Deutschland now...oh no wait, Loeb has won all but one of those in the history of the event. That's another guaranteed win for him.

Wales Rally GB is the only interesting event left, because it's probably the most likely venue for a Solberg victory.

Image Image
TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

What?

I've never heard of those rumours until just then. :?
Biscione wrote:"Some Turkemenistani gulag repurposed for residential use" is the best way yet I've heard to describe North / East Glasgow.
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

Wizzie wrote:What?

I've never heard of those rumours until just then. :?

TF1 reported it yesterday. How they came about it I have no idea though, it's a very strange rumour.

50% off-topic...does anyone else think Harri Rovanpera looks a bit like (older) James van der Beek?

Image Image
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

This is really surprising stuff. The early leader in Rally Finland is this French guy by the name of Sebastian Loeb. And his team mate is currently in second. What an amazing turn of events so far.
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

East Londoner wrote:This is really surprising stuff. The early leader in Rally Finland is this French guy by the name of Sebastian Loeb. And his team mate is currently in second. What an amazing turn of events so far.

To be fair, Latvala hasn't crashed yet, which is surprising.

Image Image
Nuppiz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nuppiz »

My mum and sis went to watch the rally today as a part of their workplace's empolyee welfare program. They're going to see the legendary Ouninpohja stage. They went there last year as well and brought me an official Neste Oil Rally Finland cap as a souvenir!
Eurosport broadcast for the 1990 Mexican GP prequalifying:
"The Life, it looked very lifeless yet again... in fact Bruno did one, slow lap"
RonDenisDeletraz

Post by RonDenisDeletraz »

East Londoner wrote:This is really surprising stuff. The early leader in Rally Finland is this French guy by the name of Sebastian Loeb. And his team mate is currently in second. What an amazing turn of events so far.

Why I haven't watched WRC since 2009.
aerond wrote:Yes RDD, but we always knew you never had any sort of taste either :P

tommykl wrote:I have a shite car and meme sponsors, but Corrado Fabi will carry me to the promised land with the power of Lionel Richie.
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

Nuppiz wrote:My mum and sis went to watch the rally today as a part of their workplace's empolyee welfare program. They're going to see the legendary Ouninpohja stage. They went there last year as well and brought me an official Neste Oil Rally Finland cap as a souvenir!

Hopefully that is where Citroen will finally lose the lead. Solberg has always been good in Ouninpohja. Still has the stage record I believe.

How have viewing figures been doing for WRC over there Nuppiz? If they've declined sharply even in the rally-crazed Nordic region, this series is in trouble.

Image Image
Nuppiz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nuppiz »

kostas22 wrote:
Nuppiz wrote:My mum and sis went to watch the rally today as a part of their workplace's empolyee welfare program. They're going to see the legendary Ouninpohja stage. They went there last year as well and brought me an official Neste Oil Rally Finland cap as a souvenir!

Hopefully that is where Citroen will finally lose the lead. Solberg has always been good in Ouninpohja. Still has the stage record I believe.

How have viewing figures been doing for WRC over there Nuppiz? If they've declined sharply even in the rally-crazed Nordic region, this series is in trouble.

I don't know the TV figures because MTV3 MAX hasn't made them public (although they've likely dropped due to the championship being too predictable), but the attendance to the rally itself has stayed relatively high over the past few years, with about 350 000 spectators each year (of course, many people watch multiple stages, so the actual count is probably much smaller).

On the other hand though, the popularity of rally as a hobby has decreased alarmingly much because of the economic situation, so there's a chance that when the current WRC drivers retire, there is no-one to fill their shoes.
Eurosport broadcast for the 1990 Mexican GP prequalifying:
"The Life, it looked very lifeless yet again... in fact Bruno did one, slow lap"
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

And Loeb wins agai...zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Image Image
Aerospeed

Post by Aerospeed »

kostas22 wrote:And Loeb wins agai...zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Geez, you woke me up for that? You were better off letting me sleep...
Mistakes in potatoes will ALWAYS happen :P
Trulli bad puns...
IN JAIL NO ONE CAN HEAR YOU SCREAM
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

JeremyMcClean wrote:
kostas22 wrote:And Loeb wins agai...zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Geez, you woke me up for that? You were better off letting me sleep...

Image Image
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

What? This season isn't over yet? Still 5 rallies to go? Scrap that and bring on Ogier and next season please...
Colin Kolles on F111, 2011 HRT challenger: The car doesn't look too bad; it looks like a modern F1 car.
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

DanielPT wrote:What? This season isn't over yet? Still 5 rallies to go? Scrap that and bring on Ogier and next season please...

Here here. Mon eh Volkswagen.

Image Image
mario

Post by mario »

kostas22 wrote:
DanielPT wrote:What? This season isn't over yet? Still 5 rallies to go? Scrap that and bring on Ogier and next season please...

Here here. Mon eh Volkswagen.

Volkswagen's entry might not be the only major change for 2013 - Autosport are currently running an article announcing that Red Bull's media division will be taking over the commercial rights to the World Rally Championship and become its new promoter.
Red Bull Media House was one of three candidates that had been shortlisted by the FIA for the role. The other two were a South African partnership and Eurosport.

The WRC manufacturers, teams and stakeholders were told about the deal during Rally Finland earlier this month.

Citroen boss Yves Matton, whose team is sponsored by Red Bull, believes the move will be good for the sport.

"I think [Red Bull] Media House promoting the championship would be a good thing, but it would be different from Red Bull, which is the team sponsor," said Matton.

"When they do something, they do it properly and they don't just want to make a good name with the promotion. If they choose to invest in the World Rally Championship then it's because they want to make a proper job, otherwise they would not even attempt to do it."

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/101750

I guess that it is a positive move for the WRC given that Red Bull, if nothing else, are very adept at marketing their products - but it does raise a few interesting questions about the potential future relationship between Red Bull and the FIA, not to mention the nature of their involvement in the WRC as they move from sponsor to promoter.
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
RonDenisDeletraz

Post by RonDenisDeletraz »

aerond wrote:Yes RDD, but we always knew you never had any sort of taste either :P

tommykl wrote:I have a shite car and meme sponsors, but Corrado Fabi will carry me to the promised land with the power of Lionel Richie.
TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

girry

Post by girry »

a Toyota Yaris?

Sorry, but I cannot see that as the ultimate saviour of the sport.

Personally I think they should asap stop racing those tuned small supermachines with the chassis of similar small hatchback my grandma drives, and start using 'normal' big roadcars (category Imprezas) you could go and buy from the local dealer.

Plus do a million other things too, but that would be a good start at least.
when you're dead people start listening
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

The Impreza vs Lancer rivalry was massive, a huge part of the sport. Two Japanese super saloons you could buy in WRC spec minus the extra safety stuff and specialist gearbox etc. DS3 vs Fiesta is rather tame and boring in comparison.

I think they should ban 4WD. And force people to run RWD again. It will stop this attitude of keeping the car as neat as possible and encourage old-school driving to return. Loeb won't be so successful in this case!

Image Image
girry

Post by girry »

nah, Loeb will be successful no matter what these guys do to the cars.

But even his dominance wouldn't bore me as much if the cars are proper.
when you're dead people start listening
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

giraurd wrote:nah, Loeb will be successful no matter what these guys do to the cars.

I don't believe so. His driving style is based on being smooth and precise. If suddenly this is no longer the fastest way (as it was in the Escort days), he won't beat everyone so easily. Latvala and Solberg will have a field day. If McRae was still around it would suit him perfectly.

Image Image
mario

Post by mario »

I wasn't expecting Toyota to return to rallying - by comparison to the embarrassingly badly kept secret that they were heading to Le Mans, that story kind of flew under the radar. It is at least reassuring to hear that there are manufacturers wanting to join, rather than leave, the world of rallying, but at the same time you wonder whether or not Toyota will have the patience to work their way into producing a competitive car (some of their sojourns, such as in sports car racing, have been very brief affairs).

kostas22 wrote:
giraurd wrote:nah, Loeb will be successful no matter what these guys do to the cars.

I don't believe so. His driving style is based on being smooth and precise. If suddenly this is no longer the fastest way (as it was in the Escort days), he won't beat everyone so easily. Latvala and Solberg will have a field day. If McRae was still around it would suit him perfectly.

The smoothness of Loeb's driving style, for a rally driver, is rather remarkable - it is often cited as the reason why he has also proven to be a very effective closed circuit driver, since his driving style is closer to that than the traditional model for a rally driver. However, the fact that he has been able to switch back and forth between closed circuit racing and rallying does hint at the fact that he is a quite adaptable driver - if the fastest style of driving were to move more towards a "wild and ragged" method, then I expect that, although he might not be quite as dominant, he would still feature fairly prominently.
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

mario wrote:

I wasn't expecting Toyota to return to rallying - by comparison to the embarrassingly badly kept secret that they were heading to Le Mans, that story kind of flew under the radar. It is at least reassuring to hear that there are manufacturers wanting to join, rather than leave, the world of rallying, but at the same time you wonder whether or not Toyota will have the patience to work their way into producing a competitive car (some of their sojourns, such as in sports car racing, have been very brief affairs).

I wonder if they'll even run a factory WRC effort? It seems from the article that the Yaris is being aimed as an ideal starter or customer entry-level vehicle, and not a full-blown attempt like that of VW. It would be great to have four manufacturers though, and for the Polo and Yaris to be competitive.
I want my MTV...Simtek Ford

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

Image Image
mario

Post by mario »

He also sent a protest to the FIA, since the FIA's WRC Commission voted in favour of the teams request to change drivers during the season (the regulations only allow driver changes if the WRC Commission approves the deal).
However, according to Autosport the FIA are rather reluctant to get involved in this particular legal argument as they feel that it would be improper for them to effectively interfere with the internal policies of the team. The upshot, therefore, is that the FIA is not expected to take any action against either side, nor are they likely to become involved in legal proceedings. http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/101938
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

mario wrote:

He also sent a protest to the FIA, since the FIA's WRC Commission voted in favour of the teams request to change drivers during the season (the regulations only allow driver changes if the WRC Commission approves the deal).
However, according to Autosport the FIA are rather reluctant to get involved in this particular legal argument as they feel that it would be improper for them to effectively interfere with the internal policies of the team. The upshot, therefore, is that the FIA is not expected to take any action against either side, nor are they likely to become involved in legal proceedings. http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/101938

This isn't a case for the FIA. He should be takiing this up with Portuguese authorities as a breach of employment law. That's his problem, he's using the wrong solution.

Image Image
mario

Post by mario »

kostas22 wrote:
mario wrote:

This isn't a case for the FIA. He should be takiing this up with Portuguese authorities as a breach of employment law. That's his problem, he's using the wrong solution.

I think that the reason he complained to the FIA is in part the fact that they sanctioned the driver change, and I think partially because the FIA has not changed the name of the team on their official entry forms despite the fact that he has withdrawn permission from the team to use that name. The former point, as you say, is a question of employment law and something that should be hammered out between him and the team (unless the team has broken the sporting regulations whilst kicking him out of the team), although he might have a point when it comes to the use of the current team name even if he has withdrawn permission.