The Ali Dia Football/Soccer Thread

The place for anything and everything else to do with F1 history, different forms of motorsport, and all other randomness
WaffleCat

Re: The Ali Dia Football/Soccer Thread

Post by WaffleCat »

This wrote:
Freeze-O-Kimi wrote:
This wrote:Also, Australia lost against HWNSNBM.

I didn't know the Australian team had changed nationality to compete as Austria ;)

You know, it's a punny joke, you should rofl.

Well, they did compete in Eurovision...
My friend's USB drive spoiled, spilled tea on her laptop and had a bird poo in her hand.

What did she do in her past life to deserve this?

Signup for the Random Racing League, Season TWO!!!
Dj_bereta

Post by Dj_bereta »

Do you thought Brazil getting eliminated by Peru and Uruguay by Venezuela are the most rejectful results in Copa América? Think again! Mexico was thrashed by Chile in the quarter finals by 7x0. Second worst defeat in all Mexican team history!

Reject of Copa América 2016: México.
Waiting for Lotus hiring Johnny Cecotto jr.
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

By the power of Odin, Iceland shall progress to the knockout rounds :glasses:
Novitopoli wrote:Everytime someone orders at Pizza Hut, an Italian dies.
Novitopoli wrote:Juve's Triplete: Calciopoli, doping & Mafia connections.

Image Image
watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

Biscione wrote:

By the power of Odin, Iceland shall progress to the knockout rounds :glasses:

I hope so! A point will do, but its always difficult playing for a draw. Austria still have a shot at making it through themselves.

Meanwhile in the USA:
Watka - you know, the swimming horses guy
UncreativeUsername37

Post by UncreativeUsername37 »

TODAY IS A GREAT DAY

:dance: x 16
Rob Dylan wrote:Mercedes paying homage to the other W12 chassis by breaking down 30 minutes in
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

So yeah, this happened.

:dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
Alextrax52

Post by Alextrax52 »

So uh Cristiano I thought you said Iceland weren't going to do much at these championships. Given our tendency to bottle it at tournaments they could easily go further than you into the quarter finals

To compound his misery Lionel Messi could actually win something for Argentina. They certainly are playing like a team determined to win an international trophy
Enforcer
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Enforcer »

Revenge is coming...
Nessafox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nessafox »

Irish fans bothering innocent French citizens with Westlife songs... hooliganism taking on scary proportions it seems :D . Also can some of the British/Irish people explain me the story behind the much heared 'Will Grigg's on fire'?

Interesting to see Odin (and his mates like Thor) and HWNSNBM are helping their teams a bit. Looks like they made a deal to meet each other again in the finals and then decide once and for all who's the most epic God of all time.
I don't know what i want and i want it now!
tommykl

Post by tommykl »

This wrote: Also can some of the British/Irish people explain me the story behind the much heared 'Will Grigg's on fire'?

Will Grigg is a striker for Wigan Athletic. Some guy made a chant to the tune of Free From Desire, Wigan went mad for it, the whole country went mad for it, and now it's a big thing.

I think it's alright.
kevinbotz wrote:Cantonese is a completely nonsensical f*cking alien language masquerading as some grossly bastardised form of Chinese

Gonzo wrote:Wasn't there some sort of communisim in the East part of Germany?
AdrianBelmonte_

Post by AdrianBelmonte_ »

This wrote:Interesting to see Odin (and his mates like Thor) and HWNSNBM are helping their teams a bit. Looks like they made a deal to meet each other again in the finals and then decide once and for all who's the most epic God of all time.

It's all a masterplan made by Loki (sic) and Gabor Kiraly's joggers
#FoxesFansHooligans

#HaasShouldBeSoLucky
Alextrax52

Post by Alextrax52 »

tommykl wrote:
This wrote: Also can some of the British/Irish people explain me the story behind the much heared 'Will Grigg's on fire'?

Will Grigg is a striker for Wigan Athletic. Some guy made a chant to the tune of Free From Desire, Wigan went mad for it, the whole country went mad for it, and now it's a big thing.

I think it's alright.

I think he scored some 25 goals for Wigan as they won the League 1 title so it's a perfect match as well.
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

Freeze-O-Kimi wrote:
tommykl wrote:

I think it's alright.

I think he scored some 25 goals for Wigan as they won the League 1 title so it's a perfect match as well.

Newcastle fans are laying claim to the chant, as they believe they started it for Mitrovic, "Mitro's on fire"

In fact, the original chant is about Luke Freeman; and it originated from Stevenage.

Anyway, as he was a Birmingham City youth player, I approve of this song, plus it's one of the best football chants i've heard.
I like the way Snrub thinks!
AdrianBelmonte_

Anyway, can't wait to hear the next thing from Turkey and Barça fans

ARDA'S ON FIRE, HIS OWN TEAM IS TERRIFIED...
#FoxesFansHooligans

#HaasShouldBeSoLucky
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

Forget Leicester City, this was the greatest moment in the history of football.

:dance:

Image Image
DOSBoot

Post by DOSBoot »

Well, my nation's team didn't get the 3rd place. :( But at least we put up a much better fight than we did with Argentina a few days ago. Hopefully this means better things to come for us in the future.
Proud supporter of the United States 2nd Amendment.

2012 Predicament Predictions Champion.
Nessafox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nessafox »

And oh, in the Meantime somewhere two weeks ago New Zealand won the Oceanian cup again. That's a tournament as well, really. The finals were won against Papua New Guinea on penalties. It must be said Papua New Guinea improved a lot in form this campaign. Lets support them to make the world cup, right?
Nessafox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nessafox »

Sorry HWNSNBM. But yeah this is what happens if you give Belgium loads of space.
UncreativeUsername37

:dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:
Rob Dylan wrote:Mercedes paying homage to the other W12 chassis by breaking down 30 minutes in
watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

ENGLAND IS DEAD
WeirdKerr
Location: on the edge of nowhere with a ludicrous grid penalty.....

Post by WeirdKerr »

Eyjafjallajökull strikes again!
Samster

Post by Samster »

watka wrote:ENGLAND IS DEAD

Cue the England 'fanbase' tears. :D

Hope Iceland go all the way. :D
Nessafox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nessafox »

Can the guys from Brussels make the Brexit complete against Wales?

But seriously, England gets more rejectful with every tournament. And i can see Iceland beating France as well! Germany or Italy would be more difficult for them though.
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

I supported Iceland, because I wanted to be on the winning side of England leaving Europe this time.

Only Dier, Walker and Rashford will come away from Euro 2016 with their reputations intact.
Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
Dj_bereta

Post by Dj_bereta »

Chile showing is a real deal for the next world cup. Russia 2018 will be a promising world cup. Chile, Wales, Iceland and other underdogs. Brazil, Holland and Spain struggling.

My Reject of 100th Copa América podium:

3rd Messi: For being a sore loser and for retiring from Argentina team just because he lost again in a final match. Good job, the Argentineans will keep Maradona as greatest player ever.

2nd Brazil: Getting knocked out in a group with Peru, Equator and Haiti, failed to score a single goal against Equator and Peru and the only team to suffer a goal from Haiti. The 7x1 against Haiti was a small revenge over 2014 world cup, but this wasn't enough. A team without identity and a heavy dependency of Neymar jr and heavy pressure from supporters and the media are signs which Brazilian team still in the dark age.

1st Mexico: 7x0... nothing more to say. And Chile had opportunity to score more goals. Osorio was a mistake.
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

England out of Europe twice in one week. Irony. It's a bitch.

Not sure why some people are surprised. England are crap at football and have been for years and years.
Just For One Day...
watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

Ataxia wrote:I supported Iceland, because I wanted to be on the winning side of England leaving Europe this time.

Only Dier, Walker and Rashford will come away from Euro 2016 with their reputations intact.

Not sure about Dier and Walker to be honest, Walker was shocking defensively and Walker, Dier, Alli, Rose and Kane all in the team you'd expect the team to play more as a unit given they play together every week.
Nuppiz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nuppiz »

'Nuff said.
Eurosport broadcast for the 1990 Mexican GP prequalifying:
"The Life, it looked very lifeless yet again... in fact Bruno did one, slow lap"
Barbazza

Post by Barbazza »

Personally, as an Englishman who gave up supporting the England team about 15 years ago, I was laughing my head off.

I never did understand why Roy wouldn't pick Vardy - OK, he didn't play brilliantly but he was better than most of them when he came on. Rashford obviously escapes criticism. But Sterling and Sturridge - jeez, they are so obviously utter crap!

I used to like Roy but then he steadfastly refused to pick players from my team even when their form was good, so why should I care about them being knocked out?

Cresswell is a much better left-back than Rose and offers more going forward, Noble would have played better than <insert name of any midfielder of your choice here> and even though I'm not his biggest fan, Carroll would have offered something different as a substitute.

Well done Iceland. I don't think they'll beat France though - they were my pick to win beforehand and even though their defence is a bit iffy, I haven't changed my mind.
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

Barbazza wrote:I used to like Roy but then he steadfastly refused to pick players from my team even when their form was good, so why should I care about them being knocked out?

That's always been the case, you're probably only noticing it more now because West Ham have become a good side, and for some reason are the exception to his philosophy of 'pick players from teams high up the league table regardless of form'. Hence how Tom Cleverley remained in the squad for so long.

I also couldn't agree more about Mark Noble.
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

watka wrote:
Ataxia wrote:I supported Iceland, because I wanted to be on the winning side of England leaving Europe this time.

Not sure about Dier and Walker to be honest, Walker was shocking defensively and Walker, Dier, Alli, Rose and Kane all in the team you'd expect the team to play more as a unit given they play together every week.

But Hodgson's asking them to do different things. Walker and Rose also have to work with Cahill and Smalling at the back, who don't work as well as Alderweireld and Vertonghen do at club level. They're also playing in a system that isn't quite the same.

Barbazza wrote:Cresswell is a much better left-back than Rose and offers more going forward, Noble would have played better than <insert name of any midfielder of your choice here> and even though I'm not his biggest fan, Carroll would have offered something different as a substitute.

You'd be forgiven for thinking Roy had a vendetta against West Ham, as Cresswell didn't even get a look in whilst Noble and Carroll were overlooked. Vardy didn't look at his best as England were dominating possession; Vardy's game comes on the counter attack. My biggest concern is the central defence; Cahill and Smalling did not look comfortable together, and I don't buy into the John Stones hype one bit.

In my opinion, the next England manager needs to stop throwing the big names together and hoping they work; assess the credentials of all the current players and put together a style that works. If we have a big nucleus of Tottenham players, then use a style that they're comfortable with and build players into it who fit. Don't be afraid to pick players from the likes of West Ham or Crystal Palace if they fit in. Wales have taken that idea, and Chris Coleman's created a sense of unity between the players.

The choices of Wilshere, Henderson et al were also poor. Danny Drinkwater and Mark Noble should have been on that plane. The new manager must be able to bring a sense of team spirit to the squad at short notice, and therefore, I suggest the crazy notion of bringing in Tim Sherwood.
Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

Ataxia wrote:*England discussions*

And, for the love of christ, promote Fraser Forster to first choice.

Image Image
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

Biscione wrote:
Ataxia wrote:*England discussions*

And, for the love of christ, promote Fraser Forster to first choice.

I support that notion completely.

Also, since Ataxia mentioned Crystal Palace, i'd have seriously considered Scott Dann, we could have done with another centre half, and I firmly believe he fits the bill.
Nessafox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nessafox »

One does forget it, but theres actualy already Champions league football played this week.
Its of course only the lowest 8 countries, but that's what interest us! Lincoln Red Imps (Gibraltar), Tre Penne (San Marino) and B36Tórshavn (Faroe Islands) have lost their game, Valetta (Malta) has won their, and FC Santa Coloma (Andorra) drew their match. Somehow the Welsh competition is stuck in that first round too, which in sharp contrast to the fortunes of their national team. Will the return games bring surprises?
Europa League first round has played as well, but those are simply too many matches to review. The most important result is that Europa FC from Gibraltar (interesting name for a British team :D ) won their game.
UncreativeUsername37

If Italy's player they subbed in specifically to take penalties didn't miss, they would've won.
AdrianBelmonte_

This night is the Big Game...
#FoxesFansHooligans

#HaasShouldBeSoLucky
Dj_bereta

Post by Dj_bereta »

What I'm seeing is: Iceland is Mexico/Brazil, France is Chile/Germany.
Nessafox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nessafox »

Well it's over for Iceland.

But still admire them, as at no point, they looked like they gave up. So adorably naive <3
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

And that was that. Congrats to Portugal I guess, commiserations to Les Bleus.

If you're upset about the result, here's a little Portuguese lad consoling a distraught Frenchman.

Miguel98

Post by Miguel98 »

Cried like a small baby. Incredible feeling. Aleluia!
Mario on Gutierrez after the Italian Grand Prix wrote:He's no longer just a bit of a tool, he's the entire tool set.

18-07-2015: Forever in our hearts Jules.
25-08-2015: Forever in our hearts Justin.