2014 Canadian Grand Prix Thread

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
LellaLombardi

Re: 2014 Canadian Grand Prix Thread

Post by LellaLombardi »

It's interesting that even though Perez is judged to have caused the accident and many (not all) of us agree with that, we are rallying round him more than Massa. Normally we'd award a ROTR to someone who was on the brink of winning or getting a podium and binned it. It does show how a driver's personality can sway our opinions.
Maria De Villotta will forever be badass. Rest in Peace.
Pulling for Schumi and Jules.
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

LellaLombardi wrote:It's interesting that even though Perez is judged to have caused the accident and many (not all) of us agree with that, we are rallying round him more than Massa.

I'd say that was down to the aforementioned noise Massa appears to keep making about it. It does bode well for some tension at Austria, though, and if it does then I personally will find it a refreshing change from the Hamilton/Rosberg guff.
Just For One Day...
Aerospeed

Post by Aerospeed »

CoopsII wrote:
LellaLombardi wrote:It's interesting that even though Perez is judged to have caused the accident and many (not all) of us agree with that, we are rallying round him more than Massa.

I'd say that was down to the aforementioned noise Massa appears to keep making about it. It does bode well for some tension at Austria, though, and if it does then I personally will find it a refreshing change from the Hamilton/Rosberg guff.

Also, Max's crash was more rejectful, since he took out his own teammate. And it was on lap one, before he could make any impact.
Mistakes in potatoes will ALWAYS happen :P
Trulli bad puns...
IN JAIL NO ONE CAN HEAR YOU SCREAM
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Aerospeed wrote:Also, Max's crash was more rejectful, since he took out his own teammate. And it was on lap one, before he could make any impact.

Sure did make a great impact though, didn't he?! ;) :lol:
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
James1978

Post by James1978 »

Tell you something I just realised.......an HRT driver has won a race!!!! :D
"Poor old Warwick takes it from behind all throughout this season". :) (Tony Jardine, 1988)
mario

Post by mario »

CoopsII wrote:

I think that it is also the fact that both sides have been unusually combative in backing their drivers, with both sides taking to Twitter and similar platforms to air their grievances and provide photographs which they claim backs their arguments.

I'd agree that Massa's attitude has not helped though - whilst the photographs that have come out do suggest that Perez, though not malicious in his actions, is perhaps more guilty than Massa, the fact that Massa is publicly pushing for such harsh action against him does seem to have riled quite a few people. After all, we saw how angry he was at Kobayashi, even though it later transpired that Kobayashi was the victim of a brake failure - I think that Massa did eventually apologise for his remarks, but not until several days after Kobayashi's brake failure was announced.
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

It's extremely hard to have any sympathy for Felipe. Although, maybe he's a little bit frustrated when comparing to how some people reacted to Rubinho's own complaints - while Barrichello got sympathy from some quarters, it seems Massa's own 'issues' of being a number two at Ferrari are not responded to in the same way by the public.

Certainly, it's the attitude most Brazilians I'm aware of had. They find Rubinho likeable, but don't have the time of day for Massa. He's talentless, ungrateful and unpleasant. At least when Rubinho whines, it's quite funny to watch. Massa is just an arsehole.

I don't think Massa will be missed by many when he retires. I don't think Globo will be calling up asking for his services either. It's not that he's devoid of charisma that makes him so unlikeable, it's that he's a bit of a hack, who likes to think he is a bigshot just because of his Ferrari stint. I suppose it's like the reason people dislike Hamilton, albeit to a smaller degree. Bigs himself up, complains about everyone else incessantly, and generally makes a nuisance of himself wherever possible.

Things like the Bottas incident in Malaysia cloud the opinion of him further. He spent years willingly being Alonso's whipping boy, and suddenly decided that the change of teams meant he no longer had to listen to team orders. Some people respect those who ignore team orders and gun for the win as their approach to racing, but to say that is Massa's approach is simply a lie. He brags about how he'd defy team orders again, like he's some sort of daredevil driver. It's so stupid. The time for that was at Ferrari.

Montreal was a racing incident, but I'd really not care if Massa had been penalised instead of Perez. Call it karma maybe? Its certainly what it'd feel like to me.
Novitopoli wrote:Everytime someone orders at Pizza Hut, an Italian dies.
Novitopoli wrote:Juve's Triplete: Calciopoli, doping & Mafia connections.

Image Image
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

Biscione wrote:He's talentless, ungrateful and unpleasant...
...Massa is just an arsehole...
...I don't think Massa will be missed by many when he retires...
...It's not that he's devoid of charisma that makes him so unlikeable, it's that he's a bit of a hack, who likes to think he is a bigshot just because of his Ferrari stint...

I don't understand how the Massa/Perez collision got so bigged up to be what it is! I mean I lost interest after the race anyway when they said that both were fine. Racing incident, fine. Then the stewards put on a penalty, then both Force India and Williams defend their driver's sides, then the forums erupt with arguments and insults, then there's protests and riots on the streets of Rio de Janeiro because of this! Blown out of proportion much?
Murray Walker at the 1997 Austrian Grand Prix wrote:The other [Stewart] driver, who nobody's been paying attention to, because he's disappointing, is Jan Magnussen.
Felipe Nasr - the least forgettable F1 driver!
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Rob Dylan wrote: then there's protests and riots on the streets of Rio de Janeiro because of this! Blown out of proportion much?

Please tell me you made that last bit up? Surely you cannot be serious?
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

dr-baker wrote:
Rob Dylan wrote: then there's protests and riots on the streets of Rio de Janeiro because of this! Blown out of proportion much?

Keeping you on your toes :P
I get told millions of times not to exaggerate
Murray Walker at the 1997 Austrian Grand Prix wrote:The other [Stewart] driver, who nobody's been paying attention to, because he's disappointing, is Jan Magnussen.
Felipe Nasr - the least forgettable F1 driver!
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

dr-baker wrote:

dr-baker, STEP AWAY FROM THE LIBRARY!
Just For One Day...
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

CoopsII wrote:
dr-baker wrote:

dr-baker, STEP AWAY FROM THE LIBRARY!

But I am no longer in the library!!!
MCard LOLA
lgaquino

Post by lgaquino »

hahaha somehow I get the impression i'm not the only brazilian here. interesting ;)

Now,
Things like the Bottas incident in Malaysia cloud the opinion of him further. He spent years willingly being Alonso's whipping boy, and suddenly decided that the change of teams meant he no longer had to listen to team orders.

Let's not forget that, despite all that, he called for team orders during the race... and, if I recall correctly, he also did so on the first race after malaysia!!
talk about double standards
go_Rubens
Location: A raging river somewhere in the Eastern (cough) United States (cough)

Post by go_Rubens »

Felipe Baby, Stay Cool

Albert Einstein wrote:Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
roblo97

Post by roblo97 »

This is great news for Perez was not at fault in my opinion.
Mexicola wrote:
shinji wrote:
Mexicola wrote: I'd rather listen to a dog lick its balls. Each to their own, I guess.

Does listening to a dog licking its balls get you excited?

That's between me and my internet service provider.

One of those journalist types.
270 Tube stations in 18:42:50!