2013 Silly Season Thread

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
Cynon

Re: 2013 Silly Season Thread

Post by Cynon »

Ataxia [BacLettNinj] wrote:

She's got a point though...I like Petrov, and think he deserves a go in at least a car like a Force India or a Williams. But...that's the way the cookie crumbles, I guess.

Oh, absolutely, she has a point, and IMO Petrov deserves the Force India seat more than Kobayashi and certainly moreso than Senna's surname/cash.
Check out the TM Master Cup Series on Youtube...
...or check out my random retro IndyCar clips.

Dr. Helmut Marko wrote: Finally we have an Australian in the team who can start a race well and challenge Vettel.
roblo97

Post by roblo97 »

Senna is only in f1 because of his surname whereas Petrov is making f1 popular in Russia
Mexicola wrote:
shinji wrote:
Mexicola wrote: I'd rather listen to a dog lick its balls. Each to their own, I guess.

Does listening to a dog licking its balls get you excited?

That's between me and my internet service provider.

One of those journalist types.
270 Tube stations in 18:42:50!
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

roblomas52 wrote:Senna is only in f1 because of his surname whereas Petrov is making f1 popular in Russia

Wouldn't agree with you there. A name doesn't get you 2nd place in GP2 and 3rd in British F3. The name has certainly helped, but he's not ONLY in there because of it.

Plus, it would seem apparent that Petrov hasn't made a massive dent in F1's popularity in Russia. I think the race in Sochi will actually make more of an impact. However, having a Russian driver wouldn't hurt...
Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

roblomas52 wrote:Senna is only in f1 because of his surname whereas Petrov is making f1 popular in Russia

Wouldn't agree with you there. A name doesn't get you 2nd place in GP2 and 3rd in British F3. The name has certainly helped, but he's not ONLY in there because of it.

Plus, it would seem apparent that Petrov hasn't made a massive dent in F1's popularity in Russia. I think the race in Sochi will actually make more of an impact. However, having a Russian driver wouldn't hurt...

I'd argue that the Senna name has hampered Bruno somewhat, especially in his early days, because his family banned him from motorsport for a while after Ayrton's death, so he was a bot of a late-starter in comparison to drivers around him. But equally the marketability of his name has obviously aided him in situations too. It wasn't enough to get him the Brawn seat in 2009 though remember.
I want my MTV...Simtek Ford

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

No, I believe millions of sponsorship dollars also played a part.
Sebastian Vettel wrote:If I was good at losing I wouldn't be in Formula 1.
Everything's great.
I'm not surprised about anything.
CarlosFerreira

Post by CarlosFerreira »

And the Captain Obvious Award goes to...
Stay home, Colin Kolles!
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

Aah, she cant start kicking off with that line about F1, Fernando has known that for years http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dRV1SQwzONM
Just For One Day...
girry

Post by girry »

I don't really see why it makes the driver worse for people that Senna has financial backing partly because of his name, compared to say Pérez or Maldonado or Petrov because of their nationalities, etc...
when you're dead people start listening
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

giraurd wrote:I don't really see why it makes the driver worse for people that Senna has financial backing partly because of his name, compared to say Pérez or Maldonado or Petrov because of their nationalities, etc...

I don't care that Senna has financial backing. That doesn't enter the equation for me at all. My singular problem with him is that on raw pace he was as far behind Maldonado as Massa was behind Alonso in the first half of the year. Perez deserves to be in F1 because he's had several strong showings - sure, I can understand why people think he's not top tier material, but he has certainly justified that he deserves a place on his talent alone. Maldonado is more of a sticking point for some, but I firmly believe he is fast enough to be in F1 - Monaco 2011, Barcelona and Singapore last year are evidence enough - and he was less crashtastic in the latter part of the year. Petrov again had some strong showings in his time with Renault - Turkey, Hungary and Abu Dhabi 2010, and Australia 2011. He might've been destroyed by Kubica in 2010, but frankly I think Kubica put on a world-champion level performance that year and most drivers would've been hard-pressed to come close to him.

Senna, on the other hand, despite scoring in twice as many races as Maldonado, scored less points than him. Despite all of the points Maldonado lost over 2012, he still had enough to beat Senna. And Senna never once looked like troubling the front-runners at any one point during the season. I don't see any reason why you would want to hire Senna other than his sponsorship.
Everything's great.
GwilymJJames

Post by GwilymJJames »

Senna is out - he's taken a World Endurance Championship seat.
WARNING: Vettel fan.

Shut up Eccles!
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

GwilymJJames wrote:Senna is out - he's taken a World Endurance Championship seat.

East Londoner is probably celebrating as we speak.
I like the way Snrub thinks!
mario

Post by mario »

redbulljack14 wrote:
GwilymJJames wrote:Senna is out - he's taken a World Endurance Championship seat.

He certainly is already celebrating in the thread about sportscar racing...
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
CarlosFerreira

Post by CarlosFerreira »

Damn.
Stay home, Colin Kolles!
Klon
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Klon »

redbulljack14 wrote:

So am I. No more Senna, it's the best thing to happen in motorsports this year so far.
Cynon

Post by Cynon »

giraurd wrote:I don't really see why it makes the driver worse for people that Senna has financial backing partly because of his name, compared to say Pérez or Maldonado or Petrov because of their nationalities, etc...

Perez, Maldolan, and Petrov have provided a lot more excitement as far as this forum is concerned. The only thing Senna has done for this forum is drive an HRT and earn a Reject of the Race while driving for HRT. After he left HRT I don't think anyone around here would care about Senna.

Speaking of Senna, something just occurred to me, if the pre-2003 points system was still used, would Senna be the driver with the most race starts without a point? If not, how close would he be from pinching that award from Luca Badoer?

Dr. Helmut Marko wrote: Finally we have an Australian in the team who can start a race well and challenge Vettel.
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

Cynon wrote:

Perez, Maldolan, and Petrov have provided a lot more excitement as far as this forum is concerned. The only thing Senna has done for this forum is drive an HRT and earn a Reject of the Race while driving for HRT. After he left HRT I don't think anyone around here would care about Senna.

Speaking of Senna, something just occurred to me, if the pre-2003 points system was still used, would Senna be the driver with the most race starts without a point? If not, how close would he be from pinching that award from Luca Badoer?

He'd have scored 1 point. He finished 6h in Malaysia.
I like the way Snrub thinks!
Cynon

Post by Cynon »

redbulljack14 wrote:
Cynon wrote:

Well then bathplug him, there goes what little caring I had left for him out the window.

Bad reason, I know, but he didn't fail enough for me to want him to stay in F1.

Aerospeed

Post by Aerospeed »

Cynon wrote:
redbulljack14 wrote:
Cynon wrote:

Well then bathplug him, there goes what little caring I had left for him out the window.

Bad reason, I know, but he didn't fail enough for me to want him to stay in F1.

He's still a classified F1 Reject, so I for one will look forward to his inevitable F1 Reject Profile!

In a decade... : /
Mistakes in potatoes will ALWAYS happen :P
Trulli bad puns...
IN JAIL NO ONE CAN HEAR YOU SCREAM
Cynon

Post by Cynon »

Which is another reason I don't want him in a Force India. What if he unrejectifies himself? Then we can't have a Senna in reject status!

RonDenisDeletraz

Post by RonDenisDeletraz »

I desprately don't want Senna to ever be a profiled reject as is just wouldn't seem right to me. I also think he seems like a good person and the main reason behind the gap between him and Maldonado was his poor qualifying. Also he suffered from the fact that he was getting screwed over for and was eventually replaced by someone who I don't think is any better. So all the constant Senna hate is annoying and not all of it is justified.
aerond wrote:Yes RDD, but we always knew you never had any sort of taste either :P

tommykl wrote:I have a shite car and meme sponsors, but Corrado Fabi will carry me to the promised land with the power of Lionel Richie.
the Masked Lapwing

Post by the Masked Lapwing »

eurobrun wrote:So all the constant Senna hate is annoying and not all of it is justified.

You do realise we can say the exact same thing about you and Bottas right?
R.I.P.
GM HOLDEN
1948-2017
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

eurobrun wrote:I desprately don't want Senna to ever be a profiled reject as is just wouldn't seem right to me. I also think he seems like a good person and the main reason behind the gap between him and Maldonado was his poor qualifying. Also he suffered from the fact that he was getting screwed over for and was eventually replaced by someone who I don't think is any better. So all the constant Senna hate is annoying and not all of it is justified.

Yeah, he is a nice guy. But I don't see how that should excuse him for being so far off of Maldonado's pace. Yeah, he's a terrible qualifier, but that doesn't excuse him never once mixing it right at the sharp end in the race like Maldonado did on multiple occasions. Or, as I have repeatedly stated, being as far off Maldonado's pace the whole year as Massa was off of Alonso's pace in the first half of the season. I don't see how any of this is unjustified. Yeah, it might be annoying. You know what else is annoying? People insisting that he has talent enough to remain in F1 when he was slower than Massa (remember, Massa did improve in the last few races, something Senna failed to do) who many people, including myself, have been calling Ferrari to drop, or even leave F1 altogether.
Everything's great.
RonDenisDeletraz

the Masked Lapwing wrote:
eurobrun wrote:So all the constant Senna hate is annoying and not all of it is justified.

You do realise we can say the exact same thing about you and Bottas right?

1. I have not given my opinion on him anywhere near as much recently
2. I am only one person, several people on this forum constantly hate on Senna
3. I will not say that I dislike anyone now without giving a solid reason

And I was worse about GRSJN at the start of 2012

BlindCaveSalamander wrote:Yeah, he is a nice guy. But I don't see how that should excuse him for being so far off of Maldonado's pace.

Someone is seemingly forgetting Maldonado's lack of consistency. Yes there were definitely races where he dominated over Senna but there were also a few races where he was matched or even beaten by Senna, such was the extent of Pastor's inconsistency. I will still think that if Senna qualified well then he would have unrejectified himself.
aerond wrote:Yes RDD, but we always knew you never had any sort of taste either :P

tommykl wrote:I have a shite car and meme sponsors, but Corrado Fabi will carry me to the promised land with the power of Lionel Richie.
mario

Post by mario »

BlindCaveSalamander wrote:
eurobrun wrote:I desprately don't want Senna to ever be a profiled reject as is just wouldn't seem right to me. I also think he seems like a good person and the main reason behind the gap between him and Maldonado was his poor qualifying. Also he suffered from the fact that he was getting screwed over for and was eventually replaced by someone who I don't think is any better. So all the constant Senna hate is annoying and not all of it is justified.

Yeah, he is a nice guy. But I don't see how that should excuse him for being so far off of Maldonado's pace. Yeah, he's a terrible qualifier, but that doesn't excuse him never once mixing it right at the sharp end in the race like Maldonado did on multiple occasions. Or, as I have repeatedly stated, being as far off Maldonado's pace the whole year as Massa was off of Alonso's pace in the first half of the season. I don't see how any of this is unjustified. Yeah, it might be annoying. You know what else is annoying? People insisting that he has talent enough to remain in F1 when he was slower than Massa (remember, Massa did improve in the last few races, something Senna failed to do) who many people, including myself, have been calling Ferrari to drop, or even leave F1 altogether.

Statistically, it is true that Bruno was a worse qualifier than Massa in terms of the average time difference between himself and Maldonado (the only driver who was worse in that respect was Karthikeyan).
Compounding that is the fact that, on average, he tended to lose slightly more positions on the opening lap than Maldonado would (he'd lose 3 positions on average to 2 for Maldonado), which, given that he would qualify around 14-15th on average, means that he'd often slip back behind the Caterham drivers on the opening lap and then get stuck behind them for about half a dozen laps.

Now, could Bruno have performed better if he could qualify well? I will grant you that, perhaps, he could have - one of his best performances came in the Hungarian GP, where he qualified 9th (the only time he started in the top 10 on merit) and finished 7th, and the fact that Williams did disrupt so many of his practise sessions would have hurt his chances of improving his performance (losing nearly a third of his practise time to Bottas), although that could also be viewed as a vote of no confidence in him by the team. Equally, it is true that Bruno was, on average, more consistent in terms of performance than Maldonado, but the problem is that Maldonado's peaks in performance were much, much higher than Bruno's peaks in performance.

Overall, though, you get the impression that Bruno was not a bad driver, but not an especially brilliant driver either - I can recall some bemusement amongst the motorsport press when Bruno's name was mentioned in connection with Honda in 2008 as a potential replacement for Rubens, since the reporters then seemed to think that Bruno was a competent but otherwise unremarkable driver based on his performances in GP2.
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
Svenko Wankerov

Post by Svenko Wankerov »

Klon wrote:So am I. No more Senna, it's the best thing to happen in motorsports this year so far.

Hello, what are you chaps talking about?

Meh I don't care enough either way about Bruno to get in a fit over whether he is in F1 or not. He is a nice guy that wasn't fast enough for F1 and I rather see what Bottas could do. There is a much bigger cancer at Force India that F1 needs to rid itself of.
Backmarker

Post by Backmarker »

So, Razia has been confirmed at Marussia (to no one's surprise). Thank you to Marussia for giving so many potential rejects their chance!
The Iceman Waiteth
What if Kimi Räikkönen hadn't got his chance in 2001?
girry

Post by girry »

BlindCaveSalamander wrote:

I don't care that Senna has financial backing. That doesn't enter the equation for me at all. My singular problem with him is that on raw pace he was as far behind Maldonado as Massa was behind Alonso in the first half of the year. Perez deserves to be in F1 because he's had several strong showings - sure, I can understand why people think he's not top tier material, but he has certainly justified that he deserves a place on his talent alone. Maldonado is more of a sticking point for some, but I firmly believe he is fast enough to be in F1 - Monaco 2011, Barcelona and Singapore last year are evidence enough - and he was less crashtastic in the latter part of the year. Petrov again had some strong showings in his time with Renault - Turkey, Hungary and Abu Dhabi 2010, and Australia 2011. He might've been destroyed by Kubica in 2010, but frankly I think Kubica put on a world-champion level performance that year and most drivers would've been hard-pressed to come close to him.

Senna, on the other hand, despite scoring in twice as many races as Maldonado, scored less points than him. Despite all of the points Maldonado lost over 2012, he still had enough to beat Senna. And Senna never once looked like troubling the front-runners at any one point during the season. I don't see any reason why you would want to hire Senna other than his sponsorship.

Yup, Senna was clumsy and slow-ish yeah, and he didn't seem as good as the other drivers mentioned either.

It just seems he gets way too much hate compared to any other regular sponsorship-bringing driver who is a bit slower and a bit clumsier than others, and that I suspect because of his name only...
when you're dead people start listening
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

Svenko Wankerov wrote:Meh I don't care enough either way about Bruno to get in a fit over whether he is in F1 or not. He is a nice guy that wasn't fast enough for F1 and I rather see what Bottas could do. There is a much bigger cancer at Force India that F1 needs to rid itself of.

Half sensible post and half brainless idiocy. I wanted Senna to do well but he theres only so much time a driver can have to prove himself and Lalli (as we should, perhaps, now start calling him) simply didnt.

As for the Di Resta/cancer reference; nice work :roll: .
Just For One Day...
TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

Vergne not worried about prospect of losing his seat at Toro Rosso.

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't it usually when people start saying stuff like that their contract termination isn't too far away?
Biscione wrote:"Some Turkemenistani gulag repurposed for residential use" is the best way yet I've heard to describe North / East Glasgow.
Phoenix

Post by Phoenix »

Wizzie wrote:Vergne not worried about prospect of losing his seat at Toro Rosso.

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't it usually when people start saying stuff like that their contract termination isn't too far away?

Right now? Jesus, it's only preseason testing and the guy outscored Ricciardo last year.
mario

Post by mario »

giraurd wrote:Yup, Senna was clumsy and slow-ish yeah, and he didn't seem as good as the other drivers mentioned either.

It just seems he gets way too much hate compared to any other regular sponsorship-bringing driver who is a bit slower and a bit clumsier than others, and that I suspect because of his name only...

The name, no doubt, creates a lot of animosity, but I guess that the other aspect was the brazenness with which some of Bruno's sponsors boasted about their influence (the head of OGX publicly boasted, via Twitter IIRC, about how he had bought Bruno's seat at Williams). Is it the case that Bottas may be a better replacement driver than Bruno? We can only wait and see what happens next.
Still, I do agree that, in some senses, the criticism of Bruno can be excessively harsh at times - I myself may not be a fan of his, and do agree that, on balance, his overall performance at Williams was a little underwhelming, but he wasn't exactly that bad and nothing that seems to deserve some of the harsher criticism directed his way (OK, I do think that he was nothing special, but that he was at least competent enough to keep up with the lower end of the midfield pack).

CoopsII wrote:
Svenko Wankerov wrote:Meh I don't care enough either way about Bruno to get in a fit over whether he is in F1 or not. He is a nice guy that wasn't fast enough for F1 and I rather see what Bottas could do. There is a much bigger cancer at Force India that F1 needs to rid itself of.

Half sensible post and half brainless idiocy. I wanted Senna to do well but he theres only so much time a driver can have to prove himself and Lalli (as we should, perhaps, now start calling him) simply didnt.

As for the Di Resta/cancer reference; nice work :roll: .

I have to agree there - Svenko, I know that you have made it clear that you do not like Di Resta at all, but I do have to agree that your comments are becoming increasingly vindictive now and that particular comment was unnecessary.
Benetton

Post by Benetton »

Am I the only one who feels the quality of this forum has gone down recently? :roll:
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

Phoenix wrote:
Wizzie wrote:Vergne not worried about prospect of losing his seat at Toro Rosso.

Right now? Jesus, it's only preseason testing and the guy outscored Ricciardo last year.

I think that Franz Tost started the chair game a bit too early this time around. Either he is getting bored by now or he is nostalgic about how back in the days he used to write P45's every 6 months or so...
Colin Kolles on F111, 2011 HRT challenger: The car doesn't look too bad; it looks like a modern F1 car.
Klon
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Klon »

As far as my dislike of Senna goes: I do dislike people abusing their name whilst not showing a willingness to be more than just a name (which is why it is not hypocritical of me to be a Ralf fan whilst disliking Bruno Senna) but it would have been nowhere near as bad (since I probably would do the same if given the chance) if he hadn't chosen to go to Williams. Could have gone to Caterham, Marussia or some other team, but noooo, the twat had to go to Williams. :geek:
mario

Post by mario »

Klon wrote:As far as my dislike of Senna goes: I do dislike people abusing their name whilst not showing a willingness to be more than just a name (which is why it is not hypocritical of me to be a Ralf fan whilst disliking Bruno Senna) but it would have been nowhere near as bad (since I probably would do the same if given the chance) if he hadn't chosen to go to Williams. Could have gone to Caterham, Marussia or some other team, but noooo, the twat had to go to Williams. :geek:

On the other hand, Williams were probably prepared to offer better terms as they would have been fairly desperate for his cash if you consider the context. Bear in mind that Williams haven't exactly been flush with cash in recent years, and Bruno's arrival coincided with the loss of one of their major sponsors (AT&T) - add to that their efforts to drum up sponsorship from the Middle East had failed to materialise, and that creates a situation where the team would probably have been more willing to compromise than they might have otherwise done in the past.
The fact that Williams now appear to have negotiated more favourable terms with FOM for TV revenues probably explains why Williams now feel secure enough to kick Bruno out, not to mention that the hybrid power division is now probably making a small profit thanks to their deal with Audi for the hybrid R18, but he probably helped keep the team alive last year when their finances were at their shakiest.
TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

Phoenix wrote:

Outscored yes, but Ricciardo generally had the upper hand in both qualifying and race trim after Monaco onwards last year. The latter of which should have set off an alarm bell in Vergne's head since he's supposed to be the better of the two over a race distance.
Biscione wrote:"Some Turkemenistani gulag repurposed for residential use" is the best way yet I've heard to describe North / East Glasgow.
Svenko Wankerov

Post by Svenko Wankerov »

Klon wrote:As far as my dislike of Senna goes: I do dislike people abusing their name whilst not showing a willingness to be more than just a name (which is why it is not hypocritical of me to be a Ralf fan whilst disliking Bruno Senna) but it would have been nowhere near as bad (since I probably would do the same if given the chance) if he hadn't chosen to go to Williams. Could have gone to Caterham, Marussia or some other team, but noooo, the twat had to go to Williams. :geek:

Oh so this kind of hate directed towards Senna isn't vindictive or unnecessary?

Bruno accepted that he had to be a pay driver to stay in F1 and he did so without whining about being entitled to a top seat. He bought the best available seat which happened to be at Williams. It didn't work out for him and he left F1 without making a scene. How is using his family connection to raise money different than say Max Chilton buying into Marrussia with his family trust fund?
mario

Post by mario »

Svenko Wankerov wrote:

Oh so this kind of hate directed towards Senna isn't vindictive or unnecessary?

Bruno accepted that he had to be a pay driver to stay in F1 and he did so without whining about being entitled to a top seat. He bought the best available seat which happened to be at Williams. It didn't work out for him and he left F1 without making a scene. How is using his family connection to raise money different than say Max Chilton buying into Marrussia with his family trust fund?

As I've said before (only a few posts further up this page, in fact), I do think that Bruno has been subjected to some unfair criticism and do not think that he is as bad a driver as others try to paint him as. Although this particular post wasn't quite in as poor taste, I must admit that I am starting to tire of the complaints being thrown Bruno's way - he has left the sport, for now at least, and would prefer it if we didn't keep raking it up again.
RonDenisDeletraz

Svenko, there is a clear double standard on this forum. The community here always hates on Senna (and in some cases Vettel) but as soon as you say something bad about somebody else people turn against you. It has happened to me with both Bottas and GRSJN.

Aside from that I agree 100% with Benetton

CarlosFerreira

Post by CarlosFerreira »

eurobrun wrote:The community here always hates on Senna (...)

Oi! I'm still getting over the fact Senna won't be on the grid next year. He'll be sadly missed.
Stay home, Colin Kolles!