F1 Rejects Track Designing Competition

The place for alternate championships that use real results as a base of forming alternative results, driver careers, and games in general
UncreativeUsername37

Re: F1 Rejects Track Designing Competition

Post by UncreativeUsername37 »

10. Bleu
Ha ha ha, random bash against Hermann Tilke! You sure are funny. Because, you know, forty hairpins in a row is what Tilke tracks do.

9. peteroli34
Uh... wow. I try to at least acknowledge every corner or at least braking zone of a track, but 22 (or a few more depending on how you count them) corners in 2.1 km is too much. And they’re not even different: three near-identical double-apex corners and lots of “curved braking into angular corner” events. The rest are chicanes or more slow, angular corners. It’s what would come out if a Hungaroring hater tried to draw the circuit.

8. AdrianBelmonte_
This track does not look enjoyable. An exciting corner you'll brake immediately after anyway so there's not much motivation (see Signes) leads into three corners with roughly the same braking, steering lock, and speed. Sure, the entries are all different, but really they drive the same. Turn 3 does look genuinely fun, though. So onto the next kilometre, what should be an overtaking zone is ruined by a curved straight and double kink, then you have a few tight corners that aren't blatantly bad, but definitely won't get the passion flowing. It's sort of like the new turns 4-6 at Mexico but boring. The next two corners I don't have any complaints about, but again it seems like you'd just sort of drive them and not feel anything. The last two corners remind me a lot of Aida's last two, which I actually like. The track gradually increases in fun throughout the lap, but it goes from "Caesars Palace" to "meh, it's not awful".

7. More_Blue_Flags
The first corner looks like it would be easy flat, especially in underpowered grassroots cars. Then the same corner happens five times with only minor variation, then another easy corner and the track is over. The Canada turn 5-like corner after the 1-km mark is good, but that’s the only positive.

6. dr-baker
I’ve made tracks in Disney World before, but it never occurred to me to do one in the Disney park near where racing was invented. Anyway, kinked straights and medium-slow corners of similar angle make up the first half of the circuit, and it’s really boring. The next two corners have interesting exits, and the Barbecue Complex as I have named it looks fun. But that’s the fun section gone, as the sequence of 90-degree corners at the end is boring like Sochi (literally like Sochi).

5. TheFlyingCaterham
Nice karting circuit. Except that’s not what you were supposed to make, so you just have a circuit where all the corners are the same 150-degree hairpin. Up to and including turn 4 it’s fun, but then it’s like oh, it’s the same as itself. The short layout of your track shouldn’t be tons better than the main one!

4. novitopoli
I don’t think you could have enough runoff for the first corner, but you could just shift the track to the northeast a bit so whatever. Anyway, it’s a good corner. So is the next one after it. They’re simple and solid, 4/5 corners. The joys of driving a racing car will be well with you. The chicane after is good enough as well, as is the next turn. Again, all simple corners, but you’d have a lot of fun with them. It’s good that they’re not all unnatural and hook-shaped. The 1-km corner looks exciting, a proper high-speed thriller, and then... the circuit’s biggest problem. A square chicane to get around something you can’t take down, except nothing's there. It is different from the first one, I know, but it’s the same skill set. If that was gone and instead the southeast had one long corner or something like the end of Aragón, it would be much better. The double right-hander brings the track back to being simple and fun, and the northeast turn is another thriller. The chicane at the end is even more similar to the first one, so that’s kind of boring. Don’t give the blind chicane haters fuel! But yeah, overall, I’d like to race on this track.

3. tBone
First corner looks great to drive, but quite prone to start incidents. The complex after that looks fun, and captures the little differences and finesse that racing is about. The next turn just seems like the first one but a bit easier from less braking, but then the corner after looks quite challenging, like you’re guaranteed to lock a tyre. The left-hander it leads into could be like Shanghai turns 2 and 3, a precision unwinding job that might not be flat if you screw it up. The penultimate corner is average in every respect but contributes well flow-wise. The last corner is similar, it’s decent enough and flows well. So a couple minor flaws but that’s it.

2. Simtek
I’m reading the track clockwise. The first three corners look exciting and feel like a good club circuit. Turn 2 is an overtaking point that feels like part of a natural layout, not forced to have an overtaking point, which is of course a good feature. The esses might get you sued by COTA, but if that doesn’t happen they’re also a really good feature. The last hairpin is unreasonably tight, like Macau tight, and if you miss your braking, you’re going off just because there’s not enough steering angle for the car to take you through the rest of the corner. But overall, this track’s got everything and has a good flow as well.

1. Warren Hughes
The first three turns should make for interesting starts, and interesting driving besides. Lots of lines that all look reasonable. The hairpin will bring flashy stuff, overtaking and mistakes, and it flows by not being so pointy it could make holes in things, unlike some recent hairpins we know. It could maybe be compared to Tosa pre-1995. Hylton Bend is really good, not much braking but not so little that you think “well, that was a bit easy”. But the next one, that left-hander, that’s a proper hero corner. I’m talking 130R levels of love for this, that’s the passion it should bring. The first corner of the Esses looks easy to not lose tons of time on, but very hard to get perfect if you’re pushing and really satisfying if it happens, and the second corner is just the right radius to bring another challenge without being horribly slow and wrecking the flow. The last corner is simple, but doing something complicated there would just be some stupid awkward chicane, and it looks fun. Each corner is its own legend, it’s easy to make mistakes, the whole lap flows; this has all the makings of a legendary circuit. The greatest sub-3 km circuit this competition has ever seen? I can’t think of another challenger.
Rob Dylan wrote:Mercedes paying homage to the other W12 chassis by breaking down 30 minutes in
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

I also did a track, but I took the liberty of disqualifying myself, because I didn't have enough fun doing it.
Novitopoli wrote:Everytime someone orders at Pizza Hut, an Italian dies.
Novitopoli wrote:Juve's Triplete: Calciopoli, doping & Mafia connections.

Image Image
Warren Hughes

Post by Warren Hughes »

Get in! I was quite proud of this one when designing it, but I didn't want to say so in my original post for fear of appearing arrogant... I think 2012 was the last time I won a challenge in this thread, so happy days indeed!

Anyway, I am now the challenge setter, so let's have a go at this:

Extend a go-kart track
Simple enough - find an outdoor go-kart track, anywhere in the world; use as much or as little of the existing tarmac and infrastructure as you like (as long as it's more than 'none'), and extend it to make it suitable for cars - preferably without destroying any nearby buildings etc in the process. Please specify whether a new pit complex will be built, and if so where. No limit on length, but don't be stupid!

Design away!
Nico Rosberg wrote:Break me down mentally? Good luck with that one.

:roll:
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

Warren Hughes wrote:Extend a go-kart track
Simple enough - find an outdoor go-kart track, anywhere in the world; use as much or as little of the existing tarmac and infrastructure as you like (as long as it's more than 'none'), and extend it to make it suitable for cars - preferably without destroying any nearby buildings etc in the process. Please specify whether a new pit complex will be built, and if so where. No limit on length, but don't be stupid!

Design away!

But...kart tracks are all too narrow for cars? In terms of going two or more abreast, at least. I'm confused...
Novitopoli wrote:Everytime someone orders at Pizza Hut, an Italian dies.
Novitopoli wrote:Juve's Triplete: Calciopoli, doping & Mafia connections.

Image Image
UncreativeUsername37

Biscione wrote:
Warren Hughes wrote:Extend a go-kart track

Design away!

But...kart tracks are all too narrow for cars? In terms of going two or more abreast, at least. I'm confused...

I also demand clarification!
Rob Dylan wrote:Mercedes paying homage to the other W12 chassis by breaking down 30 minutes in
Warren Hughes

Post by Warren Hughes »

Existing track can be widened, straightened, bypassed etc. Really I just meant use the location of a kart track as a basis for a brand new creation.

Benetton

Post by Benetton »

Bobby Doorknobs

Post by Bobby Doorknobs »

A track I raced on once when I was 14: http://www.mappedometer.com/?maproute=429668
#FreeGonzo
UncreativeUsername37

Most of Helsingin Kartingrata's corners are just the same hairpin! That's boring! And there's an airport right next to it... hmm....

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=6623944
Bleu

Post by Bleu »

The circuit will have a rare setting where pit lane will be located in the middle of the track, namely to the parking area between kilometres 1 and 2.

Located near Clermont-Ferrand, France.

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=6623986
tBone

Post by tBone »

Here's mine, making use of the tiny track of Outdoor Karting Vaals and a lot of existing roads. http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=6624019
YOUR
LOGO

Here
AdrianBelmonte_

Post by AdrianBelmonte_ »

Here's my entry based in the Fréjus Kart Track in France, the pits would be built on Rue Eugène Joly, on right side

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=6624137
#FoxesFansHooligans

#HaasShouldBeSoLucky
Warren Hughes

Post by Warren Hughes »

peteroli, I'm afraid your entry doesn't count because it hasn't used the kart track at all - or even the land it's built on - but only the land next to it. It shouldn't take too much modification to make it legal though.

Peteroli34

Post by Peteroli34 »

Warren Hughes wrote:peteroli, I'm afraid your entry doesn't count because it hasn't used the kart track at all - or even the land it's built on - but only the land next to it. It shouldn't take too much modification to make it legal though.

In that case modified in to this http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=6624646
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Brands Hatch has a small outdoor go-kart track shaped as a miniature Brands Hatch. So I thought, "Combine the two!" And en route, the extension goes through the paddock of Paddock Hill Bend as well as also taking in the off-road driving route.

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=6624726

A few walls demolished on the way round, but that's all. And the pit lane is the actual Brands pits!
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
novitopoli
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by novitopoli »

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=6624911

Around the Naples International Circuit in Sarno. The current track area could host paddock and pits.
sw3ishida wrote:Jolyon Palmer brought us closer as a couple, for which I am grateful.

Ataxia wrote:
Londoner wrote:Something I've thought about - what happens to our canon should we have a worldwide recession or some other outside event?

We'll be fine. It's Canon, non Kodak.
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

dr-baker wrote:Brands Hatch has a small outdoor go-kart track shaped as a miniature Brands Hatch. So I thought, "Combine the two!" And en route, the extension goes through the paddock of Paddock Hill Bend as well as also taking in the off-road driving route.

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=6624726

A few walls demolished on the way round, but that's all. And the pit lane is the actual Brands pits!

I decided that my Brands extension was too tight and twisty (considering that Brands Indy already is tight and twisty enough), so I have redesigned it a bit to make it a bit more flowing.

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com?r=6625549
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
roblo97

Post by roblo97 »

Mexicola wrote:
shinji wrote:
Mexicola wrote: I'd rather listen to a dog lick its balls. Each to their own, I guess.

Does listening to a dog licking its balls get you excited?

That's between me and my internet service provider.

One of those journalist types.
270 Tube stations in 18:42:50!
tommykl

Post by tommykl »

You didn't exactly define "stupid" in regards to track length, so here's my entry. All 34 kilometres of it.
http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=6625931

It's essentially the Nordschleife, but longer, faster, and going through a town.

The starting point of the track above isn't where the start line would be, but pinpoints the karting circuit. The pitlane would be around kilometre 28, leaving the drivers to go flat out for five kilometres straight before turning off the main road. They then turn back over the road and turn straight into the karting circuit in a twisty complex before heading downhill into the town of Bouillon. The circuit crosses the Semois river in the town centre and flows all the way around the famous Bouillon Castle.

After this, the drivers head back uphill through the flowing parts of the circuit, an old secondary road roughly following the border with France. Shortly after the village of Corbion, a hairpin leads the drivers downhill and over the Semois again and into the village of Poupehan, followed by another uphill race through more fast corners. After Mogimont, a hard braking spot takes the drivers back onto the E46 and to the starting line.
kevinbotz wrote:Cantonese is a completely nonsensical f*cking alien language masquerading as some grossly bastardised form of Chinese

Gonzo wrote:Wasn't there some sort of communisim in the East part of Germany?
Warren Hughes

Post by Warren Hughes »

Just to say, I'm away this weekend so you'll have until Sunday to post entries (it's usually 7 days Ugncreative, is that right?)

Bobby Doorknobs

Warren Hughes wrote:Just to say, I'm away this weekend so you'll have until Sunday to post entries (it's usually 7 days Ugncreative, is that right?)

It's two days after the last entry, so tomorrow morning, officially.
#FreeGonzo
Warren Hughes

Post by Warren Hughes »

Simtek wrote:
Warren Hughes wrote:Just to say, I'm away this weekend so you'll have until Sunday to post entries (it's usually 7 days Ugncreative, is that right?)

Ah, OK, I'd better get my thinking cap on then. (As previously noted, the last time I won this thing was in 2012...)

Normal32

Post by Normal32 »

Pasta_maldonado wrote:I think normal32 is an old English farmer re-incarnated
Bobby Doorknobs

Warren Hughes wrote:
Simtek wrote:

Ah, OK, I'd better get my thinking cap on then. (As previously noted, the last time I won this thing was in 2012...)

Normal32 wrote:A bit late but: http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=6627535

And with that, it's now Sunday anyway.
#FreeGonzo
Warren Hughes

Post by Warren Hughes »

Bleu

Post by Bleu »

Are the results coming or not?
Bobby Doorknobs

In light of recent events I think a rule-change is in order for keeping the chain going. I propose that the challenge-setter has until 9 days after the last entry (1 week plus the 2 day rule) to post the ratings of the latest challenge. If the challenge-setter fails to do so in that 9-day period a week's voting should commence to determine the winner, using the same voting system as was used for the first two years of the competition's existence. With regards to the latter point I am aware that the voting system failed the last time it was used (only 2 people voted) and any alternate suggestions are welcome. And of course, no changes should be made without the blessing of the competition's de facto eternal ruler, UgncreativeUsergname :)
#FreeGonzo
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Can I suggest that if the challenge-setter fails to decide within a given time, the previous judge has a chance to cast the deciding vote before opening the voting net wider?
MCard LOLA
Bobby Doorknobs

dr-baker wrote:Can I suggest that if the challenge-setter fails to decide within a given time, the previous judge has a chance to cast the deciding vote before opening the voting net wider?

The only issue I have with this is if the previous judge is already taking part in the current challenge. Under your proposal UgncreativeUsergname is the previous judge, but also has an entry in the current challenge. It's difficult to judge entries when one of them is your own, and even if your own track is far and away the best it's hard to really declare it the winner because no matter what it will come across as being biased.
#FreeGonzo
UncreativeUsername37

Simtek wrote:In light of recent events I think a rule-change is in order for keeping the chain going. I propose that the challenge-setter has until 9 days after the last entry (1 week plus the 2 day rule) to post the ratings of the latest challenge. If the challenge-setter fails to do so in that 9-day period a week's voting should commence to determine the winner, using the same voting system as was used for the first two years of the competition's existence. With regards to the latter point I am aware that the voting system failed the last time it was used (only 2 people voted) and any alternate suggestions are welcome. And of course, no changes should be made without the blessing of the competition's de facto eternal ruler, UgncreativeUsergname :)

I had no idea for rules for the situation and just sort of hoped it was a one-off and I wouldn't have to deal with it too often, then this time I had the World Cup to distract myself. I really like the idea of falling back to the old system since it was "better" in the first place, and even if two people vote, it's a backup meant to pick a winner based on something and get out anyway. I don't think the time needs to be changed either.

This rule will be adopted, starting right now. I'll get my votes up soon.
UncreativeUsername37

1. tBone
2. tommykl
Bobby Doorknobs

UgncreativeUsergname wrote:1. tBone
2. tommykl

This.
#FreeGonzo
Peteroli34

Post by Peteroli34 »

1.tBone
2.Benneton
Bleu

Post by Bleu »

1. novitopoli
2. AdrianBelmonte_
tBone

Post by tBone »

1. novitopoli
2. Benetton
YOUR
LOGO

Here
novitopoli
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by novitopoli »

1. Peteroli34
2. Benetton
sw3ishida wrote:Jolyon Palmer brought us closer as a couple, for which I am grateful.

Ataxia wrote:
Londoner wrote:Something I've thought about - what happens to our canon should we have a worldwide recession or some other outside event?

We'll be fine. It's Canon, non Kodak.
UncreativeUsername37

1. tBone (18)
2. novitopoli (12)
=. Benetton (12)
4. tommykl (8)
5. peteroli34 (6)
6. AdrianBelmonte_ (4)

tBone wins by a single first vote. novitopoli and Benetton make the podium ceremony awkward.
tBone

Post by tBone »

Let's get this going again.

Coast Challenge

Design a track, using only existing roads, of 3-7 km. The only other requirement is that it includes a road along the coast of a sea or lake.

If something is not clear, please ask.
YOUR
LOGO

Here
Bobby Doorknobs

Fast and dangerous road/street circuit in northern Croatia: http://www.mappedometer.com/?maproute=436680
#FreeGonzo