RIP Manor Racing (2010-2017)

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
MorbidelliObese

Re: The Manor Marussia Thread

Post by MorbidelliObese »

Simtek wrote:
AndreaModa wrote:
Yannick wrote:
No, it is not Sauber, I'm afraid. They had the words "concept by Mercedes Benz" on their airbox in their first year, running the Ilmor-Mercedes engine, and had been the Mercedes works team in sportscars (Group C) before.

I'd say you'd have to go back to 1991 when Eddie Jordan's team entered, which is now known as Force 1ndia.

But they weren't owned by Mercedes were they? Thus they were a privateer team. But either way, we're talking early 90s for the last privateer team which is sad.

Indeed. "Factory-backed" would be a more accurate term in this instance. Much the same as how Benetton and later Stewart were backed by Ford. Not necessarily a works team, but nevertheless had support from a manufacturer in a way similar to a works team.

EDIT: Thinking about this: Are they the same thing? Because I do remember Benetton being referred to as the "works" Ford team in the late '80s. Is a works team an entrant that is entered under the name of a manufacturer, like Renault or Mercedes? Or does it simply need to have significant financial backing and other support from a manufacturer, like Sauber-Mercedes in 1993-94? Perhaps this belongs in the Ponderbox thread...

Yeah there's kind of three levels between, like in the current field:

1: Mercedes, Ferrari (Toyota, BMW, Renault etc. in the past)
2: Red Bull-Renault, McLaren-Honda (Benetton-Ford, 90s Williams-Renault, Stewart-Ford, Brabham-BMW, pre-2010 McLaren-Merc etc. in the past)
3: Everyone else

In theory there shouldn't be much difference between 1 and 2, in both you're the primary team for said manufacturer, and in most cases not paying for your engine, although obviously designing and building the car and engine under one roof (if not physically, but at least under the same ownership) would help with integration etc.
Darling fascist bully boy, give me some more money you bastard. May the seed of your loin be fruitful in the belly of your woman.
Waris

Post by Waris »

There is a difference between a works team and a works engine. If a team builds the car and the engine itself, then it is a works team.
If an engine manufacturer that is not also a constructor (i.e. doesn't build a car) supply engines to several teams, but with significantly more support (financial and technical) to one of them, then that team can be said to have the works engine of that engine manufacturer, whereas the other teams with the same engine have customer engines. In the current F1 this distinction isn't really applicable, because Renault is the only engine manufacturer supplying more than 1 team that doesn't have a works team, and I don't really think Red Bull and Toro Rosso get different amounts of manufacturer support, I guess it's about the same. But then again, Red Bull and Toro Rosso are obviously very closely linked.
MOTOR RACING IS DANGEROUS
mario

Post by mario »

Waris wrote:There is a difference between a works team and a works engine. If a team builds the car and the engine itself, then it is a works team.
If an engine manufacturer that is not also a constructor (i.e. doesn't build a car) supply engines to several teams, but with significantly more support (financial and technical) to one of them, then that team can be said to have the works engine of that engine manufacturer, whereas the other teams with the same engine have customer engines. In the current F1 this distinction isn't really applicable, because Renault is the only engine manufacturer supplying more than 1 team that doesn't have a works team, and I don't really think Red Bull and Toro Rosso get different amounts of manufacturer support, I guess it's about the same. But then again, Red Bull and Toro Rosso are obviously very closely linked.

The situation is a little ambiguous due to the fact that both Red Bull and Toro Rosso utilise Red Bull Technology, so it not quite clear how that support is then fed down into the racing teams themselves. In late 2011, Red Bull Technology signed a deal with Renault where Renault agreed to give them "premium technical co-operation", with RBT becoming the main technical partner whom Renault would work with and develop the V6 turbo engine around.

However, Horner did say that same deal "makes us the premier, factory team of Renault Sport", so it would indicate that Red Bull Racing is probably given a greater amount of support than Toro Rosso are.
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

Random bit of news I heard a couple of weeks ago from a chap who works at Mercedes - apparently Manor are looking at a return to "Motorsport Valley". Everything left that wasn't sold in the auction was moved back to the traditional Manor base in Yorkshire, but the word is they want to have the F1 team back in a similar location to before. Pity they flogged the Banbury base to Haas...

Still, no shortage of industrial units in the area. Prodrive have only recently moved to a huge great unit just over from where Haas will be, there's a whole estate being built right next to the motorway. And then there's always the poisoned chalice of Leafield which I assume is vacant since Caterham went to the wall.
I want my MTV...Simtek Ford

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

AndreaModa wrote:Random bit of news I heard a couple of weeks ago from a chap who works at Mercedes - apparently Manor are looking at a return to "Motorsport Valley". Everything left that wasn't sold in the auction was moved back to the traditional Manor base in Yorkshire, but the word is they want to have the F1 team back in a similar location to before. Pity they flogged the Banbury base to Haas...

Still, no shortage of industrial units in the area. Prodrive have only recently moved to a huge great unit just over from where Haas will be, there's a whole estate being built right next to the motorway. And then there's always the poisoned chalice of Leafield which I assume is vacant since Caterham went to the wall.

For some reason, whenever people mention Leafield I think of a haunted house full of the ghosts of Aguri Suzuki and Christijan Albers wandering aimlessly forever.

Or Ravenholm from Half-Life.
Murray Walker at the 1997 Austrian Grand Prix wrote:The other [Stewart] driver, who nobody's been paying attention to, because he's disappointing, is Jan Magnussen.
Felipe Nasr - the least forgettable F1 driver!
Miguel98

Post by Miguel98 »

http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2015/09/16/alexander-rossi-replaces-roberto-merhi-at-manor/

So, Rossi is replacing Mehri for the final 5 races of the season. Sad, just as Mehri was improving. But I guess then, Rossi might get a seat with Manor for next season, which means he's out of contention for the Haas drive.
Mario on Gutierrez after the Italian Grand Prix wrote:He's no longer just a bit of a tool, he's the entire tool set.

18-07-2015: Forever in our hearts Jules.
25-08-2015: Forever in our hearts Justin.
Bobby Doorknobs

Post by Bobby Doorknobs »

Miguel98 wrote:http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2015/09/16/alexander-rossi-replaces-roberto-merhi-at-manor/

So, Rossi is replacing Mehri for the final 5 races of the season. Sad, just as Mehri was improving. But I guess then, Rossi might get a seat with Manor for next season, which means he's out of contention for the Haas drive.

>implying Rossi was in contention for the Haas drive
#FreeGonzo
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

According to people the 5 races will give him automatic eligibility with superlicence points for next year, meaning there's no issue with him driving next year. Which gives me the opinion he may be driving full-time for Manor next year.
Murray Walker at the 1997 Austrian Grand Prix wrote:The other [Stewart] driver, who nobody's been paying attention to, because he's disappointing, is Jan Magnussen.
golic_2004

Post by golic_2004 »

Motorsport.com says so as well. Merhi will be at Russia and Abu Dhabi while Rossi contests the remaining GP2 events.
Williams in the last few years http://imgur.com/sNFFMYF
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

I saw something interesting on Twitter that might explain why he's got the drive:

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
Wallio
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Wallio »

AndreaModa wrote:I saw something interesting on Twitter that might explain why he's got the drive:

DING! DING! DING! Luca said time and again that a US team, running customer Ferrari chassis, with a US driver, racing in 3 GPs per year in America, was a must for Ferrari sales. He even talked to Michael Andretti about it. And all of a sudden its slowly happening.....
Professional Historian/Retired Drag Racer/Whiskey Enthusiast

"He makes the move on the outside, and knowing George as we do, he's probably on the radio right now telling the team how great he is." - James Hinchcliffe on George Russell
mario

Post by mario »

Wallio wrote:
AndreaModa wrote:I saw something interesting on Twitter that might explain why he's got the drive:

DING! DING! DING! Luca said time and again that a US team, running customer Ferrari chassis, with a US driver, racing in 3 GPs per year in America, was a must for Ferrari sales. He even talked to Michael Andretti about it. And all of a sudden its slowly happening.....

To be honest, I am still doubtful about the idea that Rossi would then drive for Haas - I still think that it is far more likely that Haas will stick with drivers from Ferrari's development program as a way of offsetting the cost of purchasing parts from them, with Rossi more likely to remain at Manor.
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
Wallio
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Wallio »

mario wrote:
Wallio wrote:

To be honest, I am still doubtful about the idea that Rossi would then drive for Haas - I still think that it is far more likely that Haas will stick with drivers from Ferrari's development program as a way of offsetting the cost of purchasing parts from them, with Rossi more likely to remain at Manor.

I don't think Rossi will drive for Haas next year (outside of FP1s) but I do think this is being set up by either Ferrari, or Rossi's backers, as a try-out per say. Give him 5 or 6 races, let's see what he can do. And if he blows away his teammate (doubtful, but possible) I do think you will see a push for Haas to take him.
Professional Historian/Retired Drag Racer/Whiskey Enthusiast

"He makes the move on the outside, and knowing George as we do, he's probably on the radio right now telling the team how great he is." - James Hinchcliffe on George Russell
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

Exactly, this is far from settled yet, but what Rossi has is a five race interview for his future F1 career. Even if he does well, Haas may not take him, but if he's good enough, Manor may stick with him for 2016. He did after all almost race for them last year so they must see something in him, and it's not bags of cash.

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
Klon
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Klon »

mario wrote:
Wallio wrote:DING! DING! DING! Luca said time and again that a US team, running customer Ferrari chassis, with a US driver, racing in 3 GPs per year in America, was a must for Ferrari sales. He even talked to Michael Andretti about it. And all of a sudden its slowly happening.....

There's also the simple possiblity that Gutierrez², due to the increasing hispanic population of the US, could very well qualify for an American driver as Ferrari imagines him (read: a useful PR tool).
Nessafox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nessafox »

Klon wrote:
mario wrote:
Wallio wrote:DING! DING! DING! Luca said time and again that a US team, running customer Ferrari chassis, with a US driver, racing in 3 GPs per year in America, was a must for Ferrari sales. He even talked to Michael Andretti about it. And all of a sudden its slowly happening.....

There's also the simple possiblity that Gutierrez², due to the increasing hispanic population of the US, could very well qualify for an American driver as Ferrari imagines him (read: a useful PR tool).

Then again, it is very plausible Gene Haas isn't exactly impressed by Gutierrez' track record (like most people), and wanted to see if Rossi is at least half decent. Rossi might be 'Ferrari approved' enough.
I don't know what i want and i want it now!
AustralianStig

Post by AustralianStig »

I thought I read somewhere recently that Gene Haas said that there were no good American candidates so he'd given up on that plan to have an American driver, although I might have just made that up.
Join the GP Rejects league at Fantasy F1: https://fantasy.formula1.com/join/?=2a1f25

CoopsII wrote:
Biscione wrote:To the surprise of no-one, Daniil Kvyat wins ROTR for Sochi, by a record margin that may not be surpassed for some time.

I always knew Marko read this forum.
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

...China? Ho Ping Tung for Haas drive?!
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
golic_2004

Post by golic_2004 »

dr-baker wrote:

dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

golic_2004 wrote:
dr-baker wrote:

Yeah, I know...
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
LovelyFondmetal

Post by LovelyFondmetal »

dr-baker wrote:

I was gonna say Romania, after all, isn't that the sole reason for Forza Rossa? Or are they not a thing anymore?
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

LovelyFondmetal wrote:I was gonna say Romania, after all, isn't that the sole reason for Forza Rossa? Or are they not a thing anymore?

They are about as much of a thing as Stefan GP, i.e. just slightly less than USF1 (who were actually granted an entry by the FIA).
MCard LOLA
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/121106
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/121153
:chilton:
So Manor gets Mercedes engines. Things are looking up!

Excuse me while I do a triumphant dance.
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

Yeah it's really good news for the team, and they're back in Banbury in a unit next to Prodrive and literally within spitting distance of their old base which now has Haas logos all over it.

So all in all very positive. I wonder if Airbnb and/or Flexbox will stick around for 2016? Hopefully at least one of them will. I'll bet they were delighted when they heard this news!

The next question I suppose is, with a decent technical package, what sort of drivers will the team employ? Suddenly they could be competitive in the lower midfield, points could be a distinct possibility, so will that influence who drives for them? I would have thought they would have announced Wehrlein at the same time as the engines so maybe he won't drive for them. It's going to be really interesting to see how the off-season pans out for the team and how competitive they'll be come February.

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
mario

Post by mario »

AndreaModa wrote:Yeah it's really good news for the team, and they're back in Banbury in a unit next to Prodrive and literally within spitting distance of their old base which now has Haas logos all over it.

So all in all very positive. I wonder if Airbnb and/or Flexbox will stick around for 2016? Hopefully at least one of them will. I'll bet they were delighted when they heard this news!

The next question I suppose is, with a decent technical package, what sort of drivers will the team employ? Suddenly they could be competitive in the lower midfield, points could be a distinct possibility, so will that influence who drives for them? I would have thought they would have announced Wehrlein at the same time as the engines so maybe he won't drive for them. It's going to be really interesting to see how the off-season pans out for the team and how competitive they'll be come February.

Securing a supply of the 2016 spec Mercedes engine will certainly be a big shot in the arm for the team - I think that it well may be enough to encourage their current sponsors to stay on for 2016, because it would significantly increase their chances of being more competitive and, therefore, garnering more exposure.

As for who might drive for them, Mercedes do seem to have contemplated placing Wehrlein with the team - although he hasn't been announced yet, I don't think he is necessarily out of competition for the seat and wouldn't be surprised if he does crop up there in the end.
AdrianSutil

Post by AdrianSutil »

Delighted for Manor to grab those Merc engines for next season. As for drivers, I remember reading on BBC Sport (I think, don't quote me on that) that Toto Wolff admitted that although he'd like to put Wehrlein in one of the seats, he realises that Manor still need a 'sizeable' amount of cash from drivers, so expect at least one pay-driver to grab a seat and I don't think Wehrlein brings much sponsorship...
RIP NAN - 26/12/2014
RIP DAD - 9/2/2015

Currently building a Subaru Impreza to compete in the 2016 MSV Trophy.
PremierInn spokesperson for Great Ormond Street Hospital
CaptainGetz12
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by CaptainGetz12 »

As much as I like to see Manor get some powerful engines for 2016, I'm concerned about how this effects their budget. Yes Manor played very conservatively this year to save up money, but I'm pretty sure Mercedes is gonna charge them quite a bit for the most powerful engine on the grid. It makes me think that they put all of their eggs in one basket. Then again, maybe you have to to break out of the back of the grid...
Klon wrote:What did poor André do to you for him to be insulted like that?
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

CaptainGetz12 wrote:As much as I like to see Manor get some powerful engines for 2016, I'm concerned about how this effects their budget. Yes Manor played very conservatively this year to save up money, but I'm pretty sure Mercedes is gonna charge them quite a bit for the most powerful engine on the grid. It makes me think that they put all of their eggs in one basket. Then again, maybe you have to to break out of the back of the grid...

As they will have two pay drivers in the cars I'm sure they could now charge said drivers more on the back of this deal alone. The more I think about this the more convinced I am that this is the best news all season and I'm really looking forward to, potentially, seeing the cars in the mid-field.
Just For One Day...
mario

Post by mario »

CaptainGetz12 wrote:As much as I like to see Manor get some powerful engines for 2016, I'm concerned about how this effects their budget. Yes Manor played very conservatively this year to save up money, but I'm pretty sure Mercedes is gonna charge them quite a bit for the most powerful engine on the grid. It makes me think that they put all of their eggs in one basket. Then again, maybe you have to to break out of the back of the grid...

Actually, Manor might actually end up being slightly better off financially with a Mercedes engine deal - because Mercedes distribute the cost of their engines across more teams, their engines are reportedly the cheapest in the field. There is also talk that the FIA might force the engine manufacturers to reintroduce a cost cap again, which would again help Manor out.
Fetzie

Post by Fetzie »

AdrianSutil wrote:Delighted for Manor to grab those Merc engines for next season. As for drivers, I remember reading on BBC Sport (I think, don't quote me on that) that Toto Wolff admitted that although he'd like to put Wehrlein in one of the seats, he realises that Manor still need a 'sizeable' amount of cash from drivers, so expect at least one pay-driver to grab a seat and I don't think Wehrlein brings much sponsorship...

Wehrlein could bring indirect sponsorship in the form of an engine fee discount though, couldn't he? Are deals like "You get our engines for 80% off if you take our development driver" allowed?
AdrianSutil

Post by AdrianSutil »

Fetzie wrote:
AdrianSutil wrote:Delighted for Manor to grab those Merc engines for next season. As for drivers, I remember reading on BBC Sport (I think, don't quote me on that) that Toto Wolff admitted that although he'd like to put Wehrlein in one of the seats, he realises that Manor still need a 'sizeable' amount of cash from drivers, so expect at least one pay-driver to grab a seat and I don't think Wehrlein brings much sponsorship...

Wehrlein could bring indirect sponsorship in the form of an engine fee discount though, couldn't he? Are deals like "You get our engines for 80% off if you take our development driver" allowed?

Yes, but that's the only way I can see him bringing 'sponsorship' and if he saves the team £20 million for example but they find another driver who can bring £30 million, your gonna go for the latter...
RIP NAN - 26/12/2014
RIP DAD - 9/2/2015

Currently building a Subaru Impreza to compete in the 2016 MSV Trophy.
PremierInn spokesperson for Great Ormond Street Hospital
Collieafc

Post by Collieafc »

AdrianSutil wrote:
Fetzie wrote:

Yes, but that's the only way I can see him bringing 'sponsorship' and if he saves the team £20 million for example but they find another driver who can bring £30 million, your gonna go for the latter...

Ah but if the $20M driver brings in the possibility of earning another $20m in the form of improved results and all the trappings of such (Better sponsorship etc) then he may be the better bet

Plus Manor wont improve if they stick with only pay drivers - thats what has arguably been bringing down Sauber and to a point, Caterham as well. If your at the back already, what do you have to lose if you take a gamble?
DanielPT wrote:Life usually expires after 400 meters and always before reaching 2 laps or so. In essence, Life is short.
Shizuka

Post by Shizuka »

https://twitter.com/ManorF1Team/status/ ... 7015730176

Manor has some brilliant heads for their Twitter management!

Code: Select all

14:03   RaikkonenPlsCare   There's some water in water
golic_2004

Post by golic_2004 »

I think the United States Grand Prix was their first race where they finished on the lead lap! Am I wrong?
golic_2004

Post by golic_2004 »

golic_2004 wrote:I think the United States Grand Prix was their first race where they finished on the lead lap! Am I wrong?

I took a look on Wikipedia to check all of the results from 2010 onwards and made a list of lead lap finishes for the team.

European Grand Prix: Charles Pic

Singapore: Pic and Timo Glock

Abu Dhabi: Glock

Monaco: Max Chilton

Great Britain: Jules Bianchi and Chilton

(South) Korea: Bianchi and Chilton

Bahrain: Chilton

Singapore: Bianchi

United States: Alexander Rossi (in a year old car!)
Izzyeviel

Post by Izzyeviel »

Manor finish 12th, the first race of the season where both Mclarens finished and Maldonado didn't crash into anyone. What rotten luck.
Bobby Doorknobs

Post by Bobby Doorknobs »

Izzyeviel wrote:Manor finish 12th, the first race of the season where both Mclarens finished and Maldonado didn't crash into anyone. What rotten luck.

Um, both McLarens made it to the end in no less than six races this season, and out of those Maldonado only crashed out of two of them :?
#FreeGonzo
yannicksamlad
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by yannicksamlad »

Izzyeviel wrote:Manor finish 12th, the first race of the season where both Mclarens finished and Maldonado didn't crash into anyone. What rotten luck.

Yep I'm with you- heading for 12th (Ricciardo was too quick) , in the last laps I was hearing Alonso moaning about his engine and looking at Pastor joining in a tight battle ....and I really thought there was good chance of Alex moving up a couple of spots. But no.
I started supporting Emmo in 1976 (3 points )....missed 75, 74, 73, 72...
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

I think that's a mistake at a time when things were looking up for the team. I get that new people want to do things their own way but those guys had experience to match almost anybody in the pit-lane.
Just For One Day...