The Lucas di Grassi Formula E Thread

The place for anything and everything else to do with F1 history, different forms of motorsport, and all other randomness
Ataxia
Not Important

Re: The Lucas di Grassi Formula E Thread

Post by Ataxia »

Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

The guy can't even finish his dinner.
I want my MTV...Simtek Ford

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

AndreaModa wrote:

The guy can't even finish his dinner.

Still, it gives another IndyCar star, Mike Conway, a chance...
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

I'm still impressed I predicted he'd get a drive in the first place. However, I can't remember off the top of my head if I said he'd screw it up... probably did, though.
James Allen, on his favourite F1 engine of all time:
"...the Life W12, I can't describe the noise to you, but imagine filling your dustbin with nuts and bolts, and then throwing it down the stairs, it was something akin to that!"
Miguel98

Post by Miguel98 »

I get a 404 for that. I imagine it says JV has left FE?
Mario on Gutierrez after the Italian Grand Prix wrote:He's no longer just a bit of a tool, he's the entire tool set.

18-07-2015: Forever in our hearts Jules.
25-08-2015: Forever in our hearts Justin.
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Bethon has lost his Soooooppppppaaaaaa Aguri drive!!!

Plus, the first round was 3 months ago. We've only had 2 rounds since. And there are still a few weeks until we kick off again. I'm getting in-season deprivation!
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

The reject merry-go-round keeps on turning.

Presumably Nick Heidfeld will be back in Argentina, so maybe SUPER AGURI will give Oliver Rowland another shot?
"...the Life W12, I can't describe the noise to you, but imagine filling your dustbin with nuts and bolts, and then throwing it down the stairs, it was something akin to that!"
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

dinizintheoven wrote:The reject merry-go-round keeps on turning.

Presumably Nick Heidfeld will be back in Argentina, so maybe SUPER AGURI will give Oliver Rowland another shot?

I'd wager Salvador Duran will return to Aguri, there's been whisperings that he'll be back racing in Buenos Aires.
Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
madmark1974

Post by madmark1974 »

Some interesting stats posted on the main FE site here, at the bottom in the 'Records' section :

http://www.fiaformulae.com/en/news/2016/february/facts-and-stats-buenos-aires-eprix.aspx

Shows just how far ahead of everyone Buemi really is, and with the lack of development opportunites within the season,
you have to say it's pretty much all over already, and if Prost gets his act together then any potential competition from
the likes of Di Grassi is going to be aiming for the bottom step of the podium at best really.

Looking forward to this weekend's race where I will hopefully be proven wrong ...
dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

...last year's Buenos Aires ePrix, though, was the infamous "...AH, NON! NON! PARDON!" race, and Seb was far from the only driver to throw away a golden result.

Here's hoping for a repeat performance from at least half the field...
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

madmark1974 wrote:Some interesting stats posted on the main FE site here, at the bottom in the 'Records' section :

http://www.fiaformulae.com/en/news/2016/february/facts-and-stats-buenos-aires-eprix.aspx

Shows just how far ahead of everyone Buemi really is, and with the lack of development opportunites within the season, you have to say it's pretty much all over already, and if Prost gets his act together then any potential competition from the likes of Di Grassi is going to be aiming for the bottom step of the podium at best really.

Looking forward to this weekend's race where I will hopefully be proven wrong ...

You're right, and what it really demonstrates is that in an open formula if development opportunities are restricted then it just locks in a performance advantage for the team(s) who got it right. We see it with F1 currently and also here in Formula E. F1 has (somewhat) seen the light and axed engine tokens for 2017, what Formula E needs to do is open up testing a little bit to allow other teams to catch up and prevent the championship from being a whitewash.

Naturally, in history there are always motorsport teams who have got one-up on the rest through an innovation or two. Think Alfa or Audi in the BTCC in the mid 90s, countless F1 examples - McLaren MP4/4, Williams FW14B, etc, etc. But if Formula E wants to get more popular, they need to try and prevent a Buemi cakewalk. His advantage over the rest of the field is nuts.

In my view Formula E as a series has been run in 'safe mode' since the start. Very conservative, careful rule making as if the organisers are scared silly by the thought of costs potentially rising and teams going bust. They need to grow some balls and start being more adventurous.
I want my MTV...Simtek Ford

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

I like the way Snrub thinks!
dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

Now, that'd be interesting - we'll be able to see if his müllered hand can take it.

Also, a certain P. Maldonado is out of a job at the moment. And Formula E teams can't be quite so desperate for the cash as mega-expensive F1, so I wonder if he'll have a crack at it someday? We haven't quite had the carnage of the first season in recent races...
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Absolutely gutted for Antonio Felix da Costa Coffee in the Team Stefan Aguri car. Had he managed to finish in the top two (as he was when he retired), he would have leapt from 10th to 4th in the drivers championship. Thrilling race from Buemi and Bird, though. Either would have been deserving of the win.
MCard LOLA
Miguel98

Post by Miguel98 »

Da Costa :(

Second time in a row his car breaks down while getting some good points. Bad luck has hit him hard...
Mario on Gutierrez after the Italian Grand Prix wrote:He's no longer just a bit of a tool, he's the entire tool set.

dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

dr-baker wrote:Absolutely gutted for Antonio Felix da Costa Coffee in the Team Stefan Aguri car. Had he managed to finish in the top two (as he was when he retired), he would have leapt from 10th to 4th in the drivers championship. Thrilling race from Buemi and Bird, though. Either would have been deserving of the win.

Maybe so, but I'm glad the win went to Sam Bird, just so the prospect of a Buemi-and-Edam walkover is pushed further into the shadows.

Five weeks until the next race, then they come thick and fast. Anyone up for another visit to Battersea Park this year?
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

Shame for Felix Da Housecat but great resulst for Bird and Buemi. A really enjoyable little race.
Just For One Day...
Izzyeviel

Post by Izzyeviel »

First proper race that i've watched live, and I enjoyed it. I thought the track really allowed the cars to look fast and dangerous. Always good watching cars slide around and not appear to be on rails. A solid 5/7.
golic_2004

Post by golic_2004 »

Jaguar is now looking for its drivers for the 2016-17 season.
http://www.motorsport.com/formula-e/new ... am-672373/

Possible candidates include:

Nelson Piquet Jr = likely
Sam Bird = likely
Oliver Turvey = possibly
Antonio Felix da Costa = very likely
Anthony Davidson = possibly
Narain Karthikeyan = likely
Adam Carroll = outside chance
Alex Lynn = outside chance
Lance Stroll = outside chance
Williams in the last few years http://imgur.com/sNFFMYF
dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

Izzyeviel wrote:First proper race that i've watched live, and I enjoyed it. I thought the track really allowed the cars to look fast and dangerous. Always good watching cars slide around and not appear to be on rails. A solid 5/7.

I see what you did there.
AdrianBelmonte_

Post by AdrianBelmonte_ »

This could be the new Berlin ePrix layout

Seriously...
#FoxesFansHooligans

#HaasShouldBeSoLucky
Bobby Doorknobs

Post by Bobby Doorknobs »

AdrianBelmonte_ wrote:Image

Seriously...

*holds back laughter*
#FreeGonzo
AxelP800

Post by AxelP800 »

Simtek wrote:

Seriously...

*holds back laughter*

When you see the buildings background, it's a nice track. Looking forward to it.

Hmm now looking at it, it looks like a gun or shovel
Rio Haryanto for the win!
He upon seeing me accidentaly paint Belgian flag rotated 90 deg to right
tommykl returns from the bathroom
tommykl reads the chat logs
tommykl has a stroke
Bobby Doorknobs

AxelP800 wrote:
Simtek wrote:

Seriously...

*holds back laughter*

When you see the buildings background, it's a nice track. Looking forward to it.

Hmm now looking at it, it looks like a gun or shovel

I was thinking about something else...
#FreeGonzo
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Simtek wrote:I was thinking about something else...

Pogo stick? ;)
MCard LOLA
sw3ishida

Post by sw3ishida »

Looks kind of like a pickaxe to me, actually...
dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

If this the case, why don't the go all the way and re-open AVUS...
golic_2004

Post by golic_2004 »

dinizintheoven wrote:If this the case, why don't the go all the way and re-open AVUS...

I think this is sAfeVUS
Williams in the last few years http://imgur.com/sNFFMYF
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

I see what you did there.
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

dinizintheoven wrote:I see what you did there.

I don't want to see it, whatever it is.
MCard LOLA
Izzyeviel

Post by Izzyeviel »

It's on Karl Marx street and looks like a hammer. I hope the paddock is sickle shaped.
Miguel98

Post by Miguel98 »

The new Aguri livery is very pretty BUT ... the sponsor is Gulf. A petrol giant sponsoring a FE team. :facepalm:

Londoner

Post by Londoner »

Yeah, Buemi can piss off. Drove like a jackass all race long. Really hope he loses this championship now.

Other than that, another cracking race. Shame Simona faded right at the end, she could've got points at long last.
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
andrew

Post by andrew »

Well that had some interesting battles. I would be shocked if neither Buemi or Jeroeme get a penalty for all of that (Jeroeme may get one for Corning cutting to get back past Prost)

On a side note, the race director wasn't too good at showing replays today, we never found out what happened to Vergne, Da Costa, Abt, we didn't see Bird overtake Heidfeild and we didn't see Frinjs overtake all those cars towards the end of the race.
Bobby Doorknobs

Like his compatriot Jean-Denis Délétraz over twenty years ago, we are forced to ask what is Buemi doing?

The battle between him and d'Ambrosio was exciting to watch. Mistakes were made, things got confusing, it settled down again, it remained close. Brilliant stuff.
#FreeGonzo
dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

What is it about drivers called Sebastian (and spelling variants as we have here) in front-running cars that gives them this sense of entitlement to wave away the rest of the field as if they weren't there, or at least have the opposition roll out the red carpet? Good on Custard for not treating him like royalty. I wonder how the stewards will see it...

I was all set to give ROTR to Antonio Felix da Costa until I heard the stewards had been blithering idiots in some of the penalties they'd handed out to him. I now expect, when Roobarb and Custard are called in to see them, they'll end up awarding the race win to Manchester United.
Dj_bereta

Post by Dj_bereta »

Di Grassi was disqualified again. What's happening in ABT!? He will lose another title due these silly mistakes from the team. Although Buemi is trying very hard to lose the title in this year.

Another thing I'm observing is the inability of Senna doing clean starts. He is making contact with someone in almost every race start.
Waiting for Lotus hiring Johnny Cecotto jr.
AxelP800

Post by AxelP800 »

Ah lost to Bereta by few minutes but okay
http://www.motorsport.com/formula-e/new ... in-679145/

Abt Team has teached us How Not To Win A Title. Omg while I was watching the race I was thinking "What if Di Grassi actually has problems thus this Ambrosio vs Buemi is race win fight and it turns out IT IS :D :D :D Buemi must have regretted not to overtake Ambrosio. Happy for Jerome D'Ambrosio wins again which means all his wins comes with an original second place finish with Di Grassi DSQ. I don't want to start a myth here....

Talking about the track, I can't help to not really like it but this tech is still on early days, might be in several years the amount of chicanes will be reduced.

Abt: :facepalm:
Rio Haryanto for the win!
He upon seeing me accidentaly paint Belgian flag rotated 90 deg to right
tommykl returns from the bathroom
tommykl reads the chat logs
tommykl has a stroke
Miguel98

Post by Miguel98 »

Oh, Abt... :facepalm:

Second time this happens. Makes me question myself what is the team doing to make this sort of mistakes. Stewards got some pretty bad decisions: the Prost one specially. Baffling :facepalm:

And no comment on Da Costa's weekend. Forced to do a gearbox switch, which got him the grid penalty, and then got his first car ruined by a certain brasilian related to a triple F1 champion.. And no, it wasn't Piquet. Then more penalties. God, both him and JEV are so unlucky. GOD, GIVE THEM LUCK!!!

Fairly good race overall. Nice to see Custard win with Di Grassi's penalty. Fairly happy with it. :)