Williams-Renault

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
Paul Hayes

Williams-Renault

Post by Paul Hayes »

"Never go back" they say, and it's usually admirable advice. With all the gossip seemingly indicating that Williams will be going all nostalgic on us next year and taking us right back to the 1990s with a change of engine supplier, do you think it will work out for them? With budgets coming down - and the possibility that after having been chucked out of FOTA they may go ahead and use KERS while nobody else does - they could be dark horses for some wins 2010... Or am I, as someone who came to F1 in the 1990s and remembers the halcyon days of those blue and white Rothmans cars, just being ridiculously hopeful that they might conjure some of the old magic?
Phoenix

Re: Williams-Renault

Post by Phoenix »

If the Renault engine works this year for Red Bull, surely will work nice on Williams. The chassis they use this year is good.
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

Unless a certain Japanese fellow, KN, tries to get revenge on Toyota's behalf, it could work out ok.
As long as engines stop blowing up, Renault RS27 is a pretty good engine.
Novitopoli wrote:Everytime someone orders at Pizza Hut, an Italian dies.
Novitopoli wrote:Juve's Triplete: Calciopoli, doping & Mafia connections.

Image Image
Irisado

Post by Irisado »

The engine has only been unreliable for Red Bull this year, which suggests that there are installation issues with it in Adrian Newey's design, which isn't unheard of, since he likes to tightly package components, in order to obtain excellent aerodynamic performance, and this has led to reliability problems in the past (Leyton House March and McLaren cars that he designed in certain years spring to mind, along with previous Red Bull cars).

I think Williams are possibly sensing that Toyota's long term commitment to Formula 1 is looking a bit shaky, and the Toyota engine has never really looked that convincing in any the customer teams that have used it in my opinion, so a change of engine supplier does make sense for Williams on the face of it.
My favourite teams: Minardi, Forti, Osella

Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

The Toyota engine is reliable...and thats about it really. Pretty unspectacular...like Toyota road cars I guess.
Novitopoli wrote:Everytime someone orders at Pizza Hut, an Italian dies.
Novitopoli wrote:Juve's Triplete: Calciopoli, doping & Mafia connections.

Image Image
CarlosFerreira

Post by CarlosFerreira »

I think it'll be a good idea. Renault's KERS is apparently a bit hopeless, and Renault has had a foot in and a foot out for some time now. I wonder - and this is mere speculation - if Renault would consider folding the team in a couple, and supplying Williams and RBR if the partnerships are successful? Also, note my signature...
Stay home, Colin Kolles!
DonTirri
Location: Herttoniemi, Helsinki, Finland, Europe, Earth, Sol System, Milky Way.

Post by DonTirri »

CarlosFerreira wrote:I think it'll be a good idea. Renault's KERS is apparently a bit hopeless, and Renault has had a foot in and a foot out for some time now. I wonder - and this is mere speculation - if Renault would consider folding the team in a couple, and supplying Williams and RBR if the partnerships are successful? Also, note my signature...

Hmm... Renault having couple of succesfull seasons, then falls to mediocrity. Decides to start supplying engines to other teams and eventually folds the factory team to only supply engines. Couple of seasons supplying other teams then working with Williams. If that is followed by BIG success... Then all I can say is history does repeat itself :D
I got Pointed Opinions and I ain't afraid to use em!
F1rejects no.1Räikkönen and Vettel fan.
BTW, thats Räikkönen with two K's and two N's. Not Raikonnen (Raikkonen is fine if you have no umlauts though)
Yannick

Post by Yannick »

Yes, Renault should be a good choice for them.
But the bigger question is what engine will be powering the Brawns next year.
"I don't think we should be used to finance (the manufacturers') R&D because they will produce that engine anyway" said Monisha Kaltenborn.
"You will never see a Mercedes using a Ferrari engine or the other way round."
Waris

Post by Waris »

Yannick wrote:Yes, Renault should be a good choice for them.

Mercedes so far seems to be the most likely, unless they decide to go with Red Bull. Though, Brawn-Ferrari would be funny. :D

Edited to add: I just realized, that if Williams get Renault engines back next year, Renault won't be able to supply Red Bull unless they get approval from (who was it again, either FIA or the other teams? Or both?), and suppose that won't happen, then Red Bull could very well go with Mercedes engines, in which case Brawn could end up with Toyota. That would be awesome!
MOTOR RACING IS DANGEROUS
CarlosFerreira

Post by CarlosFerreira »

Waris wrote:
Yannick wrote:Yes, Renault should be a good choice for them.

Mercedes so far seems to be the most likely, unless they decide to go with Red Bull. Though, Brawn-Ferrari would be funny. :D

Edited to add: I just realized, that if Williams get Renault engines back next year, Renault won't be able to supply Red Bull unless they get approval from (who was it again, either FIA or the other teams? Or both?), and suppose that won't happen, then Red Bull could very well go with Mercedes engines, in which case Brawn could end up with Toyota. That would be awesome!

I think there was a change in the rules, saying each manufacturer can now supply 4 teams. I definitely heard something on the BBC.
Stay home, Colin Kolles!
Tealy

Post by Tealy »

They would have to change the regs or the new teams would struggle for engines. Or are they being supplied by a new engine manufacturer (like the once mentionned standard Cosworth engines)?
Captain Hammer

Post by Captain Hammer »

CarlosFerreira wrote:I think there was a change in the rules, saying each manufacturer can now supply 4 teams. I definitely heard something on the BBC.

That's the plan. I also believe that's a leading cause of he FIA's insistence that new teams run a Cosworth; without the Cossies, three suppliers could pretty much monopolise the engine market.
mario wrote:I'm wondering what the hell has been going on in this thread [...] it's turned into a bizarre detour into mythical flying horses and the sort of search engine results that CoopsII is going to have a very hard time explaining ...
Fitch

Post by Fitch »

According to Bob Varsha, during Speed's Spa Practice coverage, Mercedes have said they are ready to supply 4 teams with engines and that they have 5 teams lined up wanting lumps
Rentragmuab Tlosz!!!!!
thehemogoblin

Post by thehemogoblin »

Let's see, for next year, the engines...

The newbie teams on Cosworth-- 3
Mercedes-powered teams-- 4
Ferrari- 1

And that doesn't include Renault, Toyota, or possibly-rebadged BMW powerplants.

There's a possibility that the BMWs go away, that Toyota leaves the sport, and there could only be 5 engine suppliers. That's simply too concentrated, in my opinion.
Many Blue Flags

Post by Many Blue Flags »

F3000 works fine with only Honda, Mercedes and VW power, I don't see the problem with so few engine suppliers.
Also Known As 'Mr Two-Seconds-Off-The-Pace'

YAFUGGA BLOODY GAFUGGOV is all I say to you.
thehemogoblin

Post by thehemogoblin »

Many Blue Flags wrote:F3000 works fine with only Honda, Mercedes and VW power, I don't see the problem with so few engine suppliers.

More diversity, more parity, different teams suited to different tracks, and a broader spectrum of results. To me, it's boring when you can say with certainty the same 8 drivers will be in the top 10... (That's Hamilton, Alonso, Raikonnen, Vettel, Webber, Button, Barichello, Rosberg)
jackanderton

Post by jackanderton »

With the terrible decision to remove re-fuelling pitstops, the variables reduce further. Without the proper aerodynamics to allow overtaking, and the increasing reliability of F1 cars, there isn't enough in-race action going on.

This season has been appalling for car racing but has been smoothed over because 1)Brawn surprised everyone at the start 2)Some high profile teams under performed 3)Red Bull won their first race 4)All that FOTA bollocks 5)Teams have developed the cars to different extents which has shuffled the pack.

But when you get down to it, you get about 3/4 laps of racing, and after that it's a case of who takes who in the pits. Take out the pits variable and you're reducing the sport to about 7/8 minutes of entertainment at a dull place like Valencia.

Going back on topic, I hope Williams can make it work- Renault's engine this year isn't terrible, but it isn't great either. They can't blame everything on their chassis design.