Bortolotti may replace Badoer after Spa

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
Henrique

Bortolotti may replace Badoer after Spa

Post by Henrique »

According to some sites, Mirko Bortolotti, a F2 driver, may replace Badoer after Spa. Montezemolo seems to like him, since he was the best of the three F3 drivers that Ferrari tested. He's 19 years old.
lostpin

Re: Bortolotti may replace Badoer after Spa

Post by lostpin »

Noooooooooooooooooo..... :)
An animator that happens to love racing... :)
http://lostpin.net
CarlosFerreira

Post by CarlosFerreira »

Italian driver in a Ferrari? That'll be the end of his career, then.
Stay home, Colin Kolles!
deCrasheris

Post by deCrasheris »

He says that he's focused on the F2 championship
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/78004
RIP Dan Wheldon 1978-2011
Warren Hughes

Post by Warren Hughes »

That would make him the first child of the 90s to race in F1 (which makes me feel old, as a child of 1989!). He's too young and inexperienced, surely, and it's not like Ferrari to throw a 19 year old in straight away. They may as well keep Luca; if Bortolotti comes in and gets soundly beaten every week (like Luca did at Valencia) then it could affect him psychologically and do huge harm to his career. At least Badoer's career is nearly over, so any psychological damage he suffers won't affect it too much.
Nico Rosberg wrote:Break me down mentally? Good luck with that one.

:roll:
shinji
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by shinji »

Last time Ferrari gave a driver his first race - Arturo Merzario in 1972 (I think).

Doubt this will happen. Though you never know - who'd have predicted Badoer stepping in for Schumacher before Q2 in Hungary!

Warren Hughes wrote:That would make him the first child of the 90s to race in F1

Alguersuari was born in 1990.
Better than 'Tour in a suit case' Takagi.
fjackdaw

Post by fjackdaw »

I find it unlikely. It's entirely possible he won't do any better than Badoer, and they don't even know yet how Badoer is going to go in Spa. I think if they do replace him, it'll be with an experience driver like Piquet.
Tealy

Post by Tealy »

This one doesn't make sense to me either. Ferrari only need a driver to see the season out so I highly doubt they will go for a young driver. If Badoer does get dropped I would expect to see Gene/Piquet/Bourdais back or a driver from another team making the step up.

Still though, the idea of an F1 driver from the 1990's does frighten me a little, even if Alguersuari is also younger than me!
fjackdaw

Post by fjackdaw »

Of course, if Bortolotti does replace Badoer, that'll be a driver from the 90s being replaced by a driver from the 90s.
Warren Hughes

Post by Warren Hughes »

shinji wrote:
Warren Hughes wrote:That would make him the first child of the 90s to race in F1

Alguersuari was born in 1990.

Whoops :oops:

Note to self: don't assume knowledge without checking first
Nico Rosberg wrote:Break me down mentally? Good luck with that one.

:roll:
LionZoo

Post by LionZoo »

I'm starting the campaign for Sato for Ferrari right now. So here goes:

SATO TO FERRARI!
Klon
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Klon »

LionZoo wrote:I'm starting the campaign for Sato for Ferrari right now. So here goes:

SATO TO FERRARI!

+ INFINITY

But I doubt that they'll replace Badoer as I personally believe that he'll do quite better at Spa (or let's say it otherwise: he won't be so embarrising XD).
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

LionZoo wrote:SATO TO FERRARI!

+100 internets to you my friend.
Novitopoli wrote:Everytime someone orders at Pizza Hut, an Italian dies.
Novitopoli wrote:Juve's Triplete: Calciopoli, doping & Mafia connections.

Image Image
WeirdKerr
Location: on the edge of nowhere with a ludicrous grid penalty.....

Post by WeirdKerr »

I will start a counter Campaign for HWSNBN to Ferrari.....
Many Blue Flags

Post by Many Blue Flags »

Also Known As 'Mr Two-Seconds-Off-The-Pace'

YAFUGGA BLOODY GAFUGGOV is all I say to you.
Tealy

Post by Tealy »

Personally I would like to see Anthony Davidson get the drive. But for now let's hope Badoer proves us all wrong in Spa, for all we know he might only drive well on interesting circuits.
fjackdaw

Post by fjackdaw »

Tealy wrote:Personally I would like to see Anthony Davidson get the drive. But for now let's hope Badoer proves us all wrong in Spa, for all we know he might only drive well on interesting circuits.

And who could blame him?
Waris

Post by Waris »

Does anyone remember how he drove last time he raced in Belgium? The only thing it says on his F1Rejects.com profile is that he was fighting with Villeneuve at some point in the race, though that wasn't much of an achievement in itself in 1999.
MOTOR RACING IS DANGEROUS
minrdi

Post by minrdi »

Waris wrote:Does anyone remember how he drove last time he raced in Belgium? The only thing it says on his F1Rejects.com profile is that he was fighting with Villeneuve at some point in the race, though that wasn't much of an achievement in itself in 1999.

Yeah, he and Gene were battling with Villeneuve for much of the race, but Badoer took way to much kerb at the Bus Stop chicane and destroyed his suspension(I have footage from the 1999 season review of him leaping the chicane completely airborne). It started a sequence of 5 DNFs through to the end of the season and his tenure at Minardi.
"The advantage of jumping the start is that you can get away a lot quicker." - Murray Walker

Editor, Richard's F1
Visit my F1 website at http://richardsf1.com
Exclusive news, reviews and interviews for F1, IndyCar, V8 Supercars and the WTCC
Irisado

Post by Irisado »

Yes, Belgium 1999 was the race meeting where BAR had both their race cars destroyed by Villeneuve and Zonta in massive crashes at Eau Rouge, and Villeneuve finally got his first finish of the year, after eleven DNFs in a row, in 15th place, ahead only of Gené.

I remember Badoer's trip over the Bus Stop chicane in 1999 wrecking the suspension too. If the chicane were still the same now, a driver could probably perform the same manoeuvre and not break the suspension on a 2009 car, seeing as the wretched things seem to be almost totally indestructible (apart from the front wings).

Badoer's record at Spa isn't all that great in the races, unfortunately:

1993: BMS Scuderia Italia Lola - Ferrari: Q24 P13, 2 laps behind.
1995: Minardi-Cosworth: Q19 R 23 laps-accident.
1996: Forti-Cosworth: Team didn't compete.
1999: Minardi-Cosworth: Q20 R 33 laps-suspension

He hasn't been slow around there driving for Minardi though, and his crash in 1995 was as a result of having a big battle with his team mate at the time, who he went off the road trying to pass. He also was comfortably quicker than Alboreto in 1993, and was ahead of Gené, if I recall correctly, when he mangled his suspension in 1999, so am I am expecting a much better performance than they which he gave in Valencia.

As was said earlier, maybe the fact Spa is a decent and interesting circuit will also inspire him to go quicker. After all, if somebody said to me (if I had not been driving an F1 car for nearly ten years) that they wanted me to make my comeback at Valencia, I wouldn't have known whether to laugh or cry!
My favourite teams: Minardi, Forti, Osella

Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente
CarlosFerreira

Post by CarlosFerreira »

Autosport's John Noble is tweeting Fizzie Keller is being mentioned as the best candidate to take over from Luca.
Stay home, Colin Kolles!
Nuppiz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nuppiz »

CarlosFerreira wrote:Autosport's John Noble is tweeting Fizzie Keller is being mentioned as the best candidate to take over from Luca.

Fizzie who? Never heard of him before... :?
Eurosport broadcast for the 1990 Mexican GP prequalifying:
"The Life, it looked very lifeless yet again... in fact Bruno did one, slow lap"
shinji
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by shinji »

I think Fizzy Keller is a nickname for Fisichella. God I hope he doesn't get a Ferrari drive.
Better than 'Tour in a suit case' Takagi.
CarlosFerreira

Post by CarlosFerreira »

Nuppiz wrote:
CarlosFerreira wrote:Autosport's John Noble is tweeting Fizzie Keller is being mentioned as the best candidate to take over from Luca.

Giancarlo Fisichella's alter ego.
Stay home, Colin Kolles!
Nuppiz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nuppiz »

CarlosFerreira wrote:
Nuppiz wrote:

Giancarlo Fisichella's alter ego.

Ah, should have recognized that...
Eurosport broadcast for the 1990 Mexican GP prequalifying:
"The Life, it looked very lifeless yet again... in fact Bruno did one, slow lap"
Yannick

Post by Yannick »

It makes absolutely no sense of kicking out Luca once he has settled himself comfortably in the car, and he will become comfortable with the car this weekend. So succumbing to the desire of the press and other ramblers and replace him for Monza would be the worst thing that Ferrari could do, because then, the whole acclimatisation process would start anew again for the replacement driver.
Just look at why Renault kept Nelsinho Piquet in their car for so long and learn from them. They did the right thing and kept him on.
Even Sato-san or Villeneuve-san or Bourdais-san couldn't do better than Luca. Much less a rookie even.
Luca Badoer is the man, so please let him be it for a few races more.
After all, Massa will be back next year.
"I don't think we should be used to finance (the manufacturers') R&D because they will produce that engine anyway" said Monisha Kaltenborn.
"You will never see a Mercedes using a Ferrari engine or the other way round."
CarlosFerreira

Post by CarlosFerreira »

Yannick wrote:It makes absolutely no sense of kicking out Luca once he has settled himself comfortably in the car, and he will become comfortable with the car this weekend. So succumbing to the desire of the press and other ramblers and replace him for Monza would be the worst thing that Ferrari could do, because then, the whole acclimatisation process would start anew again for the replacement driver.
Just look at why Renault kept Nelsinho Piquet in their car for so long and learn from them. They did the right thing and kept him on.
Even Sato-san or Villeneuve-san or Bourdais-san couldn't do better than Luca. Much less a rookie even.
Luca Badoer is the man, so please let him be it for a few races more.
After all, Massa will be back next year.

Badoer is not comfortable, and won't become comfortable. His dismal performance in Valencia has made him the laughing stock of the whole F1 Circus. Not only was he dog slow, he was inconsistent and committed a series of rather unfortunate and childish mistakes: the 4 pit lane speeding tickets, the drive-through caused by stepping the white line, the being passed by Grosjean while leaving the pit lane, rear-ending Sutil in parc fermè...

Remember the concept of ROTR is not just someone that's slow, but someone who is rubbish? That fails in style? That's Badoer in Valencia.
Stay home, Colin Kolles!
muttley

Post by muttley »

CarlosFerreira wrote:Badoer is not comfortable, and won't become comfortable. His dismal performance in Valencia has made him the laughing stock of the whole F1 Circus. Not only was he dog slow, he was inconsistent and committed a series of rather unfortunate and childish mistakes: the 4 pit lane speeding tickets, the drive-through caused by stepping the white line, the being passed by Grosjean while leaving the pit lane, rear-ending Sutil in parc fermè...

Remember the concept of ROTR is not just someone that's slow, but someone who is rubbish? That fails in style? That's Badoer in Valencia.

It's always darkest before the dawn.
JDOD

Post by JDOD »

Well I'm listening to the Friday practice from Spa and Badoer is still totally gash. Making loads of errors and is dead last, well off the ultimate pace.

He will be replaced for Monza. Probably by Jules Bianchi, which would be very unusual for Ferrari to give a young driver a shot.

Personally I think Liuzzi, Piquet or Bourdais would all be better bets.
fjackdaw

Post by fjackdaw »

I think Badoer's performance in Valencia is forgivable, but he has promised to improve for Spa. If he doesn't, he should be replaced. I'm a big Badoer fan, and I hate the sneery remarks from the commentators and suchlike. If he's going to trog around at the back for every race, we all need to be saved the humiliation.

But his replacement shouldn't be a new guy, it should be someone who's raced within the last year or two.
Ferrim

Post by Ferrim »

Irisado wrote:After all, if somebody said to me (if I had not been driving an F1 car for nearly ten years) that they wanted me to make my comeback at Valencia, I wouldn't have known whether to laugh or cry!

Well he has been. What he hasn't done is competing.
Go home, Bernie Ecclestone!

"There will be no other victory this year, I can tell you, more welcomed than this one" Bob Varsha, 1995 Canadian GP

F1 Rejects Forums – going off-topic since 2009!
RAK

Post by RAK »

Looks like Badoer is out. Despite his improvement near the end of practice, his results are hardly befitting of a Ferrari racer. Pity, as I'm sure you'll all agree.
Predicament Predictions Champion, 2011, 2018, 2019

They weren't the world's most competent team,
In fact, to be believed, their results must be seen,
Lola,
M-Mastercard Lola,
L, O, L, A, Lola!
fjackdaw

Post by fjackdaw »

It looks like he's out, but we have to wait and see if - however unlikely - he manages to get himself together for qualifying and the race.
Tealy

Post by Tealy »

Yeah you simply cannot be that slow and get away with it in modern F1. I would imagine Gene will get the drive at Monza myself but we will see.
Irisado

Post by Irisado »

fjackdaw wrote:I think Badoer's performance in Valencia is forgivable, but he has promised to improve for Spa. If he doesn't, he should be replaced. I'm a big Badoer fan, and I hate the sneery remarks from the commentators and suchlike. If he's going to trog around at the back for every race, we all need to be saved the humiliation.

But his replacement shouldn't be a new guy, it should be someone who's raced within the last year or two.

I agree with you in every respect.

Practice doesn't look to good for Badoer so far, although he was closer to the pace than he was in Valencia, but it's not going to be quick enough unfortunately to keep the seat, so he's going to have to find something for qualifying and the race if he wants to continue.

As for possible replacements, they were saying on Five Live today, that there is no point in putting someone from another formula in the car, so it would have to be an experienced driver, but who could Ferrari pick? Gené perhaps, but I don't see him performing that much better.
My favourite teams: Minardi, Forti, Osella

Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

Irisado wrote:As for possible replacements, they were saying on Five Live today, that there is no point in putting someone from another formula in the car, so it would have to be an experienced driver, but who could Ferrari pick? Gené perhaps, but I don't see him performing that much better.

Gene is not going to be much faster than Badoer, I think, and I doubt they'd let Piquet or Bourdais in the car, though I might be wrong about that. If they get rid of Badoer, then there's not really much harm to be done putting someone like Bortolotti in the car; after all, he can't be much worse than Badoer was at Valencia, now, can he?
Sebastian Vettel wrote:If I was good at losing I wouldn't be in Formula 1.
Everything's great.
I'm not surprised about anything.
CarlosFerreira

Post by CarlosFerreira »

muttley wrote:
CarlosFerreira wrote:Badoer is not comfortable, and won't become comfortable. His dismal performance in Valencia has made him the laughing stock of the whole F1 Circus. Not only was he dog slow, he was inconsistent and committed a series of rather unfortunate and childish mistakes: the 4 pit lane speeding tickets, the drive-through caused by stepping the white line, the being passed by Grosjean while leaving the pit lane, rear-ending Sutil in parc fermè...

It's always darkest before the dawn.

That's the time when most crashes happen.
Stay home, Colin Kolles!
Ed24

Post by Ed24 »

Replying to all the rumours, Ferrari has now published a (near complete) alphabet of names linked to Massa's seat
http://www.ferrari.com/English/News/Pages/090827_F1_Waiting_list.aspx

"A as in Fernando Alonso
B as in Jules Bianchi, Mirko Bortolotti and Sebastien Bourdais
C as in David Coulthard
D as in Anthony Davidson
F as in Giancarlo Fisichella and Luca Filippi
G as in Marc Gené
H as in Nico Hulkenberg
K as in Robert Kubica
L as in André Lotterer and Vitantonio Liuzzi
P as in Nelson Piquet (Jr.) and Giorgio Pantano
R as in Valentino Rossi and Davide Rigon
S as in Takuma Sato and Bruno Senna
T as in Jarno Trulli
V as in Jos Verstappen"

Very disappointing that there are not many rejects on that list, in particular HWNSNBM... :(
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet"
-Abraham Lincoln
Paul Hayes

Post by Paul Hayes »

Who the hell in the media has suggested that Jos Verstappen should drive the thing? I thought the BBC website's notion of putting David Coulthard in the car was absurd enough...
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

Paul Hayes wrote:Who the hell in the media has suggested that Jos Verstappen should drive the thing? I thought the BBC website's notion of putting David Coulthard in the car was absurd enough...

Probably the Dutch media, if they get behind their drivers to the extent the British and Spanish media does. Though I would love to see Jos the Boss in a Ferrari.
Sebastian Vettel wrote:If I was good at losing I wouldn't be in Formula 1.
Everything's great.
I'm not surprised about anything.