trivia question....

The place for anything and everything else to do with F1 history, different forms of motorsport, and all other randomness
mario

Re: trivia question....

Post by mario »

Ferrim wrote:Without checking: 2 points in 1980?

Correct: those two points came courtesy of 5th place in the 4th round at Long Beach, mainly through attrition (there were ten classified finishers).
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
tommykl

Post by tommykl »

Phoenix wrote:
DonTirri wrote:
Phoenix wrote:And...what World Champion went the other way round (from hero to zero)?

Alberto Ascari. Champion 53 retired on all races 54

Correct.

Not completely. Ascari still took the fastest lap in Italy and was one of the seven to take it in Great Britain, so technically, he scored 1.14 points in 1954.
kevinbotz wrote:Cantonese is a completely nonsensical f*cking alien language masquerading as some grossly bastardised form of Chinese

Gonzo wrote:Wasn't there some sort of communisim in the East part of Germany?
eagleash

Post by eagleash »

The .14 of a point was never actually awarded, but Ascari officially scored 1 point in 1954.

JV scored no points, 2 years after becoming Champion I think....
DemocalypseNow wrote: when eagleash of all people says you've gone too far about something you just know that's when to apply the brakes and do a U-turn.
Shizuka

Post by Shizuka »

eagleash wrote:JV scored no points, 2 years after becoming Champion I think....

Exactly: he had 0 points with the BAR(/Reynard chassis technically...)-Supertec (/Renault rebadge) in 1999.

Code: Select all

14:03   RaikkonenPlsCare   There's some water in water
Alianora La Canta

Post by Alianora La Canta »

Hawthorn and Prost both went from world champion to no points in any racing series in 12 months flat, though calling either of those transitions "hero to zero" is a bit cruel; not only had both of them retired, but Hawthorn was dead by the time the following season had started.
eagleash

Post by eagleash »

Alianora La Canta wrote:Hawthorn and Prost both went from world champion to no points in any racing series in 12 months flat, though calling either of those transitions "hero to zero" is a bit cruel; not only had both of them retired, but Hawthorn was dead by the time the following season had started.

I'd kept away from that one... :(.........same applies to Rindt;.. & Stewart also retired as Champ.....
DemocalypseNow wrote: when eagleash of all people says you've gone too far about something you just know that's when to apply the brakes and do a U-turn.
ibsey

Post by ibsey »

OK this might be an easy question, but I'll throw it out there nevertheless. Can you name the driver who managed to achieve the longest recorded spin ever? & in which race did that driver achieve this magnificent feat?
Coming January 2019 a new F1 book revisiting 1994.

Pre order it here; www.performancepublishing.co.uk/1994-th ... eason.html

The book's website; www.1994f1.com/
Bleu

Post by Bleu »

Stephane Sarrazin in Interlagos 1999? Well, it was a crash but his car spun about six times around after it.
ibsey

Post by ibsey »

Bleu wrote:Stephane Sarrazin in Interlagos 1999? Well, it was a crash but his car spun about six times around after it.

Nice try but unfortunately not. Just to clarify, I'm looking for the longest single spin (both in terms of distance & time).

tommykl

Post by tommykl »

Could it be Liuzzi at the Nürbürgring in 2007? IIRC, he never actually hit the wall...
kevinbotz wrote:Cantonese is a completely nonsensical f*cking alien language masquerading as some grossly bastardised form of Chinese

ibsey

Post by ibsey »

tommykl wrote:Could it be Liuzzi at the Nürbürgring in 2007? IIRC, he never actually hit the wall...

Not him either, i'm afraid.

Shizuka

Post by Shizuka »

ibsey wrote:Can you name the driver who managed to achieve the longest recorded spin ever? & in which race did that driver achieve this magnificent feat?

Liuzzi did at least 3 360° spins before he lightly hit a tractor with the back of his car in the gravel trap at Nürb 2007.

Code: Select all

14:03   RaikkonenPlsCare   There's some water in water
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

Not likely to be correct, but Kubica's spin off the track, 2008 British Grand Prix.
I like the way Snrub thinks!
James1978

Post by James1978 »

The one that just comes to the top of my head is Gerhard Berger in practice/qualifying for the 1988 German Prix. It's on the year review video where Stirling Moss says "The car was virtually undamaged, but it must have scared the hell out of him"!!!
"Poor old Warwick takes it from behind all throughout this season". :) (Tony Jardine, 1988)
ibsey

Post by ibsey »

redbulljack14 wrote:Not likely to be correct, but Kubica's spin off the track, 2008 British Grand Prix.

Not Luizzi @ Nurburgring 2007.

Not Kubica in 2008 British GP.

Not Gerhard Berger in the 1988 German Prix.

Off to watch the GP now, will check back after the race

dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

ibsey wrote:
redbulljack14 wrote:Not likely to be correct, but Kubica's spin off the track, 2008 British Grand Prix.

Not Luizzi @ Nurburgring 2007.

Not Kubica in 2008 British GP.

Not Gerhard Berger in the 1988 German Prix.

Off to watch the GP now, will check back after the race

Sarrazin was my first guess, but clearly not then. Was it Massa at a soaking Silverstone the other year?
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
WeirdKerr
Location: on the edge of nowhere with a ludicrous grid penalty.....

Post by WeirdKerr »

Alesi in the German GP in 2000???
ibsey

Post by ibsey »

WeirdKerr wrote:Alesi in the German GP in 2000???

You've got Alesi correct, but its in a different race.

Peter

Post by Peter »

Here's one. How many drivers won their only race at Monaco and whom are they? Plus what year did they win?
"The FIA's implementation of penalties is about as effective as that of the English football team."
ibsey

Post by ibsey »

Peter wrote:Here's one. How many drivers won their only race at Monaco and whom are they? Plus what year did they win?

I'm guessing W. Williams who won the 1st ever Monaco GP was one driver?

BTW to full answer my last question, RE; the driver who managed to achieve the longest recorded spin ever? & in which race did that driver achieve this magnificent feat? (since it appears everyone has given up).

Alesi at France 1992 was the answer I was looking for. At one point in the race, Alesi stayed out on slicks in torrential rain (only driver to do so), & managed to spin from outside the Estoril turn (Turn 3) all the way to the inside concrete wall some distance away.

Perhaps a close second is JV spin during the wet Quali for the 1998 Austrian GP.

AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

Also Trulli 2004! :)
I want my MTV...Simtek Ford

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

ibsey wrote:
Peter wrote:Here's one. How many drivers won their only race at Monaco and whom are they? Plus what year did they win?

I don't think so - William Grover-Williams won several races in the pre-F1 era, including the Belgian GP when it was part of the European Championship.

Panis in 1996 is another driver whose only win was at Monaco, as well as Guy Moll in 1934, and Jean-Pierre Beltoise in 1972.
Sebastian Vettel wrote:If I was good at losing I wouldn't be in Formula 1.
Everything's great.
I'm not surprised about anything.
ibsey

Post by ibsey »

BlindCaveSalamander wrote:
ibsey wrote:

I don't think so - William Grover-Williams won several races in the pre-F1 era, including the Belgian GP when it was part of the European Championship.

Panis in 1996 is another driver whose only win was at Monaco, as well as Guy Moll in 1934, and Jean-Pierre Beltoise in 1972.

Whoops. I misunderstood the question to mean drivers whom visted Monaco once & won on that only visit. (in other words unbeaten at Monaco. :oops:

Myrvold

Post by Myrvold »

Didn't Fisichella have a pretty good spin in Silverstone while driving for Jordan?
tommykl

Post by tommykl »

Who was the first Japanese driver to enter a world championship race?

cretoxyrhina

Post by cretoxyrhina »

Hiroshi Fushida
tommykl

Post by tommykl »

Yep. I saw loads of people only thought of the handful of drivers in the two Fuji races, but never heard of Fushida, who entered two races in 1975 in the Maki.

Well done!

dnhrudi

Post by dnhrudi »

tommykl wrote:Yep. I saw loads of people only thought of the handful of drivers in the two Fuji races, but never heard of Fushida, who entered two races in 1975 in the Maki.

Well done!

And Takahara the first formula 1 race at the ITRO in 74
TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

Here's one.

During the 1985 European Grand Prix John Watson had a moment where he realised that his time as a Grand Prix driver was effectively over. What was that moment?
Biscione wrote:"Some Turkemenistani gulag repurposed for residential use" is the best way yet I've heard to describe North / East Glasgow.
dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

Wizzie wrote:During the 1985 European Grand Prix John Watson had a moment where he realised that his time as a Grand Prix driver was effectively over. What was that moment?

A McLaren mechanic held out the pit board that said "NIKI WANTS HIS CAR BACK"...?

Let's see - two more races in the season, on in South Africa (could have caused a few troubles), one in Australia, and in 1986, Keke Rosberg drove the second McLaren. Might that have been the weekend that Keke annouced he'd signed for McLaren? Seems a bit late in the season to do so...
James Allen, on his favourite F1 engine of all time:
"...the Life W12, I can't describe the noise to you, but imagine filling your dustbin with nuts and bolts, and then throwing it down the stairs, it was something akin to that!"
Ben Gilbert

Post by Ben Gilbert »

Wizzie wrote:Here's one.

During the 1985 European Grand Prix John Watson had a moment where he realised that his time as a Grand Prix driver was effectively over. What was that moment?

Was it when he was lapped by his team-mate, and simultaneously used by said team-mate to pass de Angelis (I think)?
Cynon wrote:Look further down the field, enjoy the view of the little guys and/or crap drivers in cars too good for them giving their all for a meager result.

Because that's what I thought this forum celebrates the most.
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

My guess is that something happened during the race. He saw that he couldn't match the young guns, perhaps? After all he finished almost 2 laps behind his team-mate.
Colin Kolles on F111, 2011 HRT challenger: The car doesn't look too bad; it looks like a modern F1 car.
James1978

Post by James1978 »

I remember this one - it was in a programme which a tribute to Senna that was aired on (I think) New Year's Day 1995, Watson said Senna came past him in qualifying and Senna was doing things with the car that Watson had never even thought of, let alone put into practice.
"Poor old Warwick takes it from behind all throughout this season". :) (Tony Jardine, 1988)
TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

James1978 wrote:

I remember this one - it was in a programme which a tribute to Senna that was aired on (I think) New Year's Day 1995, Watson said Senna came past him in qualifying and Senna was doing things with the car that Watson had never even thought of, let alone put into practice.

BINGO! I was watching that same programme at the time of making that question on youtube.
Biscione wrote:"Some Turkemenistani gulag repurposed for residential use" is the best way yet I've heard to describe North / East Glasgow.
James1978

Post by James1978 »

I also vividly remember in that programme Martin Brundle talking about the time when him, Bellof and Senna all had a test in a McLaren in 1983, and him saying of the three, he was the only surviving one to that day......

Anyway, I have a question now. In the days of the pre-1996 car numbering system, which non-champion driver drove the same numbered car for three different teams and which number was it? (I put non-champion as I thought of Lauda having #1 at Ferrari in 1976, Brabham in 1978 and McLaren in 1985, it's not him)
TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

I'm just going to go for a wild guess and say it's Andrea De Cesaris or someone else whose driven for a ridiculous number of teams
James1978

Post by James1978 »

Wizzie wrote:I'm just going to go for a wild guess and say it's Andrea De Cesaris or someone else whose driven for a ridiculous number of teams

OOps, didn't think the question through properly. That one is right as he had 22 for Alfa, Rial and Dallara. Though he wasn't the one I was thinking of!
Jeroen Krautmeir

Post by Jeroen Krautmeir »

James1978 wrote:Bellof
Honourary Youngest Forum Member, Joint Mackem Of The Forum

"When you’re racing, it... it’s life. Anything that happens before or after... is just waiting".
TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

James1978 wrote:I also vividly remember in that programme Martin Brundle talking about the time when him, Bellof and Senna all had a test in a McLaren in 1983, and him saying of the three, he was the only surviving one to that day......

Speaking of tests in 1983 anyone want to hazard a guess as to who gave Senna his first F1 test?
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

Wizzie wrote:
James1978 wrote:I also vividly remember in that programme Martin Brundle talking about the time when him, Bellof and Senna all had a test in a McLaren in 1983, and him saying of the three, he was the only surviving one to that day......

Speaking of tests in 1983 anyone want to hazard a guess as to who gave Senna his first F1 test?

Wasn't Williams?
Colin Kolles on F111, 2011 HRT challenger: The car doesn't look too bad; it looks like a modern F1 car.