Bahrain - What a rubbish place to start a Championship!

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Bahrain - What a rubbish place to start a Championship!

Post by DanielPT »

golic_2004 wrote:http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/91911

Mostly about Bahrain in place of India and India going to December...Brawn says it is unacceptable. We F1 fans could live without Bahrain for a year.

Or many years...
Colin Kolles on F111, 2011 HRT challenger: The car doesn't look too bad; it looks like a modern F1 car.
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

DanielPT wrote:

Mostly about Bahrain in place of India and India going to December...Brawn says it is unacceptable. We F1 fans could live without Bahrain for a year.

Or many years...

Or decades...
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
Phoenix

Post by Phoenix »

dr-baker wrote:
DanielPT wrote:

Or many years...

Or decades...

Or forever.
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

It's news like this which questions why I am a F1 fan. There's now rumours that India might be cancelled to accomodate Bahrain. :( :(

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/formula_one/13608826.stm
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

East Londoner wrote:It's news like this which questions why I am a F1 fan. There's now rumours that India might be cancelled to accomodate Bahrain. :( :(

That would probably mean a contract breach with India and some sort of compensation being paid. Which is very much unlike Ecclestone. And that after giving to such trouble as putting Karthikeyan (read Indian driver) on the grid in time for the Indian GP. Can't really see that happen.
Colin Kolles on F111, 2011 HRT challenger: The car doesn't look too bad; it looks like a modern F1 car.
Ferrim

Post by Ferrim »

After hearing news of this I've decided to create the F1 Rejects "Go home, Bernie Ecclestone" association.

That is, if it doesn't exists already.
Go home, Bernie Ecclestone!

"There will be no other victory this year, I can tell you, more welcomed than this one" Bob Varsha, 1995 Canadian GP

F1 Rejects Forums – going off-topic since 2009!
dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

It's existed for years... it just needed a name.
James Allen, on his favourite F1 engine of all time:
"...the Life W12, I can't describe the noise to you, but imagine filling your dustbin with nuts and bolts, and then throwing it down the stairs, it was something akin to that!"
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

I think I would rather see racing at the unknown Buddh race track for the Indian GP than the guaranteed borefest of Borerain.
Last edited by dr-baker on 01 Jun 2011, 18:28, edited 1 time in total.
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
mario

Post by mario »

DanielPT wrote:
East Londoner wrote:It's news like this which questions why I am a F1 fan. There's now rumours that India might be cancelled to accomodate Bahrain. :( :(

That would probably mean a contract breach with India and some sort of compensation being paid. Which is very much unlike Ecclestone. And that after giving to such trouble as putting Karthikeyan (read Indian driver) on the grid in time for the Indian GP. Can't really see that happen.

Unless the occasional rumours that construction of the venue is running behind schedule were true - and the rumours seem to have melted away in recent months - I'd have to agree that it would be very unusual for Bernie to risk breaching the contract and losing so much money, unless the Bahrain GP brought in significantly more than the Indian GP (such that it would pay off the penalty fine for breach of contract and still make a profit).
Joe Saward is currently reporting that the teams held a meeting in Monaco, where it seems that the teams were not happy about going to Bahrain (and would tie in with the comments Brawn made recently about the proposed date being unacceptable). Although officially the line seems to be that the teams are refusing because of the date, it seems that there is also some disquiet about the longer term stability of the country, given the violent repression of the authorities, and concerns over whether their drivers and mechanics would be safe whilst in the country. http://joesaward.wordpress.com/2011/06/01/bahrain-2/

So, it looks like Bernie might have pulled his claims of support from the teams out of his wallet, because it seems that there is little support from the teams in reality.
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
Bleu

Post by Bleu »

Bernie was saying that medal system has 100% support from the teams, hence it was introduced that driver with most wins would win the championship. What happened next? Huge opposition by all the teams.
The Passenger

Post by The Passenger »

Max Mosley warns of PR disaster if Bahrain GP goes ahead

Max basically reiterates what everyone who isn't completely insane (everyone except Bernie, basically) has been saying for a while now.

Max also knows a thing or two about PR disasters (albeit ones that are rather amusing instead of utterly horrible), so maybe he could try to talk Bernie out of this... :mrgreen:
We see the stars that shine so bright
Stars made for us tonight

I am not "The Passenger" from Autosport's forum
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

Londoner

Post by Londoner »

Collantine has got some great links, including the viewpoints of Webber and Damon Hill.

http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2011/06/03/36/
TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

There are reports on Sky and Al Jazeera that the race is going ahead. Will look for links.
Biscione wrote:"Some Turkemenistani gulag repurposed for residential use" is the best way yet I've heard to describe North / East Glasgow.
Ferrim

Post by Ferrim »

My God, am I just wishing Mosley was FIA president instead of Todt? Am I REALLY wishing it?

Go home, Bernie Ecclestone! And please, Mr. Todt, follow him.

"There will be no other victory this year, I can tell you, more welcomed than this one" Bob Varsha, 1995 Canadian GP

TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

False alarm. Turns out it was just a tweet from the Bahraini Government Information Bureau or whatever the hell it's called.
Biscione wrote:"Some Turkemenistani gulag repurposed for residential use" is the best way yet I've heard to describe North / East Glasgow.
TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2011/jun/03/bahrain-government-official-grand-prix

Bernard Charles Ecclestone, you are now obliged to go home. :evil:

Then again I'ld probably wait for the FIA line first.
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

Wizzie wrote:http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2011/jun/03/bahrain-government-official-grand-prix

Bernard Charles Ecclestone, you are now obliged to go home. :evil:

Then again I'ld probably wait for the FIA line first.

The article is about the tweet from the official, so I don''t think any decision has been made yet. I hope...
mario

Post by mario »

The Passenger wrote:Max Mosley warns of PR disaster if Bahrain GP goes ahead

Max basically reiterates what everyone who isn't completely insane (everyone except Bernie, basically) has been saying for a while now.

Max also knows a thing or two about PR disasters (albeit ones that are rather amusing instead of utterly horrible), so maybe he could try to talk Bernie out of this... :mrgreen:

It's a rare thing when Max is being congratulated in public for being sensible and level headed - the problem is, although Max is probably on good terms with Bernie still, he doesn't have the power of influence of the FIA behind him any more, just his own words. In addition, whilst Bernie might still have a noticeable holding in FOM, CVC are the ones who, owning the most shares in the company, will probably have the final say - and they have remained conspicuously silent on the matter so far.

Now The Guardian has also decided to comment on the issue http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2011/ju ... grand-prix and it seems that the teams are indeed united - united, that is, against going. They don't want to go, it seems, because they do not want to send their mechanics and drivers out to a volatile region - both for employee safety, and financial reasons (such as loss of insurance protection and breaching the rights of their employees to take time off).

Tacitly, though, it seems that the FIA might be helping Bernie out here by moving the final decision date - because the Bahraini government lifted its state of emergency on Wednesday, it means that the teams might no longer be able to cite the clause in the Concorde Agreement that covers "civil strife" that would have allowed the teams to not go to Bahrain.
Because of that, if any team did not show up, it would forfeit its share of the money paid by the organisers, plus forfeit their share of the media rights for that race - a substantial financial penalty, before the issue of compensation comes up. Given that the teams probably could not afford to turn down the entry money - and the cost of reimbursing the media rights would probably bankrupt most of the teams - they seem to have agreed, though, that if FOM and the FIA demand they attend, they will attend, albeit reluctantly.
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
Ferrim

Post by Ferrim »

I've just decided that I won't be watching or following at all this FARCE.

I started this as a joke, but now I'm serious. Bernie must go home as soon as possible.

Londoner

Post by Londoner »

Absolutely bathplugging ridiculous! :evil: :evil: The sooner Bernie is removed the better. This is going to be an absolute PR disaster for F1, and I hope the teams do boycott.
shinji
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by shinji »

This is a new low.
Better than 'Tour in a suit case' Takagi.
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

This is absolute disaster... Obviously they want something to cover and distract people from the protesters and they way they've been handled. I can bear F1 being used as a political and propaganda tool but not when some sort of revolution is going on... Disgraceful Bernie, just bathplugging disgraceful...
patrick

Post by patrick »

340,000 signature petition here for anyone interested in that sort of thing
sswishbone

Post by sswishbone »

Can't believe I am typing this but I am with Max Moseley on this, many of the firms will not want to be publicised as endorsing a country where it launched military against protesting people. The teams are also up in arms at the length of this seasons going into december, next season has 21 races so the layover is not going to cut it. I can see a big flare up over this coming
"Hispania are a waste of talent and petrol!" Martin Brundle, Australia Qualifying 2011

Live streams and podcasts from yours truly at http://www.youtube.com/user/sswishbone
dnhrudi

Post by dnhrudi »

Motor racing and social justice have never been bedfellows, remember all those South African Grand Prix? If the money talks they will go, and F1 will prove once again that it is the costliest 'cheap' sport in the world. But hey, these guys all live on the planet aircom so why should they care? lets all just give them a big pat on the back the next time they say they are doing something for CHA-RI-TEE, or waving a big banner saying GET WELL SOON JAPAN. :evil:
ADx_Wales
Location: The Fortress of Sofatude, with a laptop and a penchant for buying now TV day passes for F1 races.

Post by ADx_Wales »

Jake Humphrey on twitter:

Negative reaction on here about #F1 & #Bahrain. Not surprised. Decision made, we are going, so let us now use the sport to do some good...

I Could write a million words to do with this tweet, but they all begin with F and C.

In regards to te GP happeningl, does anyone else feel cheated?
"The worst part of my body that hurt in the fire was my balls" Gerhard Berger on Imola 1989
Yannick

Post by Yannick »

The pro-Bahrain-GP decision and the Gribkowsky court case make up a good basis to build on for Bernie Ecclestone's ROTY campaign.
"I don't think we should be used to finance (the manufacturers') R&D because they will produce that engine anyway" said Monisha Kaltenborn.
"You will never see a Mercedes using a Ferrari engine or the other way round."
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

ADx_Wales wrote:Jake Humphrey on twitter:

Negative reaction on here about #F1 & #Bahrain. Not surprised. Decision made, we are going, so let us now use the sport to do some good...

I Could write a million words to do with this tweet, but they all begin with F and C.

Fabulous Championship?
MCard LOLA
cretoxyrhina

Post by cretoxyrhina »

Meh.

Bah.
LukeB

Post by LukeB »

I won't be watching the Bahrain GP. That is all.
Making up the numbers
mario

Post by mario »

Unhappy, yes, but unsurprised - FOM is run by Bernie and a group of venture capitalists, neither of whom seem interested in letting ethics get in the way of $40 million (which is what Bahrain is paying to host the race). As others have pointed out, Formula 1 continued going to South Africa during the apartheid era long after most other sporting competitions had left, and only stopped going because several governments were trying to prevent their nationals and national teams from going (and in the case of the French government, succeeded in stopping Ligier and Renault attend).

That said, Martin Brundle is perhaps not quite as happy with the decision as some of his colleagues - this is what he had to say on the matter via his Twitter feed:
Read copiously both sides of Bahrain story. Talked to friends+associates who live there. Thought long+hard about it. Mistake to reinstate GP

On a serious level, though, I think that this move will only backfire on the sport - the reaction of the general public has been pretty hostile, with few supporting the decision, and nether the teams or drivers seem happy about the decision. Moreover, I can't see many of the team sponsors being happy about this either, as they definitely did not pay to become associated with this sort of backlash - Joe Saward pointed out that some teams might make a loss on the event if some of the team sponsors refuse to let their logo be used at such an event.
ADx_Wales
Location: The Fortress of Sofatude, with a laptop and a penchant for buying now TV day passes for F1 races.

Post by ADx_Wales »

Luke, you arent the only one, and once again I'm tempted to avoid the canadian GP aswell. Last year it was through the stupidity of the guys in charge of the race at monaco, it is the same state of affairs this time, plus with the added bonus of this severe case of greed and lack of humility in not just Bernie Ecclestone, but the entire FOM.
"The worst part of my body that hurt in the fire was my balls" Gerhard Berger on Imola 1989
Phoenix

Post by Phoenix »

Everything I've thought has already been said, so...

shinji wrote:This is a new low.

Indeed.
patrick

Post by patrick »

If this happens, I think it will be a huge mistake. F1 already feels like it's on rocky ground, there's no need to put more pressure on that. I hope the teams can stand together on this. A lot of people are looking at Red Bull to set an example, maybe this will be their first big test?
AlpineSmuggler

Post by AlpineSmuggler »

Well, let's stay positive. We can just forget the Bahrain GP!

The actual race can be easily ignored, since by October Vettel would've already secured the WDC, and the track itself doesn't do much in terms of racing or ambiance.

And yeah, supporting role prize goes to FOTA and ultimately the GPDA for sounding that annoying lapdog bark earlier this year, heck, this week and next, and then just going ahead with something that they obviously don't want to do. Prove me wrong, Ross. Or Mark, the man of the few beautifully articulated PR words.

I'd actually love to say I doubted the Bahrain race would take place this year, given several teams' objections, official travel restrictions, and general uncertainty associated with the place. But it does kind of sounds like Bernie came to some kind of backroom/paddock agreement with most of the parties involved. Who knows, maybe the Indians aren't too unhappy about postponing their own GP to give the track a bit more time to get built up.

At least Canada is next.
forza impotente
AlpineSmuggler

Post by AlpineSmuggler »

I guess that'd be a good reason not to follow the pompous douche. Yeah, Jake, you go ahead and use your elite sport to do some good, sure will be changing the political situation in a few countries. Wake up, Jake, this ain't Invictus, you know. Man, what a douche.

... and to answer your question, yes. I feel cheated politically (something F1 really does not need, I think, but then, I don't have Bernie's business acumen). I also feel cheated in a more basic way, where, hey, if a track can't make the schedule, too bad, especially if it's one of the worst tracks on the calendar.
forza impotente
dnhrudi

Post by dnhrudi »

A certain Jarvis Cocker song springs to mind right now........
AlpineSmuggler

Post by AlpineSmuggler »

dnhrudi wrote:A certain Jarvis Cocker song springs to mind right now........

Wouldn't be Running the World, would it?
forza impotente