Formula Elaborate Bluff: Part II

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
whatisdeletrazdoing

Formula Elaborate Bluff: Part II

Post by whatisdeletrazdoing »

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jmaokoen/ Lego F1 Cars
CarlosFerreira wrote:I am vaguely annoyed by Vettel.
dr-baker

Re: Formula Elaborate Bluff: Part II

Post by dr-baker »

And in case anyone prefers a different website, it's also on Autosport.

Don't know what I think yet.
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
DOSBoot

Post by DOSBoot »

While I agree with some of his comments, after the CART-IRL war, I don't want to see another breakaway series.
Proud supporter of the United States 2nd Amendment.

2012 Predicament Predictions Champion.
karsten

Post by karsten »

the usual matter. when ferrari isn't winning 90% of the races montezemolo starts crying and saying they'll make their own championship.

it happens 2-3 times per year and he never does anything :D
Missing the good old Minardi! T_T
DOSBoot

Post by DOSBoot »

^ Hence when I meant most. ;)
Proud supporter of the United States 2nd Amendment.

2012 Predicament Predictions Champion.
patrick

Post by patrick »

I think I, like most sane fans and members of the F1 circus will quietly call his bluff. If they really wanted to breakaway he wouldn't be the only person constantly saying it.
I have no objection to Luca himself breaking away from Formula 1 though!
mario

Post by mario »

patrick wrote:I think I, like most sane fans and members of the F1 circus will quietly call his bluff. If they really wanted to breakaway he wouldn't be the only person constantly saying it.
I have no objection to Luca himself breaking away from Formula 1 though!

Yes, it'd be quite easy to call Ferrari's bluff I feel - after all, the FIA and FOM have most of the top tier motorsport circuits tied into their contracts, so a breakaway series would always have the issue of whether they could find appropriate venues for their races.

Besides, I can see the sponsors baulking at the idea, since their brand image and advertising model is centred around Formula 1 as it stands, not a breakaway series with no history or image beyond a plaything for manufacturers. At the moment, most of the teams depend very heavily on external sponsors - over half of Ferrari's turnover comes from external sponsorship - so I can't see any of them wanting to jeopardise that revenue.
At the very least, if Luca really did want to make his threats more credible, he'd do what Enzo Ferrari did and order his engineers to come up with a racing car for a rival series to make his threats look serious (the Ferrari 637 was no rough test hack - Steve Horne, the designer, spent over a year perfecting the car, and the test data, including track testing, showed that the car probably would have been pretty competitive http://oilpressure.wordpress.com/2009/0 ... rrari-637/ ).

Overall, though, I can't see a breakaway happening - this looks merely like opportunistic headline grabbing by Luca at a time when Bernie has to split his attention between the demands of FOTA over the new Concorde Agreement and the threat from the Murdoch-Exor consortium.
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
noisebox

Post by noisebox »

I think there's more chance of this happening than ever before. What we're seeing now are the first moves in the post Bernie power struggle. I suspect that Bernie will retire at the end of 2012, which is why bidders are now sniffing around. The two things the teams will want out of this is more control and obviously more money, and news corp wont provide them with either. If they thought Bernie was ruthless then Murdoch will take it to another level!

As such, there will be an interesting quandry - any bidder needs the teams for F1 to be what it is now, and the teams will be pushing like mad for better terms.
"will you stop him playing tennis then?", referring to Montoya's famous shoulder injury, to which Whitmarsh replied "well, it's very difficult to play tennis on a motorbike"
Collieafc

Post by Collieafc »

Just a bluff. Probably trying to "test the water" in order to see what the teams can extract from the next Concorde agreement in their favour
DanielPT wrote:Life usually expires after 400 meters and always before reaching 2 laps or so. In essence, Life is short.
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

Collieafc wrote:Just a bluff. Probably trying to "test the water" in order to see what the teams can extract from the next Concorde agreement in their favour

Seconded. Every time some says Concorde Agreement there comes a certain Ferrari boss whining about the state of F1 (except if his team is wining) and that he will form a break-away series. It is clearly tiresome. and as Collieafc said, it is his tactic in trying to extract more for the teams, specially his team (like having points saying that Ferrari is the most important thing in F1) ...
Colin Kolles on F111, 2011 HRT challenger: The car doesn't look too bad; it looks like a modern F1 car.
MaxZero

Post by MaxZero »

Helmut Marko has come out saying that the threat isn't serious, stating that the reason Ferrari have been so vocal about it is because their Italian

Reading the Helmet's comments usually annoy me tho this one is more agreeable than usual
Ferrim

Post by Ferrim »

noisebox wrote:I think there's more chance of this happening than ever before. What we're seeing now are the first moves in the post Bernie power struggle. I suspect that Bernie will retire at the end of 2012, which is why bidders are now sniffing around.

There are only two things that could bring Bernie to retirement: ill health and death.

The way things stand, I'm pretty convinced that it will be the second one.

(Mmm... but is really Bernie a mortal...?)
Go home, Bernie Ecclestone!

"There will be no other victory this year, I can tell you, more welcomed than this one" Bob Varsha, 1995 Canadian GP

F1 Rejects Forums – going off-topic since 2009!
Phoenix

Post by Phoenix »

Lies, damn lies. They're not going to do anything, as usual. Poor Luca has zilch credibility.
Myrvold

Post by Myrvold »

Ferrim wrote:There are only two things that could bring Bernie to retirement: ill health and death.

The way things stand, I'm pretty convinced that it will be the second one.

The man er 80 years old. I think with the amount of work he is doing. He will die, because of ill health. It will be quick, but ugly.
jackanderton

Post by jackanderton »

I don't like people who are this conceited. Go home, Luca.