Missing Articles?

The place for discussion of all aspects of the gprejects.com website
Jeroen Krautmeir

Missing Articles?

Post by Jeroen Krautmeir »

While searching for a picture of the Brabham BT60Y, I came across this.

Its not anywhere on the site, so eytl, are there any other 'missing articles' for us to read? :)
Honourary Youngest Forum Member, Joint Mackem Of The Forum

"When you’re racing, it... it’s life. Anything that happens before or after... is just waiting".
Collieafc

Re: Missing Articles?

Post by Collieafc »

Page thats missing a link maybe? If so its easy enough to fix.

On saying that I havent poked about too much so I could be very wrong
DanielPT wrote:Life usually expires after 400 meters and always before reaching 2 laps or so. In essence, Life is short.
Best 19

Post by Best 19 »

I got very interested with what was said in the title of your topic. However I couldn't use your link. Is that the problem of my computer or is there something wrong with the link?

bakery boxes
tommykl

Post by tommykl »

Best 19 wrote:I got very interested with what was said in the title of your topic. However I couldn't use your link. Is that the problem of my computer or is there something wrong with the link?

bakery boxes

Something tells me he ain't legit.
kevinbotz wrote:Cantonese is a completely nonsensical f*cking alien language masquerading as some grossly bastardised form of Chinese

Gonzo wrote:Wasn't there some sort of communisim in the East part of Germany?
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

And those boxes are nothing to do with me. :oops:
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
Kuwashima
F1 Rejects Founder

Post by Kuwashima »

Well paint me blue and call me Richard, you're right.

Just looked into it and there's also this one
http://www.f1rejects.com/centrale/submitted/catalunya/

Haha. Who knew there was nothing on the submitted page linking them. Must fix that over the holidays! Being 2 years ago I'm struggling to understand if we just never announced it, or decided not to run with it, or what!!
Kuwashima
F1 Rejects Founder

Post by Kuwashima »

tommykl wrote:
Best 19 wrote:I got very interested with what was said in the title of your topic. However I couldn't use your link. Is that the problem of my computer or is there something wrong with the link?

bakery boxes

Odd because Mr Best 19 has 2 posts so far, and one of them is definitely not spam!
Jeroen Krautmeir

Kuwashima wrote:
tommykl wrote:

bakery boxes

Odd because Mr Best 19 has 2 posts so far, and one of them is definitely not spam!

How could someone not know Jos is retired, when it's 2010! :lol:

Anyway, thanks Mr. McGregor, I'm enjoying reading the article, and hopefully you'll be able to find some more! :)

"When you’re racing, it... it’s life. Anything that happens before or after... is just waiting".
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

Kuwashima wrote:Well paint me blue and call me Richard, you're right.

Haha. Who knew there was nothing on the submitted page linking them. Must fix that over the holidays! Being 2 years ago I'm struggling to understand if we just never announced it, or decided not to run with it, or what!!

I remember reading that one before. I think you must've just forgotten to add it to the submitted articles. It's probably the same with the other one.
Sebastian Vettel wrote:If I was good at losing I wouldn't be in Formula 1.
Everything's great.
I'm not surprised about anything.
tc3j3r

Post by tc3j3r »

I think what happened was that they got put up on the "new" section of the main page, but not the submitted articles list. Then as new stuff appeared, they got pushed down off the main page, hence the links disappearing.
Aerospeed

Post by Aerospeed »

We should have more articles in general.
Mistakes in potatoes will ALWAYS happen :P
Trulli bad puns...
IN JAIL NO ONE CAN HEAR YOU SCREAM
watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

I think the forum has almost go rid of the need for user submitted articles because people can write a long forum post if they want, and get a response from it. But I'm sure that no one would be against the idea of any suggested articles put forward!
Watka - you know, the swimming horses guy
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

I have a pretty comprehensive history of Lotus that I wrote for another forum, would that be okay to submit?
Sebastian Vettel wrote:If I was good at losing I wouldn't be in Formula 1.
Everything's great.
I'm not surprised about anything.
eytl
F1 Rejects Founder

Post by eytl »

The Submitted Articles, which you can access from the Reject Centrale page, has now been updated to include the two missing articles on Brabham and Catalunya.
Nuppiz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nuppiz »

On the topic of missing articles, shouldn't the 2010 Abu Dhabi GP review be moved to the 2010 Reject Centrale index as well? While we can still access it from the front page, it most likely isn't there when the Season Review is published.
Eurosport broadcast for the 1990 Mexican GP prequalifying:
"The Life, it looked very lifeless yet again... in fact Bruno did one, slow lap"
dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

I'm actually quite tempted to write an article for this site. As has been pointed out on other threads, Zakspeed and (incredibly) Osella are the most obvious omissions from the Reject Teams pages, but I've just seen another one: AGS. They've got it all...

The good - getting Ivan Capelli started, and Stefan Johansson in one of his less informed moves
The bad - ten drivers in total, five of those are profiled rejects in Fabre, Winkelhock, Dalmas, Grouillard, Barbazza - plus there's the Reject Centrale article on Ivan Capelli's nightmare 1992 with Ferrari for good measure
The ugly - the red-and-white-striped JH22 with its even uglier periscope crudely shoved over the engine
Triumph - well, they did have a couple of 6th places, but no more... and, actually, the black Ted Lapidus livery wasn't too bad to look at, although I'll ignore the one with the huge question mark on it...
Tragedy - Philippe Streiff's horrible accident at the beginning of 1989
Rejectfulness beyond belief - not getting the second car into the race at all in 1989, and having the numbers 40 and 41 on the cars that year must have been a sign of things to come. Not to mention being a F1 team run from a petrol station.
Past - starting out in F3, F2 and F3000 at least before making the near-impossible step up to the top
Future - AGS still survives, after all, as a racing school, and is even proud of being able to use the JH24 (which managed to get on the grid once in 21 attempts) as an experience of a "proper old-school racing car".

The amount of potential in here is huge. I've got the sources: Wikipedia for an outline, the AGS website for propaganda, and Pierre Ménard's Great Encyclopedia of Formula One plus Adriano Cimarosti's Complete History of Grand Ptix Motor Racing (still one of my favourite books, even though it only goes up to 1989) and the BBC's Grand Prix 91 for the facts, with a little help from the Reject Profiles for the drivers on this site... maybe there's going to be a little help from 8W. And there's always Forix and other such sites for the pictures.

Although it is a long time ago now, when I first picked up on F1 during the middle of the 1990 season, I tried to compile the complete list of teams and drivers competing that year. Some were easy - McLaren, Ferrari, Benetton, Williams... even backmarkers of the calibre of Dallara (which I didn't know at the time was the constructor but not the team), Minardi and Ligier did not present too much difficulty. The real rejects, though... they were tough. I couldn't ever have done anything about the likes of Coloni and Life, while others dropped a few hints; Murray mentioned J.J. Lehto by name, just not which car he drove, what number his car was or where he was from (I thought the name might have been Brazilian by analogy with some of the others, until he moved to Scuderia Italia next season); ditto Yannick Dalmas, who I'd only ever have found on the grid a maximum of four times (I wasn't watching the Brazilian race) and couldn't spell either name, even though I'd worked out he drove for AGS. In trying to make a watertight article for this site, I see a similar challenge. Bring it on.

EDIT: Håpla! There I was thinking AGS would be one of the teams given the briefest mention under "Teams that came and went" in Ménard's hefty tome (e.g. Theodore, Haas-Lola, Rial, Onyx, Coloni, Lambo, Andrea Moda, Pacific, Simtek, Forti... and, incredibly, Zakspeed who had five full F1 seasons...) - but, no! They've got a full article, five pages of pictures and text, and I'm going to read it now. Again, though, the JH24 is strangely missing from the pictures...
James Allen, on his favourite F1 engine of all time:
"...the Life W12, I can't describe the noise to you, but imagine filling your dustbin with nuts and bolts, and then throwing it down the stairs, it was something akin to that!"
mario

Post by mario »

dinizintheoven wrote:I'm actually quite tempted to write an article for this site.

I would say that, if you are enthusiastic about the topic and can find good source material, then I would suggest that you should give it serious consideration. It can be a little challenging if is a particularly obscure entry, although you seem to be relishing the opportunity, and given how many rejects drove for them, a team profile would give the driver profiles a better context.
It's funny that you mention Zakspeed by the way - I'm toying with the idea of writing a second team profile for the Zakspeed outfit. Admittedly, having spanned five years, it'll probably take me a while, but I admire the boldness of Zakowski in doing everything in house, even if it didn't always pay off.
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

mario wrote:It's funny that you mention Zakspeed by the way - I'm toying with the idea of writing a second team profile for the Zakspeed outfit.

...where's the first? There's nothing linked on the main site, the last team to be mentioned is Trojan. Is there something hiding somewhere? I suppose there are bits of info to be had from driver profiles (e.g. Ghinzani, Schneider), but that'd miss out bits and pieces of the story from non-reject drivers (Suzuki's perfect run of DNPQs before gerring the Larrousse drive, Martin Brundle scoring their only points...)

Admittedly, having spanned five years, it'll probably take me a while, but I admire the boldness of Zakowski in doing everything in house, even if it didn't always pay off.

I don't think it'll take a massively long time, though; were I to do an AGS profile, I'd like to make it thorough, but not so enormous as to be a complete rehash of everything in Pierre Ménard's about-as-extensive-as-it-gets article. I take the Coloni profile as inspiration - I'd aim for something of about that length, given that Coloni had four seasons and a bit, and AGS had five. Zakspeed had five as well, as you say, and have also have a pre- and post-F1 existence to write about.
"...the Life W12, I can't describe the noise to you, but imagine filling your dustbin with nuts and bolts, and then throwing it down the stairs, it was something akin to that!"
Jeroen Krautmeir

dinizintheoven, mario wrote the Aston Martin article, which was extremely good, I must say.

http://www.f1rejects.com/teams/astonmartin/profile.html

I think if either one of you could expand the Reject Index, the whole F1R community, not to mention Jamie and Enoch, would be pretty happy. :)

dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

Jeroen Krautmeir wrote:dinizintheoven, mario wrote the Aston Martin article, which was extremely good, I must say.

So that's what he meant - I knew about that article, and I was reading it again the other day, but his post implied he (or someone else) had already written a profile for Zakspeed.

So given that there isn't a Zakspeed profile, Mario, get scribbling! I will if you do. I've got all my history books - and the programme from the 1991 British Grand Prix - with me, and I'm going to edit the 1986-91 season reviews down to any AGS highlights. With the BBC running an article on plagiarism today, though, I'm going to make very sure I'm not just regurgitating what I've already got.
David AGS

Post by David AGS »

I got some older f1 books that are very useful for typing articles. For instance, for AGS, It goes back to 1977 in Junior Formula, and says who was team manager, designers and drivers. Has pics too!

The book ends at the start of the 1990 season, so you got Zakspeed covered!

PM me if you want more info.
Miserable Thierry (Boutsen) staggers round mostly on ten cylinders (out of 12) with no clutch, low oil pressure, bad brakes and no grip to finish tenth, 3 laps down...

(Murray Walkers review of Boutsen's Brazil 1991 race).

Thats a point these days!
Aerospeed

Post by Aerospeed »

And now the youtube link in the Catalunya page is now broken.
Last edited by Aerospeed on 05 Mar 2011, 17:06, edited 1 time in total.
Trulli bad puns...
eytl
F1 Rejects Founder

Post by eytl »

It's great to see some of you being enthusiastic about writing profiles for the site. As much as that has primarily been my domain for the last 11 years, the reality is that I'll only get around to doing a few a year (especially once the season gets under way and I get tied up with race reviews). It used to be that I wrote the profiles and found the pictures, then Jamie did all the 1999-spec HTML and uploaded it ... but these days I'm doing the web work as well for profiles and race reviews, and Jamie has practically no involvement given his own time constraints, so he's restricted to doing the occasional podcast with me.

I agree that team profiles like AGS and Zakspeed are screaming out for inclusion (and have been ever since the beginning of the site). Likewise for quite a few notable "missing drivers".

I should explain though, that in the past whenever people have submitted articles or profiles, we tend to treat them as something of a "first draft", which I can then edit, add to, take away from, re-order and generally play around with, so please be aware of that. In other words, it would be fantastic if some of you wanted to draft a profile and provide the basic text and framework, and you will be credited for that on the site (as "mario" and previously Mischa Bijenhof and others have been), but please be prepared for the final product to change somewhat! :)

That said, research and write away - and please email me at [email protected] to let me know what you're working on.
dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

David AGS wrote:I got some older f1 books that are very useful for typing articles. For instance, for AGS, It goes back to 1977 in Junior Formula, and says who was team manager, designers and drivers. Has pics too!

I thought you might be able to help. Have you got a scanner? The AGS pages in this book may come in very handy.

eytl wrote:I agree that team profiles like AGS and Zakspeed are screaming out for inclusion (and have been ever since the beginning of the site). Likewise for quite a few notable "missing drivers".

I can't think of any off the top of my head other than Yuji Ide, who could come back to F1 (stranger things have happened, haven't they, Narain?) but I assume he won't. Other than that... throw the names around and maybe someone else will pick up the baton...

eytl wrote:I should explain though, that in the past whenever people have submitted articles or profiles, we tend to treat them as something of a "first draft", which I can then edit, add to, take away from, re-order and generally play around with, so please be aware of that. In other words, it would be fantastic if some of you wanted to draft a profile and provide the basic text and framework, and you will be credited for that on the site (as "mario" and previously Mischa Bijenhof and others have been), but please be prepared for the final product to change somewhat!

I thought that might be the case... though rest assured I will do a thorough job.
mario

Post by mario »

dinizintheoven wrote:
Jeroen Krautmeir wrote:dinizintheoven, mario wrote the Aston Martin article, which was extremely good, I must say.

So that's what he meant - I knew about that article, and I was reading it again the other day, but his post implied he (or someone else) had already written a profile for Zakspeed.

So given that there isn't a Zakspeed profile, Mario, get scribbling! I will if you do. I've got all my history books - and the programme from the 1991 British Grand Prix - with me, and I'm going to edit the 1986-91 season reviews down to any AGS highlights. With the BBC running an article on plagiarism today, though, I'm going to make very sure I'm not just regurgitating what I've already got.

Yes, I admit I could have been a little clearer in my previous post - I'm getting a rough copy ready at the moment, but, as I've said, it will probably be slower progress, partially due to a lack of time and partially because Zakspeed contested a fair number of races. But, as and when I get the chance, I'll see what I can get done, and hopefully I'll eventually have something polished and ready for the website.

By the way, David AGS, I would be interested to hear more about Zakspeed if you have any relevant articles - it would help me expand on the history and context of the team, and I'd be interested in new sources.
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

mario wrote:By the way, David AGS, I would be interested to hear more about Zakspeed if you have any relevant articles - it would help me expand on the history and context of the team, and I'd be interested in new sources.

I could also help you out with some bits and pieces on Zakspeed from Pierre Ménard - though whereas AGS made it to a full article, Zakspeed didn't. I suppose this means it takes less space in the scanner...
Aerospeed

Post by Aerospeed »

GAH! Now I can't think of anything to write about! Oh well, I'll add your email address to my contacts and I'll send you a story when the time comes...
Trulli bad puns...
tommykl

Post by tommykl »

Meh. If I have some spare time, and I find a driver or team that is both worthy of this website and has a reasonably researchable history, I might write up a profile.

Maybe.
kevinbotz wrote:Cantonese is a completely nonsensical f*cking alien language masquerading as some grossly bastardised form of Chinese

Gonzo wrote:Wasn't there some sort of communisim in the East part of Germany?
mario

Post by mario »

dinizintheoven wrote:
mario wrote:By the way, David AGS, I would be interested to hear more about Zakspeed if you have any relevant articles - it would help me expand on the history and context of the team, and I'd be interested in new sources.

I could also help you out with some bits and pieces on Zakspeed from Pierre Ménard - though whereas AGS made it to a full article, Zakspeed didn't. I suppose this means it takes less space in the scanner...

It'd still be welcome nevertheless - if you could scan it in, I would appreciate that.

tommykl wrote:Meh. If I have some spare time, and I find a driver or team that is both worthy of this website and has a reasonably researchable history, I might write up a profile.

Maybe.

Well, the first is always a problem, but I'm sure that there will be somebody, or some team, who you may come across, and may just inspire you to give it a go. And even if you don't write an article, you might well come across something that you never knew about that it fascinating in its own way, so it has its own rewards.