The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: The HRT thread

Post by DanielPT »

Here we go:

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/89619

A few days passed without an HRT headline. Kolles solved that.

For me one of the surprises last year was that we were running the same car, but the gap was getting smaller and not bigger. I cannot explain it. Maybe our drivers got better!

The car doesn't look too bad; it looks like a modern F1 car.

Priceless! (And I have found my signature :D )
Colin Kolles on F111, 2011 HRT challenger: The car doesn't look too bad; it looks like a modern F1 car.
mario

Post by mario »

For those who might not have seen this, it looks like Kolles has been quite bold in his latest interviews with Autosport. Despite the fact that, by his own admission, the new car has not actually been proven on track, he still seems to be quite optimistic about the development of the car. http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/89619
"There are experienced people working on the car. For sure we had no optimum winter, but we have a completely new car, and we will work on it and try to improve it," said Kolles in an exclusive interview with AUTOSPORT. "The car doesn't look too bad; it looks like a modern F1 car. We'll see where we are - I cannot tell you at the moment. I think we'll be better in performance than last year, and this is what the indications are at this stage."

Fair enough, you might say; Geoff Willis has helped design solid cars before, and the deal with Williams to supply parts should improve the overall package. However, it is what he says next that sticks out:
"For me one of the surprises last year was that we were running the same car, but the gap was getting smaller and not bigger. I cannot explain it. Maybe our drivers got better! This is a fact, you can see that the percentage that we were slower got smaller.
"I think that if we have the time and if we have our programmes in place, Lotus is not going to be an issue for us. And also Virgin. Because I trust in the people we have, and also the quality of the people I have. I'm not scared at all..."

Now, firstly, the comment about the drivers getting better seems a bit hypocritical; last year he was blaming them for his team underperforming, and now he is suggesting that they might have actually helped the team catch their rivals?

Secondly, Kolles seems to be suggesting that, despite having a smaller budget and a significantly smaller design team than either Virgin Racing or Team Lotus, he thinks that HRT will not only be able to compete with them but out develop and out compete them? Especially when Team Lotus not only have a works deal with Red Bull Technology - who have been pretty dominant from the middle of 2009 onwards - but two experienced and reasonably competitive drivers, a strong design team (with experienced staff from Toyota and Force India) and a respected team leader in Gascoyne?

Meanwhile, Virgin Racing haven't exactly been standing still either - OK, the testing results have been a bit mixed, but the upgrades to Wirth's CFD facilities and an injection of new capital from Marussia are helping boost the team. Meanwhile, although D'Ambrosio is an F1 rookie, Glock is pretty solid, and you suspect that he will be more capable of taking on the role of team leader.

Who do HRT have driving their cars? Well, they have Karthikeyan, who is, at the age of 34, approaching the end of his motorsport career, and either Liuzzi (the 2010 Reject of the Year for his high unforced error count) or Giorgio Mondini, who last drove an F1 car five years ago as a test driver, and, at 31, isn't exactly an up and coming driver either.
Let's be honest here, there aren't that many promising ingredients here, and suggesting that a car that hasn't seen the track, or even been fired up yet, will be immediately competitive is inviting mockery (and tempting fate) if it turns out to be hopeless.
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
MaxZero

Post by MaxZero »

The car doesn't look too bad; it looks like a modern F1 car.

As if to say it doesn't actually drive like one

Some of those comments sound very desperate
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

If HRT have Swiss backing and need a Swiss driver. Then there's only one option. What is he doing?
I like the way Snrub thinks!
Jeroen Krautmeir

Post by Jeroen Krautmeir »

redbulljack14 wrote:If HRT have Swiss backing and need a Swiss driver. Then there's only one option. What is he doing?

Neel Jani?
Honourary Youngest Forum Member, Joint Mackem Of The Forum

"When you’re racing, it... it’s life. Anything that happens before or after... is just waiting".
P_Friesacher

Post by P_Friesacher »

Natacha Gachnang?
jpm

Post by jpm »

I agree it should be Neel Jani, but he's converted to sportscars. Maybe they could pretend Klien is Swiss? :D

However, (WARNING CONSPIRACY THEORY) due to Winkelhock and Alex Premat loosing their places with Audi in the DTM, and Mondini making a comeback, could Kolles be trying to organise a Midland test drivers of 2006 comeback like a cheesy Take That reunion? They could get Albers and Monteiro back, EJ Viso, and ADRIAN SUTIL!

CONSPIRACY THEORISTS STAND UP NOW!
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Jeroen Krautmeir wrote:I personally want to see an IndyCar star get into Formula One. The slicks *should* mean the transition isn't as hard.

Milka Duno? :lol:
Cynon wrote:IndyCars and F1 cars have been very different kettles of fish ever since the 1980s, and only the extraordinary make the transition and win in both.

Nigel Mansell is indeed extraordinary.
redbulljack14 wrote:If HRT have Swiss backing and need a Swiss driver. Then there's only one option. What is he doing?

Joel Camathias?
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
Phoenix

Post by Phoenix »

dr-baker wrote:

Joel Camathias?

No, no no. You're looking at the wrong Swiss IndyCar reject. The ultimate answer is JEAN-PIERRE FREY (assuming he isn't in jail, of course).
Ferrim

Post by Ferrim »

mario wrote:Let's be honest here, there aren't that many promising ingredients here, and suggesting that a car that hasn't seen the track, or even been fired up yet, will be immediately competitive is inviting mockery (and tempting fate) if it turns out to be hopeless.

It remembers me so much of Eric Broadley's words back in 1997...
Go home, Bernie Ecclestone!

"There will be no other victory this year, I can tell you, more welcomed than this one" Bob Varsha, 1995 Canadian GP

F1 Rejects Forums – going off-topic since 2009!
Jeroen Krautmeir

Ferrim wrote:
mario wrote:Let's be honest here, there aren't that many promising ingredients here, and suggesting that a car that hasn't seen the track, or even been fired up yet, will be immediately competitive is inviting mockery (and tempting fate) if it turns out to be hopeless.

It remembers me so much of Eric Broadley's words back in 1997...

Are we looking at MasterCard Lola Volume II then? Hooray! I exist to see it! :lol:

"When you’re racing, it... it’s life. Anything that happens before or after... is just waiting".
Aerospeed

Post by Aerospeed »

Jeroen Krautmeir wrote:Are we looking at MasterCard Lola Volume II then? Hooray! I exist to see it! :lol:

:lol:

I'll be able to see it with my own two eyes this time... I did exist when Mastercard Lola did.... but I didn't give two craps about anything, really, back then
Mistakes in potatoes will ALWAYS happen :P
Trulli bad puns...
IN JAIL NO ONE CAN HEAR YOU SCREAM
David AGS

Post by David AGS »

Conspiracy file:

The swiss backer get heavily involved, and want a swiss driver

Seb Buemi goes to HRT at the last minute, and a fellow Aussie (and agreta bloke too, I met him!) Danile Ricciardo takes over at Toro Rosso!
Miserable Thierry (Boutsen) staggers round mostly on ten cylinders (out of 12) with no clutch, low oil pressure, bad brakes and no grip to finish tenth, 3 laps down...

(Murray Walkers review of Boutsen's Brazil 1991 race).

Thats a point these days!
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Phoenix wrote:
dr-baker wrote:

Joel Camathias?

No, no no. You're looking at the wrong Swiss IndyCar reject. The ultimate answer is JEAN-PIERRE FREY (assuming he isn't in jail, of course).

Is he related to Rahel Frey at all?
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

I obviously meant JDD, maybe it does matter what he's doing, missing the 107% cut.
I like the way Snrub thinks!
Captain Hammer

Post by Captain Hammer »

Apparently the F111 wil be ready today.

With regards to driver news, Giorgio Mondini allegedly bought the Barcelona test drive, so he may not be a serious contender (though the thing about "assessing his fitness" implies a larger role for him in future). Liuzzi is tipped as the favourite for the seat, but he has no funding and he's still technically under the employ of Force India, so signing with Hispania may jeopardise the payout he would receive for having his contract terminated early.
mario wrote:I'm wondering what the hell has been going on in this thread [...] it's turned into a bizarre detour into mythical flying horses and the sort of search engine results that CoopsII is going to have a very hard time explaining ...
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

JeremyMcClean wrote:
Jeroen Krautmeir wrote:Are we looking at MasterCard Lola Volume II then? Hooray! I exist to see it! :lol:

:lol:

I'll be able to see it with my own two eyes this time... I did exist when Mastercard Lola did.... but I didn't give two craps about anything, really, back then

Same here. Curse the fact I was only 2 when Mastercard Lola did the stuff of legend.
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
Jeroen Krautmeir

David AGS wrote:Conspiracy file:

The swiss backer get heavily involved, and want a swiss driver

Seb Buemi goes to HRT at the last minute, and a fellow Aussie (and agreta bloke too, I met him!) Danile Ricciardo takes over at Toro Rosso!

So, teams can use a total of four drivers yeah? Okay, here's my totally rubbish conspiracy theory.

Narain and Tonio begin the season, and the two do marginally well in the car, though they are nowhere near the pace of even Virgin. Narain gets a few DNQ's, while Tonio makes it through on every occasion. The big Swiss company, Glencore, pays up a bit during the flyaway races, but demands a Swiss driver in the car if they are to pay anymore. At the same time, Buemi is fired from Toro Rosso, and is replaced by Ricciardo. Seeing a chance to be 'competitive' and to get the extra cash, Kolles sends Tonio packing, and signs up Buemi. Not too long later, Tonio comes knocking on the door with his lawyers, suing the team. HRT win, as they had signed Tonio on a race by race thing, with no guarantee of a full season. Tonio cries, and runs to the US of A, with Hispania getting some cash in the process. Buemi then becomes 'ill', and Hispania take Mikhail Aleshin, who has Lukoil money. Kolles says Buemi's condition is 'serious', and that he will miss two races. As it turns out, Aleshin stays for the rest of the season. Narain comments to the press how he has 'made many new friends' at HRT, and that he would like another season.

After 19 races, HRT's points tally is exactly 0. LOLa buy the team at the end of the season, promising to be great, but that's another story...
Last edited by Jeroen Krautmeir on 25 Feb 2011, 04:40, edited 2 times in total.

TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

Jeroen Krautmeir wrote:So, teams can use a total of five drivers yeah?

The limit's 4
Biscione wrote:"Some Turkemenistani gulag repurposed for residential use" is the best way yet I've heard to describe North / East Glasgow.
Jeroen Krautmeir

Wizzie wrote:
Jeroen Krautmeir wrote:So, teams can use a total of five drivers yeah?

The limit's 4

Right, then we'll just get rid of, Mondini...

Cynon

Post by Cynon »

Phoenix wrote:
dr-baker wrote:No, no no. You're looking at the wrong Swiss IndyCar reject. The ultimate answer is JEAN-PIERRE FREY (assuming he isn't in jail, of course).

Was Rahel Frey ever 20+ laps down at Portland for no legitimate reason?
Check out the TM Master Cup Series on Youtube...
...or check out my random retro IndyCar clips.

Dr. Helmut Marko wrote: Finally we have an Australian in the team who can start a race well and challenge Vettel.
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Cynon wrote:
Phoenix wrote:
dr-baker wrote:No, no no. You're looking at the wrong Swiss IndyCar reject. The ultimate answer is JEAN-PIERRE FREY (assuming he isn't in jail, of course).

Was Rahel Frey ever 20+ laps down at Portland for no legitimate reason?

I wasn't asking if Rahel was as good/bad as Jean-Pierre. Just if they were related, as in siblings or something. Like Gilles and Jacques Villeneuve Sr. or Emerson and Wilson Fittipaldi or Gary and David Brabham, etc.
MCard LOLA
MaxZero

Post by MaxZero »

Anyone else aware that HRT stands for Hormone Replacement Therapy?
it isn't brought up enough!
Last edited by MaxZero on 01 Mar 2011, 13:37, edited 1 time in total.
Phoenix

Post by Phoenix »

MaxZero wrote:Anyone else aware that HRT stands for Hormone Replacement Therapy?

Ever since it was confirmed the team was going to be renamed HRT.
Henrique

Post by Henrique »

With less than a month till Melbourne, shouldn't they be announcing the second driver like... right now? The sooner the better.
mario

Post by mario »

Henrique wrote:With less than a month till Melbourne, shouldn't they be announcing the second driver like... right now? The sooner the better.

Well, if the teams want to enter a driver, they are supposed give the FIA a minimum of one week's notice before the start of the next race weekend (or, in this case, the start of the season).

Now, the race weekend technically starts on a Friday, I believe, when scruitineering takes place. Now, the race weekend will start on March 25th, when scruitineering takes place for the Melbourne GP; that means that the 18th March will be the latest that HRT can leave it before announcing to the FIA who their second driver will be.

So, HRT has 17 days left to make their final decision, although I agree that it is worryingly late for HRT to be making such a major decision. I suspect that part of the reason they are delaying is to see how much more money they can squeeze out of their prospective driver before they make their final decision; perhaps, for example, by making them pay for the test sessions they participate in. Now, the last test sessions will be from the 8th-12th March; if we haven't heard from HRT in the next few days after that test session, then they will be cutting it fine indeed.
Also, speaking of that test session, we should finally see the mythical F111 that they have been talking about; it'll be interesting to see if some of those messages have been replaced with actual sponsors...
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
S951

Post by S951 »

who was it that sent an email off to them from this forum saying we'd sponsor them?
Luca Badoer we miss you appreciation group

https://www.facebook.com/groups/187177268036270/
Ferrim

Post by Ferrim »

mario wrote:Also, speaking of that test session, we should finally see the mythical F111 that they have been talking about; it'll be interesting to see if some of those messages have been replaced with actual sponsors...

I got the feeling that we won't be seeing anything of it there.

"There will be no other victory this year, I can tell you, more welcomed than this one" Bob Varsha, 1995 Canadian GP

Cynon

Post by Cynon »

Ferrim wrote:
mario wrote:Also, speaking of that test session, we should finally see the mythical F111 that they have been talking about; it'll be interesting to see if some of those messages have been replaced with actual sponsors...

I got the feeling that we won't be seeing anything of it there.

The F111 or those messages on the car?
Check out the TM Master Cup Series on Youtube...
...or check out my random retro IndyCar clips.

Dr. Helmut Marko wrote: Finally we have an Australian in the team who can start a race well and challenge Vettel.
Ferrim

Post by Ferrim »

The F111 and, therefore, the messages.

Myrvold

Post by Myrvold »

Santander is saying that De La Rosa belongs in F1. Is that a reason for HRT to wait?
David AGS

Post by David AGS »

I thought they can name their driver the Thursday before the Race?

I remember, Mika Salo was replaced by Toranosuke 'Tiger' Takagi in Australia 1999. The paper headline said, and I remember it clearly:

'Arrows want cash, not dash'

I may be wrong. Have been wrong in the past before!

They did name Chandhok on the Thursday didnt they?
Miserable Thierry (Boutsen) staggers round mostly on ten cylinders (out of 12) with no clutch, low oil pressure, bad brakes and no grip to finish tenth, 3 laps down...

(Murray Walkers review of Boutsen's Brazil 1991 race).

Thats a point these days!
TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

David AGS wrote:They did name Chandhok on the Thursday didnt they?

They named Chandhok as their 2nd driver on the 4th of March, which was 10 days before last year's Bahrain Snoozefest.
Biscione wrote:"Some Turkemenistani gulag repurposed for residential use" is the best way yet I've heard to describe North / East Glasgow.
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

Wizzie wrote:

They named Chandhok as their 2nd driver on the 4th of March, which was 10 days before last year's Bahrain Snoozefest.

10 days before the first race? So it is still early then... :D
Colin Kolles on F111, 2011 HRT challenger: The car doesn't look too bad; it looks like a modern F1 car.
mario

Post by mario »

DanielPT wrote:
Wizzie wrote:

10 days before the first race? So it is still early then... :D

Now it seems that HRT really are determined to cut it as fine as possible before announcing their driver - ESPN are suggesting that HRT might not make the announcement until the day before the first practise session in Australia.
Admittedly, they do have some form in this area - Yamamoto found out that he'd be driving at Silverstone last year under 12 hours before practise started - but even so, behaving like this must surely be making what few sponsors they have increasingly nervous. There is a difference between taking your time to make a decision, and looking like you don't have any idea of what you are doing - and as things go, having a second driver is a pretty big priority.
http://en.espnf1.com/hrtf1/motorsport/s ... %3DOTC-RSS
CarlosFerreira

Post by CarlosFerreira »

I'm sorry for being the Cassandra, but have we seen any evidence of the car at all so far?
Stay home, Colin Kolles!
Phoenix

Post by Phoenix »

CarlosFerreira wrote:I'm sorry for being the Cassandra, but have we seen any evidence of the car at all so far?

Word is, it's going to be debuted at the Barcelona testing days.
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

Phoenix wrote:
CarlosFerreira wrote:I'm sorry for being the Cassandra, but have we seen any evidence of the car at all so far?

I bet it will be last year's car with the new paint job. I would really like it if a disgruntled HRT employee sends the car out with one of the spaces filled with a visable GO HOME, COLIN KOLLES on it!
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
fjackdaw

Post by fjackdaw »

East Londoner wrote:
Phoenix wrote:

I bet it will be last year's car with the new paint job. I would really like it if a disgruntled HRT employee sends the car out with one of the spaces filled with a visable GO HOME, COLIN KOLLES on it!

Aren't you jumping the gun somewhat in your condemnation of Colin Kolles, since it might NOt be last year's?

And why does everyone hate HRT so much? I thought the piddly back-end teams were why we are all here.
CarlosFerreira

Post by CarlosFerreira »

fjackdaw wrote:And why does everyone hate HRT so much? I thought the piddly back-end teams were why we are all here.

Oy, it's not hate! We just like to pull the Mickey out of them. Here's to the losers, bless them all, etc. ;)
Stay home, Colin Kolles!