trivia question....

The place for anything and everything else to do with F1 history, different forms of motorsport, and all other randomness
TomWazzleshaw

Re: trivia question....

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

DanielPT wrote:I know Hülkenberg raced in A1GP. It is were I first heard his name.
Did Petrov raced A1GP? I will risk it. Di Grassi too, I think. Forgot Chandhock.

There were 4? Hülkenberg, Petrov, Di Grassi and Chandhock?

Well you got Hulkenberg and Chandhok right but neither Petrov or Di Grassi raced in A1 GP.
Biscione wrote:"Some Turkemenistani gulag repurposed for residential use" is the best way yet I've heard to describe North / East Glasgow.
the Masked Lapwing

Post by the Masked Lapwing »

Is it 5? Hulkenberg, Buemi, Chandhok, Liuzzi and Sutil?
R.I.P.
GM HOLDEN
1948-2017
TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

the Masked Lapwing wrote:Is it 5? Hulkenberg, Buemi, Chandhok, Liuzzi and Sutil?

Wikipedia is your friend isn't it? :P
Biscione wrote:"Some Turkemenistani gulag repurposed for residential use" is the best way yet I've heard to describe North / East Glasgow.
Jeroen Krautmeir

Post by Jeroen Krautmeir »

Wizzie wrote:Here's an easy one:

Out of all the drivers who raced in F1 in 2010 how many of them have driven in A1GP. And as an added bonus name them.

I'm pretty sure it's just two. The Hulk and Karun.
Honourary Youngest Forum Member, Joint Mackem Of The Forum

"When you’re racing, it... it’s life. Anything that happens before or after... is just waiting".
mario

Post by mario »

Wizzie wrote:
the Masked Lapwing wrote:Is it 5? Hulkenberg, Buemi, Chandhok, Liuzzi and Sutil?

Wikipedia is your friend isn't it? :P

Looks like it is; in either case, it seems that those five drivers are the ones that Wizzie is looking for.

On another note, for those wondering about the question I set about the use of titanium, I guess that I might as well answer it. The teams that I was thinking of (or, at least I am aware of as being the first to use titanium) were Ensign and Team Lotus. Ensign used a titanium alloy for the pedals in the 1980 N180 car, for weight reduction; the famous accident in question was the 1980 Long Beach GP, where the brake pedal snapped and Regazzoni crashed heavily, resulting in severe spinal injuries.

The other attempt was by Team Lotus, where they used titanium to manufacture suspension arms in the early 1980's, in an attempt at weight reduction (steel being the more conventional material at the time). However, the technicians made the mistake of trying to make the suspension parts by welding the parts together without the use of an inert atmosphere. Due to the high temperatures used, the titanium would react with the oxygen and nitrogen in the atmosphere, resulting in a brittle weld which cracked when tested.
They also tried copying Ensign's tactics of titanium pedals (and again premature failure of the pedal caused De Angelis to crash, although thankfully he was unharmed), and even titanium springs, which they quickly abandoned due to creep under load.
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
James1978

Post by James1978 »

Back to the time-penalty question - was it before the Alesi incident I mentioned? What I can't remember about that was if it was a drive-through or stop-go.

I remember Olivier Grouillard getting one for something (jumping the restart)? at France 1992, but if it's before Alesi then it can't be that.
"Poor old Warwick takes it from behind all throughout this season". :) (Tony Jardine, 1988)
David AGS

Post by David AGS »

A few races before Alesi in Spain.

This driver wasnt a dud, had a lot of talent, did very well when the car was good. A BIG clue is he got a penalty at a track which is notorious to pass.
Miserable Thierry (Boutsen) staggers round mostly on ten cylinders (out of 12) with no clutch, low oil pressure, bad brakes and no grip to finish tenth, 3 laps down...

(Murray Walkers review of Boutsen's Brazil 1991 race).

Thats a point these days!
jpm

Post by jpm »

Wizzie wrote:Here's an easy one:

Out of all the drivers who raced in F1 in 2010 how many of them have driven in A1GP. And as an added bonus name them.

I know its completely unrelated, but I was shocked when I was reading through the 2005 Auto?course Annual and it showed Timo Scheider, 2008 & 2009 DTM champion and best audi driver in 2010, driving in A1 for Germany and on the podium in Laguna Seca! A secret all-rounder to challenge the F1 ranks and then win the Indy 500? If Narain can make it at 34, then Timo can!
Klon
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Klon »

jpm wrote:I know its completely unrelated, but I was shocked when I was reading through the 2005 Auto?course Annual and it showed Timo Scheider, 2008 & 2009 DTM champion and best audi driver in 2010, driving in A1 for Germany and on the podium in Laguna Seca! A secret all-rounder to challenge the F1 ranks and then win the Indy 500? If Narain can make it at 34, then Timo can!

Not until Audi or a company in the same group enters F1, since Scheider has pretty much become a works driver for Audi. And he seems to be content being the big fish in the "small" pond.
James1978

Post by James1978 »

David AGS wrote:A few races before Alesi in Spain.

This driver wasnt a dud, had a lot of talent, did very well when the car was good. A BIG clue is he got a penalty at a track which is notorious to pass.

Oh, Martini at Monaco 1991? I remember he was a bit of an a*****e that race when being lapped!!!!
"Poor old Warwick takes it from behind all throughout this season". :) (Tony Jardine, 1988)
TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

Here's one:

A few weeks ago there was a discussion on the "Triple Crown" of F1 on this forum. From memory the general consensus was the "Triple Crown" would be Monaco, Italy and Belgium. Based on that how many drivers since 1985 have won the Triple Crown?
PLAYLIFE

Post by PLAYLIFE »

mario wrote:Hmm, how about this one - we are routinely told about the exotic materials which are used in Formula 1, and their trickle down effect. One such material is titanium, which is now used in a number of different applications, from aviation to high performance road cars.

Don't wish to nit-pick, but titanium was used in the aerospace industry long before F1.

It was used extensively in the SR71-Blackbird as well as jet engines for it's great strength/weight ratio and resistance to corrosion.
1977-1982
Gli Anni Della Febbre
Gilles Villeneuve
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

Wizzie wrote:Here's one:

A few weeks ago there was a discussion on the "Triple Crown" of F1 on this forum. From memory the general consensus was the "Triple Crown" would be Monaco, Italy and Belgium. Based on that how many drivers since 1985 have won the Triple Crown?

Michael Schumacher, obviously.
Ayrton Senna.
Alain Prost.
Probably Nigel Mansell too.
Mika Häkkinen.

Maybe about 2 more besides these 5.
Colin Kolles on F111, 2011 HRT challenger: The car doesn't look too bad; it looks like a modern F1 car.
TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

DanielPT wrote:

Michael Schumacher, obviously.
Ayrton Senna.
Alain Prost.
Probably Nigel Mansell too.
Mika Häkkinen.

Maybe about 2 more besides these 5.

Schumacher, Senna and Prost are correct (Mansell never won at Monaco, Hakkinen never won at Monza). There's one more driver whose missing from that list.

And as an extension to my question how many of those has won those 3 races in the same season?
mario

Post by mario »

PLAYLIFE wrote:
mario wrote:Hmm, how about this one - we are routinely told about the exotic materials which are used in Formula 1, and their trickle down effect. One such material is titanium, which is now used in a number of different applications, from aviation to high performance road cars.

Don't wish to nit-pick, but titanium was used in the aerospace industry long before F1.

It was used extensively in the SR71-Blackbird as well as jet engines for it's great strength/weight ratio and resistance to corrosion.

You're right indeed - titanium was long used in aerospace before motorsport had the idea, particularly for military applications (there are the famous Alfa Class hunter killer submarines, developed by the Soviet Union in the 1960's and 1970's, made almost exclusively from titanium alloys). Most of the production techniques which were used in motorsport had to be adapted from aviation, and even now the aviation industry sees much more development and research in the field of titanium alloys, due to the restrictions by the FIA on the use of exotic materials.
They also use titanium alloys quite regularly for the offshore oil industry - the pipelines which run down to the sea bed are made from particularly exotic titanium alloys (to deal with fatigue problems, which is a common failure mechanism). In that case, that sort of technology comes at a price - typically $15,000 per metre of pipeline (and consider that those pipes typically last for only 4 years in service).

And Wizzie, is the missing driver David Coulthard (Monza in 1997, Belgium in '99 and Monaco in 2000 and 2002)?
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

mario wrote:And Wizzie, is the missing driver David Coulthard (Monza in 1997, Belgium in '99 and Monaco in 2000 and 2002)?

Yes it is.
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

I would say that only Senna and Schumacher won those in the same year. And from the current drivers I will say that to Fernando Alonso only Spa is missing while to Lewis Hamilton, only Monza is missing. And risk to say that no one is closer than them (Schumacher excluded).
Last edited by DanielPT on 21 Jan 2011, 12:31, edited 1 time in total.
Colin Kolles on F111, 2011 HRT challenger: The car doesn't look too bad; it looks like a modern F1 car.
TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

DanielPT wrote:I would say that only Senna and Schumacher won those in the same year.

You're half right. Senna won Monaco, Belgium and Italy in 1990. Schumacher's never done it (Even in his dominant years at Ferrari)
Bleu

Post by Bleu »

Wizzie wrote:
DanielPT wrote:I would say that only Senna and Schumacher won those in the same year.

You're half right. Senna won Monaco, Belgium and Italy in 1990. Schumacher's never done it (Even in his dominant years at Ferrari)

And in 2004 he didn't win any of them!
TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

Here's one:

In the final 4 rounds of the 2005 World Touring Car Championship only two drivers scored more points than Alex Zanardi. Name them.
Jeroen Krautmeir

Post by Jeroen Krautmeir »

In the final 4 rounds of the 2005 World Touring Car Championship only two drivers scored more points than Alex Zanardi. Name them.

Priaulx and Farfus?
Honourary Youngest Forum Member, Joint Mackem Of The Forum

"When you’re racing, it... it’s life. Anything that happens before or after... is just waiting".
TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

Jeroen Krautmeir wrote:

Priaulx and Farfus?

Correct
David AGS

Post by David AGS »

James1978 wrote:

Oh, Martini at Monaco 1991? I remember he was a bit of an a*****e that race when being lapped!!!!

Correct well done.

We had a similar topic in the past, but different question.

Who did Eddie Jordan call up as a driver before M. Schumacher got the drive in 1991 as Gachot was un-available.
Miserable Thierry (Boutsen) staggers round mostly on ten cylinders (out of 12) with no clutch, low oil pressure, bad brakes and no grip to finish tenth, 3 laps down...

James1978

Post by James1978 »

David AGS wrote:
James1978 wrote:

Correct well done.

Who did Eddie Jordan call up as a driver before M. Schumacher got the drive in 1991 as Gachot was un-available.

Yay! (I was quite surprised about Martini to be honest, he was usually quite polite. He certainly was no Grouillard/Arnoux/Alliot/De Cesaris!!!) :)

Was the Jordan driver who was unavailable Derek Warwick?
Alianora La Canta

Post by Alianora La Canta »

David AGS wrote:
James1978 wrote:

Correct well done.

Stefan Johannson. He'd driven for EJ in the lower formulae and Eddie was privately more confident of Stefan's ability than Michael's. However, Jordan also needed money (in a story that would become fairly routine over the years, bailiffs were knocking on the doors). So Eddie told Stefan that if "this German bloke" brought in the promised monies, he'd get the drive but otherwise Stefan would have the seat. Michael and his management delivered the cash and the rest is history.
David AGS

Post by David AGS »

TOO GOOD.

He probably thought Stefan knew Spa a lot more.

watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

Time for another picture round methinks:

Name that corner (all from tracks that have been on the F1 calendar at some point)

1. Image

2. Image

3. Image

4. Image

5. Image

6. Image

7. Image

8. Image

9. Image

10. Image
Watka - you know, the swimming horses guy
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

1. Bridge at Silverstone
2. Eau Rouge at Spa
3. Don't know
4. Portier at Monaco
5. Not sure, is it Coppice at Donington?
6. Karrusel at the Nordschleife
7. Casio Triangle at Suzuka
8. Would it be Turn 8 at Turkey?
9. Adelaide Hairpin at Magny Cours
10. Wait I think I know, is it turns 6 and 7 of the Nurburgring? (shorter version obviously)
I want my MTV...Simtek Ford

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
Shadaza

Post by Shadaza »

Nice idea with the corners.

1. Degna 2, Suzuka? correction, it is clearly, Bridge Silverstone.
2. Eau Rouge/Raidillon, Spa (I'd say Eau Rouge but some people like to get technical and call that part the Raidillon!)
3.Turn 1, Zandvoort (The name escapes me, if it has a name that is!)
4.Monaco!
5.Paddock Hill bend, Brands Hatch. (I know this place well as I basically live there!)
6.Karrosel/Carrosel, Nurburgring Nordshleif
7.???
8.Turn 8, Istanbul
9.Turn 1, Nurburgring Grand Prix circuit.
10.Sepang. the 3/4 complex?

oh wow looks like some one beat me to some of them!
Message me on Discord.
Myrvold

Post by Myrvold »

It's fun to see how someone thinks some corners are easy, while others find them hard!

1.Bridge
2.Eau Rouge
3.Tarzanbuckt
4.Portier
5.Paddock Hill Bend
6.Karrusell (MANY way to write that word...:P)
7.Casio Triangel
8.Turn 8 (I see what you did there! Clever and smart boy!:P)
9.Adelaide Hairpin - Magny Cours (I almost went for Haug-Haken/Castrol S before I noticed that the Castrol S was not there!)
10.Amazed that no-one have been able to see it yet, it is the Senna-S (Turn 1 and 2) at Interlagos.

I just pray that 10 doesn't fool me, if it does, I'm looking like a complete *put in your word*
tommykl

Post by tommykl »

1. Bridge-Silverstone
2. Eau Rouge-Spa
3. Tarzanbocht-Zandvoort
4. Portier-Monaco
5. Paddock Hill-Brands-Hatch
6. Karrussel-Nurburgring
7. Casio Triangle-Suzuka
8. Turn 8-Istanbul
9. Adelaide-Magny-Cours
10. "S" do Senna-Interlagos
kevinbotz wrote:Cantonese is a completely nonsensical f*cking alien language masquerading as some grossly bastardised form of Chinese

Gonzo wrote:Wasn't there some sort of communisim in the East part of Germany?
mario

Post by mario »

tommykl wrote:1. Bridge-Silverstone
2. Eau Rouge-Spa
3. Tarzanbocht-Zandvoort
4. Portier-Monaco
6. Karrussel-Nurburgring
7. Casio Triangle-Suzuka
8. Turn 8-Istanbul
9. Adelaide-Magny-Cours

I think that you have the lot, although I would argue that strictly speaking, the proper name of No. 6 is the Caracciola Karussel (where, according to the old legend, he used to hook the inside tyre onto a drainage ditch on the inside of the corner so he could take more speed into that corner).

So, on this theme, here are a few more various venues which have been used over the years for various races, and all of these venues should be fairly well known circuits.

Myrvold

Post by Myrvold »

You didn't ask for the name of the corners? In that case.

I though the first one was Autodromo Hermanos Rodrigues, but it is a lack of tyres on the inside of the corners...
Second is Zolder
Third is Mosport, down Turn 4 to Moss Corner.
Fourth is Fuji
mario

Post by mario »

Myrvold wrote:You didn't ask for the name of the corners? In that case.

I though the first one was Autodromo Hermanos Rodrigues, but it is a lack of tyres on the inside of the corners...
Second is Zolder
Third is Mosport, down Turn 4 to Moss Corner.
Fourth is Fuji

Getting the corner names would be a bonus if you could (and you've already done that for the second track). As for the tracks, you're right about all of them apart from No. 1, which is not the Autodromo Hermanos Rodrigues.
Klon
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Klon »

The first track is Anderstorp. :mrgreen:
eagleash

Post by eagleash »

Klon wrote:The first track is Anderstorp. :mrgreen:

You looked at the URL didn't you?..... :lol:
DemocalypseNow wrote: when eagleash of all people says you've gone too far about something you just know that's when to apply the brakes and do a U-turn.
watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

tommykl wrote:1. Bridge-Silverstone
2. Eau Rouge-Spa
3. Tarzanbocht-Zandvoort
4. Portier-Monaco
6. Karrussel-Nurburgring
7. Casio Triangle-Suzuka
8. Turn 8-Istanbul
9. Adelaide-Magny-Cours

I can confirm that these are all correct!
Watka - you know, the swimming horses guy
tommykl

Post by tommykl »

Let's see if you have payed attention to my Mediocrity Awards...While it's all too easy to look at the top-10 all-time drivers, the question I'm asking you is...

Who is currently in 11th position in the all-time standings?
kevinbotz wrote:Cantonese is a completely nonsensical f*cking alien language masquerading as some grossly bastardised form of Chinese

DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

Jacky Ickx?
tommykl

Post by tommykl »

DanielPT wrote:Jacky Ickx?

Correct at the first attempt!