Alternative Championships Spreadsheet usage

Archive for the three above subforums
SuperAguri
Site Donor
Site Donor

Alternative Championships Spreadsheet usage

Post by SuperAguri »

As there are quite a few people doing alternative championships, I thought it would be a good idea to just have some formulas and tricks to make it easier for people. Openoffice is free, on lots of platforms and does the job for what you want.

Set up

I suggest having the top line for the circuits, but first type in the names of drivers and teams in first two columns, I personally tend to enter drivers who race for multiple teams in seperate rows as it makes calculating team points easier. For example

PATRESE | Benetton
HERBERT | Benetton
(other drivers)
HERBERT | Lotus

Once you have done this type in the circuits using two letter codes in the top line from column 3.

You can now enter the data in your spreadsheet as you see fit. I suggest using 1 for a win, 2 for second, etc.

Counting things

To count wins you can use

=COUNTIF(start range,range end;1)

(for example to count for 16 races you would use
=COUNTIF(C2:R2;1)
)

you can count 2nds, 3rd, 4th, etc using the same way. Once you have done one, copy it and highlight all the rows below to the last driver and paste it in.

Points are a bit more tricky but are simple with a function like this. (this counts points for the 1980-1991 season)

=(COUNTIF(C47:U47;1)*9)+(COUNTIF(C47:U47;2)*6)+(COUNTIF(C47:U47;3)*4)+(COUNTIF(C47:U47;4)*3)+(COUNTIF(C47:U47;5)*2)+(COUNTIF(C47:U47;6)*1)

If you type

(COUNTIF(range start:range end;)*)+

where range is your range normally C2:U2 (for a 19 race series for the first driver) and then cut it, typing the = first and pasting the above you then type the position after the ; and the points scored after the *, once you have done this, paste again and enter the next position and the points, when finished delete the + sign at the end and press return. You can then copy the formula and paste it for every other drive in the rows above or below.

For seasons where you have drivers driving for different teams then I tend to highlight these drivers in colours and do a calculation in the next column so if scores are in column AA and you have a driver in row 7 and 11 who has scored points for different teams then I make AB blank and in AB11 I enter =AA7+AA11, for drivers that have driven for one team, for example in row 3 then in AB3 you enter =AA3

Team Points

It is possible to use look up but that can be a pain, it is easier to just add the driver points up so if Ferrari are in Rows 2 and 3 and the score is in column AA then you would use

=AA2+AA3

If you have say Lotus with 6 drivers in rows 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 and 26 then you could use

=SUM(AA21:AA26)

Sorting it out.

Highlight and copy the drivers, and goto a seperate sheet, you will see some tabs at the bottom of the screen saying Sheet1, Sheet2, etc so click Sheet2
Type Drivers in the first row of the first column
Paste the drivers in the first column
Got back to sheet 1 and highlight the column (or indeed columns) that you wish to sort, copy this and go to sheet 2
Click the first row of the second column and either press CTRL+SHIFT+V or click Edit and Paster Special.
In the pop up window, make sure only TEXT and NUMBERS are clicked in the selection fields. Then click ok.
This pastes the current numbers across, if you make changes to the first sheet then these will not change but it does make sorting easier.
Highlight the drivers, and numbers you wish to sort.
Click Data and then Sort.
If sort by has a drivers name then click options and unclick Range contains column labels then go back to Sort Criteria
if for example you have points in column b and wins in column c then you would sort by Column B in the first pull down menu then column c in the second, click Descending on both of these.
Click OK and you now have a sorted table.

Once you have this, I tend to copy the sorted columns, go to Notepad (or a basic text editor program) and delete the tabs and replacing them with spaces so they line up. Then use the Code button in the forum editor screen and paste in my results.

Hope this is useful :D
<@Ataxia> these people are making a mess of their crepe suzettes
tommykl

Re: Alternative Championships Spreadsheet usage

Post by tommykl »

[gets scared]Uhhhhhh...I think I'll pass...
kevinbotz wrote:Cantonese is a completely nonsensical f*cking alien language masquerading as some grossly bastardised form of Chinese

Gonzo wrote:Wasn't there some sort of communisim in the East part of Germany?
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

tommykl wrote:[gets scared]Uhhhhhh...I think I'll pass...

I sympathise. I get on with Microsoft Word, Powerpoint, Publisher, etc., but I have just never learnt Excel formulae.
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
tommykl

Post by tommykl »

dr-baker wrote:
tommykl wrote:[gets scared]Uhhhhhh...I think I'll pass...

I sympathise. I get on with Microsoft Word, Powerpoint, Publisher, etc., but I have just never learnt Excel formulae.

I use Excel for all my alternative championships, but just the basics.
kevinbotz wrote:Cantonese is a completely nonsensical f*cking alien language masquerading as some grossly bastardised form of Chinese

Gonzo wrote:Wasn't there some sort of communisim in the East part of Germany?
Ferrim

Post by Ferrim »

Same as I do. First column for the drivers, first row for the races. Then I enter the number of points they scored for every race. After the last race column I add a "Total" column and use a simple =SUM(B2:R2) (or whatever combination of letters and numbers is needed) to calculate the points. Then I resize the columns' width, so that I can see all the columns on screen at the same time, and that's it.
Go home, Bernie Ecclestone!

"There will be no other victory this year, I can tell you, more welcomed than this one" Bob Varsha, 1995 Canadian GP

F1 Rejects Forums – going off-topic since 2009!
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

To be honest, I do use Excel, but just to be able to visualise and collate the data. I do all the maths myself and input it. Using the "Sort & Filter" button is also useful. But these formulae? No.
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
Phoenix

Post by Phoenix »

You know what?

I write down all the results on a notebook and then I sum the points manually :lol:
SuperAguri
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by SuperAguri »

I don't know why I bothered....
<@Ataxia> these people are making a mess of their crepe suzettes
Aerospeed

Post by Aerospeed »

Phoenix wrote:You know what?

I write down all the results on a notebook and then I sum the points manually :lol:

WIN
Mistakes in potatoes will ALWAYS happen :P
Trulli bad puns...
IN JAIL NO ONE CAN HEAR YOU SCREAM
gnrpoison

Post by gnrpoison »

Thats a good idea I am going to use it for my 2011 altenative one so cheers for the help as had been using a fairly basic excel spreadsheet on a 1988 - 1990 season I did for my a level project.