2010 Brazil GP discussion thread

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: 2010 Brazil GP discussion thread

Post by FullMetalJack »

mario wrote:Does anybody know if the Toro Rosso drivers both completed a timed lap on the option tyres in FP2 (I missed the end of the session, unfortunately). I ask this because I have seen the times, and in the second session, Trulli's final time of 1m14.984 is fairly close to Alguersuari (1m14.578).

Not a bad effort, considering that in the first session he was around 0.9s off Buemi (and Trulli has been the quickest of the new drivers here, it seems). OK, this is one of the shortest laps of the year, so you would normally expect the field to be more closely bunched, but even so, that is a fairly impressive lap. Given the reputation he built up for his one lap pace, I just wonder if he might be able to pull something a bit special out of the bag tomorrow...

Maybe Toro Rosso are just crap.
I like the way Snrub thinks!
rffp

Post by rffp »

Saturday, 7:17 AM in São Paulo, and 7 km away from Interlagos circuit, there is a bloody good chance that it will rain.
A fan of Roberto Pupo Moreno, the one and only, the legend!
mario

Post by mario »

redbulljack14 wrote:
mario wrote:Does anybody know if the Toro Rosso drivers both completed a timed lap on the option tyres in FP2 (I missed the end of the session, unfortunately). I ask this because I have seen the times, and in the second session, Trulli's final time of 1m14.984 is fairly close to Alguersuari (1m14.578).

Not a bad effort, considering that in the first session he was around 0.9s off Buemi (and Trulli has been the quickest of the new drivers here, it seems). OK, this is one of the shortest laps of the year, so you would normally expect the field to be more closely bunched, but even so, that is a fairly impressive lap. Given the reputation he built up for his one lap pace, I just wonder if he might be able to pull something a bit special out of the bag tomorrow...

Maybe Toro Rosso are just crap.

Maybe - they've been putting a lot of effort into strange areas (for example, their F-duct, when at most circuits there is not much threat from the new teams, and little chance of catching Sauber, so no real need to work so hard on a device that will be banned in a few weeks). The only reason I'm asking is because their times didn't significantly improve once you take into account the track rubbering in. If Trulli or Heikki are close to them in the next session, there is just the slightest possibility of an upset of the cards...

rffp wrote:Saturday, 7:17 AM in São Paulo, and 7 km away from Interlagos circuit, there is a bloody good chance that it will rain.

Now that is interesting - thanks for the update, and let us know if it does indeed rain, because that is likely to mix the grid up a bit. It might be the one thing that drivers like Hamilton and Button wanted, because Red Bull were "untouchable" (to quote Hamilton) in dry conditions, but possibly vulnerable in mixed or wet conditions. Of course, for Alonso this is possibly not so good - the cooler conditions would be easier on his engine, but he would probably have preferred dry conditions, where he was more likely to be guaranteed a top four grid slot.
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
rffp

Post by rffp »

10 minutes for practice 3, it is drizzling here.
For the qualifying session, I will be away, but I will give updates for tomorrow!

Correction, 1h and 10 min!
A fan of Roberto Pupo Moreno, the one and only, the legend!
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

rffp wrote:10 minutes for practice 3, it is drizzling here.
For the qualifying session, I will be away, but I will give updates for tomorrow!

Correction, 1h and 10 min!

Good to hear from you again. :P
Shizuka

Post by Shizuka »

FP3 results at http://www.formula1.com/results/season/2010/842/6811/

Kubica ahead of Vettel, Hamilton, and the two Ferrari drivers. Button 9th, Webber even lower.
Will be interesting to see if it keeps being wet.

Code: Select all

14:03   RaikkonenPlsCare   There's some water in water
ADx_Wales
Location: The Fortress of Sofatude, with a laptop and a penchant for buying now TV day passes for F1 races.

Post by ADx_Wales »

Radio 5 Live in the UK is focusing on the 3pm football kick offs, as they have done since the 90s, so we're stuck with Legard :(
"The worst part of my body that hurt in the fire was my balls" Gerhard Berger on Imola 1989
Shizuka

Post by Shizuka »

Sutil fails to make the Q1 cut. WTH!
He says the tyres aren't working at all. Let's hope he can make up the field after the first ever Q1 retirement this season...

And Massa knocks out Button in way to Q3!

And Kubica spun off!

Wow, Williams' first pole since Heidfeld at 2005 Nürburgring!

DonTirri
Location: Herttoniemi, Helsinki, Finland, Europe, Earth, Sol System, Milky Way.

Post by DonTirri »

Hulkenberg O_O
I got Pointed Opinions and I ain't afraid to use em!
F1rejects no.1Räikkönen and Vettel fan.
BTW, thats Räikkönen with two K's and two N's. Not Raikonnen (Raikkonen is fine if you have no umlauts though)
Shizuka

Post by Shizuka »

He was a bit lucky too, but even his previous time could have given him the pole position!

Tealy

Post by Tealy »

Congrats to the Hulk! Who saw that coming? 1.1 seconds clear of 2nd.
Enforcer
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Enforcer »

THE HULK!!!

Pole by 1.1 seconds.
Klon
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Klon »

This is not real, I am dreaming and can fly. Holy god!
Henrique

Post by Henrique »

Wow, Williams is back :P
Tealy

Post by Tealy »

Quick thought, when was the last time a reject was on Pole?
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

Novitopoli wrote:Everytime someone orders at Pizza Hut, an Italian dies.
Novitopoli wrote:Juve's Triplete: Calciopoli, doping & Mafia connections.

Image Image
Mister Fungus

Post by Mister Fungus »

What... what in the hell was that??? :shock:
Paul Hayes

Post by Paul Hayes »

Stunning. Just stunning.

That was one of the best qualifying sessions I have ever seen. Better than some races! They were all out there on the same tyres, and none of them could beat Hulkenberg, or even beat his second-best lap.

For those of you like me who became fans of F1 during the white-and-blue Rothmans-Williams-Renault era, recent years for the team have been a bit like seeing an old friend being repeatedly beaten up by teenagers. It almost brings a tear to the eye...

I know he almost certainly can't hold onto it tomorrow. But wouldn't it be great if he could? Wouldn't it be bloody brilliant?
Bob

Post by Bob »

How on EARTH did that happen???
mediocre

Post by mediocre »

Might be a IIDOTR...
Shizuka

Post by Shizuka »

Paul Hayes wrote:Stunning. Just stunning.

That was one of the best qualifying sessions I have ever seen. Better than some races! They were all out there on the same tyres, and none of them could beat Hulkenberg, or even beat his second-best lap.

For those of you like me who became fans of F1 during the white-and-blue Rothmans-Williams-Renault era, recent years for the team have been a bit like seeing an old friend being repeatedly beaten up by teenagers. It almost brings a tear to the eye...

I know he almost certainly can't hold onto it tomorrow. But wouldn't it be great if he could? Wouldn't it be bloody brilliant?

It is. Absolutely awesome to see an unexpected pole result. Kubica could have gotten Monaco, but this is for sure, a refreshing and excellent result for Williams.
It would be nice to see him getting a podium position tomorrow, but for that, he needs to keep his head and not lose it against others. However, I can see him knocking Vettel out...

FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

GET IN THERE HULK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Williams are back, well hopefully.
GwilymJJames

Post by GwilymJJames »

Tealy wrote:Quick thought, when was the last time a reject was on Pole?

I think it might technically be Jacques Villeneuve, Australia '96.
WARNING: Vettel fan.

Shut up Eccles!
Debaser

Post by Debaser »

Listen carefully and you can hear Pastor Maldonado gently weeping to the tune of some Whitney Houston break-up song. No way is Hulkenburg leaving Williams after that.
Shizuka

Post by Shizuka »

It's very emotional to see the Red Bull drivers very surprised to see Hülkenberg taking the pole. This is a result that none of us expected. Not even them. Might be a fluke result after the race, but he must uses this pole as a springboard towards unrejectification!

Phoenix

Post by Phoenix »

The Hulk getting pole for Williams with a 1.1 seconds advantage...and I had to miss it all because of two stupid girls who wnated to see the 5th Harry Potter movie. Life sucks. Cagüen Dios...
Cynon

Post by Cynon »

Still not impressed with that result. Remember Williams's showboating in practice early last year, and how much they flunked when it came time to race...

If Hulkenberg wins the race or gets on the podium I'll be impressed barring any dumb driving.

I don't know, I can't be impressed with a dour, boring driver.
Check out the TM Master Cup Series on Youtube...
...or check out my random retro IndyCar clips.

Dr. Helmut Marko wrote: Finally we have an Australian in the team who can start a race well and challenge Vettel.
Dj_bereta

Post by Dj_bereta »

O.O the Hulk on Pole Position :shock:

First Lap pile up alert;

Tealy wrote:Quick thought, when was the last time a reject was on Pole?

Rubens Barrichello in Indy 2004, I think.
Waiting for Lotus hiring Johnny Cecotto jr.
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

This is the perfect time to overtake Force India. Liuzzi starting 16th and Sutil starting 23rd
P_Friesacher

Post by P_Friesacher »

Cynon wrote:Still not impressed with that result. Remember Williams's showboating in practice early last year,...

But how would they do that this season?!
Valrys

Post by Valrys »

Dj_bereta wrote:Rubens Barrichello in Indy 2004, I think.

Rubens Barrichello hasn't been a reject since Brazil 1994, either that's a subtle jab at Rubens or you've made a massive mistake ;)
Paul Hayes

Post by Paul Hayes »

Cynon wrote:Still not impressed with that result. Remember Williams's showboating in practice early last year, and how much they flunked when it came time to race.

Difficult to showboat when everyone's on the same tyres and (pretty much) the same fuel load, though.
Cynon

Post by Cynon »

P_Friesacher wrote:
Cynon wrote:Still not impressed with that result. Remember Williams's showboating in practice early last year,...

But how would they do that this season?!

No idea, but they have every reason to showboat because they CLEARLY don't want to hire Pastor Maldonado even though they'd be insane not to pair the Hulk with the Pastor.

Dr. Helmut Marko wrote: Finally we have an Australian in the team who can start a race well and challenge Vettel.
patrick

Post by patrick »

The real test will be the race, if they can keep him on the podium then it'll be fantastic. Sadly the Williams' dry pace suggests that he's probably more likely to end up maybe in 4th-6th.
P_Friesacher

Post by P_Friesacher »

Cynon wrote:they'd be insane not to pair the Hulk with the Pastor.

With this result?
Cynon

Post by Cynon »

P_Friesacher wrote:
Cynon wrote:they'd be insane not to pair the Hulk with the Pastor.

With this result?

Only if Frank Williams, Patrick Head, Nico Hulkenberg, and Pastor Maldonado all make that face during the launch. :mrgreen:

Klon
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Klon »

Valrys wrote:

Rubens Barrichello hasn't been a reject since Brazil 1994, either that's a subtle jab at Rubens or you've made a massive mistake ;)

He was Reject Of The Race there, maybe he was thinking about that. Also, everyone's talking about Hülkenberg's impressive pole, but just imagine the shock when Rubens Barrichello wins the thing tomorrow (deluding yourself is a lot of fun ... until these illusions come crashing down to reality). :mrgreen:
Cynon

Post by Cynon »

Klon wrote:
Valrys wrote:

He was Reject Of The Race there, maybe he was thinking about that. Also, everyone's talking about Hülkenberg's impressive pole, but just imagine the shock when Bruno Senna wins the thing tomorrow (deluding yourself is a lot of fun ... until these illusions come crashing down to reality). :mrgreen:

Fixed.

P_Friesacher

Post by P_Friesacher »

Cynon wrote:
Klon wrote:He was Reject Of The Race there, maybe he was thinking about that. Also, everyone's talking about Hülkenberg's impressive pole, but just imagine the shock when Pastor Maldonado wins the thing tomorrow (deluding yourself is a lot of fun ... until these illusions come crashing down to reality). :mrgreen:

Fixed.

New and improved V 3.0
Klon
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Klon »

Now here's some food for thoughts: according to Head, the idea of using dry tyres has been brought up by Rubens and Hülkenberg had to be convinced to try them. For me this shows two things: firstly, that pole was made by Rubens and not by the Williams team and secondly Williams is dependent on Barrichello. So even with this result I do not have to worry about Barrichello's career for now. :D