30 thin slices flat pancetta, rind removed
2 cups roughly chopped onion, carrot, celery
2 tsp tomato paste
1 tbs plain flour
1 cup (250ml) Jacob's Creek Reserve Shiraz
1 bay leaf
2 cups (500ml) beef stock

Method
1. Trim fillet of all fat and sinew, reserving the trimmings. If the fillet is the tail end, fold the thinnest end underneath to ensure even cooking. Make small incisions in beef with a sharp knife and push garlic slices into slits. Brush fillet with oil, season with salt and ground pepper, and rub with rosemary.
2. Lay slices of pancetta flat on a work surface, overlapping slightly, until you have a square large enough to enclose fillet. Place fillet in the centre, bring 1 side of the pancetta over the top, then roll fillet to enclose. Tie with kitchen string at 3cm intervals. Tightly wrap in plastic wrap and place in the fridge for 30 minutes. Remove from fridge and remove the plastic wrap.
3. Preheat oven to 200°C.
5. Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a large frypan over high heat. Add fillet and cook until browned all over. Transfer to a roasting pan, and roast in oven for 12 minutes. Cover and set aside to rest in a warm place.
5. Meanwhile, return frypan to stove over medium heat and add remaining oil. When hot, add reserved trimmings and vegetables, and cook, stirring, for 7-8 minutes or until vegetables are tinged golden. Add tomato paste and flour, and cook for 1 minute. Add shiraz, boil for 2 minutes, then add bay leaf and stock. Return to the boil, then reduce heat and cook for 5-6 minutes or until reduced and slightly thickened. Season with salt and pepper, and strain into a jug.
6. Cut the beef into medium-thick slices and serve with red wine gravy, horseradish cream and Yorkshire puddings.

Discuss!
mario wrote:I'm wondering what the hell has been going on in this thread [...] it's turned into a bizarre detour into mythical flying horses and the sort of search engine results that CoopsII is going to have a very hard time explaining ...
shinji
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Your Reject of the Race - Germany!

Post by shinji »

That's not strange at all...

Anyhoo, I think Timo Glock was the worst performer in qualifying. Everyone knew the weather was going to deteriorate towards the end of Q1. It did, and Glock was caught out horribly.

But if it rains, the race could be very rejectful indeed. Looking forward to it. (Sutil to score podium - you heard it hear first :) )
Better than 'Tour in a suit case' Takagi.
CarlosFerreira

Post by CarlosFerreira »

Bourdais was dead slow, being beaten by Buemi by 1.3 seconds. Both Williams were put out of Qualy 2, as was Nando Alonso, caught-out in a last-lap spin. Kubika - was he even in the circuit, this week?

Did anyone else notice that Suti was faster than both Ferraris in Q3? I really want to see the weights...
Stay home, Colin Kolles!
Yannick

Post by Yannick »

In qualifying, Bourdais performed somehow like expected, so according to the philosophy that only those who perform way below expectations are to get the award, there is only one team who has made a strong campaign for getting the award this time around, and that is Toyota, personified by Glock's P19. We will see tomorrow if he can stay ahead of Bourdais and get ahead of Fisi.

But how much of a use will KERS actually be at the Nürburgring? Vettel on P4 might be overtaken at the start by Hamilton, and Sutil is bunched up in P7 in the midst of all 4 KERS cars.
I don't dare anymore making a guess about the weather, so again we'll see tomorrow.
"I don't think we should be used to finance (the manufacturers') R&D because they will produce that engine anyway" said Monisha Kaltenborn.
"You will never see a Mercedes using a Ferrari engine or the other way round."
Captain Hammer

Post by Captain Hammer »

shinji wrote:That's not strange at all...

Sorry, it's my sense of humour. I was at a loss to come up with something original to discuss in the opening post since I haven't seen qualifying or the practice sessions, so I just posted the first thing I found on the internet because i needed something. I can't just leave it blank.
mario wrote:I'm wondering what the hell has been going on in this thread [...] it's turned into a bizarre detour into mythical flying horses and the sort of search engine results that CoopsII is going to have a very hard time explaining ...
RAK

Post by RAK »

Kimi Raikkonen for denying Sutil the first points for Force India.
Predicament Predictions Champion, 2011, 2018, 2019

They weren't the world's most competent team,
In fact, to be believed, their results must be seen,
Lola,
M-Mastercard Lola,
L, O, L, A, Lola!
Ben Gilbert

Post by Ben Gilbert »

Kimi Raikkonen, without any doubt.

This is the second time now he has demolished the Force Fairytale, especially considering that Adrian Sutil had a good chance for a podium, but points were almost a given. He came out after his pit just behind Massa, and though he had to stop again, he drove faster than Massa after his first stop. Adrian had done nothing wrong, and had the line into the corner, and was completely on track. Kimi was off-line, off the track, and had the option of backing off, sneaking in behind the Force India, but instead stayed on course, and ran into it.

Not only that, but he had no damage following the crash, which he looked to have gotten away with causing, again. But, once he dicovered that he may get penalised, he has the audacity to retire the car quickly, thus avoiding the penalty being given in the race.
Last edited by Ben Gilbert on 12 Jul 2009, 13:57, edited 1 time in total.
Cynon wrote:Look further down the field, enjoy the view of the little guys and/or crap drivers in cars too good for them giving their all for a meager result.

Because that's what I thought this forum celebrates the most.
Debaser

Post by Debaser »

Sutil would have 4th or 5th, probably 4th and drove a great race. Kimi not only took him out then retired which makes it all the more frustrating. Bourdais is my pick, a second slower than everyone in qualifying then an early retirement.
Klon
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Klon »

To nominate Kimi Räikkönen is too easy for me, I'll look at the top ... and we have two nominees:

Mark Webber's penalty - I'm sorry, but if you're handing out a penalty, you need to have rules to secure that it penalises the driver. If a driver can take a track position while taking a penalty, you're simply doing it wrong. This is nothing against Webber's win, which was highly deserved, would most likely even have happened if the penalty would have been executed "properly" and loooooong overdue, but...

Brawn Grand Prix - those stupid a******s, Barrichello's fuel rig stunt was certainly no accident... :x
LukeB

Post by LukeB »

Lots of candidates this time, much better then Silverstone.
I'm going with Bourdais. Needed the best weekend of his F1 career and ended up with possibly his worst. 20th in qualifying, and the only notable part of his race was his retirement. It takes a very special talent to fail harder and faster then Piquet.

Anyway, who wants to help me track down where Raikkonnen lives so we can go beat him with sticks?
Making up the numbers
Enrique Bernoldi

Post by Enrique Bernoldi »

Bourdais without a doubt. Trundling along in last but one nearly all race and then retiring early really sums up his season. He has to be an early contender for reject of the year, too.
Supporting the guys at the back since 1999. :)
Popi_Larrauri

Post by Popi_Larrauri »

LukeB wrote:Anyway, who wants to help me track down where Raikkonnen lives so we can go beat him with sticks?

Don't know, pal. But if I find it, believe me, we are together in this one.
Winners have lots of friends, losers have good friends.
fjackdaw

Post by fjackdaw »

Klon wrote:Mark Webber's penalty - I'm sorry, but if you're handing out a penalty, you need to have rules to secure that it penalises the driver. If a driver can take a track position while taking a penalty, you're simply doing it wrong.

The penalty is the same for everyone - if Mark is so much faster that he wins the race anyway, then so be it, that's racing. The penalty can't be tailored to suit the car or driver.

For me it's Barrichello for his post-race interview. An excellent display of how to lose a career. Of course he was angry, but he needed to be more diplomatic and sort it out behind closed doors. Anyone think he might not be around next race?

Or Raikkonen for taking out Sutil again.
Waris

Post by Waris »

Kimi "Perkele" Räikkönen.

Also, thanks for the nice recipe :lol:
MOTOR RACING IS DANGEROUS
jackanderton

Post by jackanderton »

"I don't want to talk to them because it'll be just blah blah blah."

Barrichello getting it spot on for once this season.
jackanderton

Post by jackanderton »

Oh yeah, the reject of the race has to be Bourdais.

Strong showings and star performances from Glock, Rosberg, Alonso and Kovalainen.

Driver of the race for the Webster.
Klon
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Klon »

fjackdaw wrote:The penalty is the same for everyone - if Mark is so much faster that he wins the race anyway, then so be it, that's racing. The penalty can't be tailored to suit the car or driver.

That wasn't my point, like I said, I believed he would've won anyways. But I believe, if it looks like this:

2.: Mark Webber

It shouldn't look directly after a penalty, and I highlight this, Directly After A Penalty, like this:

1.: Mark Webber
Henrique

Post by Henrique »

I agree that Bourdais is the reject of the race, for all the reasons mentioned, but Barrichello was way out of line.
Ross Prawn

Post by Ross Prawn »

Well, lots of contenders Lewis, Bourdais, the Brawn pit crew and Kimi all made valiant ROTR efforts, and I could even make a case for Mark Webber for the first last dodgem incident.

But I will nominate Claude-Louis Navier and George Gabriel Stokes. We have these gentlemen to thank for the Navier-Stokes equations which are the foundation of modern aerodynamics.

Without them cars would not have their aero optimised to the n'th degree and they would be able to overtake each other. The whole race was dominated by much faster cars being unable to get around slow plodders, due to the aero being thrown off as soon as one car tried to follow another. I though the regulation changes were supposed to solve this. Webber won because Massa held up Rubens for so long, also early in the race Heikki held up Button and Vettel for lap after lap. Ok, this made for an interesting race but it was a bit stupid how no-one could apparently make a passing move. I could also nominate KERS and Herman Tilke to share the award for their contributions to this situation.
"Other than the car behind and the driver who might get a bit startled with the sudden explosion in front, it really isn't a major safety issue from that point of view,"
watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

For me it's between 3 suggestions mentioned already; Raikkonen, Bourdais, and Rubens vs Brawn.

My heart says Raikkonen for what he did to Sutil (again!), and before the end of the race, I would have said Bourdais for his career ending drive. By now, I'm going for Rubens vs Brawn.

Both the team and Rubens have a point. Rubens does seem to have a point that the team are unfairly treating him, it's suspicious that all of Brawn's problems have been with his car and his race strategy. However, I think that Button has just been the better driver. When push comes to shove, Rubens cannot bang in the quick laps when he needs, so if he's leading on a 3 stop strategy, which presumably he agreed with the team before the race, he's always going to suffer later on. Anyway, the team shouldn't treat it's driver like that, and the driver shouldn't treat his team like that. I think it might be a sour end to Rubens' career if he can't find a seat elsewhere next season.
Watka - you know, the swimming horses guy
StoneColdSpider

Post by StoneColdSpider »

Rubens for me....
he diffinently wont b there next year....
if it happens again i see it completley throwing all the toys out of the pram and retiering on the spot
Im a sarcastic perverted tourist robbing Australian convict

"I want to grab Nick Fry and beat 3 shades of *BEEP* out of him
and have him rotating slowly over a spit!"
Stewart

Post by Stewart »

Why are people blaming Raikkonen for Sutil's accident? Kimi made a legitimate passing manoeuver and Sutil understeered into Raikkonen's car. It was a racing incident, nothing more, nothing less. If anything, I'd put the blame more on Sutil for being too cautious into T1 and for not keeping clear of Raikkonen on the exit.

Webber's penalty was a little harsh, perhaps. At the time I thought it was fair, because it seemsed that Webber had deliberately swerved towards Barrichello, but after seeing on-board footage from Webber, his steering wheel didn't move, so I doubt it was deliberate. Careless, perhaps, but not deserving of a penalty.

Reject of the Race has to be Barrichello...even if the team lost him the race (which they clearly didn't), you don't rant about it on TV.
Last edited by Stewart on 12 Jul 2009, 16:11, edited 1 time in total.
Robbie

Post by Robbie »

KERS.

You repeatedly watched cars come up on a KERS car and just stop--no way to get by.

That was probably the most disappointing part of the entire race.

Though Kimi's idiotic attempt to drive around the outside of T1 was eminently laughable.
Max Mosley for ROTY 2009
Nin13

Post by Nin13 »

For me REJECT OF THE RACE was LEWIS HAMILTON. Because he has updates on his car unlike Heikki's car, and Mclaren were looking forward to him to get a podium or finish strong at Mercedes's home race. So despite all that, he got good start managed to hit Webber, run wide, hit another car, again run wide at next corner and pick up puncture. After that was in last place most race, moved to 18th when 2 cars retired!! Managed to get lap just on 2nd lap!! Something that could have been avoided by sensible driving!!

Another close contestant FERNANDO ALONSO. Spun in qualifying, outqualified by Piquet Jr., spun again on warmup lap, what a shame!! But fastest lap in the end and 7th place covered up for all that!!
MICHAEL SCHUMACHER FAN.
jackanderton

Post by jackanderton »

But fastest lap in the end and 7th place covered up for all that!!

Fastest lap and 7th place counts as papering over the cracks in your opinion does it?
CarlosFerreira

Post by CarlosFerreira »

Popi_Larrauri wrote:
LukeB wrote:Anyway, who wants to help me track down where Raikkonnen lives so we can go beat him with sticks?

Don't know, pal. But if I find it, believe me, we are together in this one.

Count me in. The bloody vodka is getting to him.
I don't think Sutil was over-enthusiastic in his defence, and Kimi could have given him a it more room, the next corner was to his side.

So, a few nominees:

Hamilton: what the hell was he thinking, on cold tyre? I do that thing on TOCA 3, but I have a "restart race" option.
Raikkonen: as I mentioned above, he was a bit too aggressive with a... Force India...
Barrichello: I've had enough whining, that's all.
Stewards: the Webber penalty is preposterous, sorry.

A good feeling, there is little or no politics nominated so far. Good riddance!
Stay home, Colin Kolles!
Nuppiz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nuppiz »

I already cleared my views on the Räikkönen-Sutil incident in the race discussion topic, and look to it not much further. Let's just say that he claimed to have engine problems in an interview in Finnish, and the mechanics were closely looking at the sidepods and the area that crashed when he pitted.

I'll be nominating the stewards for the whole weekend involving GP2 also. In today's feature race they handed a drive-thru penalty for Vitali Petrov from an incident very similar to what we saw in the F1 race, quite a few laps after it had happened. Curiously, that allowed the German Nico Hülkenberg to cruise for an easy victory...

And giving Glock a penalty for "blocking" in a place where it wasn't possible to give way was absurd. But the clincher was of course Webber's penalty for an incident that hurt no-one and was a pure accident. Curious to see what penalty they'll give to Räikkönen or Sutil post-race...
Eurosport broadcast for the 1990 Mexican GP prequalifying:
"The Life, it looked very lifeless yet again... in fact Bruno did one, slow lap"
Bleu

Post by Bleu »

Reject of the race has to be Mark Webber's bad luck monkey.
Barbazza

Post by Barbazza »

I honestly think Raikkonen/Sutil was a pure accident, but I don't buy Webber's move on Rubens being accidental, sorry. Not that it really matters fortunately.

For me it has to be Lewis and another outing for his wild overenthusiasm. 'Look at my start, look, I'm DEFINITELY going to do well this time, I'm in the lead! Oh....shite.'
Seen it too many times before now and he never learns. Glad Heikki got a point to rub it in!
CarlosFerreira

Post by CarlosFerreira »

I agree Mark Webber probably overcooked it a bit, but in an F1 car you can't really see outside. Did him and Barrichello actually touch? I was under the impression they didn't.
Stay home, Colin Kolles!
tc3j3r

Post by tc3j3r »

KERS. Destroyed the race - without it we could have seen a four-way fight for the win between Webber, Vettel, Barrichello and Button.
Nin13

Post by Nin13 »

jackanderton wrote:
But fastest lap in the end and 7th place covered up for all that!!

Fastest lap and 7th place counts as papering over the cracks in your opinion does it?

Yes it does, I think!!
MICHAEL SCHUMACHER FAN.
runningboots

Post by runningboots »

I vote for Barrichello. That outburst, from someone of his experience is a bit daft. Had he been 2/3rds of the way through a bottle of wine, I could forgive him, but that was a bit silly :roll:

Ross Brawn should fire him and give the drive to Anthony Davidson.
Cynon

Post by Cynon »

Curious to see what penalty they'll give to Räikkönen or Sutil post-race...

A Ferrari getting a penalty? Crazy talk... just crazy...

My vote for Reject of the Race: The Entire Field Minus the #14 Red Bull-Renault, the #16 Williams, and the #21 Force India.

Mark Webber got a drive through penalty that would have put Vettel in front of him, but the Aussie was so fast that the fact everyone got beaten by someone who got a drive through penalty should give them some kind of dunce cap... so why not ROTR?
Check out the TM Master Cup Series on Youtube...
...or check out my random retro IndyCar clips.

Dr. Helmut Marko wrote: Finally we have an Australian in the team who can start a race well and challenge Vettel.
tc3j3r

Post by tc3j3r »

Cynon wrote:
Curious to see what penalty they'll give to Räikkönen or Sutil post-race...

A Ferrari getting a penalty? Crazy talk... just crazy...

My vote for Reject of the Race: The Entire Field Minus the #14 Red Bull-Renault, the #16 Williams, and the #21 Force India.

Mark Webber got a drive through penalty that would have put Vettel in front of him, but the Aussie was so fast that the fact everyone got beaten by someone who got a drive through penalty should give them some kind of dunce cap... so why not ROTR?

That's not really fair, remember that the cars that could have challenged Webber for the win spent the first portion of the race stuck behind Kovalainen and Massa, who were impossible to overtake due to their KERS buttons (as I've said, KERS deserves RotR for this reason). The time lost in the "KERS train" probably lost Vettel & co more time than Webber lost due to the penalty, and you have to remember that most of the field were driving cars significantly slower than Webber's Red Bull. So, IMO, your nomination of the entire field is completely unjustified.
Jack O Malley

Post by Jack O Malley »

CarlosFerreira wrote:I agree Mark Webber probably overcooked it a bit, but in an F1 car you can't really see outside. Did him and Barrichello actually touch? I was under the impression they didn't.

They did! Barrichello had a black spot on his sidepod.
Sorry guys, I had a little outing.
CarlosFerreira

Post by CarlosFerreira »

Jack O Malley wrote:
CarlosFerreira wrote:I agree Mark Webber probably overcooked it a bit, but in an F1 car you can't really see outside. Did him and Barrichello actually touch? I was under the impression they didn't.

OK, OK, I was just not sure. The footage inside Webber's car didn't seem to indicate any bump.
Stay home, Colin Kolles!
fjackdaw

Post by fjackdaw »

CarlosFerreira wrote:
Jack O Malley wrote:

OK, OK, I was just not sure. The footage inside Webber's car didn't seem to indicate any bump.

You must have been looking at different footage to me. The footage I saw, there was quite a clonk.
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

I'm going to vote for Kubica, very anonymous considering he was last year's Driver of the Year. That machine is not doing him or Heidfeld any favours at all.
I like the way Snrub thinks!
noisebox

Post by noisebox »

Raikkonen for his continuing one man vendetta against Sutil. Bastard!
"will you stop him playing tennis then?", referring to Montoya's famous shoulder injury, to which Whitmarsh replied "well, it's very difficult to play tennis on a motorbike"