Red Bull "to build team around Vettel"

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
mario

Red Bull "to build team around Vettel"

Post by mario »

In an interview with Auto Bild, Horner has openly stated that Red Bull are going to focus all of their long term efforts on Vettel, in the expectation that they will be able to keep Vettel on board for a number of years. On top of that, Horner's comments about Webber are likely to re-open rumours that Webber is considering retiring from the sport, should he win the title this year.

"I repeat: we are building the team around Sebastian," Horner told Auto Bild. "Sebastian has a long career ahead of him and hopefully he will spend it with us. Mark is in the autumn of his career. He wants to retire while he's at the top, not when he's past his peak like some other drivers."

Comments extracted from this article here http://en.espnf1.com/redbull/motorsport ... MP=OTC-RSS

I would like to make it clear, though, that Horner is specifically referring to future seasons (i.e. 2011 onwards) - for the moment, there are no indications that Red Bull are favouring Vettel over Webber at the moment. In fact, in theory, it should be Webber who is favoured, as he is the leading contender in the drivers championship, although whether that is borne out in practise is another debate entirely...

Although this is not surprising, given that the management of Red Bull, in particular individuals like Mateschitz and Marko, have stated their preference for Vettel, it is still disappointing in some ways. Alonso, as to be expected, has installed himself as an undisputed No. 1 driver at Ferrari, Renault have traditionally run a No. 1 and No. 2 driver system, and now it seems that Red Bull are going to do the same thing. Only Mclaren, it seems, intend on treating both drivers evenly out of the leading teams.

I have to admit that whilst the practise is fairly widespread, I'm not always that keen on seeing it being implemented. Being made a subservient second driver often ruins the career of many a promising driver as they are undermined from within the team. We saw that Rubens was steamrollered by Schumacher at Ferrari, how Alonso was the favoured one at Renault under Flavio's rule (and how Trulli was thrown out of the team in 2004, even though, up until that point, he was ahead of Alonso in the WDC).
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
Shizuka

Re: Red Bull "to build team around Vettel"

Post by Shizuka »

Interesting.

If they are willing to favour Vettel, they should try to help Webber to get the title this year, so he can have a thinking about retiring on a high note, solving the problem of having him in the team as World Champion being Nr. 2. However, if he would like to race like that, he could help Vettel to win next year, if the car will be up to it.
Somehow they need to find a way to come away with both titles this season. If Vettel takes it away from Webber, which can be possible, Webber still might say "enough" and leave F1. But: if he stays in at 2011, that might bring up more internal problems within the team if Webber again will be ahead of the German driver.

Horner, Marko and Mateschitz will have to think about this season if Webber finishes ahead of Vettel, who let's say, gets zero points this race. If Mark finishes 2nd, Vettel retires, Alonso finishes 3rd, that would mean Mark 238 - Alonso 221 - Vettel 206; and 32 points are very unlikely to bridge unless Webber loses his cool which did happen to Lewis Hamilton in his debut season, handing the title to Kimi in 2007.

As you already mentioned, Ferrari have no such problems this season. Massa supports Alonso, but not manages to actually HELP him as he floundered in recent races. In Interlagos, Ferrari needs to capitalize on a 1-2 to have their best chance at winning in Abu-Dhabi, but seeing the 2009 car floundering around, not scoring points IIRC, that might be a questionmark.

And about McLaren... Hamilton might fight his way to a Jeongam win, but if he gets only seven points off Webber, that won't be enough still. Sure, Mark didn't have mechanical retirements UNLIKE Hamilton (Hungaroring), Button (Monaco), Alonso (Sepang), but the devil NEVER sleeps. Button might have to go daredevil and get a high downforce run a la Monza in Interlagos, but against the two Ferraris it will be a tough ride...

To conclude: This year's Champion either will be a Red Bull driver, or problems will arise.

Code: Select all

14:03   RaikkonenPlsCare   There's some water in water
ADx_Wales
Location: The Fortress of Sofatude, with a laptop and a penchant for buying now TV day passes for F1 races.

Post by ADx_Wales »

Thought they built a team around Vettel before...

...what was it called again...

...oh yeah, toro rosso.
"The worst part of my body that hurt in the fire was my balls" Gerhard Berger on Imola 1989
Benetton

Post by Benetton »

Vettel & Red Bull = Schumacher & Benetton

coops

Post by coops »

Building a team round a driver like Vettel is a gamble. To me it always looks like the team lead Vettel at the moment, they cosset him and build him up. He seems a genuinely nice guy but to lead a team you need a bit of the Alonso's about you. As a back up Id employ a decent #2 to keep him under pressure (not one of those Toro Rosso idiots, someone like Sato or Davidson) because without that fear of being beaten from within I can see him becoming complacent, perhaps even Ralf Schumacher II. At the end of the day if the team keeps telling you how great you are then when the results dont go your way, well, it cant be anything you're doing can it?
"Aerodynamics is for those who cannot manufacture good engines."
-Enzo Ferrari
Benetton

Post by Benetton »

coops wrote:Building a team round a driver like Vettel is a gamble. To me it always looks like the team lead Vettel at the moment, they cosset him and build him up. He seems a genuinely nice guy but to lead a team you need a bit of the Alonso's about you. As a back up Id employ a decent #2 to keep him under pressure (not one of those Toro Rosso idiots, someone like Sato or Davidson) because without that fear of being beaten from within I can see him becoming complacent, perhaps even Ralf Schumacher II. At the end of the day if the team keeps telling you how great you are then when the results dont go your way, well, it cant be anything you're doing can it?

Agreed. Isn't that what Villeneuve said yesterday?? Sorry no links, but it's probably on Autosport etc. IMO Vettel's true speed has yet been tested (in the dry). The Toro Rosso '08 was a good package, but besides those wet weather performances I don't remember anything miraculous Vettel did. And the '09 and '10 Red Bull's have been, well, the cars of the grid (except for Brawn GP).

There is one big difference about Hamilton and Vettel. Hamilton has proven his speed (McLaren '09), he is the faster of the two. There I said it. However, Hamilton has also already taken some slack from the media, faced pressure, lost a title, lied to stewards, caught driving dangerously in civil traffic.. and Vettel.. well his nerves ought to be tested, but with Red Bull always covering up from him, he could turn out to bee too comfortable to find any speed.
Shizuka

Post by Shizuka »

Vettel does indeed need a consistent 2nd driver.

Alguersuari MIGHT be up for that if Webber retires. Otherwise, I don't know who can be racing next to Sebastian.

Benetton

Post by Benetton »

Shizuka wrote:Vettel does indeed need a consistent 2nd driver.

Alguersuari MIGHT be up for that if Webber retires. Otherwise, I don't know who can be racing next to Sebastian.

Sutil?
Shizuka

Post by Shizuka »

Sutil would be a good choice.

ADx_Wales
Location: The Fortress of Sofatude, with a laptop and a penchant for buying now TV day passes for F1 races.

Post by ADx_Wales »

They'd better not have applied this strategy already, give webber the chance to win this year then swap the focus around next year, everyones a winner, except McLaren Ferrari and Hispania.
"The worst part of my body that hurt in the fire was my balls" Gerhard Berger on Imola 1989
Cynon

Post by Cynon »

ADx_Wales wrote:They'd better not have applied this strategy already, give webber the chance to win this year then swap the focus around next year, everyones a winner, except McLaren Ferrari and Hispania.

Um.

Turkey?
Check out the TM Master Cup Series on Youtube...
...or check out my random retro IndyCar clips.

Dr. Helmut Marko wrote: Finally we have an Australian in the team who can start a race well and challenge Vettel.
thehemogoblin

Post by thehemogoblin »

Cynon wrote:
ADx_Wales wrote:They'd better not have applied this strategy already, give webber the chance to win this year then swap the focus around next year, everyones a winner, except McLaren Ferrari and Hispania.

Um.

Turkey?

Dude, Thanksgiving is in November.
Cynon

Post by Cynon »

thehemogoblin wrote:
Cynon wrote:

Um.

Turkey?

Oh, like how Vettel should give thanks for the team giving him the championship then?

Aaah... I see.
Check out the TM Master Cup Series on Youtube...
...or check out my random retro IndyCar clips.

Dr. Helmut Marko wrote: Finally we have an Australian in the team who can start a race well and challenge Vettel.
thehemogoblin

Post by thehemogoblin »

Cynon wrote:
thehemogoblin wrote:
Cynon wrote:Um.

Turkey?

Oh, like how Vettel should give thanks for the team giving him the championship then?

Aaah... I see.

That joke was made pretty much solely for your benefit.
CarlosFerreira

Post by CarlosFerreira »

Benetton wrote:

Sutil?

Sutil would be way too good for a number 2. I believe he'd really outgun Vettel in half a season, and become Mark Webber part 2. I'd also like point out that the words "Alguersuari" and "consistent" can't lawfully be used in the same sentence.

You do have to argue what's this all about. Yes, we've known for a while that this would be the way forward, and Horner could be simply speaking candidly - but surely, surely this is not the right time to do it? Why put this out in the press as the title decider comes to the squeeze? Go home, Christian Horner.

And I am not convinced of the wisdom of this. For those into their MotoGP: HRC decided to build the Repsol team around Pedrosa - who, much like Vettel, is a nice guy, impossibly fast at times, but a bit of a knob. And they have had the team cosseting him all along, and allowed Jaime Puig, Pedrosa's manager and a complete tool himself, run the team from the backstage. The result? Utter fail. Honda has had to go into Ducati (an Italian outfit, of all places!) to get Livio Suppo and Casey Stoner, who will now set about ignoring Puig and, sadly, destroying Pedrosa's career for ever and ever.
Stay home, Colin Kolles!
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

CarlosFerreira wrote:
Benetton wrote:

Sutil?

Sutil would be way too good for a number 2. I believe he'd really outgun Vettel in half a season, and become Mark Webber part 2. I'd also like point out that the words "Alguersuari" and "consistent" can't lawfully be used in the same sentence.

Well, if Red Bull are worried that Sutil might beat Vettel, then, to be frank, he really isn't worth bothering building the team around in the first place. Either he simply isn't as good as he's hyped up to be, or his mindset is so fragile, Red Bull would effectively have to employ someone like Johnny Dumfries to keep him happy, crippling their WCC chances in the process.

Sutil is good, that much can be said. But as much as I would like to entertain the notion of him beating Vettel, I can't see it happening. Either because he lacks the raw pace in the first place, or because the team can't afford another Mark Webber, and will sabotage him to protect Vettel's reputation and mindset.
Sebastian Vettel wrote:If I was good at losing I wouldn't be in Formula 1.
Everything's great.
I'm not surprised about anything.
Shizuka

Post by Shizuka »

It might happen, if, Button's contract ends or he leaves later, and Sutil takes his seat at McLaren. Sutil and Hamilton would be a decent and competetive pair, I think.

Benetton

Post by Benetton »

I'm a Sutil homer, yet even I don't see him being as fast as Vettel. Sutil is just the guy Red Bull needs; an above average driver with occasional great performances, a driver that can push Vettel at times. And RBR wouldn't loose hope of winning the WCC with Sutil on board.
Aerospeed

Post by Aerospeed »

What else isn't new? There's been talks of Webber being #2 since the Turkish GP! JEEZ!

And besides, what else hasn't happened that's either innovational/notable without Vettel? Coulthard was just a test dummy.

I hate Vettel. And I always will. :evil:
Mistakes in potatoes will ALWAYS happen :P
Trulli bad puns...
IN JAIL NO ONE CAN HEAR YOU SCREAM
CarlosFerreira

Post by CarlosFerreira »

JeremyMcClean wrote:What else isn't new? There's been talks of Webber being #2 since the Turkish GP! JEEZ!

And besides, what else hasn't happened that's either innovational/notable without Vettel? Coulthard was just a test dummy.

I hate Vettel. And I always will. :evil:

Relax... breathe deep... it's all right... Spring will come in a few months... ;)
Stay home, Colin Kolles!