Perry McCarthy

The place for respectful and reverent discussion of Reject drivers and teams, whether profiled or not as yet
senorsoupe

Perry McCarthy

Post by senorsoupe »

Just bought and read his book "Flat out, flat broke" and it is hilarious!!!! He was so unfortunate throughout his career. I know this sounds like spam, but It is not supposed to be, just a tribute to "Mad Dog" Perry!!
jonnyeol

Re: Perry McCarthy

Post by jonnyeol »

Must get a copy one day - he lives not far from where I grew up in Essex. Suprised I never saw him around....perhaps he was driving too fast?
Zsolt Baumgartner. There - I Said It.
runningboots

Post by runningboots »

Aye, it's a great book. I feel sad for him that at his last competitive event (willing to be corrected :) ) at Le Mans 2003 (?) in the Audi UK R8, Frank Biela ran out of fuel in the first stint after going the wrong way round a lapped car at the Ford Chicane and being forced to start a new lap. Perry never did a stint (neither did Johnny Herbert that year). Just sums up his driving career.
Ross Prawn

Post by Ross Prawn »

Perry is now commentating on the CBeebies feed on the BBC digital.
"Other than the car behind and the driver who might get a bit startled with the sudden explosion in front, it really isn't a major safety issue from that point of view,"
Barbazza

Post by Barbazza »

You're joking! I put that feed on earlier to see what it was like and was surprised to find it quite entertaining and certainly less patronising than 99% of ITV's coverage over the last few years.
I heard the second commentator (who wasn't as good) say 'well, Perry....' and thought to myself, 'no, it can't be...'

Seems that it is then!
Alianora La Canta

Post by Alianora La Canta »

"Flat Out, Flat Broke" is one of the best F1 books I've ever read, and certainly the best I've seen on life at the back of the grid. Perry McCarthy certainly knows how to carry a storyline - pity it didn't have an especially happy ending from a professional perspective.

I don't have digital and therefore haven't heard Perry's commentary, but if he's as good a talker as he is a writer, then there will be a lot of thoroughly entertained families listening through the CBeebies feed :)
Rodrigo

Post by Rodrigo »

Was it in this book that he revealed that he was the first Stig??
Fitch

Post by Fitch »

Yep and they promptly launched him off of an Aircraft Carrier for it..............
Rentragmuab Tlosz!!!!!
minrdi

Post by minrdi »

...to be replaced (apparently) by another F1 Reject grandee!

A terrible shame for Perry that his dreams didn't turn into reality and that he will be best remembered for being a victim of the farce that was Andrea Moda. I agree that it's an amazing read, I thoroughly enjoyed the book.
"The advantage of jumping the start is that you can get away a lot quicker." - Murray Walker

Editor, Richard's F1
Visit my F1 website at http://richardsf1.com
Exclusive news, reviews and interviews for F1, IndyCar, V8 Supercars and the WTCC
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

I am aware that this is the biggest, most epic thread bump to have occurred to date, but hey, this is the most appropriate thread for what I am about to post, and this is what I would have entitled the thread if I were to start a new thread...

PERRY McCARTHY IS ON PAGE 63 OF THIS WEEK'S AUTOSPORT MAGAZINE !!! A WHOLE ARTICLE !!! 15 QUESTIONS FOR PERRY McCARTHY !!!

For those who may not know, I believe he provided the inspiration for this website, and it's his helmet that appears in the address bar alongside the website's URL.
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
Leyton House

Post by Leyton House »

I've got that book myself. I've read it about five times and it just never gets old.

My favourite quote is when he is having a go at his suddenly rich father about wasting his money on stupid things;

"Well son, we were bombed out twice and.... we never 'ad a jet..."

Apart from the F1 debacle there is plenty about the rest of his life, that McCarthy luck just follows him everywhere!
Faustus
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Faustus »

dr-baker wrote:I am aware that this is the biggest, most epic thread bump to have occurred to date, but hey, this is the most appropriate thread for what I am about to post, and this is what I would have entitled the thread if I were to start a new thread...

PERRY McCARTHY IS ON PAGE 63 OF THIS WEEK'S AUTOSPORT MAGAZINE !!! A WHOLE ARTICLE !!! 15 QUESTIONS FOR PERRY McCARTHY !!!

For those who may not know, I believe he provided the inspiration for this website, and it's his helmet that appears in the address bar alongside the website's URL.

Looks like I'm buying Autosport this week.
Following Formula 1 since 1984.
Avid collector of Formula 1 season guides and reviews.
Collector of reject merchandise and 1/43rd scale reject model cars.
roblo97

Post by roblo97 »

Faustus wrote:
dr-baker wrote:I am aware that this is the biggest, most epic thread bump to have occurred to date, but hey, this is the most appropriate thread for what I am about to post, and this is what I would have entitled the thread if I were to start a new thread...

Looks like I'm buying Autosport this week.

I got it in the post and it is rather interesting and funny.
Mexicola wrote:
shinji wrote:
Mexicola wrote: I'd rather listen to a dog lick its balls. Each to their own, I guess.

Does listening to a dog licking its balls get you excited?

That's between me and my internet service provider.

One of those journalist types.
270 Tube stations in 18:42:50!