Jensationalism....

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
noisebox

Jensationalism....

Post by noisebox »

is the new Lewisteria!
"will you stop him playing tennis then?", referring to Montoya's famous shoulder injury, to which Whitmarsh replied "well, it's very difficult to play tennis on a motorbike"
Paul Hayes

Re: Jensationalism....

Post by Paul Hayes »

What with this and Andymonium almost upon us, how will we cope?
Pedro_Diniz

Post by Pedro_Diniz »

It's shocking how many times I've seen something about Jenson in F1 Racing this year :roll:
Kimi: "I was having a sheeet."
Captain Hammer

Post by Captain Hammer »

The problem is that we Buttoneers - the ones who have been with him since Square One - often get lumped into the same bracket as Jensationalists.
mario wrote:I'm wondering what the hell has been going on in this thread [...] it's turned into a bizarre detour into mythical flying horses and the sort of search engine results that CoopsII is going to have a very hard time explaining ...
noisebox

Post by noisebox »

Captain Hammer wrote:The problem is that we Buttoneers - the ones who have been with him since Square One - often get lumped into the same bracket as Jensationalists.

Agreed, but admit it, you thought he was crap in 2007 & 2008, no?
"will you stop him playing tennis then?", referring to Montoya's famous shoulder injury, to which Whitmarsh replied "well, it's very difficult to play tennis on a motorbike"
Captain Hammer

Post by Captain Hammer »

noisebox wrote:
Captain Hammer wrote:The problem is that we Buttoneers - the ones who have been with him since Square One - often get lumped into the same bracket as Jensationalists.

Oh, absolutely. That didn't stop me from looking for his name first on the timing sheets though. I'm not the sort to abandon ship at the first sign of rough seas. And I'm especially not the sort to abandon ship at the first sign of rough seas and then get back on as if nothing had ever happened once she proved to be the fastest ship about.
mario wrote:I'm wondering what the hell has been going on in this thread [...] it's turned into a bizarre detour into mythical flying horses and the sort of search engine results that CoopsII is going to have a very hard time explaining ...
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

Captain Hammer wrote:
noisebox wrote:

Oh, absolutely. That didn't stop me from looking for his name first on the timing sheets though. I'm not the sort to abandon ship at the first sign of rough seas. And I'm especially not the sort to abandon ship at the first sign of rough seas and then get back on as if nothing had ever happened once she proved to be the fastest ship about.

At least i'm not the only one who's followed him since 2000, always been Britiains Number 1 in my opinion. Lewisteria always pissed me off, I actually didn't care when Lewis won the championship and I didn't abandon ship. I was jumping in the air when he finished 5th in China 2007.
I like the way Snrub thinks!
noisebox

Post by noisebox »

Captain Hammer wrote:
noisebox wrote:

Fair eneough, I've followed him since day 1 too - brilliant to see him getting the results he deserves. I think he's the Greg Norman of F1 - brilliant when things are in his favour, but struggles when things are against him...
CarlosFerreira

Post by CarlosFerreira »

I'm gonna piss everyone off and admit I've alsways thought he wasn't that good. Still do, chaps. A great endurance racer, perhaps, a guy like Alain Prost. But I've never seen the flame, like Senna, Schumacher or Alonso or Hamilton, in him. You know, that feeling that the guy is always going to drive the wheels off the thing, even if it's a wheel barrow.
Stay home, Colin Kolles!
DonTirri
Location: Herttoniemi, Helsinki, Finland, Europe, Earth, Sol System, Milky Way.

Post by DonTirri »

CarlosFerreira wrote:I'm gonna piss everyone off and admit I've alsways thought he wasn't that good. Still do, chaps. A great endurance racer, perhaps, a guy like Alain Prost. But I've never seen the flame, like Senna, Schumacher or Alonso or Hamilton, in him. You know, that feeling that the guy is always going to drive the wheels off the thing, even if it's a wheel barrow.

I would rather group Jenson with the couple of other British F1-champions (yes, i count Button as a champ already).

no, not Clark, Stewart or Graham Hill. But Damon Hill and Nigel Mansell.

Few flashes of brilliance every now and then, but only being able to consistently win or even be competetive when driving the best car on the grid.

I also predict him to go the way of Mansell and Hil after winning the title/Not having the best car: going to another team, having few more flashes of brilliance and then disappearing after few embarrassing performances. Let me draw it out for you:

Button: Few flashes of brilliance with Williams and B.A.R -> sucked in a Honda -> Champ 09 (it will happen, trust me) -> ?
Mansell: few flashes of brilliance in the 80's with williams, -> champ 92 -> CART 93 -> few races on Williams in 94, one win -> Absolute shite in McLaren on 95, not being able to match even Häkkinen.
Hill: Few flashes of brilliand in 93, 94, 95 -> Champ 96 -> a Season with Arrows, one good race (Hungary) -> jordan 98, one win -> No motivation and absolutely smoked by Frenzen at 99.)
I got Pointed Opinions and I ain't afraid to use em!
F1rejects no.1Räikkönen and Vettel fan.
BTW, thats Räikkönen with two K's and two N's. Not Raikonnen (Raikkonen is fine if you have no umlauts though)
Pedro_Diniz

Post by Pedro_Diniz »

DonTirri is absolutely correct, although I regard Mansell alot more than I do Button for a variety of reasons.
I've always liked Jenson but there's no way he's the best driver on the grid, he simply has the superior car under his arse.
Kimi: "I was having a sheeet."
CarlosFerreira

Post by CarlosFerreira »

Mansell was my childhood hero. He had that crazyness to him, he might not have been the fastest, but he'd be trying. Sideways.

Button was fast at the beginning of his career, but incredibly un-aggressive. He improved on that, sure, and there's a lot of merit to his driving style, the management of tyres and all that. I just can't get excited seeing him drive. Nothing against him, and I am sure he will be champ in 2009, deservingly. In a way, the comparison with Hill isn't off the mark at any rate.
Stay home, Colin Kolles!
Ross Prawn

Post by Ross Prawn »

I don't think its fair to dismiss Jenson's success because he is in the best car. Part of the game is positioning yourself to be in the best car. Prost, Senna, Schumi and Mansell all did this. And Jenson made a lot a sacrifices to get into the Brawn. Buying himself out of Williams, and then staying on with Brawn when there was ahuge chance they would be sunk. So he's made the right decisions and reaped a benefit, part of the game.

And then when you get the best car you have to make the most of it. And Jenson is certainly doing this. Not every driver can raise his game when in this position, look at Coulthard and Barrichelo.

He's very good. I think the Prost is the best comparison. Smooth and intelligent.
"Other than the car behind and the driver who might get a bit startled with the sudden explosion in front, it really isn't a major safety issue from that point of view,"
Robbie

Post by Robbie »

You can say he's just fast because he's in the best car, but he has pulled some fantastic laps out of the bag when need be in quali.

I've been a fan since '03 when he started his demolition of Jacques. Never wavered a bit, even was screaming as he got punted out of the 06 USGP.

@redbulljack14: Button was fourth in China in 2007, not fifth.
Max Mosley for ROTY 2009
Klon
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Klon »

Robbie wrote:@redbulljack14: Button was fourth in China in 2007, not fifth.

No, he wasn't. Sebastian Vettel took fourth in China two years ago.
CarlosFerreira

Post by CarlosFerreira »

Ross Prawn wrote:I don't think its fair to dismiss Jenson's success because he is in the best car. Part of the game is positioning yourself to be in the best car. Prost, Senna, Schumi and Mansell all did this. And Jenson made a lot a sacrifices to get into the Brawn. Buying himself out of Williams, and then staying on with Brawn when there was ahuge chance they would be sunk. So he's made the right decisions and reaped a benefit, part of the game.

And then when you get the best car you have to make the most of it. And Jenson is certainly doing this. Not every driver can raise his game when in this position, look at Coulthard and Barrichelo.

He's very good. I think the Prost is the best comparison. Smooth and intelligent.

I wouldn't dismiss Button. He's good. But he is Damon Hill good - which is a fine vintage by any means -, that was my point.
Stay home, Colin Kolles!
Captain Hammer

Post by Captain Hammer »

Well, he just finished P3 in 12th place.

Mind you, that seems to be expcted of him. He's absolutely nowhere, happy to circulate at the bottom of the timing sheets until the dying moments of Q3.