Sarrazin/Montagny/Bourdais on pole at 24 heures du Mans

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
Yannick

Sarrazin/Montagny/Bourdais on pole at 24 heures du Mans

Post by Yannick »

The 24 hours du Mans this year will yet again have quite a significance for drivers who have a profile on the site, or are eligible for one. Peugeut has scored the prestigious pole position with their #8 car of Stephane Sarrazin (ex-Minardi), Franck Montagny (ex-SuperAguri) and Sebastien Bourdais (Toro Rosso). And there are more drivers on the grid that are important to this website. Look for Alan McNish, Pedro Lamy, Christian Klien, J-C Boullion, Marc Gene, Alexander Wurz, David Brabham, Tomas Enge, Anthony Davidson, Jos Verstappen, Neel Jani, Christian Albers, Narain Karthikeyan, Tiago Monteiro (sharing a car with Bruno Senna), Olivier Panis, Hideki Noda, Jan Magnussen, Olivier Beretta, Mika Salo, Gianmaria Bruni and Eric van de Poele all lined up on the grid there.
"I don't think we should be used to finance (the manufacturers') R&D because they will produce that engine anyway" said Monisha Kaltenborn.
"You will never see a Mercedes using a Ferrari engine or the other way round."
RAK

Re: Sarrazin/Montagny/Bourdais on pole at 24 heures du Mans

Post by RAK »

I guess that it's the only time this year Bourdais is going to score a pole position.
Predicament Predictions Champion, 2011, 2018, 2019

They weren't the world's most competent team,
In fact, to be believed, their results must be seen,
Lola,
M-Mastercard Lola,
L, O, L, A, Lola!
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

But he's already scored a podium... at this year's 12 Hours of Sebring in a Peugeot alongside Montagny and Sarrazin a week before the Australian Grand Prix.
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
RejectSteve

Post by RejectSteve »

Yannick wrote:Alan McNish
There is likely to be one of your winners. The Peugeot 908 HDi FAPs might have the single lap speed advantage on the Audis, but Peugeot lack the race craft and teamwork that are the hallmark of Reinhold Joest's operation. If it doesn't strike problems, the best of the Peugeots could be the Pescarolo Sport run car with chicken-flavoured reject Jean-Christophe Boullion Cube.
Nissanymania! Friday has never been the same since.

The car in front is a Stefan.
Debaser

Post by Debaser »

The Le Mans 24 hours could be called "The F1 rejects in heaven" GP as the race is full of rejects, even a soon to be reject is in the race (Bourdais is yet to exit reject status). Audi will probably win but the Peugeot's are fast enough to give them a hard race.
Fitch

Post by Fitch »

with chicken-flavoured reject Jean-Christophe Boullion Cube.

I woke up my Baby girl, I was laughing so hard....thanks.............
Rentragmuab Tlosz!!!!!
Waris

Post by Waris »

Am I the only one who thinks the name "Peugeot 908 HDi FAP" is hilarious?
MOTOR RACING IS DANGEROUS
Henrique

Post by Henrique »

I hope Pedro Lamy and Tiago Monteiro get to fight each other somewhere, to decide who's the best in Portugal once and for all.
GinShaiman

Post by GinShaiman »

and lets not forget Jan Magnussen and Marco Apicella.
Ross Prawn

Post by Ross Prawn »

According to the summary on my Sky box, Eurosport are televising the whole 24 Hours from the Le Mans Bugatti circuit. :roll: That'll be lots of pictures of the campsite then !
"Other than the car behind and the driver who might get a bit startled with the sudden explosion in front, it really isn't a major safety issue from that point of view,"
StoneColdSpider

Post by StoneColdSpider »

who drove the car to get pole???

also... GO AUDI!!!!
Im a sarcastic perverted tourist robbing Australian convict

"I want to grab Nick Fry and beat 3 shades of *BEEP* out of him
and have him rotating slowly over a spit!"
Jack O Malley

Post by Jack O Malley »

StoneColdSpider wrote:who drove the car to get pole???

Sarrazin
Sorry guys, I had a little outing.
StoneColdSpider

i didnt think it was going to b Bourdais.... :D

Yannick

Post by Yannick »

Apparently, Narain Karthikeyan is not in the race and his two co-drivers will have to do the job without him, since he was declared unfit to drive, after he had dislocated his shoulder in a jump over the pit wall that didn't go as planned just shortly before the start of the race.

And Peugeot are looking good.
"I don't think we should be used to finance (the manufacturers') R&D because they will produce that engine anyway" said Monisha Kaltenborn.
"You will never see a Mercedes using a Ferrari engine or the other way round."
Alianora La Canta

Post by Alianora La Canta »

And there I was thinking Franck Montagny breaking a leg standing on a football the week before Le Mans was a badly-timed injury... ...Poor Narain must be really unhappy :( .
CarlosFerreira

Post by CarlosFerreira »

The race is, as far as I can tell from the commentary on Autosport, truly and utterly decided for the Pugs, the question is if the team is going to play a hand at trying to make the all-French car win. We'll see. From what I gather, Wurz is doing a superb drive - Frank Williams is probably going to replace Nakajima with him again, any time soon.

I have to say, much as I have sympathy for Audi, it's good to see Peugeot win this time around. Also, good effort on the Astons, they're running a very respectable race - I never thought they'd survive the night.
Stay home, Colin Kolles!
StoneColdSpider

at least Ferrari are leading the GT2 class...
GO FERRARI!!!!

Henrique

Post by Henrique »

RAK wrote:I guess that it's the only time this year Bourdais is going to score a pole position.

And the only time he gets a podium finish :mrgreen:
Congratz to F1 reject David Brabham for the win.
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Henrique wrote:
RAK wrote:I guess that it's the only time this year Bourdais is going to score a pole position.

And the only time he gets a podium finish :mrgreen:
Congratz to F1 reject David Brabham for the win.

It's Bourdais's 2nd podium this year. Sebring 12 Hours...? Mentioned it earlier above?
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
Henrique

Post by Henrique »

dr-baker wrote:It's Bourdais's 2nd podium this year. Sebring 12 Hours...? Mentioned it earlier above?

Oops, sorry. He has a future at these races then.
RejectSteve

Post by RejectSteve »

GinShaiman wrote:and lets not forget Jan Magnussen and Marco Apicella.

Apicella had a rejectworthy Le Mans appearance as he never got in the JLOC Lamborghini Murcielago RGT. Not really a surprise considering the car broke down during practice, qualifying, and on the opening lap of the race never to be seen again. One of the Radio Le Mans presenters suggested it was an entry just to get the car on track to sell it at a higher price with Le Mans pedigree. JLOC, the Japanese Lamborghini Owners' Club, had an entry two years ago which crashed in practice but the ACO allowed them to bring in a spare car which also failed on the opening lap. The Life of Le Mans?
Nissanymania! Friday has never been the same since.

The car in front is a Stefan.
StoneColdSpider

since Bourdais didnt drive to car to get pole..... he didnt really get pole did he ;)

Ross Prawn

Post by Ross Prawn »

Did you notice Bourdais sulking on the podium, because he didn't manage to win.

I'll bet he's great company at the post-race Peugeot party.
"Other than the car behind and the driver who might get a bit startled with the sudden explosion in front, it really isn't a major safety issue from that point of view,"
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Henrique wrote:
dr-baker wrote:It's Bourdais's 2nd podium this year. Sebring 12 Hours...? Mentioned it earlier above?

No problem. But sportscar racing, particularly Le Mans, always seems to be an area of success for F1 drivers, rejects or not. After all, only 6 F1 Rejects in the top two cars at the race this year. :roll: At least if Bourdais doesn't continue in F1 next year, and doesn't return to the USA, he'll have a future somewhere.
MCard LOLA
Bleu

Post by Bleu »

On quick count I found 24 drivers who have participated in F1 race.

15 of them are rejects: Bourdais (at least to date), Albers, Apicella, Beretta, Bruni, Brabham, Davidson, Enge, Lamy, Magnussen. McNish, Montagny, Noda, Sarrazin and van de Poele.

9 non-rejects: Boullion, Gene, Karthikeyan, Klien, Monteiro, Panis, Salo, Verstappen, Wurz
(only one race winner though)

4 official test drivers or Friday testers: Bobbi, Collard, Jani, Mondini

Honorary mentions for Fässler and Gavin who have driven safety car. Gavin in 1997-99 and Fässler substituted Mayländer in one race.
deCrasheris

Post by deCrasheris »

RejectSteve wrote:

Apicella had a rejectworthy Le Mans appearance as he never got in the JLOC Lamborghini Murcielago RGT. Not really a surprise considering the car broke down during practice, qualifying, and on the opening lap of the race never to be seen again. One of the Radio Le Mans presenters suggested it was an entry just to get the car on track to sell it at a higher price with Le Mans pedigree. JLOC, the Japanese Lamborghini Owners' Club, had an entry two years ago which crashed in practice but the ACO allowed them to bring in a spare car which also failed on the opening lap. The Life of Le Mans?

The 2007 and 2009 24 hours of Le Mans sounded like Apricella's F1 career :lol:
RIP Dan Wheldon 1978-2011
Jack O Malley

Post by Jack O Malley »

deCrasheris wrote:
RejectSteve wrote:

The 2007 and 2009 24 hours of Le Mans sounded like Apricella's F1 career :lol:

Yep, I lolled hard at seeing Apicella's car out on 1st lap... sorry for the schadenfreude!! :oops:

Congrats to Wurz (winner again, after 13 yrs!) David Brabham (unforgettable Simtek stalwart) and Gené (very talented driver but imho eligible for "lucky bastard" award)!!! :D :D And congrats to the 2nd-classified "all-reject-team".
Sorry guys, I had a little outing.
watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

dr-baker wrote:
Henrique wrote:

No problem. But sportscar racing, particularly Le Mans, always seems to be an area of success for F1 drivers, rejects or not. After all, only 6 F1 Rejects in the top two cars at the race this year. :roll: At least if Bourdais doesn't continue in F1 next year, and doesn't return to the USA, he'll have a future somewhere.

Always a chance he'll be at USF1.
Watka - you know, the swimming horses guy
RAK

Post by RAK »

RejectSteve wrote:

I believe there's usually a car in Le Mans which has to retire hilariously early. In 2000, a Chrysler-powered Oreca entry in the LMP900 class retired on the second lap; in 1990, a Nissan R90CK retired on the first lap; in 1986, there were two retirements on the first lap; in 1977, a Renault Alpine A442 retired on the first lap; in 1973, a BMW 3.0 CSL retired on the second lap; in 1972, a Matra-Simca MS670 retired on the second lap, and in 1970, three cars retired within the first two laps - but maybe that last one isn't funny at all, because it led to the death of John Woolfe in his privately-owned Porsche 917.

What makes some of these especially hilarious is the fact that even the 1923 24 Hours of Le Mans had its last-ranked car complete 14 laps, in an era when even the fastest car only completed 128 laps. Of course, nearly every car managed to complete that race as well.
Predicament Predictions Champion, 2011, 2018, 2019

They weren't the world's most competent team,
In fact, to be believed, their results must be seen,
Lola,
M-Mastercard Lola,
L, O, L, A, Lola!
Cynon

Post by Cynon »

Ross Prawn wrote:Did you notice Bourdais sulking on the podium, because he didn't manage to win.

I believe he's actually from Le Mans, and I think he may have been irked that the #8 Peugeot was in line to take the win but had a long long pit stop.
Check out the TM Master Cup Series on Youtube...
...or check out my random retro IndyCar clips.

Dr. Helmut Marko wrote: Finally we have an Australian in the team who can start a race well and challenge Vettel.
Ross Prawn

Post by Ross Prawn »

Cynon wrote:
Ross Prawn wrote:Did you notice Bourdais sulking on the podium, because he didn't manage to win.

I believe he's actually from Le Mans, and I think he may have been irked that the #8 Peugeot was in line to take the win but had a long long pit stop.

Yep, he is from Le Mans, so it would have been a great story if he had won.

And Peugeot would have loved it, an all French team with a local boy winning at Le Mans. I don't think there is any suggestion that Bourdais' car was held back, it was just the way the race panned out.

I saw an interview with Sarrazin & Montagny on Eurosport just before the end of the race. Obviously they would have liked to win but they were really up for the Peugeot team victory. Bourdais seemed much less so.