Hypothetical question - consequences of no regulations?

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
Porrima

Hypothetical question - consequences of no regulations?

Post by Porrima »

Once upon a midnight dreary, while I pondered weak and weary,
Over many a quaint and curious volume of forgotten F1 lore,
I thought about F1 and the many regulations which ban every innovation made each season for the next, make engines smaller, cars slower (though they still get faster) and wings more ugly. Now, I, rationally, absolutely understand why there is a need for regulations, but if you have time, it would interest me a lot to hear the speculations of you, infinitely more knowledgeable than me in how F1 actually works, (I just watch races) what might happen if there were almost no regulations made to the cars at all?

Specifically, what would happen in a) a few years b) in a decade or so? How would the cars be? How would racing be?

Obviously, this wouldn't work in real life, so let us assume, that regardless of what the designers could do, there would always be money available to everyone, no group would ban racing for any reason, and spectators would always be interested, regardless of what the races would be like.

I said "almost" no regulations - I believe there has to be SOME ground rules set up first, or this will be a too absurd and open-ended question to ponder about - thusly, I set up these rules that must be followed:
1.) The car has to have a combustion engine that is at least somewhat similar to a "car engine". IE you can't place a jet engine, bussard ramjet, or warp drive into your car.
2.) I realize this is hopelessly unclear as a rule, but no matter how the car changes, it has be recognizable to a casual fan (who watches races but nothing more, say) as a "formula one car" that they will identify as such. So no dragster car lookalikes, flying saucers or hypercubes.
3.) The car still has to be driven by a living person. No robotic cars, AIs, autopilots or intelligent bacteria drivers.
4.) While safety and security is not an issue as such, you cannot make any modifications that obviously are dangerous to the racers.
IE you can't, for example, insert a system that will, upon entering the final straight, lock steering wheels and gas pedal and eject the driver to stratosphere to save weight and thus increase speed.

With thanks, I would like to hear your ideas on the matter.
Klon
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Hypothetical question - consequences of no regulations?

Post by Klon »

Porrima wrote:Once upon a midnight dreary, while I pondered weak and weary,
Over many a quaint and curious volume of forgotten F1 lore

Poe would turn in his grave for that one.
But on the topic itself: the problem is, these rules are way to bendable (especially in terms of secruity) and we couldn't count the F1 related deaths anymore, because where begins "obviously" dangerous. Are these strange side mirrors from 98 obviously dangerous? The principle is nice, F1 should have way more technical freedom (kept under control with a strictly controled 50 Million dollar budget cap (if Ferrari doesn't like it because their coffee team already costs about 40, they could go to F1 hell for all I care)) but the secruity of drivers must be made sure of at virtually any cost that doesn't impend the sport itself.
Captain Hammer

Post by Captain Hammer »

If there are no regulations, all you're going to do is trigger another manufacturer arms race as they pour more and more money into developing the cars because they know they can spend ten million dollars and find a tenth of a second. If that is a justifable expense to one team, then all teams will be forced to do it simply to stay competitive. Costs will increase exponentially, the smaller teams will wither and die as they cannot keep up, and in the end the sport will become bloated and unrecogniseable before collapsing in on itself.
mario wrote:I'm wondering what the hell has been going on in this thread [...] it's turned into a bizarre detour into mythical flying horses and the sort of search engine results that CoopsII is going to have a very hard time explaining ...
Porrima

Post by Porrima »

Cap: Well, that indeed wouldn't work in real life. This is why I set up the fantasy prerequisite that money isn't an object in there. Assume aliens bring gold to everyone each sunday morning after services.
Also, what I meant with my security example was merely that you could take "gloves off" from the design standpoint, without having to think whether adding these kind of wings make it more unsafe, but that you couldn't do anything so absurd as a device that was guaranteed to kill your drivers or something. This is of course because this is a hypothetical question and has no relevance to what I feel should or should not be done for driver safety in real life.

The point of the question was to hear your opinions into what sort of directions you would think designers would bring their cars if almost everything was allowed and there was money to do it.

If you feel this question is too stupid to discuss about, I apologize and withdraw to my shame.
CarlosFerreira

Post by CarlosFerreira »

I suppose we'd have cars capable of 500mph and 7 or 8 g in some 10 years time, if fuels and tyres weren't tightly regulated and providing there was enough competition. Material sciences-wise, we'd probably have the return of beryllium and other rare metals quick enough, and one of these days someone would come up with a ceramic-plastic-scrap paper composite that weighed close to nothing and was stronger than a mother in law.

Less seriously - and because I am into the whole cyberpunk genre - how about neural connections between the car and the driver? Hot wire the drivers to the controls. Imagine the sort of hacking. :shock:
Stay home, Colin Kolles!
Cynon

Post by Cynon »

CarlosFerreira wrote:Less seriously - and because I am into the whole cyberpunk genre - how about neural connections between the car and the driver? Hot wire the drivers to the controls. Imagine the sort of hacking. :shock:

Am I the only one that started humming the themesong from Deus Ex? Because that's exactly what I'm thinking...

"...AND JC DENTON ENTERS THE PITLANE IN THE APOSTLECORP CAR AS WALTON SIMONS TAKES THE LEAD!" [/MurrayWalker]
Check out the TM Master Cup Series on Youtube...
...or check out my random retro IndyCar clips.

Dr. Helmut Marko wrote: Finally we have an Australian in the team who can start a race well and challenge Vettel.
tkcom

Post by tkcom »

Upon reading this thread, Cyber Formula suddenly came to mind. The booster on those cars made KERS look like seat warmer.
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

That.
Novitopoli wrote:Everytime someone orders at Pizza Hut, an Italian dies.
Novitopoli wrote:Juve's Triplete: Calciopoli, doping & Mafia connections.

Image Image
mario

Post by mario »

The problem is, if you did have a series where the rules were completely stripped away, you would soon end up in a situation where the cars would be virtually, if not totally, undriveable by any human being - the cornering forces would probably cause you to black out (as happened towards the end of the Ground Effect era, and there were cases of drivers suffering from "G-lock", or blacking out after exposure to repeated high G-forces in the CART series when they went to oval tracks), and the cars would probably be blisteringly fast.

After all, what people seem to forget is that there is someone inside of that cockpit who is still entirely mortal, and has their limits. Part of the reason that the cars were being slowed down after 2004 was down to the fact that the drivers were seriously worried, and were complaining to the FIA (via the Grand Prix Drivers Association) that the cars were becoming too difficult to drive - with Schumacher leading the charge to slow the cars down, as the 2004 Ferrari was getting to the point where he was beginning to become the limiting factor, because he couldn't always keep up with the car (i.e. he simply couldn't react, or even think fast enough, to always keep up with the car - and he wasn't the only one).

So, on that side, what would probably happen is the drivers would effectively become the limiting factors, because we would reach the point where the driver would be unable to corner faster, otherwise they'd black out, or would be unable to correct the car quickly enough should he make even the smallest of errors. You'd also find that the risk factor would become so high that the series would probably be banned fairly shortly afterwards - at the very least, you'd find that the number of tracks where you could race safely would be vanishingly small (after all, you've only considered the driver, but what about the marshalls and spectators? Take this crash at the Seat Eurocup Brands Hatch round http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GKtUoxx7 ... r_embedded as a very graphic illustration of the sorts of risks that they have to take).

As for the technical direction the teams would go in, they'd almost certainly go for Ground Effect cars, because you'd have a far superior drag/downforce ratio, the wheels would end up being covered to reduce drag (open wheel cars may be nimble, but those open wheels generate a huge amount of drag), you'd end up with turbo engines (because the power to weight ratio of a turbo engine is higher compared to a normally aspirated engine) - basically, take a 1982 Ground Effect F1 car with covered wheels, the power levels of the 1985/86 seasons, and imagine what would happen if you gave it to a group of material scientists who had every ultra exotic material at their disposal, and that is probably what you'd end up with.
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
Cynon

Post by Cynon »

mario wrote:The problem is, if you did have a series where the rules were completely stripped away, you would soon end up in a situation where the cars would be virtually, if not totally, undriveable by any human being - the cornering forces would probably cause you to black out (as happened towards the end of the Ground Effect era, and there were cases of drivers suffering from "G-lock", or blacking out after exposure to repeated high G-forces in the CART series when they went to oval tracks), and the cars would probably be blisteringly fast.

I should add that the reason the Indy Racing League did not go to Darlington, regarded as the ultimate driver's oval/Spa-if-it-was-an-oval-track in NASCAR circles (ha ha ha, funny...) because the cars would pull almost 6 or 7 Gs in turn three...

mario wrote:As for the technical direction the teams would go in, they'd almost certainly go for Ground Effect cars, because you'd have a far superior drag/downforce ratio, the wheels would end up being covered to reduce drag (open wheel cars may be nimble, but those open wheels generate a huge amount of drag), you'd end up with turbo engines (because the power to weight ratio of a turbo engine is higher compared to a normally aspirated engine) - basically, take a 1982 Ground Effect F1 car with covered wheels, the power levels of the 1985/86 seasons, and imagine what would happen if you gave it to a group of material scientists who had every ultra exotic material at their disposal, and that is probably what you'd end up with.

So you're basically saying that if F1 teams would have their choice, they would all be driving demonized P1 cars?

Check out the TM Master Cup Series on Youtube...
...or check out my random retro IndyCar clips.

Dr. Helmut Marko wrote: Finally we have an Australian in the team who can start a race well and challenge Vettel.
mario

Post by mario »

They probably would not be far off a LMP1 car in that respect - however, what they might end up closer to would be the end of series Can-Am cars, where a number of the later cars were essentially Lola F5000 cars with modified bodywork to cover the wheels.
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
Row Man Gross-Gene

Post by Row Man Gross-Gene »

Apologies to Porrima, if this is considered a threadjack, but if the result of no regulation would be the eventual collapse of F1, then let's limit the question a bit.

If you could could eliminate just one rule or regulation in F1, what would it be? Why? What would the effect be in your opinion?

Or conversely, what one regulation would you add? etc.
It's just unbelievable...that Formula 1 could be such a ridiculous melange of idiots.

-Jamie McGregor

Check out my colo(u)ring pages website: http://sites.google.com/site/carcoloringpages/
McDuck

Post by McDuck »

I'm all for it. The free market (aka the teams, drivers, sponsors, track owners and spectators) would determine what limits (if any) would be appropriate for the series.

Lets get the ball rolling on this ASAP.
The USA is three meals away from chaos.
coops

Post by coops »

The now sadly defunct F1 News did an article about just such a question in the mid nineties. Some techno boffins came up with a design that had 6 wheels and was capable of 300 mph. That was the top speed they thought they could make it go and still have the driver survive the majority of accidents. The only downside was that all the tracks in the world would have to be redesigned to double the run-off area distances which would make the spectators even further away than they are now. You also couldnt have a Monaco GP.
Last edited by coops on 25 Jul 2010, 10:46, edited 1 time in total.
"Aerodynamics is for those who cannot manufacture good engines."
-Enzo Ferrari
IdeFan

Post by IdeFan »

Don't forget super advanced Traction Control, CVT Gearboxes, Antilock Brakes, Active Suspension, and Stability Control to make these ground effect turbo monsters controllable.

Basically take the gizmos from the 93 Williams and drop it in an 82 ground effect turbo and add at least 20 years development time!
"Well we've got this ridiculous situation where we're all sitting by the start-finish line waiting for a winner to come past and we don't seem to be getting one!" - James Hunt, Monaco 1982
Enforcer
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Enforcer »

I'd think you'd reach the point where either:

1) Even with electronic gismos, the drivers wouldn't be able to react fast enough to drive the car to its limits without crashing a lot.

2) They'd be pulling so much G that an average driver's neck would last about 4 seasons before they had to retire... and permanently wear a neckbrace.
eagleash

Post by eagleash »

Add in all wheel drive, (4 or 6), auto trans, G-suits for the drivers a-la fighter pilots.

One interesting point which unless I've misssed something, hasn't been mentioned. What is likely to be the optimum engine size? Increased capacity is not necessarily the answer & after a while engine dimension (as against capacity) must come into it & some "natural" restriction on the amount of fuel which can be carried.
DemocalypseNow wrote: when eagleash of all people says you've gone too far about something you just know that's when to apply the brakes and do a U-turn.
TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

eagleash wrote:One interesting point which unless I've misssed something, hasn't been mentioned. What is likely to be the optimum engine size? Increased capacity is not necessarily the answer & after a while engine dimension (as against capacity) must come into it & some "natural" restriction on the amount of fuel which can be carried.

I'ld say it'll probably settle in either a 3.5l naturally aspirated V10 or a much smaller capacity turbocharged V8... then again take what I just said with a grain of salt because I don't really know all that much :lol:
Biscione wrote:"Some Turkemenistani gulag repurposed for residential use" is the best way yet I've heard to describe North / East Glasgow.
RejectSteve

Post by RejectSteve »

eagleash wrote:One interesting point which unless I've misssed something, hasn't been mentioned. What is likely to be the optimum engine size? Increased capacity is not necessarily the answer & after a while engine dimension (as against capacity) must come into it & some "natural" restriction on the amount of fuel which can be carried.

A big, bulky engine not only would have to refuel more often or carry a heavier fuel load but even in qualifying the massive weight at the back would make it a demon to drive as well. Just ask Bertrand Gachot and Carlo Chiti about it. Presumably you could add more weight to the front of the car by various means but if you have too much weight up front, it will be sluggish to steer but without the snap oversteer.

I think what it could do is give us what the British Saloon Car Championship of the 60's and 70's had, a David vs. Goliath battle between large capacity engines running a higher weight against cars which are enormously underpowered but maximising their weight. More likely, I think we'd see the petrol engines meeting somewhere in the 3- to 4-liter range, maximising power and a reasonably light weight. However, with Porrima's first regulation requiring a "car engine," I think Diesel would be the way to go - just look at the torque advantage in LMP1 - but again, that's an increased weight over a standard petrol engine so maybe a manufacturer would go down the big turbo/small capacity route to reduce the weight and we'd get 1.5 liter engines.

(I wrote this when Wizzie posted his, but I can't be bothered to integrate what he said about 3.5l V10's.
Nissanymania! Friday has never been the same since.

The car in front is a Stefan.
Enforcer
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Enforcer »

I reckon turbocharged rotary engines would become popular (MazdaSpeed would make a killing), since they have an astronomical power to weight/size ratio. Although they do use an astronomical amount of petrol.

No regs means you could just run the engine to death every weekend and replace it.
eagleash

Post by eagleash »

It was my instinctive thought that 3.5 litre up to possibly 5 litre might be optimum size. Then I thought "Veyron" 8 litre W16, bit on the bulky side but it does nip along fairly smartly.

@Enforcer rotary; yes good, bit less thirsty recently but still a problem.
DemocalypseNow wrote: when eagleash of all people says you've gone too far about something you just know that's when to apply the brakes and do a U-turn.
Enforcer
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Enforcer »

eagleash wrote:@Enforcer rotary; yes good, bit less thirsty recently but still a problem.

Well, I reckon the FIA has them banned from WRC, F1, and top level Sportscar racing for a reason.
eagleash

Post by eagleash »

Enforcer wrote:
eagleash wrote:@Enforcer rotary; yes good, bit less thirsty recently but still a problem.

Well, I reckon the FIA has them banned from WRC, F1, and top level Sportscar racing for a reason.

Indeed!
RejectSteve

Post by RejectSteve »

They also need far more cooling than a piston engine so the size of your sidepods would create an exorbitant amount of drag.
Nissanymania! Friday has never been the same since.

The car in front is a Stefan.
DonTirri
Location: Herttoniemi, Helsinki, Finland, Europe, Earth, Sol System, Milky Way.

Post by DonTirri »

mario wrote:
As for the technical direction the teams would go in, they'd almost certainly go for Ground Effect cars, because you'd have a far superior drag/downforce ratio, the wheels would end up being covered to reduce drag (open wheel cars may be nimble, but those open wheels generate a huge amount of drag), you'd end up with turbo engines (because the power to weight ratio of a turbo engine is higher compared to a normally aspirated engine) - basically, take a 1982 Ground Effect F1 car with covered wheels, the power levels of the 1985/86 seasons, and imagine what would happen if you gave it to a group of material scientists who had every ultra exotic material at their disposal, and that is probably what you'd end up with.

So you'd basically get a Group C car tuned for Sprint races instead of endurance?
I got Pointed Opinions and I ain't afraid to use em!
F1rejects no.1Räikkönen and Vettel fan.
BTW, thats Räikkönen with two K's and two N's. Not Raikonnen (Raikkonen is fine if you have no umlauts though)
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

coops wrote:The now sadly defunct F1 News did an article about just such a question in the mid nineties. Some techno boffins came up with a design that had 6 wheels and was capable of 300 mph. That was the top speed they thought they could make it go and still have the driver survive the majority of accidents. The only downside was that all the tracks in the world would have to be redesigned to double the run-off area distances which would make the spectators even further away than they are now. You also couldnt have a Monaco GP.

I seem to remember this also appearing in F1 Racing/F1 Magazine between September 2003 & June 2004 (I remember it was while I was living in France...) and Williams were the ones given free rein. And it looked rather similar to cars from the '70s and '80s - ground effects, turbos, 2 front wheels, 4 rear wheels, 1 steering wheel, etc...
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
CarlosFerreira

Post by CarlosFerreira »

DonTirri wrote:
mario wrote:

So you'd basically get a Group C car tuned for Sprint races instead of endurance?

With laser cannons. :D
Stay home, Colin Kolles!
Frentzen127

Post by Frentzen127 »

And heat-seeking missiles and epic crashes.
DEPORTIVO CA... pfft hahaha can't say that with a straight face!
Misses Minardi dearly. :(
CarlosFerreira

Post by CarlosFerreira »

Put it this way: drivers would be wearing g-suits in 5 years' time.
Stay home, Colin Kolles!
coops

Post by coops »

CarlosFerreira wrote:With laser cannons. :D

Too heavy.
"Aerodynamics is for those who cannot manufacture good engines."
-Enzo Ferrari
CarlosFerreira

Post by CarlosFerreira »

coops wrote:
CarlosFerreira wrote:With laser cannons. :D

Too heavy.

All right... fancy and light laser cannons, then. ;)
Stay home, Colin Kolles!
RFT

Post by RFT »

A good benchmark for the "lets go totally nuts on aero" thought experiment is to look at the early 90s - IMSA GTP and last throes of the World Sportscar championship:
the (not very successful due to woeful reliability) allard J2X is possibly the most extreme:
http://www.dieselstation.com/forums/lof ... 16683.html

Those cars were making much more downforce than their contemporary F1 cars - though were slower over a lapdue to higher weight and harder tyres.