Formula Two

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
Henrique

Formula Two

Post by Henrique »

No F1 this weekend, but we'll see the start of the new Formula Two season. Formula Two is a low-cost version of GP2 and is supposed to give young drivers a chance to join F1.
The cars are designed by Williams and feature Audi engines. The championship features eight events and each event will have two races, with a mandatory pit stop on the second race. The champion will win a test with Williams and all the top three drivers will qualify for a superlicence.
Some notable drivers on the list:

Alex Brundle - Martin Brundle's son.
Armaan Ebrahim - the next Karthikeyan? Force India's big hope?
Henry Surtees - son of the great John Surtees, the only man who was champion in both two wheels and four wheels.
Natacha Gachnang - intends to become the first female driver to reach F1 in nearly two decades. Might be the next Amati, but she's probably closer to F1 than Danica Patrick.

Do you think this series will have some success? How many drivers may reach F1? Will we see more world champions or more rejects coming out of this?

An interesting fact: Formula Two was the highest level of racing Max Mosley reached as a driver, where his best result was an 8th place at Monza, in a non-championship race.
RejectSteve

Re: Formula Two

Post by RejectSteve »

Gachnang is also the cousin of Toro Rosso's Sebastien Buemi. She showed potential in Star Mazda and Spanish F3 but in the funnel to the top, she's been a little disappointing in the F2 tests. Another name worth mention is Jolyon Palmer, Dr. Jonathan's son, who has shown some skill. Dr. Palmer's MotorsportVision venture is running all the cars.

Because this series has FIA backing, though it still hasn't shown up on the FIA Championships website, it will survive for a few years at least. The absolute minimum of budgets will help, but I can't see anybody going straight from F2 to F1. GP2 is still the category you need to pass through to get into grands prix, though lots of budget can help.

Looking at the current F2 field, I can't say wether we have champions or rejects, especially as rejectdom is mostly down to luck these days with superior reliability and the emphasis on any pay driver to have buckets of talent before getting a race seat. I can't help but feel that not all of these drivers are of the level. There are quite a few British drivers are in the field, which is fine since the "F1 sons" seem to be on the pace. However, some of these drivers haven't been convincing in other championships. Its good to see some of these countries have a driver is a higher level series, like Lithuania, but Kazim Vasiliauskas has done very little in Italian Formula Renault 2.0. Andy Soucek has spent years in GP2 with limited success, I don't see this being a step forward for him. He might want to stick with Superleague Formula and start considering LMP entries.
Nissanymania! Friday has never been the same since.

The car in front is a Stefan.
Fitch

Post by Fitch »

An interesting fact: Formula Two was the highest level of racing Max Mosley reached as a driver, where his best result was an 8th place at Monza, in a non-championship race.

Driving for Frank Williams (Racing Cars) Ltd. no less..............
Rentragmuab Tlosz!!!!!
Faustus
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Faustus »

I watched one of the races on Eurosport, I think it was the first one of the two. Not bad at all, but I just can't get excited about another one-make series. Perhaps I should explain, I hate one-make series. I've worked on Formula Renault and GP2 cars and all I could think about was making structural changes to the cars. I've never liked one-make series. Being restricted to set-up changes is irritating and not being allowed to carry out further engineering is incredibly frustrating for an engineer. Now Formula 3000, pre-1996, now that was a racing series! Formula 3 is pretty cool to work on, as well.
Following Formula 1 since 1984.
Avid collector of Formula 1 season guides and reviews.
Collector of reject merchandise and 1/43rd scale reject model cars.
RejectSteve

Post by RejectSteve »

Faustus wrote:I watched one of the races on Eurosport, I think it was the first one of the two. Not bad at all, but I just can't get excited about another one-make series.
I caught the second race and it was entertaining motorsport, but I'll agree with you that there are far too many one-make series. Formula 2 took it a step further that there are no teams, the championship, run by Dr. Jonathan Palmer's MotorsportVision, operates and engineers all the cars.
RejectSteve wrote:Its good to see some of these countries have a driver is a higher level series, like Lithuania, but Kazim Vasiliauskas has done very little in Italian Formula Renault 2.0.
Well I was wrong about Vasiliauskas, he proved to be one of the quicker drivers though Robert Wickens looks to be the class of the series.
Nissanymania! Friday has never been the same since.

The car in front is a Stefan.
DonTirri
Location: Herttoniemi, Helsinki, Finland, Europe, Earth, Sol System, Milky Way.

Post by DonTirri »

Faustus wrote:I watched one of the races on Eurosport, I think it was the first one of the two. Not bad at all, but I just can't get excited about another one-make series. Perhaps I should explain, I hate one-make series. I've worked on Formula Renault and GP2 cars and all I could think about was making structural changes to the cars. I've never liked one-make series. Being restricted to set-up changes is irritating and not being allowed to carry out further engineering is incredibly frustrating for an engineer. Now Formula 3000, pre-1996, now that was a racing series! Formula 3 is pretty cool to work on, as well.

I agree with you yet I don't agree with you.

One-make series are just bad, as the top-level series (hi indycar)

but as a feeder series its the most logical thing to do. Because what better way to prove your worth as a driver than beating everyone else without any other advantage than your skill.
I got Pointed Opinions and I ain't afraid to use em!
F1rejects no.1Räikkönen and Vettel fan.
BTW, thats Räikkönen with two K's and two N's. Not Raikonnen (Raikkonen is fine if you have no umlauts though)
Faustus
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Faustus »

DonTirri wrote:
Faustus wrote:I watched one of the races on Eurosport, I think it was the first one of the two. Not bad at all, but I just can't get excited about another one-make series. Perhaps I should explain, I hate one-make series. I've worked on Formula Renault and GP2 cars and all I could think about was making structural changes to the cars. I've never liked one-make series. Being restricted to set-up changes is irritating and not being allowed to carry out further engineering is incredibly frustrating for an engineer. Now Formula 3000, pre-1996, now that was a racing series! Formula 3 is pretty cool to work on, as well.

I agree with you yet I don't agree with you.

One-make series are just bad, as the top-level series (hi indycar)

but as a feeder series its the most logical thing to do. Because what better way to prove your worth as a driver than beating everyone else without any other advantage than your skill.

Racing is about much more than just drivers. This series exists SOLELY for the promotion of drivers from lower series to the series above it, whereas some other series exist (or existed) as separate entries. Formula 3000 was it's own championship, that while existing as a staging ground for drivers, also prepared teams, mechanics and engineers for graduation to other series. Same thing with Formula 3.
Faustus
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Faustus »

RejectSteve wrote:
Faustus wrote:I watched one of the races on Eurosport, I think it was the first one of the two. Not bad at all, but I just can't get excited about another one-make series.

RejectSteve wrote:I caught the second race and it was entertaining motorsport, but I'll agree with you that there are far too many one-make series. Formula 2 took it a step further that there are no teams, the championship, run by Dr. Jonathan Palmer's MotorsportVision, operates and engineers all the cars.

The truly staggering and incredible thing is the number of different series that exist between Formula Renault and Formula 1. Absolutely incredible and all of these have half-decent grids and in some cases, full grids of 24-26 cars! All the various national F3 championships, the F3 Euroseries, Renault World Series, GP2, F2, Formula Masters, Superleague, A1GP plus all the other ones that I forgetting right now. If you are a driver with a good budget, the choice is endless. And that doesn't include all the other series in the States and Asia.
The career path for a driver, engineer and mechanic, or team for that matter, is no longer clear in any way. There are so many different ways to reach the top, that it becomes completely incomprehensible or the average viewer.
Loads of different ways to the top, but if this year is anything to go by, none of them particularly viable, as evidenced by the presence of one rookie driver in Formula 1.
crazydude1992

Post by crazydude1992 »

Kazim, my country man, might become Lithuanias one and only F1 Reject! :mrgreen:
Artificial intelligence is no match for F1 rejectdom.
thehemogoblin

Post by thehemogoblin »

Faustus wrote:
RejectSteve wrote:

RejectSteve wrote:I caught the second race and it was entertaining motorsport, but I'll agree with you that there are far too many one-make series. Formula 2 took it a step further that there are no teams, the championship, run by Dr. Jonathan Palmer's MotorsportVision, operates and engineers all the cars.

The truly staggering and incredible thing is the number of different series that exist between Formula Renault and Formula 1. Absolutely incredible and all of these have half-decent grids and in some cases, full grids of 24-26 cars! All the various national F3 championships, the F3 Euroseries, Renault World Series, GP2, F2, Formula Masters, Superleague, A1GP plus all the other ones that I forgetting right now. If you are a driver with a good budget, the choice is endless. And that doesn't include all the other series in the States and Asia.
The career path for a driver, engineer and mechanic, or team for that matter, is no longer clear in any way. There are so many different ways to reach the top, that it becomes completely incomprehensible or the average viewer.
Loads of different ways to the top, but if this year is anything to go by, none of them particularly viable, as evidenced by the presence of one rookie driver in Formula 1.

I beg to differ... there is one clear career path:

Money.
Henrique

Post by Henrique »

Robert Wickens is a Red Bull Junior and he won the first two races. We may be looking at a next year's Red Bull/STR driver.
Watch out, Bourdais :twisted:
tristan1117
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by tristan1117 »

Henrique wrote:Robert Wickens is a Red Bull Junior and he won the first two races. We may be looking at a next year's Red Bull/STR driver.

But he has to change his name to Sebastian first.
CoopsII wrote:On occasion I have ventured into the PMM forum but beat a hasty retreat soon after as it resembles some sort of bad acid trip in there
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

tristan1117 wrote:
Henrique wrote:Robert Wickens is a Red Bull Junior and he won the first two races. We may be looking at a next year's Red Bull/STR driver.

I'm surprised nobody has referred to Vettel's teammate at Sebastien Webber yet...
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
Faustus
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Faustus »

[/quote]

Loads of different ways to the top, but if this year is anything to go by, none of them particularly viable, as evidenced by the presence of one rookie driver in Formula 1.[/quote]

I beg to differ... there is one clear career path:

Money.[/quote]

Absolutely right!
Fitch

Post by Fitch »

dr-baker wrote:
tristan1117 wrote:

I'm surprised nobody has referred to Vettel's teammate at Sebastien Webber yet...

Thought has crosses my mind of referring to him as such in an E-nail to the guys...but I've not been able to watch the last 2 race so I've had no real reason to e-mail them.........

I do call STR, Sebastien Toro Rosso though
Rentragmuab Tlosz!!!!!
Waris

Post by Waris »

crazydude1992 wrote:Kazim, my country man, might become Lithuanias one and only F1 Reject! :mrgreen:

I've always wondered how a Lithuanian could get the first name 'Kazim'... :lol:
MOTOR RACING IS DANGEROUS