Toyota Has No Intention of Returning to F1

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
Cynon

Toyota Has No Intention of Returning to F1

Post by Cynon »

Link

As far as the whole "F1 is too elitist" image crap... well, I'd say he's just Captain Obvious.

But perhaps he forgets to mention that Toyotas in other forms of motorsport actually do things other than piss victories away and actually contribute more to Toyota's image by actually winning. In NASCAR the top Toyota team, Joe Gibbs Racing, is basically the McLaren of NASCAR...
Check out the TM Master Cup Series on Youtube...
...or check out my random retro IndyCar clips.

Dr. Helmut Marko wrote: Finally we have an Australian in the team who can start a race well and challenge Vettel.
Henrique

Re: Toyota Has No Intention of Returning to F1

Post by Henrique »

>implying the 24 Hours of Nurburgring gets more attention than F1.
Klon
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Klon »

Henrique wrote:>implying the 24 Hours of Nurburgring gets more attention than F1.

>implying greentext shouldn't only be used on 4chan.
Klon
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Klon »

Klon wrote:
Henrique wrote:>implying the 24 Hours of Nurburgring gets more attention than F1.

>implying greentext shouldn't only be used on 4chan.

laughinggirls.jpg
Captain Hammer

Post by Captain Hammer »

If Toyota don't want back in, their loss is someone else's chocolatey goodness.
mario wrote:I'm wondering what the hell has been going on in this thread [...] it's turned into a bizarre detour into mythical flying horses and the sort of search engine results that CoopsII is going to have a very hard time explaining ...
coops

Post by coops »

Well thank HWNSNBM for that.

Losers.
"Aerodynamics is for those who cannot manufacture good engines."
-Enzo Ferrari
Jordan192

Post by Jordan192 »

Toyota were in F1?
I coined the term "Lewisteria". The irony is that I actually quite like Lewis Hamilton.
Phoenix

Post by Phoenix »

These guys are unbelievable. 7 years in F1 being one of the teams that spent most on it and now that they've withdrawn they come saying F1 is too elitist. In my opinion, this is only a knee-jerk reaction to the fact they're stung because of his poor results and the fact F1 was not as easy as they wanted. Oh, and by the way, making F1 less elitist won't help them get better results, just in case they thought about it.
If they don't want to return to F1, then the better for everyone. They won't be sorely missed.
And F1 is elitist for a reason: it's the pinnacle of motorsport after all.
coops

Post by coops »

Jordan192 wrote:Toyota were in F1?

I laughed out loud when I read that but whats funnier is that, bearing in mind how much they spent, in ten years time some F1 fan will say that and mean it.
-Enzo Ferrari
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

Captain Hammer wrote:If Toyota don't want back in, their loss is someone else's chocolatey goodness.

I'm not sure Peter Sauber would agree with you.
Novitopoli wrote:Everytime someone orders at Pizza Hut, an Italian dies.
Novitopoli wrote:Juve's Triplete: Calciopoli, doping & Mafia connections.

Image Image
Phoenix

Post by Phoenix »

kostas22 wrote:
Captain Hammer wrote:If Toyota don't want back in, their loss is someone else's chocolatey goodness.

Why not?
coops

Post by coops »

Phoenix wrote:
kostas22 wrote:

Why not?

He's allergic to chocolate.
-Enzo Ferrari
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

Since when does anyone care about whether Toyota will return to F1?
I like the way Snrub thinks!
Myrvold

Post by Myrvold »

Just think on how many seasons Minardi could've runned with the amount of money Toyota used on ONE season!
thehemogoblin

Post by thehemogoblin »

coops wrote:
Phoenix wrote:
kostas22 wrote:I'm not sure Peter Sauber would agree with you.

Why not?

He's allergic to chocolate.

That's got to put a damper on being Swiss.
Python

Post by Python »

redbulljack14 wrote:Since when does anyone care about whether Toyota will return to F1?

I do since I was a huge fan of Toyota's F1 program. Since Toyota has no intention of returning I'm not upset, it's their choice and I will support their other endeavors.
Best quote ever
watka wrote:There's only one fair way to settle this: a duel to first blood, using canes, and each of you must be wearing a top hat, waistcoat, and ascot tie.
Phoenix

Post by Phoenix »

Python wrote:
redbulljack14 wrote:Since when does anyone care about whether Toyota will return to F1?

I do since I was a huge fan of Toyota's F1 program. Since Toyota has no intention of returning I'm not upset, it's their choice and I will support their other endeavors.

Wow, I could've never imagined Toyota had supporters (at least until they brought Kobayashi for the last two races last season).
bighaydo

Post by bighaydo »

I noticed that Toyota were saying that other categories allow the fans to walk up and touch the cars... not quite sure what they're talking about there. I always got the impression that no matter the category there would be some technical director that would be quite happy for people not to touch his precious baby. If F1 were like that, could you imagine the espionage?

Totally on the "Were Toyota in F1?" thing... I tend to remember a lot about F1 and I had to think twice to name all of the drivers they've had over the years (Salo, McNish, Panis, da Matta, Trulli, R Schumacher, Glock, Kobayashi). Their driver line up is almost the same as the team itself... not particularly memorable!

(NB. not in a talent sense, but they hardly rocked the F1 boat with their outgoing personalities...)
Phoenix

Post by Phoenix »

Apart from Kobayashi, probably the only memorable thing from Toyota was Half Schumacher's crash in Indy in 2005. Not a good thing...
watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

bighaydo wrote:I noticed that Toyota were saying that other categories allow the fans to walk up and touch the cars... not quite sure what they're talking about there. I always got the impression that no matter the category there would be some technical director that would be quite happy for people not to touch his precious baby. If F1 were like that, could you imagine the espionage?

Totally on the "Were Toyota in F1?" thing... I tend to remember a lot about F1 and I had to think twice to name all of the drivers they've had over the years (Salo, McNish, Panis, da Matta, Trulli, R Schumacher, Glock, Kobayashi). Their driver line up is almost the same as the team itself... not particularly memorable!

(NB. not in a talent sense, but they hardly rocked the F1 boat with their outgoing personalities...)

Don't forget Ricardo Zonta!
Watka - you know, the swimming horses guy
Cynon

Post by Cynon »

Toyota was memorable for being stupid enough to run Ralf and for flushing a lot of money down the toilet for their stupidity.
Check out the TM Master Cup Series on Youtube...
...or check out my random retro IndyCar clips.

Dr. Helmut Marko wrote: Finally we have an Australian in the team who can start a race well and challenge Vettel.
mario

Post by mario »

Phoenix wrote:Apart from Kobayashi, probably the only memorable thing from Toyota was Half Schumacher's crash in Indy in 2005. Not a good thing...

Even so, if you bring up that race, I think that most people would associate that with Michelin instead of Toyota (because ultimately it was a design flaw in the tyre construction itself, instead of anything specific to do with Toyota).

Phoenix wrote:
Python wrote:

Wow, I could've never imagined Toyota had supporters (at least until they brought Kobayashi for the last two races last season).

Somebody's got to be a Toyota supporter (to play on the line that Bill Bryson memorably opened his first book with - "I'm from Des Moines, Iowa. Somebody's got to.")
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
bighaydo

Post by bighaydo »

watka wrote:
bighaydo wrote:I noticed that Toyota were saying that other categories allow the fans to walk up and touch the cars... not quite sure what they're talking about there. I always got the impression that no matter the category there would be some technical director that would be quite happy for people not to touch his precious baby. If F1 were like that, could you imagine the espionage?

Don't forget Ricardo Zonta!

Oops - I forgot about him - thanks for proving my point!! :lol:
mario

Post by mario »

For anybody who is interested, some photographs of a fully assembled TF110 have now emerged, it seems, based on an article in "Racecar Engineering".

Looking at it, it does seem to have quite a few similarities to a few of the recent Williams, with the shape of the nose, whilst the new front wing that Lotus have been using does bear a very strong appearance to the TF110's front wing assembly.

It does look fairly different from the TF109, especially with that front nose assembly. A few more pics here http://f1around.wordpress.com/2010/05/2 ... a-em-2010/ (in Portuguese). Interestingly, there is a hint that this car came with a ride height adjustment system, along the same line of thought as what Red Bull were rumoured to have developed. I'd be very interested to see if anybody could get a hold of a copy of this, because it does sound very intriguing.
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
Phoenix

Post by Phoenix »

Yeah, but it was not one, but both Toyotas who wrecked :lol: They should have treated F1 as a sport and not as a business. Maybe then things would've been different.
And I was being ironical about Toyota supporters. It was just such a boring and unremarkable team you wonder at times if they were really there.
About that TF110, is it a version built by Toyota to test or something like that? I mean, is it original? And why is it wearing wet tyres on dry? The nose reminds me a lot that of the Red Bull RB6.
mario

Post by mario »

Phoenix wrote:Yeah, but it was not one, but both Toyotas who wrecked :lol: They should have treated F1 as a sport and not as a business. Maybe then things would've been different.
And I was being ironical about Toyota supporters. It was just such a boring and unremarkable team you wonder at times if they were really there.
About that TF110, is it a version built by Toyota to test or something like that? I mean, is it original? And why is it wearing wet tyres on dry? The nose reminds me a lot that of the Red Bull RB6.

I would hazard a guess that this was probably built up from the parts that Toyota had built in anticipation of homologating it for 2010, as per the regulations this year, and this probably was intended to be the test mule. As to how original, it is hard to say, since I have not been able to read the article in the magazine which has written the story (as it is a subscription only affair).

As for the wet tyres on a dry day, it is actually pretty common for teams to use an old set of wet tyres on a dry day, often on demonstration runs. Firstly, this is because the softer rubber means that the tyre can come up to temperature more quickly, and if you are only doing a few short runs, a slick tyre would probably still be pretty cold. Secondly, since there is a quite deep tread on the intermediate and wet tyres (relatively speaking), this raises the ride height a bit, which is useful if you are running on a rough surface, like a public road. Finally, since you rarely use inters during the year, you're more likely to have a set of inters lying around then a set of dry tyres, and if all you are doing is wheeling the car around, then it doesn't really matter what tyres you put on it.

[Edit] A quick explanation as to why the car was assembled - it is suggested, according to a blog by Joe Saward, that the TF110 was put together so Howett, the ex-Toyota boss, could drive the car as a sort of final farewell to the company. Unfortunately, it seems that he might have had a little accident in the process, clipping on of the factory walls.
More interesting is his suggestion that the remnants of the team will be offering their services instead as an outside contractor for one of the new teams, rumoured to be the ART GP2 team. http://joesaward.wordpress.com/2010/05/ ... /#comments
Ferrim

Post by Ferrim »

F1 was already very elitist when Toyota decided to enter. They should look for another entry on the Great Excuses Book.
Go home, Bernie Ecclestone!

"There will be no other victory this year, I can tell you, more welcomed than this one" Bob Varsha, 1995 Canadian GP

F1 Rejects Forums – going off-topic since 2009!
Captain Hammer

Post by Captain Hammer »

mario wrote:Image

Hmmm, painted all in red. And that's definatel Nakajima's helmet. Could these be shots of the car when it was controlled by Stefan? He always said the car was going to be painted "Serbian Olympic Red", and the undercoat for the Toyota has always been white.
mario wrote:I'm wondering what the hell has been going on in this thread [...] it's turned into a bizarre detour into mythical flying horses and the sort of search engine results that CoopsII is going to have a very hard time explaining ...