F1 Rejects Track Designing Competition

The place for alternate championships that use real results as a base of forming alternative results, driver careers, and games in general
Aislabie

Re: F1 Rejects Track Designing Competition

Post by Aislabie »

1/ Adrian Belmonte
I love how angular this track is while still retaining considerable flow. You've also worked really well to incorporate elevation change; I can imagine this being a lot of fun to drive.

2/ Uncreative Username
You've kinda created Lime Rock Park. You've also not shown me anything to do with elevation, so I don't have so clear of an idea how this track would race.

3/ Dr Baker
This conforms to all the rules, but not really the spirit of the challenge, which was to slap an original track in the middle of a field. Shame, as it's quite a cool street track.
AdrianBelmonte_

Post by AdrianBelmonte_ »

Awoo!

okay, now i'm going to think of a challenge, i'l come back before christmas evening, i promise
#FoxesFansHooligans

#HaasShouldBeSoLucky
AdrianBelmonte_

Okay, i got something

Take a random oval racetrack and make a road course for it, minimum length 4 kms, maximum 6 kms
#FoxesFansHooligans

#HaasShouldBeSoLucky
Aislabie

Post by Aislabie »

I have taken the original cookie-cutter superspeedway and played with its roval to create this new layout. The additional hairpin and chicane should make overtaking tricky, while the extensive use of the two banked sections should make setups a nightmare.

Hopefully this is original enough that you consider it my own work.
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Aislabie wrote:3/ Dr Baker
This conforms to all the rules, but not really the spirit of the challenge, which was to slap an original track in the middle of a field. Shame, as it's quite a cool street track.

Oooppps. Wish I had understood the criteria a bit more clearly then!
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
Aislabie

Post by Aislabie »

dr-baker wrote:

If anything, I should have explained it better. Assuming that the title alone was enough to make it clear is like assuming that people will judge the book by its cover and not bothering to put any content in the actual book!
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Aislabie wrote:
dr-baker wrote:

If anything, I should have explained it better. Assuming that the title alone was enough to make it clear is like assuming that people will judge the book by its cover and not bothering to put any content in the actual book!

No worries. No hard feelings!
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
AdrianBelmonte_

Given there's only one entry and it's been a week, Aislabie wins this round by default, and that caps off the 2018 season, see y'all next year
#FoxesFansHooligans

#HaasShouldBeSoLucky
Aislabie

Post by Aislabie »

Okay so before we start the 2019 season of this, I feel like we should perhaps talk about declining entries, and what (if anything) we might do to reverse the trend
UncreativeUsername37

Post by UncreativeUsername37 »

Aislabie wrote:Okay so before we start the 2019 season of this, I feel like we should perhaps talk about declining entries, and what (if anything) we might do to reverse the trend

Yeah, I've been thinking about that, but I don't really know what to do... it'd be nice to get comments from people who are interested but not full-time, Bleu for example. So if you're one of those people and reading this, you're encouraged to explain some changes you'd like to see.

The only idea I do have is someone regularly coming up with challenges, as in the new format would be that I (or whoever, but presumably I) bring up a new challenge every couple of weeks and just function as the judge. Since we'd have someone focussed on it, we'd probably get better challenges. The principles things are judged by would also be consistent, although having one person's opinion decide every result rather than a variety may not really be better. And of course I wouldn't get to play, but I wouldn't mind having a pure judging role. If the problem has been that people feel like they'll have a job or responsibility they don't want if they win, that might be a good way to go.

In far less important news, I think it would cool to have flags in the results table. I wouldn't do it automatically since I feel a lack of desire to represent anywhere should be the default assumption, but if you have an account you just put a flag of a region you've lived in by your name, or you could just mention it in a post and then someone would do it.
Rob Dylan wrote:Mercedes paying homage to the other W12 chassis by breaking down 30 minutes in
UncreativeUsername37

Yeah, I think we just need to stop making boring challenges.

Or the even simpler answer of no one cares about this anymore :P
Rob Dylan wrote:Mercedes paying homage to the other W12 chassis by breaking down 30 minutes in
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

UncreativeUsername37 wrote:Yeah, I think we just need to stop making boring challenges.

Or the even simpler answer of no one cares about this anymore :P

I still kinda care about this. I am just not always able to create anything on gmaps pedometer if I am on my tablet device...
MCard LOLA
Aislabie

Post by Aislabie »

I also still care about this, but I don't want to be winning things by default. It's a bit of a bore.

I wonder whether we oughtn't have twelve monthly challenges? It's a bit stop-start, but it'll give people plenty of time to think things through and design good tracks. Rather than having 24 mediocre challenges with three people each, I'd rather have 12 good ones with five each.

If we did that, we could maybe do the voting with Google Forms?
UncreativeUsername37

My preferred number to keep it low would be 16 a year since it's the classic F1 season length, if there can be said to be such a thing, but in any case I like the idea of having some sort of regularity. And I don't see why to use Google Forms versus what we're already doing, or why not to be fair....

But yes, in general imposing some kind of schedule to try and force quality over quantity feels like a good idea.
UncreativeUsername37

Aislabie, if you put a challenge up now, having one every three weeks would nicely run up to the end of the year... just saying :P
Aislabie

Post by Aislabie »

Challenge One: Hand-Drawn Challenge

Your first task is to design a Grand Prix circuit, but to draw it by hand. Pen-and-paper designs, or any similar medium will do. Then there's no need to scan it or anything, just a phone photo uploaded to Imgur will do.

As usual, designs with lots of thought given to them will be more highly thought-of, so the words you write to explain your design could be just as helpful as the design itself.

Deadline is like two-weeks ish?
UncreativeUsername37

This is the best picture you're getting of Denmark's new Grade 2 track, the Kiesaring.

At the end of the home straight is Concern, which isn't a marginally altered ripoff of Tarzanbocht right down to the runoff area and I don't know why you're suggesting that. The next five corners all come with less than 200 metres between them. Waste no time in crossing over for Dread and get partially off the throttle, then come to Inferiority, which is slightly tighter than 90 degrees so you can't call it 90 degrees. After that is Guilt, a corner that feels faster than it is because of what it's in proximity to, with a slight kink afterward to ensure any mistake is harshly punished, and also because if the corner wasn't squared off slightly there wouldn't be enough runoff. Sorrow is a flick demanding precision shortly before Exhaustion, a triple-apex corner which still curves slightly between the apexes.

Now that you're out of the figurative kart track, it's a reasonably long straight before Terror, the track's simple, thrilling high-speed corner. A straight of similar length takes you to the Frustration hairpin, the braking zone for which is downhill at an epic 2% grade. Quickly after is Hopelessness, Guilt's lower-radius but less angled cousin. The only straight of a moderate length ends in the final corner, Despair, which is like Frustration but marginally easier in every way, encouraging you to think "It's just like the other one" and lose a load of time or think "It's just like the other one but I can take it faster!" and lose a load of time. Or I'm trying to pass off having two near-identical corners as a deliberate psychological trick after the fact. I also gave it more runoff even though the entry is slower, don't know what that was about.

Anyway, I think the place would have a nice flow to it.
UncreativeUsername37

I think it's safe to say I win this one. Let's try something that takes less effort!

The Anti-Shanghai
For the second round of the championship, we're going to the opposite side of the world from Shanghai, which is quite close to Buenos Aires. Which still makes sense for the second round. Oh well.

The actual challenge is very simple: make an F1-spec track in Argentina shaped like the three-stroke xià, an antonym of the shàng in Shanghai. Try to keep it at least as shaped as its inspiration as Shanghai is. I'm not setting any hard limits, but it's modern F1, so you can't go too crazy with the characteristics. That should be it.
AdrianBelmonte_

#FoxesFansHooligans

#HaasShouldBeSoLucky
Aislabie

Post by Aislabie »

This'll also do. It's an uninspired effort on an uninspired tract of land just outside Buenos Aires.

If I feel more inspired in the coming days I'll edit a new entry into this post.
UncreativeUsername37

2. AdrianBelmonte_
Not much about this track is clearly, articulatably bad, a few corners look particularly fun, I guess I'd just need more speed. Part of me says the first section would be really fun to drive and to watch and part of me says it's a bit too kartingy even for my taste. It doesn't feel right for F1 in particular. Speaking of not enough speed, the ridiculous straight before a hairpin is meh, we have enough of those in new F1 tracks, and above all else it reminds me of Shanghai, which is probably supposed to be really bad for this challenge. And I can see what you trying to go for with the final corner, making it all complicated and difficult, and it would be, but I think it'd feel awkward more than anything else. The eastern section would just make me wish I was at Suzuka, although watching people in qualifying overdo the exit would be endless fun. The corners either side of the 2-km mark have a great flow, but that's the only place with two exciting corners in a row.

Also, the diagonal stroke isn't very diagonal.

1. Aislabie
There are parts of this track I really like. The tricky yet fast section after the 1-km mark and to a lesser but still pretty nice extent a few of the corners following it. And it'd be so hard to get the chicane at the end just right. There are also big problems: the street-style section in the middle overstays its welcome just a bit, and the chicane after it is so ugly. I know it has a purpose of safety, but pretty much anything else as slow would've been more creative and interesting. You could've tied that into not doing the same thing twice with the previous corner too. But more than anything, the track is full of tricky challenges I haven't seen at any other purpose-built venue. This one isn't very xià-shaped either, but I'd love to see it become a reality since it's something different.
Aislabie

Post by Aislabie »

To be honest, I think we should put this on hiatus; we've had three entries across two contests and it doesn't seem like it's particularly worth starting another contest
Pinkd56
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Pinkd56 »

It returns...?

After moaning on the discord, I was challenged by Aisy to actually try and get this thread back up and running!

Regionalliga Challenge

So to try and get things going, I'll go for something fairly straightforward. You must design a circuit that passes by any current German Regionalliga stadium.

Here's an example of what I have in mind - a simple 3.6mile circuit around Regionalliga West side Rot-Weiss Oberhausen's Niederrheinstadion.
Last edited by Pinkd56 on 10 May 2023, 20:10, edited 1 time in total.
Aislabie

Post by Aislabie »

Welcome to the Köln Fortunaring, venue for a weekend-long Formula Regional, Formula 4, DTM and ADAC GT festival.

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=7711893
Hermann95
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Hermann95 »

May I introduce you to the Edmund-Plambeck Ring, which encloses the Ednmund-Plambeck-Stadion which is home to not only one, but two teams from the Regionalliga-Nord. (FC St.Pauli II and Eintracht Norderstedt)

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=7711898
Forti
Location: The Pacific time zone, the most rejectful time zone of them all

Post by Forti »

I present the EWR-Arena Straßenkurs, a street circuit located right around the EWR-Arena. It is 3.12 mi/5.02km long.
http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/gp/bookma ... id/7711911

My Ranking (looks like that's all we've got):

3. Edmund-Plambeck Ring (Hermann95) - Interesting layout, but a bit too angular in many places

2. Pinkd56's track - I'm sure this would be fun to race on, but I don't think that first chicane on Buschhausner Street was necessary.

1. Koln Fortunaring (Aislabie) - Another chicane by the start which I'm not sure is needed, but this track is the opposite of MEGABAD (a store it is near).
Looks like it would provide exciting racing regardless.
Aislabie wrote: Oh that's another thing, if you hang around with us it will completely reshape your perception of Mario as a character.
It would be funny if FortiWinks returned from his absence only to find out that I'm the Forti in town now.