The “Part-Timers” Cup

The place for alternate championships that use real results as a base of forming alternative results, driver careers, and games in general
Loadsamoney

The “Part-Timers” Cup

Post by Loadsamoney »

Hello! This is my first time doing something potentially of note on this forum, so we’ll see how it goes.

How this will work is that if you compete in at least one race, yet not in all of them, you’re in*. The way I knew who was in and who wasn’t was… Wikipedia. If a driver has at least one plain white square (unsurprisingly, it means they didn’t enter), they’re eligible.

I am doing this using https://www.formula1points.com/alltime because it’s simple and I can’t be bothered to calculate it myself. I have also finished it already, so if I do stop uploading these mid-way through then feel free to call me out on it.

The 1950 “Part-Timers” Cup will begin either later today or tomorrow (This will not include the Indy 500 because it would break everything). I’ll add the constructors championship eventually, but doing that in the early years will be painful.

If you want, make predictions, and if you will make predictions, here are a few bonus questions:
  • Which year(s) will have a driver win by default, and who will win them?
    Which year(s) will have 2 drivers tie for the championship, and who will they be?
    Which year(s) will have no eligible drivers?
    Which driver(s) will win the most championships?

Drivers’s Championship History
1950: Alberto Ascari
1951: Jose Froilan Gonzalez
1952: Alberto Ascari (2)
1953- Jose Froilan Gonzalez (2)
1954- Jose Froilan Gonzalez (3)
1955- Giuseppe Farina
1956- Cesare Perdisa* (maybe)
1957- Stirling Moss
1958-

Reject of the Year
1954- Alberto Ascari
1955- Maserari
1956- Everything
1957- Cesare Perdisa
1958-

Records (as of 1957)
Most wins in one year: Alberto Ascari: 6 (1952)
Highest PPR in a year: Alberto Ascari: 8.91 (1952)
Most Common Champion’s Constructor: Ferrari: 5 (1950-1952, 1954, 1955)
Most Championships: Jose Froilan Gonzalez- 3

Total Wins (as of 1957)
Jose Froilan Gonzalez: 14
Alberto Ascari: 9
Giuseppe Farina: 4
Stirling Moss: 4
Felice Bonetto: 3*
Piero Taruffi: 3
Karl Kling: 3*
Mike Hawthorn: 2.5*
Luigi Musso: 2.5*
Umberto Maglioli: 2*
Reg Parnell: 1+1*
Tony Brooks: 2
Prince Bira: 1
Peter Whitehead: 1
Yves Giraud Cabantous: 1
Onofre Marimon: 1
Roberto Mieres: 1
(From this point on, 15 drivers will make it on here. Drivers with known shared drives will be replaced. Counting this sucks, tell me if I’ve ruined everything)

*Shared drives involved
Last edited by Loadsamoney on 08 May 2023, 12:29, edited 9 times in total.
Loadsamoney

Re: The “Part-Timers” Cup

Post by Loadsamoney »

1950 Part-Timer’s Standings

I cannot believe it. I wrote a thing about this year and it said “General Error” and now it’s mostly gone. Ah well. I remember some bits. For example, Alberto Ascari won, this is obviously the first year, and Prince Bira won a race.

HighestPoints Per Race (PPR): Alberto Ascari/Peter Whitehead*- 6 PPR
Eligible Drivers: 40
Drivers with Points: 21

1950 Wins
Alberto Ascari: 3
Reg Parnell: 1
Prince Bira: 1
Peter Whitehead: 1
Dorino Serafini: 1*

*Shared drive shenanigans involved with Dorino Serafini
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

I sadly fear that Schumacher will dominate the 1994 season, but that there will be a lot of eligible drivers that year. Yet neither Pacific driver will be eligible…
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
Loadsamoney

Post by Loadsamoney »

1951 Part-Timer’s Standings
1951 is done, and with Ascari gone, Jose Froilan Gonzalez wins his first ever Part-Timers Cup Championship. Furthermore, he wins a record 5 races, which will inevitably be beaten by Lewis Hamilton in 2020. Ferrari seemed to be the dominant constructor here, but as previously stated I don’t feel like doing that in the early years so you’ll just have to take my word on it.

Highest PPR: Jose Froilan Gonzalez*/Andre Pilette- 6
Eligible Drivers: 42 (Highest so far)
Drivers with Points: 20 (Lowest so far)

1951 Wins
Jose Froilan Gonzalez: 5 (Current Record)
Piero Taruffi: 1
Yves Giraud Cabantous: 1
Reg Parnell/Luigi Fagioli: 1*

*Shared Drive Shenanigans involved
Last edited by Loadsamoney on 08 May 2023, 12:18, edited 1 time in total.
Loadsamoney

Post by Loadsamoney »

1952 Part-Timer’s Cup
(Note: I’m pretty sure that I did two screenshots of this one, one with and one without fastest laps because I forgot it. This, if this is the case, if the latter. Blame the images breaking, not me!)

Well then. Ascari is back and oh god is he back! Not only did he win every race he competed in, but he also always got the fastest lap. This means that Alberto Ascari finished with an astonishing 8.91 POINTS PER RACE, which I didn’t think was possible in the 1950s. This was also the exact same year for him as in the real 1952 championship, so I guess this was always going to happen in the end. Also, it’s safe to say Ferrari dominated the constructors this year too. The won every race and (except one) were the runner’s up too.

Highest PPR: Alberto Ascari- 8.91
Eligible Drivers: 62
Drivers with Points: 19

1951 Wins
Alberto Ascari: 6

Last edited by Loadsamoney on 08 May 2023, 12:22, edited 1 time in total.
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

2017 will be fascinating with Paul di Resta and Jenson Button battling it out for last place again :D
Murray Walker at the 1997 Austrian Grand Prix wrote:The other [Stewart] driver, who nobody's been paying attention to, because he's disappointing, is Jan Magnussen.
Felipe Nasr - the least forgettable F1 driver!
Loadsamoney

Post by Loadsamoney »

Rob Dylan wrote: 16 Mar 2023, 13:30 2017 will be fascinating with Paul di Resta and Jenson Button battling it out for last place again :D
Well I mean, you’re not wrong. However, one of them (technically) did do better in this, which we will get to in at least 4.5 epochs.

1953 Part-Timer’s Standings (I’ll figure out a consistent name to put there eventually)

Ferrari were too consistent to compete, so Maserati dominate instead. Jose Froilan Gonzalez win for a second time in 3 years, seemingly winning when Ascari is absent from the points. I’ll probably have more to talk about when I know more than 20% of these drivers.

Highest PPR: Jose Froilan Gonzalez- 6.4/ Hermann Lang- 8*
Eligible Drivers: 65
Drivers with Points: 25

1953 Wins(*,just all of it)
Jose Froilan Gonzalez: 4

Felice Bonetto: 3
Onofre Marimon: 1
Hermann Lang: 1
Roberto Mieres: 1

*Shared Drive Shenanigans. Again. Do I really need to tell you what this means at this point?
Last edited by Loadsamoney on 08 May 2023, 12:27, edited 1 time in total.
Loadsamoney

Post by Loadsamoney »

1954 Part-Timers Standings

Jose Froilan Gonzalez has now won 3 Championships. This means that 2 drivers have won in 5 years. You’d struggle to convince me this was the 1950s and not the 2010s, but that’s not important. What is important is that I don’t have anything to say about most of these drivers.

Highest PPR: Jose Froilan Gonzalez- 7.7
Drivers in points: 23
Reject of the Year: (unfortunately) Alberto Ascari- this is very much undeserved, and a bit sad. His last full-ish year before his unfortunate death, and he is unable to finish any of them. He was still fast, as shown in him getting 2 fastest laps, but unfortunately it just ends like this for him.

1954 Wins
Jose Froilan Gonzalez: 4
Karl Kling: 2
Umberto Maglioli: 1
Luigi Musso: 1
Giuseppe Farina: 1
Stirling Moss: 1
Loadsamoney

Post by Loadsamoney »

1955 Part-Timers Standings

Finally, Giuseppe Farina wins a championship! In other news, Mercedes dominated the latter half, and Jose Froilan Gonzalez finished one race on par for a fourth championship, but decided to only race in his home nation, Argentina. Not much else to say.

Highest PPR: Giuseppe Farina/Jose Froilan Gonzalez- 8
Drivers in Points: 21
Reject of the Year: Maserati- There wasn’t really any contenders, but Maserati pretty much vanished this year.

1955 Wins
Giuseppe Farina: 3
Karl Kling: 1
Mike Hawthorn: 1
Umberto Maglioli: 1*
Cesare Perdisa: 1*
Jose Froilan Gonzalez: 1*
Last edited by Loadsamoney on 08 May 2023, 12:25, edited 1 time in total.
James1978

Post by James1978 »

This sounds good - predictions for 1976 to date (whited out for people who don't want to see):

1976 Lauda (missed races after his big Nurbiugring crash)
1977 Lauda (pulled out of last 2 races after championship sealed
1978 Peterson (died at the third-last race)
1979 Depailler (only did half the season but can't think of any other significant runners missing races)
1980 Prost (missed Long Beach)
1981 De Angelis (Lotus pulled out of Imola)
1982 Rosberg (not much elimination here due to Imola and other deaths/injuries. Think only Prost, Arnoux and Alboreto from the significant runners do every race)
1983 Boutsen (started at Spa)
1984 Senna (Toleman kicked him out of Monza for breach of contract)
1985 Laffite (Ligier withdrew from South Africa)
1986 Laffite (was good up to Brands and can't think of anyone else decent and eligible)
1987 Mansell (missed Australia due to injury)
1988 Dalmas!!! (missed Australia with illness. Mansell is eligible but only finishes 2 races!)
1989 Mansell (banned for Jerez)
1990 Nannini (Missed last 2 races after his helicopter crash)
1991 Prost (fired for last race)
1992 Wendlinger (replaced by Lammers last 2 races. Capelli also eligible but only finishes 3 races IIRC)
1993 Andretti (ha!!)
1994 Schumacher (at least he has some competition from Hakkinen and Alesi)
1995 Blundell (both McLarens eligible but think he finished more races than Hakkinen)
1996 Fisichella (think we only have the second Minardi and 2 Fortis eligilble)
1997 Berger (missed 3 races mid-season)
1998 Verstappen/Magnussen (they both had 3 race finishes and nobody else eligible as far as I know. How do you separate them!)
1999 Schumacher (missed races after Silverstone crash)
2000 Irvine (only him and his Austria replacement Burrti eligible as far as I know)
2001 Frentzen (missed Germany after being fired by Jordan and only started with Prost in Hungary)
2002 Massa (replaced by Frentzen at Indy due to impending grid penalty)
2003 Ralf Schumacher (missed Monza with injury)
2004 Trulli (only missed China after getting fired by Renault then started with Toyota at Suzuka)
2005 Button (BAR banned for 2 races. Don't think Indy counts as all the Michelin runners did qualify)
2006 Klien (think he did more of the season than anyone else who got replaced such as Montoya or Villeneuve)
2007 Kubica (missed Indy after Canada accident)
2008 Sato (think you only have him and Davidson)
2009 Glock (did more races than Massa)
2010 De La Rosa (replaced by Heidfeld for Singapore)
2011 Trulli (replaced by Chandhok for Germany)
2012 Grosjean (banned for Monza)
2013 Raikkonen (missed last 2 races)
2014 Chilton (only the 2 tail-end teams eligible but think he had more finishes)
2015 Alonso (missed Melbourne)
2016 Alonso (missed Bahrain)
2017 Alonso (missed Monaco - maybe he was doing this for a reason!)
2018 and 2019 nobody eligible as far as I'm aware
2020 Hamilton (missed Sakhir with Covid)
2021 Raikkonen (only him and Kubica eligible I think)
2022 Vettel (missed first 2 races).

Don't know enough about earlier seasons to predict but they're far more random with far more fatal crashes and injuries.
"Poor old Warwick takes it from behind all throughout this season". :) (Tony Jardine, 1988)
Loadsamoney

Post by Loadsamoney »

1956 Part-Timers Standings (aka, the end of credibility)

Put a big * on Cesare Perdisa. I don’t think they should win. Shared Drives are the bane of my existence, more than the Indy 500s. If you know more about the circumstances of this, please mention it so I can do some shoddy editing to this.

Highest PPR: Paul Frere- 8
Drivers in Points: 23
Reject of the Year: Everything. I mean really, the champion is only maybe the champion, nobody won multiple races, and the driver with the most points per race just showed up once, won (probably in a shared drive) and then didn’t race again. Credibility? What’s that?

1956 Wins
Luigi Musso- 0.5 (?)
Mike Hawthornx 0.5 (?)
And the rest got full points for their one win even if it was a shared drive. Moral of the story? The 1950s were weird.
Hermano da Silva Ramos
Paul Frere
Cesare Perdisa
Louis Rosier
Jack Fairman
Alfonso de Portago
Paco Godia
Ron Flockhart
Loadsamoney

Post by Loadsamoney »

1957 Part-Timers Standings
It’s back! Granted, I don’t think it will leave fully, just hiatuses (hiati?) when I don’t feel like posting it- I have completed the whole thing already after all.

Stirling Moss wins the 1957 Part Timers Championship, something that he was always just so close to doing in real life. Luigi Musso were on top for the majority of the year, however absolutely flopped in the last two races (under circumstances I can’t be asked to research. Look, I don’t have all the time in the world ok!) and so failed to win their first Part Timers championship. In fact, a lot of the top drivers failed to perform in the last race in Italy (the second of 2, the first at Pescara and the second at Monza).

Highest PPR: Stirling Moss- 4.33
Drivers in Points: 19 (a new low, is it becoming less silly?)
Reject of the Year: Cesare Perdisa- Only competed in one race after “”””””winning””””””” in 1956 under circumstances so dubious I originally wrote the wrong driver down. There wasn’t really much competition, except Jose Froilan Gonzalez who only finished in third with one shared drive. I chose Perdisa over Gonzalez because not only did they perform worse in their only race, but also because JFG has been too part time to contend for a couple of years, and I am still spiteful from 1956.

1957 Wins
Stirling Moss- 3

Tony Brooks- 2
Mike Hawthorn- 1
Luigi Musso- 1
Jean Behra- 1
Loadsamoney

Post by Loadsamoney »

So a quick update on this. I plan to continue this soon, but I am noticing that some of the images have stopped showing up, coming up as just a ?. I’ll try and fix it as soon as possible before I write up the next year.

Future me, “as soon as possible” is “15 minutes”. That was shockingly easy. Let’s hope that doesn’t happen again.
Loadsamoney

Post by Loadsamoney »

1958 Part-Timers Standings

The British domination continues with Roy Salvadori and Tony Brooks fighting for the championship. The former does eventually get the win after Tony Brooks fails to complete the race in Morocco. Probably one of the best championships so far, which is less of a testament to how good the year was but more of how F1’s midfield was essentially one of those lottery machines.

Highest PPR: Juan Manuel Fangio- 6
Drivers in Points: 21, that’s fairly reasonable I suppose.
Reject of the Year: Me for trying to give this award in years I know nothing about, with context that I know nothing about, with drivers I know nothing about.

Driver Wins
Tony Brooks- 3

Roy Salvadori- 1
Maurice Trintignant- 1
Luigi Musso- 1
Lewis Stuart-Evans- 1
Phil Hill- 1
Wolfgang von Trips- 1
Peter Collins- 1

1958 Constructors Championship But Only Drivers That Competed Part Time I Guess
Oh yeah, Constructors. This is actually counted now, and for at least the time being I’m going to be using these line graphs, because if we did this with the same format as the driver’s standings we’d need 5 more images. Pure Ferrari domination except for the time Vanwall won 3 races in a row but because Ferrari was consistent it really didn’t matter. Yeah teams have god knows how many drivers at the moment so it’s hard to tell how fair it is. I’m experiencing the team standings blind as we go through this so I’ll be as surprised ,if not more, than you will be.
Loadsamoney

Post by Loadsamoney »

Hey! I’ll keep this brief. If you couldn’t tell from the fact that this sorta stagnated, I kinda lost interest in this. However, I’m posting the website I used to do this because I’ve already done every single year up until 2022 (except 2018 and 2019 because everyone competed in every race. Damn you and your consistency!). As for 2023, Lance Stroll should win if nobody else misses any races. You should be able to find the list fairly easily, although it doesn’t seem to show constructors for some reason.
https://www.formula1points.com/community-seasons

Now I’ve just got to pray the url works.
James1978

Post by James1978 »

Comparing these against my predictions - how come Prost is not included in 1991 when he was fired for Australia? And Ralf in 2003 when he missed Monza through injury?
"Poor old Warwick takes it from behind all throughout this season". :) (Tony Jardine, 1988)
Loadsamoney

Post by Loadsamoney »

James1978 wrote: 19 Sep 2023, 16:12 Comparing these against my predictions - how come Prost is not included in 1991 when he was fired for Australia? And Ralf in 2003 when he missed Monza through injury?
My best explanation for this is I was sorta speeding through it and also I’m an idiot. Can’t remember exactly what I based who gets in and who doesn’t off at this point, but I’m pretty sure they both should be counted.

This goes for everyone who goes through this, please tell me if I have messed up in any way with this, because I’m almost certain I’ve missed out more and these are just the most prevalent examples!