Slim Borgudd, 1946-2023

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
dinizintheoven

Slim Borgudd, 1946-2023

Post by dinizintheoven »

https://www.motorsportmagazine.com/arti ... cba1185463

Do we need anything to add to Slim's obituary other than the famous gig on the side that saw Abba's logo drawn on the sidepods of the ATS HGS1 (a.k.a. the D5) in 1981, even though he barely ever qualified with it? If so, Motorsport (the old green magazine, not the Autosport-in-disguise website) has already done so.

Maybe we should remember him for being one of the older F1 debutants, the 40-somethings from the 1950s notwithstanding. He was 34 at the time of his first F1 start, which was almost matched by the likes of Roland Ratzenberger (33, though he said he was two years younger), Damon Hill (32) and Yuji Ide (31), but beaten firmly by good old Johnny Carwash (37).
James Allen, on his favourite F1 engine of all time:
"...the Life W12, I can't describe the noise to you, but imagine filling your dustbin with nuts and bolts, and then throwing it down the stairs, it was something akin to that!"
Barbazza

Re: Slim Borgudd, 1946-2023

Post by Barbazza »

Too many unsung heroes of F1 dying lately, this makes me very sad. He was part of the first F1 season I watched properly (albeit not for very long) so for that he holds a special place in my heart. May he RIP.