de Vinuesa Career - Season 4 - 1991

The place for non-canon series, including all series that contain minimal or no references at all to the RWRS universe
Aerond
Site Donor
Site Donor

de Vinuesa Career - Season 4 - 1991

Post by Aerond »

So De Vinuesa's career has been rebooted, but gone back to GP2 because easiness of modding. I've found a decent-ish way to simulate Pre-Q and Wet Races.

Please advance a few posts to find out what's been going on during the 1988 season.
Last edited by Aerond on 07 Jan 2024, 14:24, edited 23 times in total.
Tread lightly in ARWS. Every decision might be your last.
Aerond
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: The Wonderful What If Career of Alfonso de Vinuesa

Post by Aerond »

Eurobrun have confirmed that Alfonso de Vinuesa will partner Stefano Modena for their debut F1 season!

New poll posted.
Aerond
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: The Wonderful What If Career of Alfonso de Vinuesa -New

Post by Aerond »

Alfonso de Vinuesa completes shakedown of the new Eurobrun ER188 at Vallelunga.

This is the only pre-season test the new outfit will make before making their F1 debut at Jacarepagua. De Vinuesa completed 28 laps with a best time of 1.03.3
Aerond
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Aerond »

The people have spoken! 27th and worse will DNQ. If I DNQ, I will probably turn invincibility on and try to take off as many DNQ's as possible, so we reduce the chance of those spoiling the proper race.
CarloSpace
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by CarloSpace »

Aerond wrote:The people have spoken! 27th and worse will DNQ. If I DNQ, I will probably turn invincibility on and try to take off as many DNQ's as possible, so we reduce the chance of those spoiling the proper race.

That actually sounds really fun challenge to take. :deletraz:
Aerond
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Aerond »

CarloSpace wrote:
Aerond wrote:The people have spoken! 27th and worse will DNQ. If I DNQ, I will probably turn invincibility on and try to take off as many DNQ's as possible, so we reduce the chance of those spoiling the proper race.

That actually sounds really fun challenge to take. :deletraz:

Carnageee :deletraz:
Aerond
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Aerond »

BRAZIL 1988

Qualifying / Race video: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/935731848

QUALIFYING

RACE

Standings

Last edited by Aerond on 04 Mar 2021, 09:48, edited 2 times in total.
Aerond
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: The Wonderful What If Career of Alfonso de Vinuesa

Post by Aerond »

So I was stupid and accidentally finished the Qualifying session when I still had one attempt to go (I still don't think I would have made it), so there's that. Overall very difficult to follow the pace of the CC cars around, but pretty happy with my Q time all things considered.
Aerond
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: de Vinuesa Career - San Marino 88 results

Post by Aerond »

SAN MARINO GRAND PRIX - Imola

Crazy weekend overall.

Due to a track bug, cars wouldn't pit, which meant any driver losing front wing or rear wing at race would keep doing laps forever entering the pits every lap.
Qualifying was great, putting the Eurobrun in 3rd place! Unfortunately, both McLaren drivers collided at Tossa on the first lap and I was punted by one of them while going around. I dropped to 15th and then I was charging through the field when on lap 18 the Benetton of Nannini closed on me while being lapped, losing my front wing. I entered the pits but Senna drove into the back of my car while in the pitlane and my race was over.
The rest of the race was a shitfest, with Thierry Boutsen holding on and winning the race! Only 8 cars were classified, with just Ivan Capelli finishing all the laps without any damage. Think will turn damage down for Monaco a little bit :p

Video: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/938158694 (race starts at 50:00)

QUALIFYING

RACE

STANDINGS

Aerond
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: de Vinuesa Career - Monaco 88 results - Podium finish!

Post by Aerond »

MONACO 88 -

So this weekend was, as expected of Monaco and F1C, a complete bathplug :D

In Qualifying I managed only to get P17 after Nicola Larini's Osella blocked me, throwing away a potential Top 10 on the grid.

The race was complete chaos and mainly dictated by the backmarkers not giving way to the leaders for many laps, which caused big trains of cars. I had a minor incident on lap 20 when I lost my FW, then worked my way up to the top 6 and eventually the lead for a few laps when the leaders entered for fresh rubber. I did a second stop at lap 55, and was settled for a point, but the chaos in the last few laps meant climbing up to P3 and giving Eurobrun their first points ever with a podium!

Modena was on way to points too but he retired with an accident not too far from the end. The race was stopped on the two hour limit and I was quite exhausted after finishing it. 78 laps of Monaco with and H-Shifter is... something :p

VIDEO - race starts around 32:00 mark -

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/945574926

QUALIFYING

RACE

STANDINGS

Aerond
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: de Vinuesa Career - Mexico 88 results - NEW POLL!

Post by Aerond »

MEXICO 88

My Qualifying was a quite better than expected, as I was doing high 21's in practice.

On race, I was staying out of trouble and running a fine 6th -albeit far from the front runners pace-, but I made a mistake when being lapped by Senna and had to repair de rear wing, getting also de suspension damaged in the process. Since my race was over from a point of view, I decided to take off Dalmas since he was being a liability, but I got a stop/go penalty while trying it, then on the 2nd try I lost my front wing so I ended up 5 laps down and with a car that was hardly driveable. On the front, Senna dominated the race. Alain Prost needed a front wing change, which destroyed his options. Ferrari finally getting some results. Johansson lost also a point since he was running right behind me, but had trouble mid race.

Video: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/948040833

Qualifying:

Race:

Standings:

Aerond
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Aerond »

Aerond
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Aerond »

ROUND 5 - 1988 - CANADIAN GRAND PRIX

Story of the weekend

From day 1 it was clear that it was going to be a tough weekend fighting at the back of the grid. Qalifying was OKish in 21st place after a strong lap.
On race day, I could keep 21st after first lap and afterwards I found myself a bit slower than Caffi, so couldn't do much more than keep Ghinzani behind. After 20 laps or so I did a small mistake which damaged my suspension a little but got again on my pace regularly shortly afterwards and found myself fighting with Ghinzani until my pitstop. Fortunately the performance was strong at the pits and I could jump a few places, then more places after the big pile-up (see video in previous post). Prost had problems so in the final part of the race I kept running behind him in 10th place, getting to pass him at the final corner on the final lap for a solid 9th place.

P.S. -> I've done some fixes to damage files and AI setups so racing the AI should be harder from now on and the kek results from the first few rounds should be way more far in-between.

VIDEO (Race starts around 23 minutes)

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/953195458

QUALIFYING

RACE

STANDINGS

Aerond
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: de Vinuesa Career - Canada 88 results

Post by Aerond »

ADRIAN CAMPOS RETIRES FROM F1 RACING

Adrián Campos has decided to retire with inmediate effect from F1. The Spanish driver said he has lost motivation, following a disastrous start to the 1988 season. His seat at Minardi will be taken by italian Pierluigi Martini.
Aerond
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: de Vinuesa Career - Canada 88 results

Post by Aerond »

1988 - ROUND 06 - 7th Enichem Detroit Grand Prix

So, this race was a total farce.

At the start of the race the track was slightly wet but everyone started on slicks. This caused some mayhem in the first few laps. As the track dried, for a brief while things seemed to go normal. Prost got caught in the first laps mayhem and had to stop for a new front wing, which would prove disastrous later. Senna on his side hit some problems and caused a massive train of cars behind. We took the advantage of making a bold move on Berger and Warwick as Senna spun and got in P3.
On Lap 22 a massive pile-up caused by Tarquini crashing into the wall wiped up 6 cars. Senna was flipped by Martini and from then on the race was a total farce. Things were completely stopped on Lap 35 when I was running first but the FIA decided to award half points based on Lap 21 before the pile up!
The team protested the results to no avail, but we kept a nice 3rd place in the end.

F1 is probably never going back to Detroit after such events. Talks with Arizona are in the way to host a Grand Prix in Phoenix next season.

QUALIFYING

RACE

STANDINGS

Aerond
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: de Vinuesa Career - France 88 results

Post by Aerond »

1988 - Round 7 - Rhône-Poulenc Grand Prix de France

Video replay:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1dXMEz3xvuY

A hard weekend overall due to Paul Ricard being a power circuit. I qualified a respectable 20th which I turned into 13th by end of first lap. We were holding ok leading a train of 6-7 faster cars but I made a mistake missing a shift going into the last corner and hitting the tyre barrier just 13 laps into the race. The stop cost me a lot of time and also heavily damaged the suspension, so we had to make do with it for the rest of the race.

I gambled on not changing tyres, fighting Dalmas and Johansson for P15 but a bit less 20 laps from the end the tyres started to fade quickly and couldn't keep pace, finishing 17th.

At the front, Prost crashed once again while in the lead and threw away a home win, which went to a happy Senna instead. Senna's now 13 points clear of Berger in the championship, with the Ferrari beaten by Piquet due to a spin from the Ferrari driver. Capelli managed decent points.

Aerond
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: de Vinuesa Career - British GP 88 results

Post by Aerond »

1988 - Round 8 - XLI Shell Oils British Grand Prix

No video replay this time - Had connection problems.

Not much to tell about this weekend. First practice the track was drenched and then we never found the correct balance for the high speed corners, therefore failing to qualify for the race. Modena failed to qualify too in what's the first ever Eurobrun double DNQ.
In the race, Prost took an early lead but his engine expired, leaving Senna an easy win. However, this did not happen because Senna decided to bin it and spun twice, handing Piquet another surprise win after Berger binned his car too. With this, Piquet has won 3 races in the championship and he's traling Senna.
Nakajima wasted a podium finish with two laps to go and it went instead to Mauricio Gugelmin.

Aerond
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: de Vinuesa Career - Reboot

Post by Aerond »

Sum-up of the season so far:

Many ups and downs in the beginning of the season in this re-boot of the career. Managed to qualify for three races only in the first half: Brazil, Detroit and France. In Brazil I spun off early on while driving in 15th place. In Detroit I got an incredible pole position, but some driving mistakes demoted me to the back of the pack, and was riding 8th near the end when the transmission broke. In France, was driving in the middle when Gugelmin took me out. Generally, difficult Pre-Qualifying sessions, where getting in the top 3 has not been happening often.

1988 - Round 10 - Pop 84 Hungarian Grand Prix

Pre-Qualifying

A very difficult pre-qualifying session in the wet. Got to post a good enough time at the final minute, after being out for most of the session, but it was really tight.

Qualifying

The car in the drive behaved much better and, despite the severe lack of power, the better traction compared to the turbo cars meant I qualified a very nice 3rd.

Race

I did a much better start than Boutsen but Prost just flought by thus keeping 3rd place. The race was relatively calm thanks to problems experienced by both Benetton drivers and Patrese retiring, but as I came about to lap Nannini on lap 59, he blocked me blatantly and I damaged my front wing in the process. I decided then to continue on and not stop for a new one. Boutsen catched in the space of 8 laps, but the good traction helped me enough in the straights compared to the time I was losing in the corners. Modena then helped when he blocked Boutsen two laps to the end to score a fantastic 3rd place! My first F1 race finish, first points, and first podium for Eurobrun.

Aerond
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Aerond »

AGS is interested in building a 2nd car for the rest of the season in order to help them pass Pre-Q more often. They want Roberto Moreno in the car, if Moreno can come up with the budget.

RNG: 1-71 : Moreno is broke and cannot bring any money.
71-90 : Moreno finds some sponsorship and the deal goes through.
91-100 : AGS decide to pursue another driver (2nd RNG)

Result: 90. Roberto Moreno gets a backer from Brazil and will drive the final 6 races for AGS!
Aerond
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Aerond »

For those who have been following on Discord (ie all of you); results and stuff is being posted in the rejectsport channel, also, races are transmitted again in Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/@d.i.g.7724/streams

Final 1988 standings:

A good final run of races qualifying from the Portuguese GP onwards. Would have gotten points in Portugal and Spain, but I sent repair bills to Mr. Brun instead. In Japan I was taken out by Winkelhock, while me and Modena both suffered accidents in Australia. Brundle replaced an injuried Julian Bailey for the final race of the season.

A bit of a rollercoaster debut season. The pole position in Detroit was kind of an incredible achievement, as well as the Hungary podium, as well as outqualifying and outracing Modena most weekends. On the other hand, we failed to Pre-Qualify the car for half of the races.
Aerond
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Aerond »

Autosport wrote:

Driver ratings - Our Top 10 Drivers of 1988
:

1. Alain Prost: No doubt the french driver was the best driver of the 1988 F1 season. Paired with a very competitive Ayrton Senna, and despite having missed on the first four races of the season, Prost drove superbly to clinch the title with two races to go. The McLaren-Honda combo proved to be an impressive car, and Prost definitely took the most out of it to win his third Formula One title.

2. Ayrton Senna: It was always going to be a tough season for the Brazilian with a new environment and by far the best of the teammates he's ever had. However, Senna responded to the pressure by winning the first four races and many asked then simply when the Brazilian was going to seal the title. While a dip in form mid season turned the tide in the favour of Prost, Senna won in style in the final two races of 1988 and will arrive better prepared to assault the title in 1989.

3. Gerhard Berger: The determined Austrian driver lead Ferrari in what was the best effort after McLaren. That's not saying much, simply because the McLaren's were most always too far ahead. Berger however always kept his head down and made the most out of the chances he had, with an emotional win at the Italian Grand Prix, only two weeks after the death of Enzo Ferrari. An updated Ferrari engine meant he ran closer to the leading duo of Prost and Senna in the final stages of the season, which makes us wonder if his form will transfer into 1989.

4. Nigel Mansell: Mansell cannot be too happy about this year. The Judd engine was simply not a competitor for the turbo powered cars and his car was unreliable, yet Mansell drove well above the possibilities of his Williams. An inspired drive in Brazil and another one in Canada may be all he has to show for this season, before an illness and more reliabilty woes made him run out of steam in the later stages of the year, but considering the circunstances it was not bad at all. It's still to be seen if Mansell will remain at Williams for 1989, since the rumours point him towards Ferrari.

5. Nelson Piquet: The 1987 World Champion had a rollercoaster of a season in 1988. With the Lotus working only some times, Piquet did not have the front running car he was hoping for when he left Williams. Podiums had to wait until the second half of the season, with a win at Germany courtesy of the Honda engine and a string of podiums in the final races, which helped him get past Alboreto in the standings. One thing is certain, Lotus need to improve their form in 1989 if they want to keep the brazilian happy.

6. Derek Warwick: The british driver had a very consistent season, getting some podiums and finishing in the points at all the races he saw the checkered flag. Considering the budget that Arrows worked with, his season can only be considered excellent. Yes, he had BMW engines, but still beat the experienced Eddie Cheever and lead his team to a result that will land them a healthy budget for 1989.

7. Thierry Boutsen: The belgian driver had a big number of races in 1988 where the car let him down when he had the most chances of big results. Fast and consistent, the better of the two Benetton drivers couldn't get a podium simply because the car would break too often, and when he did get a podium, it was stripped off him for fuel irregularities. His final classification does definitely not show the quality of his driving.

8. Ivan Capelli: In his 2nd full Formula One season the italian showed a lot of progress from 1987. He ran very often mixed in the higher part of the midfield and, when his car improved towards the end of the year, showed some great efforts in qualifying. Unfortunately for him, he failed (thanks to his car) to materialise any of these outstanding drives and only got two 5th places to add to his points tally. A man to watch next year.

9. Alessandro Nannini: The Benetton driver showed a high degree of inconsistency in 1989. Combining some really uninspired efforts with astonishing drives, he found himself at the right place at the right time under the rain during the British Grand Prix and snatched a win which, truth to be told, saved his season. If he can get more consistent we should definitely see Nannini on the podium more often, because the italian definitely has the talent for that.

10. Michele Alboreto: The italian had at his disposal a good car for 1988, but uncapable of fighting for the wins he definitely was hoping for. He made use of this to score a great string of points at the beginning of the year, but, after a podium in Germany, his form dropped, which has led to rumours that he'll have to find an alternative for 1989 if he wished to remain in the sport. A solid season from him, but being a once championship contender, one must wonder if Alboreto's best days are starting to fall behind.

Honourable mentions:

Riccardo Patrese: Same as Mansell, could only score some results when his inferior car let him.

Jonathan Palmer: Having finished 15 out of 16 races is quite extraordinary. Palmer showed excellent consistency and did an excellent effort with a car that was just good enough to get on the grid at all.

Alfonso de Vinuesa: Perhaps the most surprising of appearances in this list, driving for the cash strapped debutant team Eurobrun, he beat his highly praised teammate Stefano Modena regularly, and stunned everyone with a pole position at Detroit and a podium later in the season. Needs to reduce his repair bills though.

Andrea de Cesaris: The italian showed a not seen before consistency with the new Rial effort and got a well deserved podium which kept the team out of Pre-Qualifying. Well done.
Aerond
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Aerond »

1989 FORMULA ONE WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP ENTRY LIST

Honda Marlboro Mclaren
Chassis: MP4/5
Engine: Honda RA109E V10

#1 Alain Prost
#2 Ayrton Senna

Tyrrell Racing Organisation
Chassis: 017B
Engine: Ford Cosworth DFR V8

#3 Jonathan Palmer
#4 Michele Alboreto

Canon Williams Team
Chassis: FW12C
Engine: Renault RS1 V10

#5 Thierry Boutsen
#6 Riccardo Patrese

Motor Racing Developments
Chassis: BT58
Engine: Judd EV V8

#7 Martin Brundle
#8 Alfonso de Vinuesa

Arrows Grand Prix International
Chassis: A11

#9 Derek Warwick
#10 Eddie Cheever

Camel Team Lotus
Chassis: 101
Engine: Honda RA109E V10

#11 Nelson Piquet
#12 Satoru Nakajima

Leyton House March Racing Team
Chassis: 881
Engine: Judd CV V8

#15 Mauricio Gugelmin
#16 Ivan Capelli

Osella Squadra Corse
Chassis: FA1M

#17 Nicola Larini
#18 Piercarlo Ghinzani

Benetton Formula Ltd
Chassis: B188

#19 Alessandro Nannini
#20 Johnny Herbert

BMS Scuderia Italia
Chassis: F189

#21 Alex Caffi
#22 Andrea de Cesaris

Lois Minardi Team
Chassis: M188B

#23 Pierluigi Martini
#24 Luis Perez-Sala

Ligier Loto
Chassis: JS33

#25 René Arnoux
#26 Olivier Grouillard

Scuderia Ferrari SpA SEFAC
Chassis: 640
Engine: Ferrari 035/5 V12

#27 Nigel Mansell
#28 Gerhard Berger

Equipe Larrousse
Chassis: LC88B
Engine: Lamborghini 3512 V12

#29 Yannick Dalmas
#30 Philippe Alliot

Coloni SpA
Chassis: FC188B

#31 Roberto Moreno
#32 Pierre-Henri Raphanel

Eurobrun Racing
Chassis: ER188B
Engine: Judd CV V8

#33 Stefano Modena
#34 Gregor Foitek

West Zakspeed Racing
Chassis: 891
Engine: Yamaha OX88 V8

#35 Bernd Schneider
#36 Aguri Suzuki

Moneytron Onyx Formula One
Chassis: ORE-1

#37 Stefan Johansson
#38 Bertrand Gachot

Rial Racing
Chassis: ARC2

#39 Christian Danner
#40 Joachim Winkelhock

Automobiles Gonfaronnaises Sportives
Chassis: JH23B

#41 Philippe Streiff
#42 Julian Bailey
Last edited by Aerond on 02 Feb 2023, 22:15, edited 1 time in total.
Aerond
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Aerond »

Philippe Streiff suffers career ending accident, AGS withdraws from the Brazilian GP

Just a mere 48 hours before the first pre-qualifying session of the season, french driver suffered an accident during pre-season testing at the Jacarepaguá circuit in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. Unfortunately, the driver has become paralized as a result of the shunt (...) The small french outfit AGS announced they will not field their cars at the first race of the season. The team plans to re-appear at the second race of the season in San Marino. No news as to who'll be partnering Julian Bailey have been announced as of yet
Last edited by Aerond on 25 Jan 2023, 15:45, edited 2 times in total.
Aerond
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Aerond »

Story of the race:
I did a good start and kept 5th place into the first corner. On lap 4 Alain Prost catched up with me and I decided to let him go as it was pointless trying to hold the McLaren too much. I kept for a while at a decent distance, matching his pace running between 2 and 3.5 seconds behind, but on lap 14 I lost drive in the back straight and that was it. On the front, Senna was leading but developed a problem late in the race, dropping to 2nd. His newer tyres allowed him to pass Patrese again for the win though. There was a tremendous 4 way battle between Prost, the Benettons and Berger for 4th place in the 2nd half of the race which was entertaining to watch. Prost could keep 4th place thanks to the superiority of the Honda engine.

Stream link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5LnTrtD ... el=D.I.G.

Aerond
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: de Vinuesa Career - 1989 Season -

Post by Aerond »

Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=svvEifQuBJM

Story of the race: I did a bad start and this was the beginning of all my problems as somebody collided with me and damaged my rear wing on lap one. I pitted for a repair and then Nakajima, who was the offender and also damaged his car was coming faster and I let him past, but we were badly held up by Ghinzani and I ended up losing my front wing on lap 10 when Nakajima swerved in front of me. Then on Lap 17 I suffered an electrical problem and I had to do yet another stop ... and another one after Herbert swerved in front of me badly ... and another one after I ran over a kerb and damaged the car. In the final two laps I got to pass Herbert and Alboreto for a top 10 finish. The top 6 were pretty fast so in the end only missed two places i think, even if Piquet spun at the beginning of the race.
At the front, Prost also spun and this gifted the win to Senna, even if he suffered a problem and needed an extra stop near the end.
Aerond
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Aerond »

Aerond
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Aerond »

Story of the race: Got tipped over by Nannini at Ste. Devote, with the gift of rear wing damage as well; had to pit; on lap 8 when I was making ground to the cars ahead suffered an oil leak.
Senna dominated the race with Patrese following closely. Unluckily, he retired, same as Prost earlier. That left Brundle in the run for 3rd, but it ended in massive heartbreak as his Brabham expired two laps to the end.

Stream: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vgtdGfnvSUE
Aerond
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Aerond »

Story of the race: I did a great start and placed 5th after the 1st corner. One of the Williams opened the door at the hairpin and I went for the gap but the Williams driver turned in and I spun. That put me down to 19th place and from there on I started to work my way up. By the stops I was running in 5th place (helped by some retirements as well as having a good pace) and was running ahead of Nannini, then 4th after Capelli retired from 2nd place ... until I suffered a rear left puncture on Lap 42, and that put my race to an end. Another bunch of points that evaporated on reliability. At the front, Senna won easily once Prost retired and has a perfect score card so far. Also, first points for Tyrrell and good performance from Nannini, passing both Nakajima and Alboreto in the final few laps to score 3 points.

Stream: https://www.youtube.com/live/RCasKjmug6g?feature=share
Aerond
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Aerond »

Story of the race: After a great qualifying, both Prost and Nannini made a better start and I was down to 4th by first corner. However, after a few laps I saw I could go for Nannini and passed for 3rd. Piquet behind passed the Benetton as well and started to follow close. I was at ease but around lap 15 tyres started to fade and Piquet catched easily. From then on I had to worry about keeping both Piquet and Berger behind. I was managing everything rather successfully when on lap 25 I suffered a water leak and that was it really. Another retirement from a great position. Brundle also suffered a failure when running on the points, so Brabham was left without points once again... and then pre-qualifying reshuffle is happening in just 3 races time.
Ahead, traffic decided the race as Senna did a better job lapping cars during the 2nd stint, this allowed him to get close enough to Prost and pass for a win.

Stream: https://www.youtube.com/live/UF6pYT-hCIQ?feature=share
Aerond
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Aerond »

Story of the race: My race was as miserable as the weather. No pace at all in the wet, so I spent the whole race at the back and struggling for pace, the only novelty being the car actually made the distance this time... just, because it broke down on the cool down lap, so it wouldn't have mattered if I had been running at the front anyway.
At the front, Williams stole the show, with Boutsen dominating the race until heartbreak happened just a couple laps from the end ... but Patrese was there to cover for it and claim the first non Senna win of the year. De Cesaris also claimed first point ever for Dallara

Stream: https://youtube.com/live/m5WEyBYvtwE
Aerond
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Aerond »

Story of the race: I didn't have a good getaway and was boxed on the outside of T1, losing many places down to P13; I spent the first few laps getting into a good pace and then start to make up places overtaking a few cars and benefitting from a few retirements, going all the way up to P4 by lap 40. Unfortunately it wasn't to go anywhere beyond that because then the engine failed and that was it. Ahead, both McLarens and Mansell retired, giving way for Nakajima to pick up the pieces and score his first ever win and first win for Japan ever! Good points for Capelli and also one point from Alesi in his F1 debut, climbing all the way from 21st on the grid.

Stream: https://www.youtube.com/live/j1vtH0IHNss?feature=share
Aerond
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Aerond »

Story of the race: Did a good start then I divebombed hard into turn one jumping up to 7th. Somewhat decent pace plus some retirements and was running 5th by lap 20, when I made a mistake at Stowe and clipped the wall. I pitted for a new front wing and got back into the points after everyone did their pit stops but I suffered an electrical problem. Luckily it was fixable and I came back in 8th place, which turned 7th after I passed Warwick. Then I had a gap of around 20 seconds to Capelli for the final point, I started catching up and was running 3 seconds behind with two laps to go when Prost retired; then Capelli had some problems and climbed into 5th place, getting the first points of the season for Brabham! Not enough to come out of pre-qualifying but happy to finish the race in the points.

Ahead it was a three way battle between Piquet, Prost and Senna but Prost retired and Senna needed an extra pitstop so Piquet took the win comfortably; second in a row for Lotus!

Stream: https://www.youtube.com/live/SUdnWgk7_rQ?feature=share
Aerond
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Aerond »

Story of the race: Pretty lonely race given the gaps between the Judd engine and those engines of the top teams. I did a bad start and that kept me well entertained for the first few laps catching up with Brundle and then passing him and building enough of a small gap to Gugelmin not to be worried about him. Then both of them retired and ahead all the cars were too far so my race basically consisted in keeping my 9th place and waiting. The car anyways expired but wouldn't have capitalised on anything since both McLaren, Williams, Lotus and Benetton cars finished.
Ahead Senna had a relatively calm win after Prost spun early in the race and later Piquet ran into problems, so no real competition.

Stream: https://www.youtube.com/live/eMt19qepBUg?feature=share
Aerond
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Aerond »

Story of the race: Fantastic qualifying with a 3rd place, which I kept at the start of the race as Boutsen passed me and Caffi like a rocketship. Then I clearly couldn't keep the pace of the Williams with the new tyres and began to drop quickly, with a big train of cars forming behind, but on lap 15 the gap stabilized Then, all of a sudden, both Williams retired within a couple laps of each other and I found myself leading the Grand Prix!
This would last for 20 laps until my pitstop on lap 38, which was a bit slow, so I dropped behind Nannini. Again, on new tyres the Benetton driver opened a gap but then after a few laps I started to reduce it and was riding comfortably when the car slid a bit on turn 4 and I ended on the gravel trap, luckily without consequences but now 9th. I gained a few places thanks to some retirements and was chasing Caffi when the transmission broke, so a good chunk of points was again lost.
Satoru Nakajima took advantage of all the retirements from the lead and won his 2nd race of the season! The strangest of podiums was completed with Eddie Cheever, getting his first points of the season, and Pierluigi Martini, who scored first ever points for Minardi in style!
The McLaren drivers took the weekend off and only Prost could close the gap a bit in the classification to Piquet, Boutsen and Patrese.

Stream: https://www.youtube.com/live/o_Oz2Au2bMM?feature=share
Aerond
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Aerond »

Story of the race: My race was really short. Did a very good start but I set my car for the wet so I was slow in the straights. At the kemmel straight Gugelmin pushed me off to the grass and in the wet naturally my car spun, Pirro collected my rear front wheel. Somehow I kept the car moving forward but spun later and Modena collected me this time, taking the other right wheel and that was it. The rest of the race was total chaos in the wet, with several cars going off at different points of the track, Bruxelles being the most delicate point. Senna lost a lot of time in one of these excursions handling the win to Prost. Behind, it became a survival race and incredibly for Brabham Brundle made it to the finish line this time and brought home two very valuable points.

Stream: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xv6jbBk ... nel=D.I.G.

Race related RNG:

Unluckily Nelson Piquet suffered a heavy crash during the Belgian Grand Prix, with the Italian Grand Prix being two weeks away, it's not clear whether Piquet will be able to make it in time
1-80: Piquet is actually fine as having happened in the rain meant he wasn't driving as fast as usual.
81-90: The impact has happened in the same ankle as his accident in 1987 at Imola, and needs 3 weeks to recover, missing Monza.
91-96: After further inspection the doctors determine it looks a bit more serious and Piquet misses the rest of the European season.
97-99: He suffers a concussion and his 1987 double vision problems come back, so he decides to rest until 1990
100: Piquet decides he's won enough in F1 and that he shouldn't take any more risks, so he calls it on his F1 career.

This triggers a 2nd RNG, who will replace Nelson?

1-70: Martin Donnelly has been doing intensive testing for the team, so he's very much the preferred choice.
71-95: Johnny Herbert has already been driving for another Camel sponsored team with good results.
96-99: Camel insist to get another driver from their poll and Lotus calls Eric Bernard.
100: The team brings Johnny Dumfries back from sportscars since he knows the circuits and has been testing the Benetton.

Peter Warr does the sensible thing and calls Donnelly. Eric Bernard will drive the car at Estoril though, since Herbert has already been called by Tyrrell to cover for Alesi and Donnelly is also competing at F3000 that weekend.
Aerond
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Aerond »

story of the race: I had a miserable race where I broke a front wing at the beginning, then another around lap 10, then strolled around the back trying to catch the Eurobruns for over 30 laps before the transmission failed again.
At the front, Senna won comfortably from Boutsen and won his first world title! Nigel Mansell finally finished another race for Ferrari, and Martin Donnelly scored a point in his first outing for Lotus.

Stream:
https://youtube.com/live/3SdYQtR6rMA
Aerond
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Aerond »

Story of the race: Fantastic qualifying where I put the car less than one tenth off pole. At the start of the race I was passed by Prost, but quickly became clear that I could follow the McLarens. I could pass Prost at the beginning of lap 8 shortly before he retired, and then went after Senna, passing the brazilian for the lead on lap 21. On lap 23 I spun and Senna ran into my car as I was too eager to recover from the spin fast, and lost my rear left. Tried to reach the pits but was impossible and had to retire ... Senna then of course went on, recovered and won the race with ease. Another point of Minardi puts the italian team safely out of pre-q for 1990.

Stream:
https://www.youtube.com/live/LScnmrr9Aw8?feature=share
Aerond
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Aerond »

Story of the race:
Had a great qualifying and at the start I settled for 3rd behind Senna and Berger. I had a spin on lap 21 but still could hold to 3rd place which turned into 2nd when Berger retired. At the pitstop I lost the place to Mansell who performed a perfectly timed undercut but could never start the chase because the gearbox folded just a few hundred meters into the 2nd stint. Brundle then proceeded to bottle his race from points scoring places. Only two races to never have to drive this unreliable car ever again xD

Stream: https://www.youtube.com/live/2qHIUwN-elo?feature=share
Aerond
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Aerond »

Story of the race: I started well but got tipped over by Nannini at the exit of turn 2, so I was demoted to last. I recovered up to 11th by Lap 18, but that's as far as the gearbox went this time. Brundle also retired with gearbox issues.

Up front, Prost crashed into Warwick stupidly when lapping the Arrows, and Honda chief's horror faces happened when Donnelly spun while running 3rd behind Patrese shortly after the pitstop and when Senna's engine folded a few laps to the end. Nakajima also lost the battle for a podium place. Alliot could have scored for Lola but his car also failed very near the end, so Gugelmin picked his first point of 1989.

Stream: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uzm98xs ... nel=D.I.G.
Aerond
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Aerond »

Story of the race: I only had a non-miserable day for about 10 seconds when I did a good start and pulled on first place out of the first chicane. Then I was swiftly overtaken by Senna and I went off at east terrace and damaged the front wing, so I went from 1st to last in 2.5 kms. Then I climbed to 17th rather quickly when I suffered an electric failure, so 2nd stop of the day. I was keeping my driving relatively clean and so I did until the pitstops, but with the lower fuel load the car became really unstable and that started a series of spins, and a crash with Prost at turn 1 which got me doing the whole track on 3 wheels. I was just banking on retirements several laps when just at the 2 hour mark I spun for good, with Patrese running into my car.

Up front, Senna retired while holding the lead and Satoru did survive all the madness around to win his third race of the season and the fourth for Lotus!

Stream: https://www.youtube.com/live/4YADRlwq8eM?feature=share