Biggest Egg on Face Moments ever

The place for anything and everything else to do with F1 history, different forms of motorsport, and all other randomness
Alextrax52

Biggest Egg on Face Moments ever

Post by Alextrax52 »

Thinking of last years Chinese Grand Prix where Mercedes Doomsday Prophets won ROTR what do you think are some of the biggest Egg on Face moments ever?

For example Eric Broadly saying Lola would defeat the new Stewart team at qualifying in Australia 1997 and we all know how that turned out :lol:
Cynon

Re: Biggest Egg on Face Moments ever

Post by Cynon »

Me saying to a friend that Bourdais was going to contend for the win in the Indy 500 this year.

Then he pitted.

... and hit the pit wall.
Check out the TM Master Cup Series on Youtube...
...or check out my random retro IndyCar clips.

Dr. Helmut Marko wrote: Finally we have an Australian in the team who can start a race well and challenge Vettel.
good_Ralf

Post by good_Ralf »

BAR in 1999. Enough said.
Check out the position of the sun on 2 August at 20:08 in my garden

Allard Kalff in 1994 wrote:OH!! Schumacher in the wall! Right in front of us, Michael Schumacher is in the wall! He's hit the pitwall, he c... Ah, it's Jos Verstappen.
Gerudo Dragon

Post by Gerudo Dragon »

Me saying that the IndyCar title had been won by Castroneves before Houston.

Me saying that the BTCC title had been won by Jordan before Brands race 2.

:|
Trump 2016
SgtPepper

Post by SgtPepper »

Cynon wrote:Me saying to a friend that Bourdais was going to contend for the win in the Indy 500 this year.

Then he pitted.

... and hit the pit wall.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2xl6QV85N7g

Actually searching for this, I came across a video I'm pretty sure you uploaded 4 years ago - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4A1vYLmKwJE :lol:

Also, not sure if it counts as egg-on-face, but I absolutely loved Kimi's off track excursion at Interlagos last year.
F1 claim to fame - Offending Karun Chandhok 38 minutes into the Korean Grand Prix's FP1.

PSN: SgtPepperThe1st
Onxy Wrecked

Post by Onxy Wrecked »

I thought Clint Bowyer had no chance of winning at Richmond last year after the spin especially after Denny Hamlin running the same strategy ran out with 16 laps to go. Then to see Clint in Victory Lane... Yeah, that's egg on face for sure.
More Moneytron, more problems for Onyx!
A flock of Kroghs appear on the NASCAR Track and cause caw-tions!
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

I like the way Snrub thinks!
Cynon

Post by Cynon »

SgtPepper wrote:Actually searching for this, I came across a video I'm pretty sure you uploaded 4 years ago - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4A1vYLmKwJE :lol:

Yeah, that's mine. :P
Check out the TM Master Cup Series on Youtube...
...or check out my random retro IndyCar clips.

Dr. Helmut Marko wrote: Finally we have an Australian in the team who can start a race well and challenge Vettel.
Chrisdude

Post by Chrisdude »

BAR 1999 is an excellent shout good_Ralf. Winning their first race, that went well didn't it. How about Coulthard sticking "this year will definitely be my year" on repeat?!

Come to think of it, spinning on the parade lap at Monza and crashing in the pit lane in Adelaide are pretty much moments where egg met face too
Alextrax52

Post by Alextrax52 »

eurobrun on Turkington's return to the BTCC in 2013 wrote:Bathplug yeah, looking forward to the possible 4 way championship battle :D :D :D

If that didn't include Andrew Jordan then this has to count as an Egg on Face Moment
good_Ralf

Post by good_Ralf »

Chrisdude wrote:BAR 1999 is an excellent shout good_Ralf. Winning their first race, that went well didn't it. How about Coulthard sticking "this year will definitely be my year" on repeat?!

Come to think of it, spinning on the parade lap at Monza and crashing in the pit lane in Adelaide are pretty much moments where egg met face too

Allard Kalff in 1994 wrote:OH!! Schumacher in the wall! Right in front of us, Michael Schumacher is in the wall! He's hit the pitwall, he c... Ah, it's Jos Verstappen.
Aerospeed

Post by Aerospeed »

good_Ralf wrote:
Chrisdude wrote:BAR 1999 is an excellent shout good_Ralf. Winning their first race, that went well didn't it. How about Coulthard sticking "this year will definitely be my year" on repeat?!

Also hitting the pit wall in Adelaide '95 was egg-worthy as well :lol:
Mistakes in potatoes will ALWAYS happen :P
Trulli bad puns...
IN JAIL NO ONE CAN HEAR YOU SCREAM
Wallio
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Wallio »

I once spent a frantic 2-3 minutes in the staging lanes desperately try to start my car, trying everything in the book to no avail........before realizing the fuel pump was off! I had to hurry through the burnout and launch procedures so I wouldn't be timed out, and ended up losing.

I also once tried to launch the car in second gear, with predictable results. Doubly funny as the Nova only has a two-speed, so when I went to grab second.......yeah.

I'd say RBR for the whole Webber-Silverstone 2010 debacle. Regardless of who's side your one, that looked bad.

Ditto Ferrari's "Fernando is faster than you"
Professional Historian/Retired Drag Racer/Whiskey Enthusiast

"He makes the move on the outside, and knowing George as we do, he's probably on the radio right now telling the team how great he is." - James Hinchcliffe on George Russell
dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

There is one egg-on-face moment that can never be beaten, now or any time in the future.

It's the time Alan Jones challenged Juan Pablo Montoya to an omelette eating contest.
James Allen, on his favourite F1 engine of all time:
"...the Life W12, I can't describe the noise to you, but imagine filling your dustbin with nuts and bolts, and then throwing it down the stairs, it was something akin to that!"
kevinbotz

Post by kevinbotz »

A more recent nomination.

Martin Whitmarsh, at the unveiling of the MP4-28, said: "Whether it be downforce or other parameters that affect performance, this car is responding very well. The drivers and engineers had a very deep technical review yesterday and you couldn't help coming out of that thinking we've got a competitive car."
Klon, on Alt-F1 wrote: I like to think it's more poker than gambling, though.
Shizuka

Post by Shizuka »

I think BAR's 2000 Australian GP could count as one.

Code: Select all

14:03   RaikkonenPlsCare   There's some water in water
Alextrax52

Post by Alextrax52 »

Shizuka wrote:I think BAR's 2000 Australian GP could count as one.

Don't you mean 1999? The year where BAR stupidly claimed they would take pole and win the race. 2000 was where they came 4th and 6th
Shizuka

Post by Shizuka »

Freeze-O-Kimi wrote:
Shizuka wrote:I think BAR's 2000 Australian GP could count as one.

Don't you mean 1999? The year where BAR stupidly claimed they would take pole and win the race. 2000 was where they came 4th and 6th

For the rest of the grid, it could count as one - a pointless team immediately scored 4 points.

Code: Select all

14:03   RaikkonenPlsCare   There's some water in water
ibsey

Post by ibsey »

I seem to recall Jaguar also had a bit of hype surrounding them prior to their debut at the start of 2000. Only to have both car out by lap 6!

Not only that but I seem to recall reading in his autobiography, JYS stating how arrogant the Ford bosses were acting when they had first announced that they had brought the Stewart team during the weekend of 1999 Canadian GP. Basically saying in front of JYS, things like 'an F1 team shouldn't be run like that' etc. No doubt JYS took a wee bit of pleasure seeing them fail miserably.

How embarrassed must Lewis Hamilton have been after Liegate in early 2009?

Same thing with the people who dismissed a Turbo engine from ever becoming competitive in F1...only to be shown the way home by one at the 1979 French GP.
Coming January 2019 a new F1 book revisiting 1994.

Pre order it here; www.performancepublishing.co.uk/1994-th ... eason.html

The book's website; www.1994f1.com/
SgtPepper

Post by SgtPepper »

F1 claim to fame - Offending Karun Chandhok 38 minutes into the Korean Grand Prix's FP1.

Wallio
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Wallio »

Jag at Monte Carlo in 2004 was it? When Klein lost that HUGE diamond off his nosecone.
Professional Historian/Retired Drag Racer/Whiskey Enthusiast

"He makes the move on the outside, and knowing George as we do, he's probably on the radio right now telling the team how great he is." - James Hinchcliffe on George Russell
good_Ralf

Post by good_Ralf »

Wallio wrote:Jag at Monte Carlo in 2004 was it? When Klein lost that HUGE diamond off his nosecone.

And Webber retired in the other Cat through an atypical mechanical failure.

DOSBoot

Post by DOSBoot »

SgtPepper wrote:

Enough of this madness! I summon a challenger!

Proud supporter of the United States 2nd Amendment.

2012 Predicament Predictions Champion.
SgtPepper

Post by SgtPepper »

DOSBoot wrote:
SgtPepper wrote:

Noooooo! Ms Watson is the only positive thing I seem to have brought to the forums as of yet! I need to rope in Dr Baker for backup here!

Back on topic, I have a very strong candidate for biggest egg on face moment ever. Cast your minds back to 1995, what was the most amusing moment you can recall? Got it yet?

Then imagine a wonderful reminder on the BBC website by a man with absolutely zero self awareness...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/24568089

Voila, c'est parfait.

DOSBoot

Post by DOSBoot »

SgtPepper wrote:
DOSBoot wrote:
SgtPepper wrote:

Noooooo! Ms Watson is the only positive thing I seem to have brought to the forums as of yet! I need to rope in Dr Baker for backup here!

Back on topic, I have a very strong candidate for biggest egg on face moment ever. Cast your minds back to 1995, what was the most amusing moment you can recall? Got it yet?

Then imagine a wonderful reminder on the BBC website by a man with absolutely zero self awareness...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/24568089

Voila, c'est parfait.

You cannot resist the epicness that is Nicolas Cage.

Anyways. How about Renault in 1983. So confident that they would win the championship, only for Prost's engine to blow up in the final round.

good_Ralf

Post by good_Ralf »

DOSBoot wrote:Anyways. How about Renault in 1983. So confident that they would win the championship, only for Prost's engine to blow up in the final round.

Renault then sacked Prost and subsequently never won again in their 1980s incarnation! I also believe Renault employees torched Prost's Mercedes-Benz and Alain decided after that to move to Switzerland.

DOSBoot

Post by DOSBoot »

good_Ralf wrote:
DOSBoot wrote:Anyways. How about Renault in 1983. So confident that they would win the championship, only for Prost's engine to blow up in the final round.

Renault then sacked Prost and subsequently never won again in their 1980s incarnation! I also believe Renault employees torched Prost's Mercedes-Benz and Alain decided after that to move to Switzerland.

You'd thought working for Guy Ligier was bad.

dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

SgtPepper wrote:Noooooo! Ms Watson is the only positive thing I seem to have brought to the forums as of yet! I need to rope in Dr Baker for backup here!

It can get awkward for you if I do this...

watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

As mentioned in another thread, the 2002 US GP finish was a massive egg on face moment. Schumi going for a photo finish with Rubens and accidentally gifting him the win by 0.01 seconds.

Talking of Nicolas Cage, this will always be brilliant: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xP1-oquwoL8 (warning: LOTS of swears)
Watka - you know, the swimming horses guy
ibsey

Post by ibsey »

The FIA must have felt like tools after the 2003 Brazilian GP. Remember that regulation aimed at cutting costs, where teams were only allowed to bring one wet-weather tyre compound to the race. IIRC they had to delay the start of that race because the tyres the Bridgestone teams brought were deemed unsuitable for the torrential conditions. Then they got the podium wrong.

Also having the advertising hoardings falling onto the track (& actually onto Alesi's car whislt he was on a hot lap) during the quali session in 2000, couldn't have reflected well for the organizers either.
Coming January 2019 a new F1 book revisiting 1994.

Pre order it here; www.performancepublishing.co.uk/1994-th ... eason.html

The book's website; www.1994f1.com/
Har1MAS1415

Post by Har1MAS1415 »

Michael Masi, Abu Dhabi 2021, nuff said.