Scrub Era F1: 1991 - Survival of the Richest

The place for non-canon series, including all series that contain minimal or no references at all to the RWRS universe
Aislabie

Post by Aislabie »

1990 - A New Decade Begins - Forum thread - LINK

1990 Wiki page - LINK
1991 Wiki page - LINK

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

The 1990 Formula One season saw the largest grid of competitors the sport has ever had, and one team has already gone out of business. This year seems destined to see more of the same, even as new teams (run by Eddie Jordan and Fernando Gonzalez Luna) and manufacturers (Ilmor, Porsche) vie to get onto the overcrowded grid.

Will Alain Prost be able to fight through the crowd for his third-straight Championship, or will a new World Champion emerge?

Link in case embed does not work

Waiting List
  • Billyoswarit
  • Bleu
  • Dr Baker
  • HawkAussie
Rules

World Championship
- 9 points shall be scored for a win, 6 for 2nd, 4 for 3rd, 3 for 4th, 2 for 5th and 1 for 6th.
- New for 1990, all points scored by a Driver will count towards the World Drivers Championship.
- All points scored by a Constructor will count towards the World Constructors Championship.
- There shall be no more than 16 races held for the World Championship.

Pre-Qualifying
- The top 10 teams (20 cars) from the 1989 World Constructors Championship start the season exempt from Pre-Qualifying.
- If there are more than 30 entries for a Grand Prix, then the remaining entries go into Pre-Qualifying. The top 10 Pre-Qualifying cars progress to Main Qualifying, in which they will compete for the 26 places on the starting grid.
- All one-car teams are automatically entered into Pre-Qualifying.
- From the second race onwards, the top 10 two-car teams in the World Constructors Championship are automatically entered into Main Qualifying. If there are fewer than 10 points-scoring teams, then the remaining automatic places in Main Qualifying are decided based on the previous season's Championship standings.
- The Spreadsheet will be updated with any changes to Main Qualifying and Pre-Qualifying teams before each race.

Drivers
- Drivers are either "Salaried Drivers" or "Pay Drivers"
- Salaried Drivers have a suggested salary listed; teams can offer more or less than this value, but this affects their RNG odds.
- If a Salaried Driver is sacked partway through the season, their team will be expected to pay the remainder of their contract. If they are injured, then their salary will be covered by insurance.
- "Pay Drivers" pay a predetermined amount; you cannot ask them for any more money. If a Pay Driver is offered a salary, they cease to be a pay driver for the rest of their career.
- Pay Drivers pay their money up front for the agreed amount of races; should they be fired before completing their full contract, they will be repaid the difference.
- A maximum of one driver may be offered a two-year contract; one-year extensions can be offered during the pre-season of what would be the driver's final contracted year.
- Teams may not use more than four drivers in a season without specific dispensation from the FIA (me), and cannot fire a driver before they have been entered to a race weekend.
- If a team has a "Current Budget" of less than £500,000 at the time of the main Driver RNG. The team may choose to set a reserve price for one of its race seats. This would see their team automatically withdraw their bid if the driver in question didn't bring enough money.

Chassis
- Teams can either build a new chassis for 1990, or update their 1989 chassis for the new season.
- Should a team choose to buy a customer chassis, they will earn World Constructors Championship prize money for that chassis.
- Chassis may be sold and traded from team to team, but may only be used if a team chooses to "Make It Your Own". If in doubt, check with Aislabie.
- (REVISED FOR 1991) - The "Make It Your Own", and "B-Spec Chassis" options refer to the original tier of the chassis, and not the purchase price or the cost of previous such upgrades.
- If you wish to upgrade your chassis in-season, you can invest in a B-Spec chassis, but only if you have the available funds. (This is in place of a race-by-race upgrade system.)

Engines
- All teams must buy an engine supply for the season.
- Teams which build their own engines have control over whether or not they sell their engines to customer teams.
- Should a team choose to change their engine supplier mid-season, they will have to buy a new full-season engine contract on top of the one they already have.
- (NEW FOR 1991) - If a factory team (such as Ferrari or Lamborghini) goes bankrupt, any teams being supplied with customer engines will be guaranteed their engine supply until the end of the season.

Tyres
- You will need tyres. Please budget for them.

Sponsors
- When signing a sponsor, you must specify which Tier Goal you intend to aim for.
- Sponsor money is paid up-front to help your team as soon as you sign your sponsor.
- Should you fail to achieve your sponsor goal over the course of the season, you will have to repay the sponsor and it will hurt your chances of signing with them again the following season.

Prize Money
- Most prize money will be paid for World Constructors Championship positions at the end of the season.
- Prize money for race wins (£50,000 per race) will be paid out at the end of the race.
- F1 Indoor Trophy prize money is paid out immediately after the Trophy; teams can only enter the Trophy if they have the money available to do so.

Going Bankrupt
- Your team will go bankrupt if, at the end of the pre-season, you are unable to pay the FIA Entry Fees (which include travel costs). For a one-car team this is £300,000 and for a two-car team this is £500,000.
- Your team will also go bankrupt if they do not manage to build a car, consisting of adequate chassis, engine(s) and tyres, by the first race of the season.

Protest Procedure (NEW FOR 1991)
- If you wish to protest a perceived rule breakage to the FIA, you can do so using the PROTEST FORM.
- Protests are subject to an FIA Arbitration Fee of £10,000 in order to eliminate frivolous protests that would waste the authorities' time. This fee must be paid in order for a protest to be made, and a team cannot go into debt to pay it.
- The team lodging a protest has the option of suggesting possible means for redress as a part of their protest, although the FIA will not be bound by their suggestion.

Modifying the Rules
- I have probably forgotten something; if this is the case, I will edit the rules and make a post to announce whatever it is I am adding or changing.
- From 1990 onwards, I take on the FIA's role of deciding on rule changes and the like. New and revised rules will be indicated.

My full thanks to Pasta, from whom I have taken extensive inspiration, and to both Pasta and Hermann for proof-reading my series spreadsheet ahead of the 1990 season. My thanks also to everyone who participated in the 1990 season for their efforts and patience.
Last edited by Aislabie on 18 May 2023, 12:24, edited 7 times in total.
Aislabie

Re: Scrub-Era F1: 1991 - Survival of the Richest

Post by Aislabie »

It's now time to claim and/or retain your teams, as well as to name your sponsor choices for the upcoming season. Please follow the general pattern of this form to make your claims:

- - - - - - - - - -

Rial Racing (Aislabie)
I confirm that I will be retaining Rial for the 1991 season.

Sponsor choices
  1. Porsche (* * *)
  2. Braun (* *)
  3. Lapidus (* *)
  4. Epson (* *)
- - - - - - - - - -

Please specify both your chosen sponsors, and the tier goal that you intend to aim for in your bids. Remember that all RNGs will use the First Choice First method, so place your bids accordingly.

Finally, as CarloSpace and GT_Forti have both expressed an interest in specific teams, they will have first refusal to claim those teams.

Good luck everyone!
This Could Be You

Post by This Could Be You »

I will prolong my stewardship of the Footwork Project Four concern, and wish to renew our focussed and dynamic commerical partnership with Footwork if said party remains on board going forward, highlighting our commitment with a 'four star' tier bid.
Your Signature Here

Named after HRT, now on HRT
Butterfox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Butterfox »

Ligier (Butterfox)
I confirm running Ligier this year as well.

Sponsor choices
Gitanes (tier 2)
Marlboro (tier 2)
West (tier 2)
Elf (tier 3)
Venturi (tier 3)
I don't know what i want and i want it now!
Forti
Location: The Pacific time zone, the most rejectful time zone of them all

Post by Forti »

Gonna take Fondmetal Larrousse.

Sponsor bids

Porsche (3 stars)
West (3 stars)
Gitanes (4 stars, we are kinda sorta French!)
Venturi (2 stars)
7Up (2 stars)
Braun (2 stars)
Goodyear (1 star)
Pirelli (1 star)

(As you can see from my lack of bids of Fondmetal to sponsor themselves, I do not to want to run the Fomet cars after how crap they were in 1990)
Last edited by Forti on 05 Dec 2022, 01:20, edited 5 times in total.
Aislabie wrote: Oh that's another thing, if you hang around with us it will completely reshape your perception of Mario as a character.
It would be funny if FortiWinks returned from his absence only to find out that I'm the Forti in town now.
Collieafc

Post by Collieafc »

UPDATE - Tyrrell

Tyrrell (Collieafc)
I confirm that I will be retaining Tyrrell for the 1991 season.

Sponsor choices

1. Jaegermeister (400k tier)
2. West (400k tier)
3. Lapidus (200k tier)
4. 7 Up (200k tier)
5. Braun (200k tier)
Last edited by Collieafc on 06 Dec 2022, 00:13, edited 1 time in total.
DanielPT wrote:Life usually expires after 400 meters and always before reaching 2 laps or so. In essence, Life is short.
Kinnikuniverse

Post by Kinnikuniverse »

Benetton will continue and hopefully be a more consistent front runner this time.

Sponsor:

1. Benetton (Tier 2)
Last edited by Kinnikuniverse on 05 Dec 2022, 18:26, edited 1 time in total.
CarloSpace
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by CarloSpace »

There is a new Walter Brun in town. Let's burn this team down!

EuroBrun will qualify this season so sponsor (* *) thanks!
Last edited by CarloSpace on 06 Dec 2022, 08:03, edited 1 time in total.
GreenMoonRising

Post by GreenMoonRising »

I'd like to join the waiting list (preferably taking Jordan).
takagi_for_the_win

Post by takagi_for_the_win »

Could I also go on the waiting list please Aislabie?
TORA! TORA! TORA!
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

Team: Lamborghini MRD
Sponsor: Lamborghini (***)

As per last season, engines will be available to purchase. We will supply a maximum of three customer teams, and subject to bids.
Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
Kinnikuniverse

Post by Kinnikuniverse »

Ataxia wrote: 06 Dec 2022, 12:29 Team: Lamborghini MRD
Sponsor: Lamborghini (***)

As per last season, engines will be available to purchase. We will supply a maximum of three customer teams, and subject to bids.
Benetton confirms that a deal has been agreed with Lamborghini to supply their engines to us for the upcoming season in exchange for our B190 Chassis.
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

Williams (Rob Dylan)
I confirm that I will be retaining Williams for the 1991 season. Frank and Patrick are desperately shuffling through paperwork trying to work out where all the money went.

Sponsor choices
- Marlboro (****)
- Canon (****)
- Gitanes (****) We believe that with Renault engines we can bring glory to the French people in our own way. We just need money :D
- West (****)
Murray Walker at the 1997 Austrian Grand Prix wrote:The other [Stewart] driver, who nobody's been paying attention to, because he's disappointing, is Jan Magnussen.
Felipe Nasr - the least forgettable F1 driver!
Dom_Wings

Post by Dom_Wings »

McLaren will return for another Ron Dennis-less season.

It would like to continue its fresh & successful partnership with Camel in a five-star deal worthy of its prestige.
Join the GPR Discord server! https://discord.com/invite/6YDQ3aV
Shawn040217

Post by Shawn040217 »

Arrows will continue unabated into 1991.
We shall be bidding for the following sponsors:

Epson (Tier C)
Braun (Tier D)
Jagermeister (Tier D)
7up (Tier D)
Bleu

Post by Bleu »

I will stay, have to consider options for some time.
Frogfoot9013

Post by Frogfoot9013 »

I shall continue to run Ferrari, will post plans for the future later.
James Hunt, commentating on the 1991 German Grand Prix wrote:The Benettons looking very smart together on the track, mostly because they're both going so slowly.
Aislabie

Scrub-Era F1: 1991 - SNAG YOURSELF A TEAM

Post by Aislabie »

I would like everyone to know that I am accepting applications for the following teams:
  • Image BMS Scuderia Italia - One of the last true privateer teams in F1; had a solid year in 1990.
  • Image/Image Eddie Jordan Racing - A plucky team on its way up from Formula 3000, this would favour someone with a creative approach to loophole-finding. Will not join the grid without a manager,
  • Image GLAS - A cash-strapped entry from a hopeful Mexican businessman, this one is a real blank slate. Will not join the grid without a manager,
  • Image Leyton House Racing - A reasonably wealthy team with a built-in sponsorship deal, arguably the most user-friendly team available.
  • Image Onyx F1 Team - A cash-strapped team that had more than their share of bad luck in 1990.
  • Image Osella Squadra Corse - The cash-strapped Italian backmarker is fighting for survival this year.
Priority will be given to the following users who are already on the waiting list:
  • Billyoswarit
  • Dr Baker
  • GB
  • HawkAussie
  • Kevinbotz
  • Novitopoli
In the event of us getting more applications than available teams, I'll run it as an RNG to see who gets which team so please list your teams in order of preference if you would be happy with more than one of the options.
Last edited by Aislabie on 12 Dec 2022, 11:33, edited 1 time in total.
Aislabie

Post by Aislabie »

On the Discord, GB has put forward the following choices:
  1. Jordan
  2. Leyton House
Kevinbotz has put forward the following choice:
  1. GLAS
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

I will also consider GLAS.
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
Aislabie

Post by Aislabie »

Due to their managers' real-life commitments, two further teams have become available for the coming season:
Aislabie wrote: 11 Dec 2022, 22:11
  • Image BMS Scuderia Italia - One of the last true privateer teams in F1; had a solid year in 1990.
  • Image Onyx F1 Team - A cash-strapped team that had more than their share of bad luck in 1990.
As this means the number of teams available is enough to furnish everyone on the waiting list, I am moving the process over to first-come first-serve for those already on said list.
dr-baker wrote: 12 Dec 2022, 07:01 I will also consider GLAS.
Unfortunately that means Baker, you miss out on GLAS. However, Leyton House, Onyx, Osella and Scuderia Italia are all available
novitopoli
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by novitopoli »

I'll take Scuderia Italia
sw3ishida wrote:Jolyon Palmer brought us closer as a couple, for which I am grateful.

Ataxia wrote:
Londoner wrote:Something I've thought about - what happens to our canon should we have a worldwide recession or some other outside event?

We'll be fine. It's Canon, non Kodak.
Bleu

Post by Bleu »

Minardi sponsor bids:

Lucchini (200 000)
Lapidus (200 000)
Pirelli (100 000)
Goodyear (100 000)
DigitDan7

Post by DigitDan7 »

Officially confirming my return as Lotus's manager.

Lotus sponsor bids for 1991 are, in order of preference:
Epson (400k)
Lapidus (200k)
7 Up (200k)
Braun (200k)
Pirelli (100k)
takagi_for_the_win

I'd like to put myself forward for Leyton House; I did ask to go on the waiting list Aisy, not sure if you saw it though!
TORA! TORA! TORA!
Forti
Location: The Pacific time zone, the most rejectful time zone of them all

Post by Forti »

takagi_for_the_win wrote: 12 Dec 2022, 20:52 I did ask to go on the waiting list Aisy, not sure if you saw it though!
Yep, same case for GreenMoon.
Aislabie wrote: Oh that's another thing, if you hang around with us it will completely reshape your perception of Mario as a character.
It would be funny if FortiWinks returned from his absence only to find out that I'm the Forti in town now.
NickyDustyOwl

Post by NickyDustyOwl »

I to would like to be put on the waiting list. Oscella and Onyx seem like teams I'd be interested in
Hermann95
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Hermann95 »

Just confirming Zakspeed to return here.

Sponsors:
1. Porsche 3-Star
2. Braun 3-Star
3. 7-Up 2-star
Last edited by Hermann95 on 17 Dec 2022, 13:58, edited 1 time in total.
Aislabie

Post by Aislabie »

takagi_for_the_win wrote: 12 Dec 2022, 20:52 I'd like to put myself forward for Leyton House; I did ask to go on the waiting list Aisy, not sure if you saw it though!
Oh goodness I knew I was forgetting somebody
takagi_for_the_win

Aislabie wrote: 13 Dec 2022, 18:11
takagi_for_the_win wrote: 12 Dec 2022, 20:52 I'd like to put myself forward for Leyton House; I did ask to go on the waiting list Aisy, not sure if you saw it though!
Oh goodness I knew I was forgetting somebody
Consider yourself struck from the Christmas card list
TORA! TORA! TORA!
Aerond
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Aerond »

I would like to enter the waiting list; I can't not manage a team from my favourite era of F1
Tread lightly in ARWS. Every decision might be your last.
Aislabie

Sponsor bids deadline and other things

Post by Aislabie »

First of all, some good news! We welcome Aerond (Onyx), NickyDustyOwl (Osella) and Takagi_for_the_win (Leyton House) to the game, and complete our roster of 24 team managers.

- - -

Next up, some bad news:
EuroSport, 1990 Canadian Grand Prix coverage wrote: Image
Link for original video

"Another big story here this weekend is about the GLAS Formula One team, the Mexican financed Formula One car being built by Mauro Forghieri. The car was supposed to be demonstrated here on Sunday, but the big story is that the man behind the project, Mr Gonzalez Luna, has disappeared. The team has got cheques that have bounced and the whole thing seems to be a very big mess.
Kevin, I will DM you about exactly what this means for your team and how you might want to proceed.

- - -

I also need to make everybody aware that the deadline for sponsor bids is 18:00 GMT on Thursday 22nd December; if there are no bids by the time I begin running the RNG, all remaining teams will have their sponsor bids autopiloted from those that are left.

The current situation on sponsor bids is as follows:

Link in case embed does not work

Remember, the RNG will be first-choice-first, the same as they always are for Scrub Era. Good luck!
novitopoli
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by novitopoli »

Scuderia Italia sponsor bids:

West (3*)
Jägermeister (3*)
Lucchini (2*)
Braun (2*)
Venturi (2*)
Lapidus (2*)
Pirelli (1*)
sw3ishida wrote:Jolyon Palmer brought us closer as a couple, for which I am grateful.

Ataxia wrote:
Londoner wrote:Something I've thought about - what happens to our canon should we have a worldwide recession or some other outside event?

We'll be fine. It's Canon, non Kodak.
Aerond
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Aerond »

Onyx sponsorship bids

1. Marlboro (3)
2. Lucchini (2)
3. Venturi (2)
4. Lapidus (2)
5. Epson (2)
6. Elf (2)
7. 7Up (2)
8. Goodyear (1)
Last edited by Aerond on 18 Dec 2022, 00:16, edited 1 time in total.
Tread lightly in ARWS. Every decision might be your last.
Frogfoot9013

Post by Frogfoot9013 »

Ferrari sponsor bids:
FIAT (five stars)
James Hunt, commentating on the 1991 German Grand Prix wrote:The Benettons looking very smart together on the track, mostly because they're both going so slowly.
Frentzen127

Post by Frentzen127 »

Sponsors for Coloni in order of preference:

Lucchini (200k)
Porsche (400k)
West (200k)
DEPORTIVO CA... pfft hahaha can't say that with a straight face!
Misses Minardi dearly. :(
NickyDustyOwl

Post by NickyDustyOwl »

Osella Sponsor Bids:

Porsche (3)
Marlboro (3)
Jagermeister (3)
Lapidus (2)
West (2)
Braun (2)
7Up (2)
Goodyear (1)
Aislabie

News from Mexico

Post by Aislabie »

Autosport wrote: GLAS team receives financial lifeline from Mexican oil company

Mexico's state oil company has stumped up the cash to support a national F1 team

The beleaguered GLAS Formula One team has recently received good news: the Mexican state oil giant Pemex has agreed to continue sponsoring what it envisages to be the "Mexican national racing team", despite the suspicious disappearance of eponymous team founder Gonzalez Luna. However, a condition of the arrangement was that the team henceforth be renamed in order to distance itself from the Luna affair. Thus, the new team will be known as "Escuderia Pemex" when it joins the grid in 1991.

The team facilities will be continued to be based in Modena, Italy, under the auspices of Italians Leopoldo Canettoli and Mauro Forghieri, who will be relieved at the news of...

*snip*
takagi_for_the_win

Leyton House will, the shock of literally everyone, try to get the 3-star Leyton House deal.
TORA! TORA! TORA!
Gertrand Bachot

Post by Gertrand Bachot »

Team: Jordan

Sponsor bids:
Marlboro (4 stars)
West (4 stars)
7up (2 stars)