Alt-Mario Kart 1998: The Marioverse of Madness

The place for non-canon series, including all series that contain minimal or no references at all to the RWRS universe
Rob Dylan

Alt-Mario Kart 1998: The Marioverse of Madness

Post by Rob Dylan »

The Marioverse enters 1998 with a four-time consecutive champion in the #1 kart. Wario Jumpman has seen unprecedent success in the series, and enters the new season looking for yet another trophy to add to his cabinet. How shall he and the grid fare this coming year?

The News
Lewis Hammerton has retained his seat at BMW for 1998, but all other seats are vacant and unassigned. This means we could see a huge shuffle on the grid, from everyone downwards. Diddy Kong Racing, now officially established as a rival to the alt-Mario Kart series, is on the lookout for drivers to join its ranks in the coming season. For the former, we have 10 or a possible 12 seats up for grabs, as rumour abounds as to whether Peach Toadstool will re-enter the series as an owner-driver.

Kameklaren enters the new season with its own setup and in a huge amount of debt. Can they survive with their 1997 prize money and make it to success in the future?

The Entry List
Bowser Motor Works
#1 Wario Jumpman
#2 Lewis Hammerton
Hammer Bros. Racing Team
#3 Foreman Spike
#4 Birdetta Birdo
Koopra Sport
#5 Kokkoro Toudou
#6 Larry Koopaling
Mitsuyoshi Buntai
#7 Dixie Kong
#8 Para Troopa
Kameklaren
#9 King Bobomb
#10 Conker T. Squirrel
Scuderia SSL Team
#11 Luigi Mario
#12 Baby Luigi / Daisy von Sarasaland
Peachific
#14 Peach Toadstool
#15 Toad Toadstool

The Calendar
Mushroom Cup: Luigi Raceway; Moo Moo Farm; Koopa Troopa Beach; Kalimari Desert
Flower Cup: Toad's Turnpike; Frappe Snowland; Choco Mountain; Mario Raceway
Star Cup: Wario Stadium; Sherbet Land; Royal Raceway; Bowser's Castle
Special Cup: DK's Jungle Parkway; Yoshi Valley; Banshee Boardwalk; Rainbow Road

The calendar remains the same as it did last year, and will continue as such for the coming years.

All official updates etc will be on this spreadsheet here.
Murray Walker at the 1997 Austrian Grand Prix wrote:The other [Stewart] driver, who nobody's been paying attention to, because he's disappointing, is Jan Magnussen.
Felipe Nasr - the least forgettable F1 driver!
Frogfoot9013

Re: Alt-Mario Kart 1998: The Marioverse of Madness

Post by Frogfoot9013 »

Mario Mario wrote: After the absolute farce that was the MK 'championship' last year, I see no reason why anyone would tune into it for another shambolic year, especially when there's a genuine alternative that is better in every measure - better drivers, better karts, better tracks, better racing, better officiating, better safety. There is no reason why one would want to just watch Wario dominate in an illegal kart against pissant opposition when one could always watch the one true karting championship, Diddy Kong Racing.
James Hunt, commentating on the 1991 German Grand Prix wrote:The Benettons looking very smart together on the track, mostly because they're both going so slowly.
Kinnikuniverse

Post by Kinnikuniverse »

Kamek Magikoopa will be desperately calling for pay drivers to contest the new season with our brand new Boogati engine.
Hammercat42

Post by Hammercat42 »

Hammer Bros. Racing Team will continue with Foreman Spike!

It's believed that this would be his last season before he retires as driver, but the team wouldn't miss him since he will keep his teammanagers job at HBRT.

The rumours for this season are that the second seat will be filled by a shy guy who's name is still unknown, but there are also some rumours that Foreman Spike will offer Birdetta Birdo an continuous contract for the team's second car.
:ugeek:
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

The news is coming in thick and fast.

Mitsuyoshi have announced a continuation of their late-season line-up from 1997. Para Troopa and Dixie Kong will stay with the team for another season, with Redsaurus publicly calling out the former for their lack of great results over the last year or so. The dinosaur has faith in the talent of his main driver, having had him in the team since 1996, but their patience at the top of Mitsuyoshi appears to be running out. Shall we see another mid-season driver change at Mitsuyoshi in 1998?

Meanwhile in DK Country, Mario has been pulling some strings to have this coming year's Diddy Kong Racing series have a whopping 13 races! All in an attempt to push back against Mario Kart, the current plan is to hold an exhibition race, which will also count towards the championship, before the season begins. The twist? The race takes place at Donut Plains, the site of both of Mario's wins in the series that carries his name. Legal matters notwithstanding, we'll see if this is a feasible option while their own driver entry list starts to fill up.

Kameklaren has managed to snatch up Conker T. Squirrel from Diddy Kong Racing, after the latter left in acrimony following a rather dubious season-long DSQ. While a contract with King Bobomb seems a formality, it has not yet been signed.
Murray Walker at the 1997 Austrian Grand Prix wrote:The other [Stewart] driver, who nobody's been paying attention to, because he's disappointing, is Jan Magnussen.
Butterfox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Butterfox »

Peach confirms she and her team will return and are looking for the best driver to pair her up with (preferrably royalty, nobility, knighthood or clerics class of people)

On the subject of mario jr. he will be a junior and development driver and will be able to run some tests in private in a safe environment with me as a mentor, to hone his skills to prepare him for future greatness. Mario can be assured his kid is in good hands.
I don't know what i want and i want it now!
DigitDan7

Post by DigitDan7 »

OFFICIAL ANNOUNCEMENT FROM POWERSTAR KOOPRA SPORT:

PowerStar Koopra Sport has just announced that team founder Koopa Troopa will be retiring as a driver, transitioning into his team principal role full time.

"I was already planning to retire this year, but if 1997 taught me anything, it's that my age is catching up to me, fast. Toad's results have been carrying the team these past two seasons & I can't drive like I used to. So I think it's time for me to step back & let someone else drive that kart."

"My replacement is Kokkoro Toudou, a young Koopa from my homeland. I've been scouting this past year back in the Koopa Kingdom to find my replacement, & I think she'll be a perfect fit for the team."

Regarding Toad's departure from the team, Koopa had this to say:

"I've got no hard feelings. The contract was always up to Toad's discretion & Peachcific looks like a promising team. I wish him luck in his new venture!"

(OOC: I pilfered the Koopa's name from a game I play a lot. If anyone wants to guess, here's a hint: she goes OxO.)
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

Further news:

Peachific does indeed announce its entrance to the sport after months of behind-the-scenes running and testing. With the #14 and #15 karts, Peach Toadstool has managed to snub the talented Toad Toadstool for her lineup in the coming season.

Koopa indeed has announced his retirement, and along with naming his apprentice Kokkoro Toudou to the first seat, is yet to name a replacement for Toad.

With Peachific also entering the sport with their branded Peachelin tyres, the MIA are stepping in to avoid any legal wrangling to put the sport in disrepute ala the Mario/Luigi scandal of 1993/4. Therefore Mitsuyoshi shall keep their tyres, but rename them to Yoshihama, while Peachific will take the Peachelin tyre name but bring a whole different tyre.

Kameklaren have finally got around to signing King Bobomb's contract for the coming season. Money troubles appear to no longer be plaguing the team as they look forward to the coming season.

Over at SSL, Luigi has officially entered, while we await Daisy's inevitable confirmation too.

And finally, at Diddy Kong Racing there have been two drivers to leave. Along with Conker T. Squirrel, Drum Stick has also left, and has been replaced in the roster list by Pauline Williams and Larry Koopaling, who both make their debut at Donut Plains.
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

The hero returns!

Scuderia Sarasaland Squadron Ligier Team have made a shock announcement, and that is that, with "intense tutoring", Daisy believes her and Luigi's son Luigi is ready for grand prix racing at the age of 2. He is being entered for the opening round at Luigi Raceway, with the option, if he is successful, to keep going for future rounds. Watch this space!
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

Further news:

Larry Koopaling, after his showing in the opening round of Diddy Kong Racing's 1998 season, has been seized by Koopra Sport as the team's other driver for the new season. He will therefore miss the rest of the DKR season and will be replaced in due time. Koopra Sport have also got their hands on the young Shy Guy as a third driver, reserve in case of need.

Shortly following the news, Diddy and Donkey Kong proudly announced that Whomp King, royalty of a far-off country nobody's heard of, would replace Larry when the second race of the year comes in a few months' time.

It means that, with Birdo to be inevitably announced as an HBRT driver again this year, we have all our seats filled for 1998, and can soon begin the racing proper.
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

Diddy Kong Racing Round 1 - Donut Plains

Welcome one and all, to the opening round of this year's Diddy Kong Racing championship. Choosing to forego the non-championship run of races as was seen in 1997, Mario Mario has decided to host the opening round as an exhibition piece, far away in the calendar from any of the other races. Critics claim this is a vain attempt to grab interest before this year's Mario Kart season begins. Mario Mario of course denies such claims, saying that February is the most exciting time of the year to host a race in Donut Plains. Donut Plains of course is the site of Mario Mario's two victories in the series that bears his name. Through much political wrangling, he's managed to get himself and the Diddy Kong Racing series at their first race outside of Donkey Kong Country.

The Mushroom Kingdom have not sanctioned this event in any way, having left the track disused since 1994 when the various accidents last occurred - most notably when Donkey Kong Jr suffered a career-ending crash. Despite this being an exhibition event, it will still count for the championship. Highly detailed map of the circuit below.

Mario Mario's home fans, who have not been able to see their countryman and hero race in almost two years, have flocked to the circuit in droves. This race promises to be something. I'm not sure what it will be, but let's see how it goes. In qualifying for the event, Mario had a disastrous run as his kart, usually bulletproof, was plagued with problems.

Instead, fellow showrunner DK3 took pole in 22 seconds. From front to back it was very close, however, and we expect an equally close-run thing in the race. Larry Koopaling especially impresses by taking third on debut. Shall we see Mario win from 15th? :alonso: Well it's a sunny day on race day, although it's still quite chilly this early in the year. Drivers are worried about the karts not making it up to temperature, but the DKR authorities have pooh-poohed those criticisms. The lights are on, off, and they're go go go! Or whatever the announcer says. Bumper Badger doesn't even move off of the line from second - his engine has been borked somehow! The other drivers race past him at full throttle. Bluesaurus and Mark Wiggler scythe around their opponents as some folks get caught behind Badger's stricken vehicle. Kremling and Pauline bump wheels in their avoidance, but both are still going. Larry Koopaling too seemed to have trouble off the line, and lost a lot of ground to his nearest rivals. What it did mean is that polesitter DK3 was utterly unchallenged during the first lap and sped off into the distance.

There's passing everywhere, and as they go into the second lap, Diddy Kong is right on the tail of Banjo-Kazooie who have taken second place. it doesn't seem like the karts are very much suited for this circuit, however. There's not much passing, and in fact most karts are following single-file behind the kart in front. It's making for some quite dull racing, and it's annoying the home fans who are watching Mario Mario languish down in 11th. There's brief drama as Diddy Kong's vehicle begins to conk out on the twisty section at the back. Some sort of problem, but his kart has completely given up. The rest of the karts finish the final lap and the whole race without so much as an overtake or incident. No passes at all are recorded on the final lap, and DK3 sails to a very easy victory.

Race Results

What promised to be a deathtrap of epic proportions instead turned out to be the dullest race in DKR's brief history.
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

Mario Kart Pre-Season Testing

We're here at Mario Raceway for the first (and probably only) test of the year! There are 14 karts now going after those four coveted points positions. It's a super sunny day at Mario Raceway as we get a better idea of the order of things in 1998. First of all, Toad got no running during the whole day, with his Peachific kart refusing to leave the pitlane throughout the testing session. His teammate Peach returns to grand prix racing after nearly two years and got some vital laps in. Kameklaren, rumoured to be on the verge of debt and bankruptcy, seem to be the slowest team right now, a full second off the front-running pace. There's no clear order from there on in, as the top five teams all seem interchangeable on pace. In the lead is Lewis Hammerton for BMW, whose time is only 0.06 seconds faster than Para Troopa in a seemingly revived Mitsuyoshi. Para has been given a lifeline from his team boss and looks to be delivering. Four-time champion Wario was third, just ahead of Foreman Spike. From there, as said, the middle all seems very mixed. Hammerton's kart blew up on the back straight and stopped there, causing a red flag. Birdo had a few moments in the gravel or on the grass, while debutant Kokkoro Toudou was almost beached in the sand while on a hot lap.

Testing Results
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

Mario Kart Round 1 - Luigi Raceway

Welcome one and all, to the opening race of the 1998 Mario Kart season! As is tradition, we begin our season at Luigi Raceway, built in honour of the guy who came last in the standings last year 1992 Mario Kart World Champion.

It's a very straightforward track, and very engine-dependant. Last year we saw a shock win from Birdo in the opening round. And a surprising pointless finish from BMW. BMW are now the defending champions, and Wario has no intention of giving up his crown any time soon. However, pre-season testing showed that perhaps the gap is decreasing between BMW and their direct rivals. Eyes will especially be on HBRT and Mitsuyoshi to see if they have what it takes to win here today. We have 14 drivers all going for four points-paying positions. Good grid position is essential - let's get onto qualifying.

World champion Wario beat his teammate Lewis Hammerton for the front spot, while HBRT were not far behind. However, the latter wouldn't have expected to be sandwiched by both of the Koopra Sport karts. Mitsuyoshi then got themselves into the mix too. With Para Troopa mere thousandths of a second off Hammerton. Conker crashed in the tunnel on his lap. While Daisy jumped to an impressive fifth. Peachific had a clear edge over Kameklaren, but are clearly the penultimate team at this track. In the second session, Bobomb was able to outqualify Peach, while Luigi's time was again disappointing to end behind Birdo. Those fears of pace may have been short-lived as Birdo's time became the benchmark that Kokkoro and Spike were unable to best. This meant nothing when Daisy went fastest with a brilliant 38-second lap! Larry Koopaling, who followed her on the developing track and took second place, was a quarter of a second behind on pace. She's bested herself by Para Troopa, who seems to be loving the Mitsuyoshi Mk. VII. even Lewis Hammerton cannot beat Para's time :chilton: Wario is on his final lap now - after a brief wobble in the tunnel, he comes out and blitzes a pole time far ahead of even Para.

Redsaurus will be very happy with that progress I'm sure. 1997 was the team's first winless season, but if they keep up that kind of pace they're bound to get back to the top of the rostrum. SSL stepping forward, HBRT stepping backward. Peachific quite commendable for a first try. It's an absolutely lovely Race Day. As always, Luigi Raceway provides a clean and easy opening to the season, giving the drivers a chance to just put pedal to the metal and go for it, without too much mickey-mouse. Wario could actually take a third consecutive win here (I think that would be the first ever). (it would!). While Wario aims to make more history, let's see how the field does on this opening lap. The lights are up, and it's go go go!

It's a long start straight here, a really long one. Para gets an excellent start and is right alongside Wario. At the back, Peach fluffs up the start and loses a lot of ground. But going into turn 1, Para and Wario are playing silly buggers. Wario has the inside to the left-hander while Para is trying to go around the outside! Wario ruins his tyres keeping Para away, and Para loses control, hitting the wall in the process! As the rest of the pack catch up, Luigi naturally hits some of the debris and loses a few places. The eternally brilliant starters at Kameklaren are at it again meanwhile. King Bobomb expertly scythes through the turn-1 chaos from 12th all the way up to 5th! Daisy takes a default third behind the two BMWs. As they all go into the tunnel, Birdo makes an unforced error and slams it against the wall. Quite a turnaround from last year, she's out on the first lap. Lap 2 now and the drivers have to negotiate the debris at turn 1 again. With the BMWs far ahead of her, Daisy doesn't prepare enough or well enough, and she picks up a puncture from the previous accident! What a shame! She tries to keep the kart going, but in the end sensibly parks it on the grass. She punches the wheel in frustration - a good result taken away. The BMWs seem invincible at the front. Kokkoro Toudou, in a wonderful third place on debut, has kart issues and starts to slow. This makes the gap between second and third even larger. And of course, that third place is now occupied by the Kameklaren of King Bobomb :chilton: who now has a giant train all the way back to 8th place following him. Larry Koopaling is trying to make a pass, but the camera cuts away to another SSL kart on the grass. Luigi's motor has gone completely. At his home race too no less. The last lap goes by and the cameras miss most of the action focussing on Luigi's walk back to the pits. They therefore miss most of the battle between King Bobomb and Larry Koopaling. Bobomb is making that kart as wide as possible, and it's working. While Wario takes a BMW 1-2 home with a record third consecutive win, King Bobomb takes third place! What a turnup for the books! (and Peach finally passes the camera car).

Race Results

KS, Mitsuyoshi and SSL have all made some serious progress over the off-season, and even on an engine dependant track like Luigi Raceway they gave the BMWs a scare. However, it's Bobomb who wins the crowd's hearts for a heroic run to third. ROTR would have to be Birdo for a clumsy and anonymous retirement at the race she won last year. Wait whoops: Baby Luigi was supposed to be driving today 😛 we'll say he was sick.
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

Mario Kart Round 2 - Moo Moo Farm

As was said yesterday, this track, the only oval in the current calendar, has very low top speeds and won't reward the fastest karts, but the fastest drivers. While Luigi Raceway was a disappointment for those sensing weakness from BMW, Moo Moo Farm may be a happier weekend. After sitting out the opening round with a funny tummy, Baby Luigi was set up in the cockpit of the #12 kart in place of his mother, ready to face the weekend. Daisy did the majority of interviews, leaving her son to focus on the racing. All the cameras focussed on the two-year-old, and the times he was able to do. Unfortunately, while the MIA did not publicise those times, they were adamant that Baby Luigi did not qualify. Daisy, who has been intensely training her son for future greatness, had to take it on the chin. Baby Luigi, when interviewed, said "I am a spaceman" and ran around in circles. Analysts are still trying to decipher this coded message.

Onto qualifying then. Lewis Hammerton beat Wario Jumpman in the first session, with the HBRTs far behind. Foreman Spike hit a mole and it ruined his time completely. The Koopras were a few tenths off and a little further behind than last weekend. Then Para Troopa came and put his kart in first place! The Kameklarens were again last, but this time only by half a second. Luigi was the second surprise of the event, splitting the BMWs
while Toad took a very handy 5th for Peachific. In the second session the Kameklarens were again last, with the HBRTs at least ahead of them. Peach binned her lap hitting the bridge - disaster! while Larry Koopaling topped the timings after his lap. His teammate Toudou was fractions behind, and then Dixie Kong surprised by splitting those two! And this after a skid from Dixie. Toad's lap was disappointing, putting him behind the HBRTs. Wario goes out and he's third! Now that is a surprise. With three runners remaining, the world champion risks being pushed down the order. He won't have to worry about Luigi, who drives his kart into the wall avoiding a mole and completely screws it up - no time from him. :binotto: Lewis Hammerton is the first to beat Larry Koopaling's time, with quite a sizeable gap between them. Para Troopa....... goes second! A second consecutive front-row start for the Koopa. He starts alongside a different BMW as Wario begins down in 5th place.

Qualifying Results

The race hasn't begun yet, but SSL may take ROTR considering they are currently DNQ and last 😛 Onto Race Day now. Redsaurus is sitting quite nervously on the pit-wall as his driver lines up on the grid. Para crashed tangling with Wario last week, and Mitsuyoshi need the points for sure
Bowser, having taken his heart medicine, is sitting comfortably. The lights are out, and it's go go go! These times were equal in quali and it shows in the race! The whole pack descends upon the mole fields at once, jostling and pushing for position. Someone at the back fires a pack of green shells and it tears through the pack. Toad get hit and has to activate the clutch to get his kart started again. There are shells bouncing everywhere. One hits King Bobomb, who is thrown from his kart and is out of the race. Luigi, having made a good start, has to avoid the carnage and loses a lot of time still. The biggest battle is between Kokkoro Toudou and Birdo: both are fighting for 7th place and are willing to hit each other to do it. They collide! Birdo comes off worse, but gets ahead. As they raise their fists at each other, another bunch of green shells flashes past them. They've got pinpoint accuracy. One hits the race leader! Hammerton's kart blasts into the air and eventually into the wooden barriers. Para Troopa lets out a leap of joy and boosts ahead into the lead. Another shell hits Wario with the same effect :chilton: both BMWs are out within seconds of each other. Thank goodness Bowser took that heart medicine.

By lap 2 everything looks different to how it started. Spike is up to 3rd, and even Conker and Peach are making up ground. There are so many green shells now that the drivers are doing their absolute utmost to avoid at all costs. The argument between Birdo and Kokkoro is continuing, and at the end of the lap both of them smash into the bridge simultaneously. Conker, unable to deal with the carnage, falls prey to another green shell and he too leaves the racetrack bruised and beaten. Para Troopa, doing his best to get away from this, does the fastest lap and puts distance between himself and Larry Koopaling in second. As always, the final lap is where things finally start to settle down. Luigi and Toad are fighting for not-last at the back, and in their pushing each other, both come to terms with some moles. Toad scrapes the underside of his kart but keeps going. Luigi has to kickstart his kart again and finishes the race well back. But who wins? Para Troopa wins! It's an incredible moment for Mitsuyoshi as the scenes in the paddock are magnificent.

Mitsuyoshi's last victory came at Banshee Boardwalk in 1996, achieved by none other than Lewis Hammerton 😛 Sharing the lead of the championship with Wario, this is the first time Para Troopa has ever led the championship, shared or otherwise. The last time Mitsuyoshi led the drivers' standings was with Yoshi himself back in 1993!
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

Mario Kart Round 3 - Koopa Troopa Beach

Alas, the Koopa Kingdom has had some great heroes recently retired. But the latest win by Para Troopa has got them stirred up again! That is most fortuitous. Last-minute tickets were sold by the dozen as the locals went to see a possible Koopa in championship contention. Wait, one more thing. The stewards have decided that both drivers were at fault for the collision between Birdo and Kokkoro, and as they both retired, no penalties are necessary. The weather is fantastic for qualifying today. The BMWs are loving this track, and their karts are quite a lot quicker than the immediate opposition. That opposition comes in the form of Kokkoro Toudou, who is currently third at the time of writing. The HBRTs definitely have lost a tenth or two to the leading pace compared to last year. Larry, hitting a crab, does a poor lap. The Kameklarens are again last, while Daisy takes her kart to best of the rest in third! Peach also impresses with a sixth place. Now onto the second session. King Bobomb, looking to gain time by going via the sea, is swept out by an incoming wave and loses valuable time. Luigi, likewise trying to make up time, boosts into the wall next to the tunnel shortcut and sets no time :binotto: Spike leads the timing, with Larry and Toad close behind, but still behind. Dixie Kong is fractions away but still slower. Birdo, Spike's teammate, is the first to beat him. Kokkoro outqualifies Larry slightly, while it's all looking a bit Noah's Ark out there again. Daisy is only 5th fastest after a commendable effort. Wario goes second! We missed it on camera, but Para Troopa crashed :vettel: no time by him. If it's any consolation, Wario's slow time was set by hitting a crab. Only Lewis Hammerton remains, and he goes on pole!

Qualifying Results

A revival for HBRT - this track suits them. And historians will remember that Birdo took her maiden win here two years ago. On Race Day the weather is beautiful once again. The karts line up and the crowd cheer, if only for Kokkoro in 6th 😛 Five lights. and it's go go go! Luigi makes a supreme start from the back. He's passed the lot of them! Peach and Conker do the same, as most of the midfield stall and lose ground and position. While there are overtakes left right and centre, the racing is very clean and there are very few incidents. The top three are in formation, with Birdo challenging Hammerton for the win. Kokkoro is pushed! Not sure who by but the crowd are furious. She dips a wheel or two into the sea and is washed away and out of this race. When the drivers make it to the final bend, it's a choice of which way around the giant rock to go. Birdo goes right, Lewis goes left. Lewis has the better line, but he scrapes it off the rock. That's a lot of damage, and he's slowing! Hammerton has irretrievably damaged his kart. And in typical BMW fashion, is leaving debris for the rest of them. Larry is the unfortunate victim of those metal plates, and it blows up his tyres. He's so close to the pits, but the kart can't make it with no tyres on a sandy beach. While Dixie Kong swoops around Spike to take third place, her teammate Para Troopa has not managed to escape last place. Lap 2 is a lot cleaner than lap 1. The karts have got the racing line sorted and the way is a lot clearer. As they get up to respectable speeds, Wario is really hounding Birdo for the win. Without too much incident, the karts are coming to the end of the second lap, when Toad misses the final turn completely and dumps his kart in the sea. Para Troopa, who was pressuring him, gets passed, to a cheer from his local fans. Wario is really pushing Birdo into the final lap now. It seems inevitable that he's going to get past. Luigi is hounding Peach, who is hounding Foreman Spike, who is hounding Dixie Kong. We have a long train all the way down the order as they follow each other. At the front, nails are being bitten as Birdo tries to defend her place. Wario makes a move - and fails! He can't get past! Into the final sector and Birdo clears enough space to win for the first time in 1998! Drama occurs on the final corner again, when Foreman Spike loses it completely and hits the rock wall. This promotes Peach up to the points-paying positions :chilton:

Race Results
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

Mario Kart Round 4 - Kalimari Desert

Quali: Para Troopa was fastest in the first session, while Lewis made a crucial error at the train stop and wasn't fast enough to have his time recorded. No big surprises considering the present order. Second quali: Bobomb dumped his kart in the sand while on the infield circuit. Birdo and Daisy both binned perfectly respectable laps. The Koopra Sports were very quick but not quick enough. Para's last lap didn't get pole, but Dixie took best of the rest in third. Wario on pole.

Quali Results

Lap 1: The train predictably gets in everyone's way. Among those to hit it are Hammerton, Para, Luigi, Toad, Spike and Daisy. Conker is the odd one out in that he gets hit by the train. Lap 2: Luigi, on track for SSL's first points this season, is also hit by the train. Bobomb and Para are also caught up in this. Birdo, who has crashed twice already this race, retires after the third and final crash. Wario leading ahead of Dixie. Lap 3: absolutely nothing happens. Sport creeps back into the crypt.

Hammercat42

Post by Hammercat42 »

:shock: Do i have got 2 teams lol.

Anyway,
All tokens on Engines of birdo.
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

Excerpts from MarioSport Magazine wrote:Welcome one and all, to the 1998 MKDA election. The Mario Kart Drivers' Association was set up to represent each and every driver in the Marioverse's most prestigious racing series: to assure safety, fairness, and act as a bulwark against any organisational tyranny.

The outgoing representative Luigi Mario oversaw the last two years with little action: while the temporary end of scrutineering became permanent, there was little action on the drivers' side to stop the fiasco of the 1996 DK Jungle Parkway Grand Prix, which saw the expuslion of the DKR team and the subsequent forming of a rival series the following year.

Mario Kart therefore sits in an interesting time, whereby silence has bred plaguing issues abroad, if not at home. Luigi is sponsoring his son "Baby" for the post this time, while three other contenders have put their names forward.

Para Troopa, veteran of the Great War (1982-1987), and recent resurgent race winner for Mitsuyoshi, has put his name forward for the role. He has put as his priority the establishment of "driver equality" and the reduction of entrenched privileges, whatever that means.

Peach Toadstool, again seeing something of a resurgence in the sport after a two-year hiatus, is running. Her campaign is short and sweet: "Back to the glory days".

And finally, Para's team principal Redsaurus C. Koopamuncher occupies the final spot on the roster. The dinosaur was an apprentice of the late great Yoshisaur T. Munchakoopas, and in the early days of Luigi's premiership, was very vocally against the then-running of the MKDA with regards to its handling of the investigation into Munchakoopas' death.
Para won it :badoer:
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

After a meeting with the MIA, Para announced his main goal was to artificially create parity between the drivers by adding weight to the previous race winner. This decision has come into force with immediate effect - we'll see if it prevents Wario from doing his best at Toad's Turnpike very soon.
Frogfoot9013

Post by Frogfoot9013 »

The Daily Peel wrote:Outrage as MKDA disgracefully elects war criminal as Drivers' Representative
While we have all long come to expect the worst from the farce known as Mario Kart, the recent results of the elections for a new drivers' representative to replace the impotent Luigi have seen the series, and in particular, its drivers, stoop to new lows. The election, which saw too many irregularities in the voting to name, but enough to say conclusively that it was rigged, saw a surprise winner: Para Troopa, the Butcher of Toad Town. Back during the Great War, this vile monster had been one of the Koopas' elite solidiers, and was notorious for orchestrating the massacre of hundreds of civilians at Toad Town as the Koopas fled from it. That the Butcher is not only walking free, but competing for glory in sports and being backed by his fellow drivers, is an affront to all decency and an utter disgrace. We call on the forces of Justice to arrest Para Troopa and make him face Justice!
James Hunt, commentating on the 1991 German Grand Prix wrote:The Benettons looking very smart together on the track, mostly because they're both going so slowly.
kevinbotz

Post by kevinbotz »

Para Troopa wrote:
I wholly denounce the slanderous claims levied against my character, and my record during the abominable War that we have collectively suffered through not even a decade prior. I, in good conscience, can affirm that I rigorously abided by the Laws of War during my term of service, and that no atrocities were committed against the local population by 1 PARA during its enforced retreat from Toad Town.
Klon, on Alt-F1 wrote: I like to think it's more poker than gambling, though.
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

Flower Cup

The second Cup of 1998 had some interesting consequences. The added weight penalty to Wario allowed Lewis Hammerton an easy win at Toad's Turnpike. Hammerton's subsequent penalty led to a disaster race at Frappe Snowland that saw him crash into the base of Yoshi's statue. Wario won that race quite comfortably, before being penalised for Choco Mountain again. The BMWs again swapped and Hammerton won there, although not quite so comfortably. The real surprise of this was at Mario Raceway, where a full-speed Wario was challenged and beaten on merit by Dixie Kong, who kept her maiden pole and converted it to her maiden win!

Further down the order, SSL had some surprise strong results, including a second place for Daisy at Toad's Turnpike and a third place for Luigi at Mario Raceway. This was Luigi's first points in almost two years. Mario Raceway was full of happy faces after Kokkoro Toudou also scored her maiden point. The Koopra Sport team had a poor Cup otherwise, so it was a welcome positive change. Birdo kept up the good fight with a podium, while Dixie has maintained her runner-up position ahead of Lewis Hammerton, whose inconsistency has been his downfall this year.

Driver Standings

After the Cup, Para Troopa decided to tweak the weight penalty to apply to teams instead. This means that BMW as a whole would suffer collectively if one of their drivers won. It of course applies to all the teams and drivers therefore.
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

DKR - Rounds 2 to 5

Who knows what mushrooms Mario was eating before the season proper began, but they seemed to work. Happening concurrently with the Flower Cup, albeit on the other side of the world, the next four round cycle saw Mario Mario dominate from pole at every race. Although the on-track action was minimal to say the absolute least, Mario was on top form, qualifying well, leading every lap, and looking totally untouchable the whole time. While the DKR organisers seem to have got the hang of the tyre trouble that was plaguing the field last year, it has certainly put a dampener on the racing.

Not as much of a dampener as the race at Hot Top Volcano, however. Followers of the series will remember Bumper Badger's near-death experience at Hot Top Volcano that caused him to lose his kart in 1997. This year, he was not so lucky. Upon falling in the lava, Badger was sadly never seen again as he drowned in the molten lava along with his kart. Neither were retrievable except for a pile of melted bones and metal. He will be sadly missed from the racing scene, and is now the first driver in the Marioverse to die from a racing accident.

Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

SKR Summer - Rounds 6-9

If the death of Bumper Badger had brought a dampener on proceedings at the end of the spring rounds, then the following race was even worse. In a lap 1 suspension crash, Tip Tup was piled into by a variety of competitors and broke all of his tiny arms and legs. It was a very serious operation and he had to be prised out of the seat and the kart, which were heavily damaged. Wasting no time, the DKR organisers replaced him with Shy Guy and carried on with the series. However, it meant an early retirement for Tip Tup, the 1997 Diddy Kong Racing champion, who will never be able to race again.

When it comes to the championship, only DK3 was anywhere close to beating Mario. There were occasional bursts of pace from Bluesaurus and from Mark Wiggler. However, after winning seven races from the nine first rounds, Mario convincingly won the championship with two rounds remaining. All hail the king.

Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

Mario Kart - Star Cup

The team-joint penalty for races hit Mitsuyoshi first. At home, Wario finally undid his curse and won at home convincingly. Para Troopa was very close while Hammerton crashed out of a good position. At Sherbet Land the BMWs had a disaster, qualifying at the back and both having incidents. Dixie Kong took her second win in three races, convincingly too. Larry Koopaling showed a return to form after a bad Flower Cup, while Birdo was the essence of consistency.

Royal Raceway provided a shock to say the least. The Peachifics were slow at home, but the SSLs were mad quick. So quick in fact that Luigi qualified on the front row! Passing Lewis Hammerton at the first corner, he was unstoppable in taking his first victory in three and a half years, despite a good run from Dixie Kong. Hammerton's season went from bad to worse as he eventually crashed out in a bad landing after the giant jump. Scenes in the SSL garage were jubilant as the 1992 world champion took victory again.

Things were more muted in Bowser's Castle, as the BMW machine performed perfectly at home. There were no embarrassments this time as they dominated each session easily and took a strong 1-2. A high attrition rate had no major accidents.

Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

Diddy Kong Racing - Rounds 10 to 11

The final two rounds - two because the DKR organisers decided to truncate the series end to preserve some machinery - went by with many hitches. Severe flooding caused the track to be narrowed heavily, which sent Mario into a major crash at the first corner. When Jimmie Mouser smashed into Whomp King at the same corner, the stewards took his kart away and gave it to Whomp, whose own had been completely destroyed. It put the number of racers entering the final round at 14. Pipsy had a great end-of-season run, taking victory at Whale Bay and second at Crescent Island. The reader can guess who won the finale: Mario Mario, from pole, with fastest lap. And so concludes our 1998 Diddy Kong Racing season.

Hammercat42

Post by Hammercat42 »

this was my last season, thank you for hosting!
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

Mario Kart - Special Cup

The Special Cup was something...special for the fans of Mario Kart. At DK Jungle Parkway, Wario took a second consecutive win, which is the first such achievement for a driver with a weight penalty. Dixie Kong as always was right behind him, with Kokkoro taking a maiden podium and breaking her duck. There were lost opportunities for Lewis Hammerton and Para, who both binned it over the race.

Wario ended up getting robbed and mugged outside of his castle in Wario Land (the name of his vast Mushroom Kingdom estate), and he vowed to go after the culprits. This left BMW with no choice but to replace the new world champion for a race or two. They chose the most controversial and epic choice imaginable: Mario Mario! The newly-crowned 1998 Diddy Kong Racing champion came back to thunderous applause before binning it in Q1 and starting from the back of the grid. Despite a great opportunity for Luigi and the Mitsuyoshis in qualifying, it was Toad Toadstool who had an amazing run all the way from the race start to win magnificently at the track he has done as such three consecutive times. It was the shock win to end all shock wins!

At Banshee Boardwalk, the MIA intervened and would not allow Mario to re-enter. Bowser instead himself drove for the first time in almost two years, but had a kart problem and retired very soon into the race. Luigi almost won the race, but for a late-race crash with Birdo sending both of them down the order and allowing a brilliant drive from Para to win!

At the season finale, Wario returned to Rainbow Road to take a fourth win at the circuit. It was not to be, however, as Lewis Hammerton for once had the measure of him for the whole weekend. From start to finish, Hammerton dominated all sessions and took a win to at least cement a third place behind season runner-up Dixie Kong. And so ends the Cup and the season.

Reject of the Race: Foreman Spike. Although it perhaps was wise to announce his retirement before the 1998 season, that didn't save the "retire old man!" embarrassment that was his year. Again Birdo took most of the opportunities presented to her, and Spike is lucky to have her!

Infinite Improbability Drive of the Year: Luigi and Daisy, Scuderia SSL Team. After such a dismal 1996-1997, it has been wonderful to see the efforts of the two drivers finally come to fruit. They are a team to watch out for next year, as if they improve as they are currently doing, then they could be in a position to challenge for regular wins.

Driver Standings

Constructor Standings