Infinite Improbability Drive of the Race - Great Britain

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
Londoner

Infinite Improbability Drive of the Race - Great Britain

Post by Londoner »

1. The final stint. Honestly, that duel between Perez, Leclerc, Hamilton and Alonso is arguably the best lap I've ever seen in Formula 1. On my feet and screaming at the TV the entire time.

2. Mick Schumacher. The monkey is finally off his back, and in some style too!

Honourable mentions to the halo and luck in general. Looking at the replays of Zhou's accident and the protesters on the Wellington Straight, Formula 1 has dodged a huge bullet today.
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
Enforcer
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Infinite Improbability Drive of the Race - Great Britain

Post by Enforcer »

Mick Schumacher.

No place in F1, just there because of the name, when do we stop making excuses for him, and all that, but in the points and should've gotten 7th ahead of Verstappen except the latter ran him out of road (although this seems to be acceptable in F1). And beat his far better rated team mate.

Can't really see anyone else. Maybe Vettel for stretching his tires out until the SC, but with the attrition, 9th isn't that surprising for him.
Last edited by Enforcer on 03 Jul 2022, 16:39, edited 1 time in total.
RAK

Post by RAK »

1) Mick Schumacher: Finally achieves a point-scoring finish, which had eluded him this season. Almost managed to overtake the current World Champion, no less, albeit with Verstappen having a damaged car.

2) Carlos Sainz: Assisted a bit by the hedging-of-bets by Ferrari leaving him with the softs instead of his teammate, but he finally achieves his first victory.
Predicament Predictions Champion, 2011, 2018, 2019

They weren't the world's most competent team,
In fact, to be believed, their results must be seen,
Lola,
M-Mastercard Lola,
L, O, L, A, Lola!
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

My votes (obviously!):

A high DNF rate alongside a significant safety record today, thank goodness for the halo

A double points finish for Haas

First points for Schumacher

The red flag preventing much publicity for the planned lap 1 track invasion by protestors

A Marshall giving one of the trophies

A first win for Sainz

Lots of wheel to wheel action in the final 10 laps, including all the way to the line for Schumi and Verstappen (whose dads were teammates at Team Enstone in 1994!)

Not sure which is my number 1. Just an eventful race.
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
IceG

Post by IceG »

(1) Mick Schumacher
Ducktanian

Post by Ducktanian »

Mick Schumacher - Not only scored his first points, but finished ahead of K-Mag

Lewis Hamilton - The most comfortable we've seen him for a while.

Carlos Sainz - First Pole, First Win. Though let down by his mistake early on, and arguably Leclerc was quicker. But still, he finally did it.

The Halo - Do I really need to say anything here?

The final few laps - as Londonder said.
Murray Walker: "A lot of people here are really debating whether Ricardo Rosset is Formula 1 material"
Martin Brundle: "Well, it's a fairly short debate, Murray".
rachel1990

Post by rachel1990 »

1 Mick Schumacher- beat K-mag easily and got points!!! Didn't hit Verstappen either. We have progress folks

2- the Halo. More lives saved. Whoever was against it is looking very stupid now.

HM the final stint. What a final 10 laps that was!!

Hm whatever hit the floor of Max Verstappen. Thank you!!!

Hm Lewis Hamilton- glad he didn't win but his drive was impressive

Hm Nicolas Latifi- stayed in contention much longer than I expected
Benetton of 1992. Never a reject
Francis23

Post by Francis23 »

Halo is a slam dunk winner for me whenever it prevents serious injury...this weekend it saved 2 lives

Other than that quite a few nominations:

Sainz: Hopefully first of many wins
Leclerc: Was in with a shout despite pretty severe front wing damage, let down by strategy again
Perez: Great recovery
Hamilton: More like his old self
Schumacher: POINTS! And ahead of KMag
Latifi: Was holding his own for a long time before the car limitations became apparent
Marshal presenting a trophy: Nice touch, they deserve a lot of credit
Alo/Per/Lec/Ham: What a scrap that was
Meatwad

Post by Meatwad »

Mick Schumacher: Points on a day when I didn't expect it (even to the extent I usually would). Almost beat Verstappen, a great way to score his first points!
Alextrax52

Post by Alextrax52 »

For once there’s a lot of contenders for this

Mick Schumacher: Obviously for the maiden points (even though he tried everything to throw them away on the last lap). He had genuine pace in the short amount of dry running and he deserves it after a compromised qualy.

Nicolas Latifi: Easily the best weekend he’s had in sometime. A first Q3 appearance and didn’t get beaten up as quickly as many may have thought. All this without the major upgrade on his car btw. It might not save his future but it’s a small reminder he’s not as hopeless as other past drivers.

HM: The Halo: Twice today it has saved drivers from certain death in F1 and F2. I still prefer Indycar’s full aeroscreen but both have been the best piece of equipment introduced in recent years

HM: Carlos Sainz: I thought he was going to go into his shell after his mistake handed Verstappen the lead but he hung on in there and when the opportunity came he grabbed it for an overdue maiden win

HM: Sergio Perez: Yes I know he’s in a Red Bull and a SC came to his aid but even so if you told me he’d have finished 2nd after losing some of his wing I’d have laughed.

HM: The last stint: That last 10 laps is why despite its flaws I absolutely love F1.
mario

Post by mario »

I expect that there will be many nominating the halo device, though I do also wonder why the roll hoop on Zhou's car seemed to have been torn off so easily - it seemed to fail very early into that accident, which is a little concerning.

Latifi perhaps deserves an outside nomination - was running in the top 10 for quite a long time, and even after the safety car, he still managed to finish in 12th place (beating both Ricciardo and Tsunoda). He had a genuinely impressive pace and a surprisingly strong performance in a race where he also didn't get access to the latest upgrade package from Williams (only Albon's car was upgraded).

I'd agree with the nomination of Leclerc and Hamilton, though am a little hesitant about Perez as, until that late safety car, he was in something of a no-mans land.
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
Aislabie

Post by Aislabie »

1. Zhou Guanyu for being absolutely fine after that horror crash.

2. Sergio Perez getting back up to second place after his front wing trouble dropped him all the way to the back was a quietly magnificent drive.
Bleu

Post by Bleu »

1. The Final Stint
2. Mick Schumacher
Miguel98

Post by Miguel98 »

1. Mick Schumacher - Great drive.
2. Carlos Sainz - Won in spite of Ferrari's best efforts to loose him the race.

HM to Nicholas Latifi and Sebastian Vettel and to the halo.
Mario on Gutierrez after the Italian Grand Prix wrote:He's no longer just a bit of a tool, he's the entire tool set.

18-07-2015: Forever in our hearts Jules.
25-08-2015: Forever in our hearts Justin.
Aerond
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Aerond »

1. Perez- Top jerb
2. Mick Schumacher - good jerb
Tread lightly in ARWS. Every decision might be your last.
James1978

Post by James1978 »

I think more than anything it has to be the fact that Zhou and Albon are still with us.
"Poor old Warwick takes it from behind all throughout this season". :) (Tony Jardine, 1988)
Batty

Post by Batty »

Carlos Sainz - Overruling Ferrari telling him to back up everyone to help Charles.
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Just going to add a tongue-in-cheek nomination for Eurovision non-reject Sam Ryder for really making the most of his opportunity to sing the national anthem before the race. He really seemed to enjoy himself, and I enjoyed the fact that he enjoyed being there.
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
rachel1990

Post by rachel1990 »

dr-baker wrote: 04 Jul 2022, 18:49 Just going to add a tongue-in-cheek nomination for Eurovision non-reject Sam Ryder for really making the most of his opportunity to sing the national anthem before the race. He really seemed to enjoy himself, and I enjoyed the fact that he enjoyed being there.
Still waiting for Ginger spice aka Mrs Red Bull to sing the national anthem. Always next year
Benetton of 1992. Never a reject
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

rachel1990 wrote: 04 Jul 2022, 19:38
dr-baker wrote: 04 Jul 2022, 18:49 Just going to add a tongue-in-cheek nomination for Eurovision non-reject Sam Ryder for really making the most of his opportunity to sing the national anthem before the race. He really seemed to enjoy himself, and I enjoyed the fact that he enjoyed being there.
Still waiting for Ginger spice aka Mrs Red Bull to sing the national anthem. Always next year
Wonder if the Red Bull manager could pull a few strings?
MCard LOLA
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l