Reject of the Race - Great Britain 2022

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
Londoner

Reject of the Race - Great Britain 2022

Post by Londoner »

1. Extinction Rebellion. Absolute bellends, the entire lot of them. Thankfully the red flag prevented them from actually getting on screen and possibly causing an awful incident on the Wellington Straight. Hopefully they get the book thrown at them by Priti Patel and co.

2. AlphaTauri. The cardinal sin and, in a race like this when big points were on offer, totally unforgiveable.

Lots and lots of possible choices today.

Ferrari strategists for screwing Leclerc time and time again. Should we start thinking about a Leclerc future away from Marenello?

Max Verstappen drove and sounded like he wanted to park the car in the pits for the last 40 laps.

Daniel Ricciardo, who looks absolutely cooked beyond belief.
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
Ramilton

Re: Reject of the Race - Great Britain 2022

Post by Ramilton »

XR by a mile.

Honourable mention to Ricciardo.
Ciaran

Post by Ciaran »

1. Yuki Tsunoda for committing the cardinal sin of racing.
  2. EDIT: BRDC, for inviting Nadine Dorries to present the trophy. A tub of yoghurt has more culture than her.
Dishonourable mention to Sky's genie, Ted Kravitz. I don't know if I'm just paying his crappy attempts at banter more attention, but he's just become so annoying this year.

Another dishonourable mention for Daniel Ricciardo, I'm sure he'll be looking up estate agents in Indianapolis as soon as he gets on a laptop/tablet/phone.
Last edited by Ciaran on 03 Jul 2022, 16:41, edited 1 time in total.
Manager of Calsonic Team Impul in Formula E, K-Apex in PES & Eurasian F3 and Mitsuoka in Alt-F1 '76.
My career mode thread - 1988: AGS (19pts, 9th) // 1989: Arrows (25pts, 8th, 1 win!)
You'll never DNF if you always DNPQ. #RollSafe
Enforcer
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Enforcer »

Extinction Rebellion / JustStopOil / Whoever the Hell they are. Not only did they stage a track invasion, which is massively dangerous, but they got completely undermined by the Red Flag anyway. A random nutjob 20 years ago did a better job of disrupting a race than you. You fail.

You wanna protest climate change? Fine, I'm good with that. But block car access to cities or something like that. Ordinary use of motor vehicles has a much bigger impact than F1.

I'd consider Leclerc's luck, or lack thereof as the other option as he was quite clearly faster than Sainz, or maybe Tsunoda and Gasly or Ricciardo but, really, I think Extinction Rebellion should have it.

EDIT: Actually I just have to mention Ted Kravitz again this week:

""I am the genie to your...eh... question... lamp?"

What the bathplug was that?
Last edited by Enforcer on 03 Jul 2022, 16:42, edited 4 times in total.
RAK

Post by RAK »

1) Extinction Rebellion: The only good news from that is that they were arrested during the red flag period rather than ending up with a Neil Horan-meets-Tom Pryce scenario.

2) AlphaTauri: One retirement, another dismal result. They did not cover themselves in anything even approaching glory today.
Predicament Predictions Champion, 2011, 2018, 2019

They weren't the world's most competent team,
In fact, to be believed, their results must be seen,
Lola,
M-Mastercard Lola,
L, O, L, A, Lola!
rachel1990

Post by rachel1990 »

1. Extinction Rebellion- hated by the British public already, tried to interrupt the British gp by invading the track on the first lap, but that Pesky Red flag ruined both their protest and any potential tv time. Ha ha

2 Daniel Ricciardo. In a race of attrition he still does nothing. Again. Finishes behind Latifi. Lapped. Again. Dale is done. Surely Mclaren can break the contract themselves.

Hm- Alpha Tauri. Drivers coming together, cars retiring with technical problems and penalties for drivers

Hm- Ferrari pitwall. Failed again and Leclerc was a sitting duck.

Hm British racing Club. Allowing Nadine Dorries on the poduim. Why oh god why?
Benetton of 1992. Never a reject
IceG

Post by IceG »

In racing terms it has to be Ricciardo - made nothing out of the opportunities.

In team terms it has to be Ferrari who were slow to react and slow to decide.

In driver terms it has to be Verstappen who was whining like Hamilton at his worst.
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Verstappen had a pretty rejectful race by his own standards.
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
Pacific Edge

Post by Pacific Edge »

1st: Extinction Rebellion. Didn't see their "protest", but what they did was mind numbingly thick, so, 1st place from me too.

2nd: The Sky commentary team Really made me happy the British GP only comes round once a year. Nauseating.

3rd: Tsunoda That's teamwork. Scruffy.
Francis23

Post by Francis23 »

Ricciardo: I fear for that guy, I really do
AT: Really not a good look
Ferrari Strategists: Why they didn't double stack I do not know...Binotto can finger wag at Leclerc all he likes but his team got that one wrong

Not even gonna nominate the track invaders, they're just fools who don't deserve the attention
Meatwad

Post by Meatwad »

1. Yuki Tsunoda: Did the one thing you should never do. After an impressive start to the season, the last two weekends have been pretty embarrassing...
2. Ferrari: Sure, Sainz won, but they threw away another chance for Leclerc to win. The moment I saw Leclerc wasn't going to pit, I knew what would happen. Verstappen's day was a nightmare, but he loses only six points to Leclerc.
mario

Post by mario »

Enforcer wrote: 03 Jul 2022, 16:30 Extinction Rebellion. Not only are did they stage a track invasion, which is massively dangerous, but they got completely undermined by the Red Flag anyway. A random nutjob 20 years ago did a better job of disrupting a race than you. You fail.

You wanna protest climate change? Fine, I'm good with that. But block car access to cities or something like that. Ordinary use of motor vehicles has a much bigger impact than F1.
The government and a number of oil companies have been issuing legal injunctions to block any attempt by them to launch that sort of protest, and the police issued a warning that they would pre-emptively arrest suspected protestors ahead of this race. With other avenues being cut off for protest, I am not surprised that they attempted the protest when they did - I also wonder whether, when seeing the red flag period, they intentionally chose that because it meant there were no cars on track and so they couldn't be accused of endangering any of the drivers.

On a more conventional note:
Londoner wrote: 03 Jul 2022, 16:26 Ferrari strategists for screwing Leclerc time and time again. Should we start thinking about a Leclerc future away from Marenello?
I agree - what were they trying to do with their strategies? They left a clearly faster Leclerc behind Sainz for far, far longer than they should have, especially when it became very obvious that Verstappen was in trouble.

When Hamilton was able to match, or even pull away, from Sainz despite having 30 lap old medium tyres, whilst Sainz was on tyres that were only a handful of laps old, whilst Leclerc was only half a second off Sainz, it should have been clear that was the point to switch cars. Furthermore, they put themselves in a position where, even without that late safety car, they were at risk of throwing away victory because they let Hamilton get a significant tyre difference because Sainz was holding Leclerc up for so long.

Whatever way you cut it, Ferrari had a golden chance to cut Max's lead in the WDC by a large chunk, and they managed to completely cock it up. With signs of a somewhat fractious discussion between Leclerc and Binotto after the race as well, I do wonder if Leclerc must be beginning to wonder if it is worth heading elsewhere.

I'd have to agree with the nomination of Ricciardo as well - his pace was utter garbage, he was one of only two drivers lapped before the late safety car and, considering how many other drivers retired from the race, to finish 13th out of 14 runners is a shockingly bad result. It says a lot about how utterly anonymous he was that, for most of that race, I forgot that he was even there. There were rumours that McLaren were beginning to run out of patience with Ricciardo, and this definitely won't help.
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
Dan B

Post by Dan B »

First F1 race I watched in quite a while, so let’s get to it:

1st: Daniel Ricciardo: Utterly useless, especially in a race of attrition where he could make up ground. Instead, he gets beaten by Latifi and gets lapped. If this isn’t the best 1999 Damon Hill impersonation I don’t know what is.

2nd: Yuki Tsunoda: This race was one huge bruh moment for him.

HM: Extinction Rebellion: I get protesting, I really do. And I do get their message. But to do it on a hot track (which mercifully was red flagged)? These idiots need to be forced to watch the Tom Pryce tragedy Clockwork Orange style.

Max Verstappen: If you think the car is that bad just park the thing.

Ferrari: Yes Sainz won, which is great, but your strategists are still awful. Leclerc has every right to be angry.
noiceinmydrink

Post by noiceinmydrink »

Enforcer wrote: 03 Jul 2022, 16:30EDIT: Actually I just have to mention Ted Kravitz again this week:

""I am the genie to your...eh... question... lamp?"

What the bathplug was that?
Ted Kravitz is that guy who laughs with Alan Partridge rather than at him.
Aislabie

Post by Aislabie »

1. I do not have a problem with environmental protests. I do have a problem with Extinction Rebellion trying to commit suicide by F1 car on live TV. That they were thwarted by a red flag, and thus did not cause any more horrible incidents at the start of that race, is both a huge relief and hugely rejectful.

2. AlphaTauri? More like BetaTauri amirite?
Bleu

Post by Bleu »

1. Extinction Rebellion
2. Yuki Tsunoda

HM to Leclerc strategist.
Alextrax52

Post by Alextrax52 »

Again a lot of candidates

Racing Extinction: Echo pretty much what the rest of you have said. Neil Horan and the Mercedes employee put you to shame. And to do it when the concern should have been on the condition of a racing driver was very distasteful

Ferrari strategists: Ferrari may have won today but regardless of which driver did so would have done it in SPITE of Ferrari not BECAUSE of Ferrari. They tried so hard to give first Lewis and later Checo that win by firstly not letting a clearly quicker Leclerc pass Sainz sooner which reminded me of Germany 18. Then Sainz had to overrule playing rolling roadblock after the safety car and it’s not the first time he’s had to do that after the jump from wets to dries at Monaco.
Schumacher era Ferrari would have cantered that race and despite his woes Max still hasn’t lost too much ground and won’t have races like that all the time.

HM: Max Verstappen: He sounded like Hamilton at his worst today

HM: AlphaTauri: Not a great day for them. Gasly involved in the opening lap shunt and the cardinal sin of the drivers hitting each other. This was a chance for big points today and they totally blew it

HM: Daniel Ricciardo: Was he even here this weekend?. That weekend was even worse than Monaco last year. He is single handedly going to cost McLaren 4th in the constructors if this continues
Miguel98

Post by Miguel98 »

1. Racing Extinction - Lol.
2. Ferrari - I'm sorry but what the hell? They won the race, but Sainz win was such a major case of "you win in spite of Ferrari, not because" I can't even. All their strategy calls were absolutely horrendous, especially for Leclerc. I can't understand why they didn't pit him under the SC. Did they have not time to react? Because it certainly seem like they did. And I'm not even sure if pitting after, and dropping to 3rd, wouldn't even be a better idea than whatever they got. Leclerc was the fastest driver out there after Max hit problems and in the end, he only won 6 points on Max and is now only 9 ahead of Sainz. Lol.

HM:

Daniel Ricciardo - I love you Daniel, but that was your worst drive in F1. Periodt.
AlphaTauri - That double spin is so hilarious.
Mario on Gutierrez after the Italian Grand Prix wrote:He's no longer just a bit of a tool, he's the entire tool set.

18-07-2015: Forever in our hearts Jules.
25-08-2015: Forever in our hearts Justin.
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Apparently the protesters were from a group called Just Stop Oil. Is this related to XR at all? If not, it didn't even draw awareness to their group if we are attributing it to a different environmental group. Also glad there was no TV coverage of it to aid their cause
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
rachel1990

Post by rachel1990 »

dr-baker wrote: 03 Jul 2022, 20:12 Apparently the protesters were from a group called Just Stop Oil. Is this related to XR at all? If not, it didn't even draw awareness to their group if we are attributing it to a different environmental group. Also glad there was no TV coverage of it to aid their cause
I've just googled it and it looks like they are connected. they are the protestors who disrupted a Newcastle vs Everton match that went on for so long, it allowed Everton to win which kept them up. Which peeves me off even more
Benetton of 1992. Never a reject
went

Post by went »

I'm going to give my top pick to The Alphatauri Synchronised Spinning number, it was quite lovely and pretty rejectful as it involves two teammates taking each other out.

And then I'll go with Ricciardo, who keeps pushing hard for that RotY prize, and Ferrari's pit wall nonsense, as usual.
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

rachel1990 wrote: 03 Jul 2022, 20:22
dr-baker wrote: 03 Jul 2022, 20:12 Apparently the protesters were from a group called Just Stop Oil. Is this related to XR at all? If not, it didn't even draw awareness to their group if we are attributing it to a different environmental group. Also glad there was no TV coverage of it to aid their cause
I've just googled it and it looks like they are connected. they are the protestors who disrupted a Newcastle vs Everton match that went on for so long, it allowed Everton to win which kept them up. Which peeves me off even more
Thank you for the clarification.
MCard LOLA
Aerond
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Aerond »

I don't care about the unwritten rule; Tsunoda was ... if not possible, just AT

2. Ricciardo
Tread lightly in ARWS. Every decision might be your last.
James1978

Post by James1978 »

Ricciardo. What's happened to him lately? Maybe he needs to move teams.
"Poor old Warwick takes it from behind all throughout this season". :) (Tony Jardine, 1988)
Batty

Post by Batty »

Extinction Rebellion hands down. Really, really, really dangerous + it kind of failed.

HM - Daniel Ricciardo was one of 2 lapped cars that needed to pass SC near the end. The other was Yuki who served a penalty + had damage
mario

Post by mario »

James1978 wrote: 04 Jul 2022, 06:26 Ricciardo. What's happened to him lately? Maybe he needs to move teams.
I wouldn't say that it was just recently - he's been off the pace for most of this season now.

What I think really underlines how poor Ricciardo has been this season is the fact that, in the nine races where Norris was classified as finishing the race, he only failed to score in two of them - whereas in the nine races where Ricciardo was classified, he has only managed to score in two of them. He was a bit off Norris's pace in 2021, but he still kept a steady stream of points coming in for the team back then - this year, though, that has now dried up.

Some of it may be down to the team and their design philosophy - part of it seems to be that he doesn't particularly like the understeer bias of McLaren's more recent cars - but that does also seem to be something of a trait of the current regulation package as well. Either way, something is not working well there - and it's probably not going to help that there are suggestions that Zak is looking to cash in on F1's popularity in the USA by seeing if he can replace Ricciardo with a driver from the USA.

On another note, I've also seen the reason given by Ferrari for not pitting Leclerc under the safety car, which just makes the situation look worse. Their argument is that they didn't want to double stack their drivers in the pit lane because it would have held up Sainz, and they didn't want to risk Sainz losing a position. They therefore decided to pit Sainz to cover his rivals, with Leclerc being left out because he had track position - even though they accepted that Leclerc would have a difficult 3-4 laps before the tyres got back into their working temperature range, they were hoping that the soft tyre would drop off quickly enough for Leclerc to then make it back through (with the suggestion that Sainz was supposed to have been covering Leclerc in that scenario).

Now, to me that explanation looks odd given that, at the time that the safety car was called, Hamilton was really the only driver whom they might have lost a place to. The thing is, Hamilton is a long way behind Leclerc in the WDC and Ferrari were going to outscore Mercedes in the WCC even if Hamilton passed both Leclerc and Sainz, so if you're going to take the hit on a driver losing position, you can afford to lose points to Hamilton far more readily than you could with Perez.

Realistically, Ferrari should have been looking to maximise Leclerc's points haul by pitting him, accepting that Sainz could lose a position to Hamilton and then aim to try and defend Leclerc's position as best as possible. That would maximise their WDC and WCC chances, and that option would also help protect their drivers from Perez. In some ways, Ferrari were losing sight of the big picture by moving to protect themselves against Hamilton and instead exposing Leclerc to more risk from Perez - when Perez is a far bigger threat in the WDC than Hamilton, and leaving Leclerc vulnerable to Perez also put them in a worse position in the WCC. In trying to justify their actions, they're making the situation look even worse.
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
Har1MAS1415

Post by Har1MAS1415 »

Pierre Gasly. Guanyu Zhou's accident is all the reasoning required.
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l