The Quiz Thread

The place for anything and everything else to do with F1 history, different forms of motorsport, and all other randomness
yannicksamlad
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: The Quiz Thread

Post by yannicksamlad »

dinizintheoven wrote:It works, although I can think of another team that were sponsored by Nordica.

Ah - I had an uneasy feeling on that one,but didnt get round to checking - who?
I started supporting Emmo in 1976 (3 points )....missed 75, 74, 73, 72...
dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

Benetton, during the Schumacher era. Not too surprising, as Nordica was a Benetton brand.
James Allen, on his favourite F1 engine of all time:
"...the Life W12, I can't describe the noise to you, but imagine filling your dustbin with nuts and bolts, and then throwing it down the stairs, it was something akin to that!"
Bleu

Post by Bleu »

Gertrand Bachot

Post by Gertrand Bachot »

Just a question. Can I do a quiz that isn't related to motorsport, or is it motorsport-only on this thread?
mario

Post by mario »

Gertrand Bachot wrote:Just a question. Can I do a quiz that isn't related to motorsport, or is it motorsport-only on this thread?

I think that the preference was for motorsport related quizzes - just curious, what was the quiz that you would have done if it was widened to include other subjects?
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
yannicksamlad
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by yannicksamlad »

https://www.sporcle.com/games/Mr_I/name ... -the-clues
1 minute...quick quiz - hope it works/you like it
I started supporting Emmo in 1976 (3 points )....missed 75, 74, 73, 72...
UncreativeUsername37

Post by UncreativeUsername37 »

Current Competitors Quiz 2019
One question for each team and driver signed for 2019, roughly increasing in difficulty. "F1" means the World Drivers' Championship including its subsequent names.

1. What race was Valtteri Bottas' first F1 points finish?
2. Daniil Kvyat has had two different results at the Australian Grand Prix. What are they?
3. 2018 broke a streak of how many years of Toro Rosso finishing 7th in the championship?
4. What is Nico Hülkenberg's most common finishing position in F1?
5. Where did Kevin Magnussen start in his only F1 race in 2015?
6. Who drove in a single F1 race for Haas?
7. How many races did Pierre Gasly do for Caterham?
8. What series did Grosjean win in in 2016?
9. What is Lewis Hamilton's longest F1 win streak? (2/3 pts for length, 1/3 for specific races)
10. How many times did Ricciardo start outside the top 10 in 2018?
11. Not counting Mecachrome and Supertec, how many engine manufacturers have Williams raced in F1 using?
12. Which French driver drove a Mercedes chassis in F1?
13. Robert Kubica doesn't have two perfectly intact arms, but who was the first to drive in F1 without two complete legs?
14. Of Sauber's 30 F1 drivers, how many made a return to the team after an absence of more than one race?
15. Enrique Bernoldi's highest finish in F1 was at which track?
16. What is Max Verstappen's longest win streak? (2/3 pts for length, 1/3 for specific races)
17. What Oceanian race did Carlos Sainz win?
18. What A1 Grand Prix weekend was Sergio Pérez in?
19. What was Charles Leclerc's first F1 practice session?
20. What team did Alexander Albon get his first win with?
21. When did Enzo Ferrari first announce his team was quitting F1?
22. In 2015 and '16, and 2017 and '18, McLaren came 9th in the championship followed by 6th. In what other pair of years did this happen?
23. What series did Lando Norris win in 2016? (4/9 each)
24. Antonio Giovinazzi is a champion of which series?
25. What series did George Russell do a full season of without a win?
26. Besides F1, what series did Lance Stroll do a full season of without a win?
27. In the 1985 Australian Grand Prix, both Renaults retired from failures of what part?
28. Kimi Räikkönen debuted in F1 with which helmet manufacturer?
29. In what year did the Red Bull Junior Team take on Sebastian Vettel?
30. Where did Otmar Szafnauer finish in the Piggly Wiggly Grand Prix?
Rob Dylan wrote:Mercedes paying homage to the other W12 chassis by breaking down 30 minutes in
UncreativeUsername37

Post by UncreativeUsername37 »

Hey, how about I put up the answers to my pre-season quiz before the European season starts? And by quiz, I mean pack of deceptively worded phrases that got three whole respondents. Eventually.

1. What race was Valtteri Bottas' first F1 points finish?
The 2013 United States Grand Prix. It was 80% of Williams' points that year, which is why it's important to us.

2. Daniil Kvyat has had two different results at the Australian Grand Prix. What are they?
9th and DNS. But now he's added a 10th to his 9ths. Talk about diversifying.

3. 2018 broke a streak of how many years of Toro Rosso finishing 7th in the championship?
4. And the only times they haven't been seventh to ninth are 2008 and 2009. They're consecutive. 2018 was the first time since then that they moved by more than one position.

4. What is Nico Hülkenberg's most common finishing position in F1?
It's 6th. I know it doesn't feel like it. That's why it's a question.

5. Where did Kevin Magnussen start in his only F1 race in 2015?
He didn't, because his Honda didn't survive the formation lap. And his car wasn't the only one. Fifteen starters, that race had.

6. Who drove in a single F1 race for Haas?
Eddie Cheever drove one race for Haas Lola in 1986.

7. How many races did Pierre Gasly do for Caterham?
He did 6 races for them in GP2.

8. What series did Grosjean win in in 2016?
He won in the Andros Trophy. He also won the qualifying for that race, which is even more important. It's a weird system.

9. What is Lewis Hamilton's longest F1 win streak? (2/3 pts for length, 1/3 for specific races)
5, 2014 Italy to United States.

10. How many times did Ricciardo start outside the top 10 in 2018?
6. Slightly more than everyone guessed.

11. Not counting Mecachrome and Supertec, how many engine manufacturers have Williams raced in F1 using?
8: Ford Cosworth, Honda, Judd, Renault, BMW, Cosworth, Toyota, and Mercedes. Both correct respondents made sure to ask whether Ford Cosworth and Cosworth are different.

12. Which French driver drove a Mercedes chassis in F1?
André Simon drove a Mercedes in the 1955 Monaco Grand Prix.

13. Robert Kubica doesn't have two perfectly intact arms, but who was the first to drive in F1 without two complete legs?
Alan Stacey had a prosthetic right lower leg because the one he was born with was too short.

14. Of Sauber's 30 F1 drivers, how many made a return to the team after an absence of more than one race?
8: Järvilehto, Wendlinger, Frentzen, Morbidelli, Fontana, Heidfeld, Massa, and de la Rosa.

15. Enrique Bernoldi's highest finish in F1 was at which track?
The Hockenheimring. The two who got it wrong got it really wrong and guessed Monaco.

16. What is Max Verstappen's longest win streak? (2/3 pts for length, 1/3 for specific races)
6: the three races at Spa-Francorchamps and the Norisring in his Euro F3 season.

17. What Oceanian race did Carlos Sainz win?
Rally New Zealand. The two people who didn't get the trick didn't even bother to pick something from Oceania.

18. What A1 Grand Prix weekend was Sergio Pérez in?
Shanghai in the 2006–07 season, replacing everyone's favourite FE driver Salvador Durán.

19. What was Charles Leclerc's first F1 practice session?
It was in the 2016 British Grand Prix. No one got the right year.

20. What team did Alexander Albon get his first win with?
KTR, in Eurocup Formula Renault. I know this one's not very interesting.

21. When did Enzo Ferrari first announce his team was quitting F1?
In 1953, he announced his team would be withdrawing from motorsport for 1954. Before and after the announcement, they were clearly doing development work for 1954. It was probably an attempt to get people to give them more starting money because they were scared of Mercedes.

22. In 2015 and '16, and 2017 and '18, McLaren came 9th in the championship followed by 6th. In what other pair of years did this happen?
1980 and '81. I don't know much about that era, but I'm sure there are interesting reasons.

23. What series did Lando Norris win in 2016? (4/9 each)
Two Formula Renault 2.0s, Eurocup and NEC, and Toyota Racing Series.

24. Antonio Giovinazzi is a champion of which series?
Formula Pilota China. No one would've guessed that. I know because no one guessed it.

25. What series did George Russell do a full season of without a win?
Formula Renault 2.0 Alps. The winner was Nyck de Vries, who had just over 50% more points than runner-up Charles Leclerc.

26. Besides F1, what series did Lance Stroll do a full season of without a win?
Florida Winter Series. I know that's mean, but at least I didn't ask something about championship positions.

27. In the 1985 Australian Grand Prix, both Renaults retired from failures of what part?
The gearbox. It wasn't some Arrows-style hilarity, but 34 years later, they'd make up for it.

28. Kimi Räikkönen debuted in F1 with which helmet manufacturer?
Arai. Not even I care, honestly.

29. In what year did the Red Bull Junior Team take on Sebastian Vettel?
The answer is 1998. Seriously. I have sources that aren't Wikipedia.

30. Where did Otmar Szafnauer finish in the Piggly Wiggly Grand Prix?
13th. It would be his best finish in a USF2000 series.

Scores
CarloSpace: 8 4/9
Rob Dylan: 3 2/3
yannicksamlad: 3

Over twice as many points as second place. What a win.
Rob Dylan wrote:Mercedes paying homage to the other W12 chassis by breaking down 30 minutes in
dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

If I may...

I think the problem is with these quizzes is that the 3/30 scored by the bottom two is about as much as anyone could hope to get, without looking any of the answers up. I'd have scored 1/30 had I tried, because the only answer I'd have had even the slightest hope of knowing was Alan Stacey and his missing leg - and that's only because I've been reminding myself about deceased F1 drivers, otherwise I might not have thought of him, and scored a big fat zero. Any others I'd get right would have been a blind guess in the dark. In effect, it'd be much the same as entering a quiz about Gilbert & Sullivan operas. I know the names of a few, but none of the details.

What made Aislabie's Nations Quiz a great one, one that I was prepared to enter - the questions weren't so crazily obscure that I knew quite a few of the answers, so that made it worth my time, and any I didn't know weren't quite so much about blind guesswork because I might be in the right area. And that's really the only quiz I can think of from the last... two or three years, that I remember thinking "I'm going to have a go at this right now!"

I think this is worth bearing in mind when the inevitable summer downtime approaches, because that might be quiz time again to give us something to do.
"...the Life W12, I can't describe the noise to you, but imagine filling your dustbin with nuts and bolts, and then throwing it down the stairs, it was something akin to that!"
CarloSpace
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by CarloSpace »

Wow, that was a thrashing performance by me! Really surprised by the winning margin although there were some wild guesses that ended up right (like Bernoldi's best track :o ).

Overall I think the questions favoured me because some of the obscure ones like Grosjean's Andros Trophy, Kimi's helmet manufacturer and the evil Carlos Sainz question just were ones that I knew by heart. Participating in the Black Stig forum's alternative championships helps a lot too... :D
WaffleCat

Post by WaffleCat »

Time for another Sporcle quiz, this time about drivers who technically took part in a Grand Prix, but not quite...

https://www.sporcle.com/games/WaffleCat/friday-practice-drivers-in-formula-one
My friend's USB drive spoiled, spilled tea on her laptop and had a bird poo in her hand.

What did she do in her past life to deserve this?

Signup for the Random Racing League, Season TWO!!!
dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

20/32 - not bad, I reckon, for a tricky one. Knowing your GP2 drivers from days of yore will certainly help!
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

Couldn't think of how to spell the Chinese guy's name, then accidentally got it when typing in one of the Italian guys' names :D a solid 8, and I'm proud of that. Many of these were before my time, and even those who weren't were quite forgettable.
Murray Walker at the 1997 Austrian Grand Prix wrote:The other [Stewart] driver, who nobody's been paying attention to, because he's disappointing, is Jan Magnussen.
Felipe Nasr - the least forgettable F1 driver!
FortiWinks

Post by FortiWinks »

23/32 for me, satisfied with that result
Knows two facts about ducks and both of them are wrong
Bleu

Post by Bleu »

Bleu

Post by Bleu »

dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

Officially, I scored 32/40 on that, but in reality it was 33/40 because I knew "the BMW bloke" (won't give away who it is) but couldn't spell his name right. Which isn't usually a problem, but it was today. Bah.
Butterfox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Butterfox »

i got a 31/40 on that though it should've been 32 because for some reason some italian bloke's name only worked if you use a capital letter, whilst this is not a problem for others.
I don't know what i want and i want it now!
Bleu

Post by Bleu »

Hamilton pictured in all 37 circuits he's driven at. So pick the picture of the circuit asked:

https://www.sporcle.com/games/Bleu/wher ... -driving-2
Bleu

Post by Bleu »

Pick a year based on the race calendar listed:

https://www.sporcle.com/games/Bleu/f1-calendars-1
Har1MAS1415

Post by Har1MAS1415 »

Sporcle's obviously popular here