Batchelor's Shot at Brilliance

The place for discussion of all aspects of the gprejects.com website
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

Evening everyone :)

GP Rejects may be focussed on Formula One, but the essence of being rejectful can affect every single motorsport series on the planet, and this time we've taken a look at touring cars, specifically the FIA's resumption of the World Touring Car Championship. We've come across a story so quintessentially rejectful that it almost defies belief. This is the story of Brilliance, a tie-up between a hopeful Chinese manufacturer and perennial BTCC backmarker and general spiv John Batchelor (yes, that's John B&Q for those who remember early 2000s BTCC). A entry which looked, well, brilliant on paper, but quite like Stefan GP, never turned a wheel in anger.

Another debutant to our writing roster, it's Pinkd56 who takes centre stage, having stumbled across the Brilliance story in other motorsport forums and was determined to bring it to a larger audience (well, GPR is world-famous after all :pantano:). Read his efforts right here tonight!

Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
dinizintheoven

Re: Batchelor's Shot at Brilliance

Post by dinizintheoven »

Well, there's one I didn't know. I do remember "John B&Q" in the BTCC standings - usually not doing very well, I remember the Brilliance BS6 and the abortive attempt to sell it in Europe (Auto Express was really trumpeting its imminent arrival) right up to the point where its crash test showed you'd be better off driving a Fiat Panda with terminal rust into a big wall. But I'd never heard of the attempt to put those two together.

I doubt it'd have fared too well, mind - and that's before we get to what would happen had the car been in the kind of spectacular accident that touring car racing is known for; Gabriele Tarquini (of Reject fame) and Charlie Cox (of "Reject Top Gear" fame) spring immediately to mind.
James Allen, on his favourite F1 engine of all time:
"...the Life W12, I can't describe the noise to you, but imagine filling your dustbin with nuts and bolts, and then throwing it down the stairs, it was something akin to that!"
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

That article was quite simply...

How shall I put it it?

....Brilliant.

Thank you.
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
Alextrax52

Post by Alextrax52 »

I loved this article because I’d never heard of this operation before. I guess that’s the beauty of having a community like this because we all learn something we didn’t know

One thing I’m curious about is the article mentioned Cyan Racing has Chinese links but I couldn’t find anything along the lines because I thought Cyan were a Swedish operation. Could anyone expand on this?

Cyan Racing is runnin the Lynk & Co cars in WTCR. Lynk & Co is a parent company of Volvo that is chinese!
Klon
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Klon »

I must say I adore your writing style and would like to see more from you in the future. A brilliant debut, no doubt. Lame puns aside, really, great job.
Har1MAS1415

Post by Har1MAS1415 »

For extra-rejectful measure, Batchelor also entered the 2005 BTCC with the Super 2000 Honda Civic, initially with him to drive and later with Richard Marsh but, like Brilliance in the WTCC, the car didn't appear at all!

Having said that though, his team weren't too bad in 2003, Tom Boardman scored 7 class wins and only a slow start and engine penalties stopped him from being a title contender.
Pinkd56
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Pinkd56 »

Freeze-O-Kimi wrote:One thing I’m curious about is the article mentioned Cyan Racing has Chinese links but I couldn’t find anything along the lines because I thought Cyan were a Swedish operation. Could anyone expand on this?

Cyan Racing is runnin the Lynk & Co cars in WTCR. Lynk & Co is a parent company of Volvo that is chinese!

Cyan Racing - despite being a Swedish team (formed from the original Flash Engineering!) is now wholly owned by Volvo and in turn Geely. So not so much a Chinese team but as the two are so intrinsically linked it is worth mentioning.

Thank you all for your kind comments however :)
SuperTourer0911

Post by SuperTourer0911 »

Very enjoyable article! :)