The Marco Simoncelli MotoGP Thread

The place for anything and everything else to do with F1 history, different forms of motorsport, and all other randomness
Samster

Re: The Marco Simoncelli MotoGP Thread

Post by Samster »

Well Romano Fenati has gone and proven himself to be the Ferrucci of bike racing today by reaching out and grabing the brake of Stefano Manzi, who had earlier forced him into the gravel. How that didn't result in an almighty crash is beyond me. :shock: He's been given a two race ban. I'd say this is more dangerous than anything Ferrucci did at Silverstone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xTTmSxCYHzc
Bleu

Post by Bleu »

Reject of the Year all but wrapped up for Fenati.
CarloSpace
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by CarloSpace »

Samster wrote:Well Romano Fenati has gone and proven himself to be the Ferrucci of bike racing today by reaching out and grabing the brake of Stefano Manzi, who had earlier forced him into the gravel. How that didn't result in an almighty crash is beyond me. :shock: He's been given a two race ban. I'd say this is more dangerous than anything Ferrucci did at Silverstone.

The story continues: https://www.motorsport.com/moto2/news/fenati-2019-mv-agusta-moto2-deal-terminated/3174464/?nrt=212

Fenati fired from his team AND his next season contract with MV Agusta team voided. Interesting to see whether he'll be able to make a comeback after this latest incident. After all, it wasn't the first time he's lost his cool on track.

Hopefully he'll finally learn from this one and could perhaps come back more mature one day. He is a very talented rider no matter how stupid his behaviour has been.
mario

Post by mario »

CarloSpace wrote:
Samster wrote:Well Romano Fenati has gone and proven himself to be the Ferrucci of bike racing today by reaching out and grabing the brake of Stefano Manzi, who had earlier forced him into the gravel. How that didn't result in an almighty crash is beyond me. :shock: He's been given a two race ban. I'd say this is more dangerous than anything Ferrucci did at Silverstone.

The story continues: https://www.motorsport.com/moto2/news/fenati-2019-mv-agusta-moto2-deal-terminated/3174464/?nrt=212

Fenati fired from his team AND his next season contract with MV Agusta team voided. Interesting to see whether he'll be able to make a comeback after this latest incident. After all, it wasn't the first time he's lost his cool on track.

Hopefully he'll finally learn from this one and could perhaps come back more mature one day. He is a very talented rider no matter how stupid his behaviour has been.

The problem is that it isn't the first time that he has got himself into trouble for that sort of behaviour, suggesting that it is more of an ingrained trait than just a momentary lapse in judgement.

He'd already been involved in controversy in Moto3 when he kicked Niklas Ajo during a warm up session, before disabling Ajo's bike on the grid to prevent him from getting a practise start back in 2015.

In 2016, he eventually got himself sacked from Rossi's VR46 Moto3 team after "repeated behaviour not in line with the disciplinary rules of a team". Rossi later confirmed that it was because of Fenati's violent and uncontrollable temper, with the team eventually "giving up" on trying to control his violent outbursts: it also came amidst rumours that he had an extremely violent quarrel with Uccio Salucci, Rossi's friend and co-manager of the team, and that Fenati might even have attacked Salucci, after he was disappointed at only qualifying in 11th for the Austrian GP.

Now, it is fair to say that Manzi wasn't exactly guiltless either - he was riding rather aggressively in that race, and in fact crashed out later because of that. Even so, it seems that Fenati's behaviour there wasn't a one off event, but instead part of a wider pattern of uncontrolled violent behaviour.
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
madmark1974

Post by madmark1974 »

Was just checking the TV schedules to try and find the MotoGP highlights for this weekend's race and it seems as if Channel 5 have the rights, but not for the first race of the season?

Very odd, perhaps they'll put it on their website or something ...
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

Radio Times says it'll be on as highlights at 5pm. Might be wrong though?
Murray Walker at the 1997 Austrian Grand Prix wrote:The other [Stewart] driver, who nobody's been paying attention to, because he's disappointing, is Jan Magnussen.
Felipe Nasr - the least forgettable F1 driver!
madmark1974

Post by madmark1974 »

Rob Dylan wrote:Radio Times says it'll be on as highlights at 5pm. Might be wrong though?

Hmm, I'll have a flick though the schedules on my Freesat box again tonight in case I missed it. Thanks for the info!
madmark1974

Post by madmark1974 »

Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

Good job by Dovizioso for holding his ground to the end and clinching it. Was worried that Marquez was going to nick it there at the end. Also a good job from Crutchlow to keep it on the podium amidst very little attrition and in the circumstances.

Quartararo looks solid, though bad luck obviously afflicted his first race. He pulled the fastest lap at least, and that's something for your debut.

I'm really getting frustrated with Viñales. I like the guy and I've been following him since Moto3, but it's difficult to support him when he keeps messing up at critical points, and only really coming into his own at the very end of the race.
Murray Walker at the 1997 Austrian Grand Prix wrote:The other [Stewart] driver, who nobody's been paying attention to, because he's disappointing, is Jan Magnussen.
madmark1974

Post by madmark1974 »

Not sure if there are any MotoGP followers left on here, but there have been lots of goings-on in the last few weeks, most notably Quartararo taking Rossi's place in the factory Yamaha team for 2021 alongside Vinales, and Andrea Iannone's future being decided in the courtroom after testing positive for a steroid.

Also we've got Dani Pedrosa and Jorge Lorenzo still out there in new testing roles and all the 2020 bikes being revealed. It's all happening!
Kinnikuniverse

Post by Kinnikuniverse »

hello, guys!

i'm making a non-canon series based on an alternate 2003 world suberbike championship scenario. motorcycles are the only kind of racing that hasn't been covered yet in these forums, and i hope you moto fans are interested in participating!
Frogfoot9013

Post by Frogfoot9013 »

It seems like the Czech Grand Prix might be sadly dead and buried. :(

James Hunt, commentating on the 1991 German Grand Prix wrote:The Benettons looking very smart together on the track, mostly because they're both going so slowly.
Alextrax52

Post by Alextrax52 »

How long until we start asking VR46 to hang up the keys? It’s sobering seeing him out the points on merit
Alextrax52

Post by Alextrax52 »

RIP to Jason Dupasquier who was tragically killed in qualifying for Moto3. He was only 19 years old. Absolutely awful news.
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

The grand tale of Vinales at Yamaha has come to an end, and now Maverick is off to Aprilia for next season.

In the words of Gordon Ramsay, "what a shame". I remember the glory days of 2017 when it looked like he was the great new thing that would storm Yamaha to a title. It all unravelled relatively quickly from there and it seems both parties are completely fed up with one another. Whether Yamaha's accusation (which Vinales has apologised for) is even true, it seems more like both parties are doing whatever they can to cut the cord as quickly as possible. Like a bad breakup, maybe it's for the best for everyone.